PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Attendance up or down so far?

Nightmaresgate
10-13-2012, 01:58 PM
We have been an odd roller coaster this year. Getting fabulous reviews... everything I could hope for actually. But some nights attendance is great... others not so much? How about you guys?
Corwyn
Nightmare's Gate Haunted House
nightmaresgate.com

Mike Goff
10-13-2012, 03:40 PM
we have had 2 record breaking nights, but on the nights that we are usually the busiest, it has rained and hurt the overall numbers. Like you said, it has been a roller coaster. At this point, it could go either way, we might be up a little, or down a little. It's raining right now. Rain sucks.

Haunted Castle
10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
worse attendance in 18 years

SCfearfarm
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
down about 30% in attendance but rain hit us last Saturday.....hopefully we can make it back up

HauntedMemphis
10-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Between a rainout on both days of opening weekend, 2 less days this year to start with, and the second weekend of the month being way down from last season, I can only describe this season as a disaster for attendance. We've had great reviews from people who have attended, but now we need to figure out how to fill more seats for the last two weeks of the season. I think it's more a marketing problem than anything else. Since we aren't a straight up haunted house or haunted trail, people seem tentative about buying in and trying it.

Howie Slobber Erlich
10-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Worst year in 26 years!

drfrightner
10-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I started this same exactly thread on the other forums... this is probably our worst attendance in 10 plus years! Its pretty bad but not horrible. We got hit with Rain on a Friday that killed that night, and now we have the Cardinals making another run to a World Series. I have a few things I'm milling around in my mind as to why...

I should do a seminar on the subject but I think I know why attendance is going flat to down for most haunts ... sure rain or weather can have an impact but there are other reasons.

Larry

Howie Slobber Erlich
10-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Ok Larry,

We are all waiting to hear your theory. You said on the other post let's talk about it. So what do you think some of the other reasons are?

Greg Chrise
10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I think the real world might be getting scarier than what can be created for entertainment.

Nuclear melt downs
Who is going to be President
The beginning of WW3 in the middle east
The economy totally crashing
What is the new flu epidemic
Myan Profecy and Bible says things

All at least possible scenarios now discussed by the regular media, not just conspiracy media anymore. Every cause and concern is getting air time and fear scenario attention and it is at least to make money for the media people even if it is all just another Y2K and nothing happens in the end. Fear sells and they sure are selling.

There was an article that even these baseball games aren't really getting the attendance and they move people in the stands to fill the seats on the lower decks so it looks full on TV.

evilmanor
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Our numbers are down considerably, but much of that is that we missed out last year due to not getting a suitable building. We are also in a neighboring town with less population this year. It's picking up and we're getting great reviews, but definitely not the numbers we're used to. This past weekend we decided to add the 2nd and 3rd of Nov to the season to see if we can help bring the numbers back up.

I read this encouraging article earlier today. http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=Dashboard&id=54

We're hoping that attendance is waiting till it's closer to Halloween.

Bradenton Haunted Trail
10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Greg Chrise;141951]I think the real world might be getting scarier than what can be created for entertainment.

Nuclear melt downs
Who is going to be President
The beginning of WW3 in the middle east
The economy totally crashing
What is the new flu epidemic
Myan Profecy and Bible says things

Well Thanks Greg for my theam for next years Haunt.....lol

But yea my numbers are down by almost 30% also but you never know untill all the cards are laid on the table. And after the whooping the cards took they may be under the table......lol

Shawn

DDJR
10-17-2012, 10:40 PM
We are down and i am doing more advertising and being more creative with the advertising as much as i have grown to love this buisness i am starting to have second thoughts

Fairbanks Asylum
10-18-2012, 06:38 AM
This is our first year open and though the first weekend of October was a bit slower, this last weekend and coming weekends look to be exponentially bigger for us. Then again we saturated the market here with coupons, radio and TV adds. Plus in fairbanks we are the onlything going on right now. So that does tend to help.

Rob
Owner
www.fairbanksasylum.com

Mike Goff
10-18-2012, 06:48 AM
forcast is calling for rain Friday and Saturday.

Mephisto the Great
10-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Down close to 40% so far this year. Probably the worst in five years, with no real explanation. Even after a really tough (quality-wise) year a few years ago, people still came in droves. Not sure what's up, but it's tough to see so far...

Cliff
10-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Bad year to open our first indoor haunt! our trail is at 50% of last years number. the indoor is doing about 20% of predictions!

mrfoos
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
This is our first year. We are seeing somewhere around 2/3 the numbers we forcasted and needed to break even. It's so close it's impossible not to dwell on "what could we have done better to motivate them to come out?" Strangely our numbers appear to be matching our Facebook numbers almost exactly.

And then I get to hear that some of the actors who we introduced "haunting" to are saying "I can't wait to apply at Netherworld next year" which is an hour away.

It's hard not to feel a little bummed.

savageroad
10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
This year we increased our marketing by 500%, moved to a larger building (next door to our old building), built up our show by 200%, have gotten incredible reviews and yet our attendance has been way down. Needless to say we are all scratching our heads!

wickedfarmer
10-29-2012, 06:33 PM
So everyone was not at the movies... Believe we eneded down 25%. Which I am actually happy with considering weather we had; Tigers in World Series (LOL) and a nutjob shooting at least 24 cars the last several weeks on the two highways we are at the intersection of. large groups cancelled rather than run the gauntlet of bullets to get to us.

Wicked Farmer

Howie Slobber Erlich
10-30-2012, 06:39 AM
wickedfarmer,

I hear ya! This has been the worste weather during haunt season that I ever remember. It has rained every weekend. Looks like we may be lucky enough to break even for the season!

BigT
10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
This has been an interesting year for us. As I mentioned in the other posts, our attendance is tricky. Overall we have had decent attendance - we will be able to show a growth rate from last year. I was not expecting to show a profit this year, or next year, but steady growth has been my goal and we are on target. Weather absolutely is a factor in this area, but rain didn't prevent many from coming out. The temps were up though; had it been colder and it would have been different.

We have one more night, and we are marketing heavily through multiple sources. It will be a real gauge for us if we get a good turnout tomorrow night.