PDA

View Full Version : Oak Island's Claustrophobia Product Question

Raycliff Manor
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
We just ordered the Claustrophobia product from Oak Island. Has anyone else used this and do you have any suggestions, feedback, etc.? We are putting this at the end of our attraction and we will be providing an Emergency Exit door just prior to the Claustrophobia entrance. Any insights or input would be greatly appreciated!

Kel

TheGallows
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I believe that "Nightmare on 13th" in Salt Lake City, Ut uses this within their haunt. It is pretty cool, but it really only scares those people that are claustrophobia. I would recommend a good actor at the end of it getting the people that come out of it. I was curious to where they got that. thanks .

Ryan

SomeThingInTheIce
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Kel, I have not used one of these but, I have been in a haunted house built by Oak Island that used them. It was at Howl-O-Scream and the haunted house was called "The Mortuary" It took you through all the steps that leads to you being buried. At the end they used the claustrophobia bags to make a tunnel that you had to push through, up above they had women morners who were crying and waving thier hankerchiefs goodbye. It was a very good house and the effect was cool, a draw back I could see is some a$$ taking something sharp and cutting the bags . Its rip stop cloth so any hole will not get any bigger and can patch easy. Hope this helps, sounds like your house is going to rock this year.

Nightgore
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
That's why you always tell them to keep there hands on the persons shoulders in front of you... not only in the "q-line" but all the actors must be aware of it and enforce it.

I have seen this product in action at Kings Island, All I can say is to have someone at the end or maybe a speaker in front saying "follow me... closer... closer...." Also, maybe a sign above the products entrance that says "push" or "dig".

Can't wait to see pics of this years haunt Kelly. -Tyler

Raycliff Manor
05-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! Great info! Some of the new rooms are really coming together now! Very exciting! :D

Kel

Dead End Haunted House
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah nightmare on 13th does use them they were awesome! People were hiding in between them or by them and reaching out and stuff it was pretty cool!

creature
05-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Just got mine delivered to me a few days ago..got the 16' one + Looking forward to getting it put up!!

-Tim

Raycliff Manor
05-23-2007, 07:35 AM
16'! Very cool Tim! We got the 12' version. If you have any tips after installing yours, I'd love your feedback! Have fun experimenting with it! I know we will! :lol:

Kel

Mike Bizub
05-23-2007, 08:07 AM
We also got the 12 ft one.. Our plan is to use it at the very begining so we can keep a close eye on it and watch for back ups. Mike

Mr Nightmarez
05-23-2007, 08:31 AM
We bought one too, and can't wait to throw it into the mix. We are using it in a cave as a cave-in... :wink:

We are modifying things a bit but when it's done it will be about 20ft long "Buried Alive" approach - at the end of our tour...

Only worry we are having is moisture, since we have a high humidity in the cave. We may have to put fans on both sides to help alleviate moisture... or people will come out the other side "all wet" :twisted:

Raycliff Manor
05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
The cave-in concept sounds cool! A little water won't kill em. :lol: We're going to have to have a thread dedicated to feedback on this product because you know we're going to have some hysterical stories to tell! :shock:

Kel

Jim Warfield
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Placing it at the beginning of the tour could be good because usually the vandal customers aren't quite ready to begin their nastiness early in the tour, maybe their comfort level isn't there yet?

MDKing
05-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Jim might be on to something with that statement. They seem to get worse as the tour develops....

Allan

Jim Warfield
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I think that sometimes people gulp a shot , can seem sober , then after a short time in the house the "Screaming Drunk" chemicals kick in and the metamorphisis happens.
I also think that our radical anti-social-impolite style of entertainment(as seen and so defined by some others) inspires some to react vandalistic.
I mean, really, one is not supposed to purposely frighten total strangers now are we?
(That's why I introduce myself first!)
hahahahah!

Nightgore
05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Kelly, this product also creates major bottlenecking if left alone. Make sure you stick an actor on the entrance and the exit of it. -Tyler

Jim Warfield
05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
..and provide them each with a bottle opener. A cattle prod would do it.

William
06-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Is the claustrophobia prop similar to "the Big Squeeze" being sold at Ghost Ride Productions?

Nightgore
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
No offense to Ghostride but the two products are similar, but Oak Islands is better! -Tyler

undertaker
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Isn't there a concern that someone might spread something? I mean with a bunch of people walking through and it rubbing against them, doesn't sound very sanitary.

Nightgore
06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
They are very easy to clean, plus... I don't think a patron is in it long enough to do much of anything! This is why you need actors stationed at this bad... armed with a can of lysol! LOL! -Tyler

Nightmaretony
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
if it is an airbag version, the funniest use I ever seen was in the old Elvira haunt at Knotts, when you were trapped between two of her famous assets...

Nightgore
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
That's awesome... every haunt male's dream come true!!!! HAHAHA!!! Did they advertise that at all or just an added bonus? -Tyler

drfrightner
06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
So has anyone put this into use yet? I was worried about people ripping it or getting stuck in there. Has it worked out?

Larry

Jim Warfield
06-22-2007, 10:15 PM
"Butt wut if eye git stuck in there?"
"If you get stuck just be sure and get his name!"
(Funny how all of my helpers are named "Larry!")
except for Daryl and Daryl.

Brandon_K
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
We have run our Claustrophobia for 16 nights of operation now.

So far, no damage to it as of yet and to my knowledge, no major freak out's. We have provided a "chicken exit" should someone know that they will freak out.

The only issue is that it tends to get wet... I don't know if it's slobber, sweat or what, but it gets wet on heavy nights...

We have been running the blowers on low / low. I'm going to turn them up to med. / low and see how that works.

People seem to be loving it. Most people that I see coming out are all smiles saying "that was cool!", etc.

bhays
10-17-2007, 02:59 PM
We built our own version this season and it is going just fine so far. People love it.

MindWerxKMG
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
What is everyone using to sterilize/sanitize these units? Sounds like a great way to pass around colds, flu and even lice.

bhays
10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
What is everyone using to sterilize/sanitize these units? Sounds like a great way to pass around colds, flu and even lice.

I suppose we are just 'spreadin' the love'

TrueDungeon
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
We ran 3,000 people through ours in August -- with no problems. And 99% of the players came out with giggles and smiles. Most just loved the completely new experience. I hope to create a "cave-in" effect next year with next year. I love the idea of it inflating around them.

Just be sure to mount it two feet off the ground to avoid any tripping hazards.

Finally, I am going to try to do a "spiked wall" version of this effect myself. Should be cool for groups going down a "trapped" hallway -- if I can get the "spikes" to inflate fast. I might try an air compressor...

Brandon_K
10-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Jeff, if you're going to make the spikes anything like the size of the Oak Island product, a compressor won't work. There simply isn't enough volume there and these bags need high volume, low pressure. An air compressor is going to give you high pressure, low volume.

TrueDungeon
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I think the volume of displacement will be much smaller -- so maybe a air compressor will work. The trick will be to design a good way to deliver that air blast to all 50 spikes without making something complicated. I may have to only do a line of 6 spikes on each side so the available compressed air will do the trick.

Oh...and if I use white silk and hook up an AC light trigger, the spikes can light up red when they activate.

scattered screams
10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I went to the Edge Of Hell last weekend and they have something like this and my girlfriend's daughter about passed out. But she up and ready afterwards to go into the beast. But in all this a great item.

Raycliff Manor
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Our guests have been loving the Claustrophobia! Even with all of our time spent on creating very detailed and elaborate sets, they are still raving mostly about the claustrophobia and the blackout area following it! We deflate the bags periodically and spray them down with Lysol. So far we haven't had too much trouble with bottlenecking, but we have an actor who does an outstanding job of motivating the guests through and a uniformed security person right outside to step in when necessary and make a presence. The most common response to Claustrophobia has been, "That was awesome!" We're really glad we invested in this Oak Island product! It's also made for a great new buzz and hype and an excellent press and media interview topic. You can allude to a lot without giving too much away. This is one of those scares that you can really hype up and let people's anticipation and imagination do the rest!

Kel

Jast223
10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
We have one and even without a actor there they seem to go through and I haven't heard anything bad about it. I have even heard customers coming out saying that it was cool. No real bottleneck problems because we put the fans on switches that can be controlled by our control room. Of course I like the Rip stop cloth and it has been tested and the bags come off with a couple screws for repair. I find its a great dead space killer.

WARLORD
10-22-2007, 03:46 PM
We have one at our haunt. I agree they are a good use in a hard to fill space. We have ours at the end of a black hallway. You go around the corner, and we have a black light with an arrow painted on each side of the wall, with black light paint. We did fear back ups but that has not been the case. We have had ours get ripped twice now. (we opened Sept 20th and operate 5 days a week), but both times we were able to remove the ripped side, repair it and have it up the next day. Both times the wall did remain inflated, even ripped, and both rips were large, (3 foot rips). We chose to deflate the walls to prevent further ripping, but again they were easy to repair. we also have ours with a seperate switch for each wall, in our control room so that the walls can be quickly deflated for bottle neck issues (which have not occured) or for handicap accessability ( which has occured). We use lysol spray disinfectant routinely to help disinfect. We do not have an actor stationed at the begining, and the actor in the next scene will sometimes be near the end but basically we use it as a stand alone prop.
It is not really a scare, (unless you are clastrophobic) but our customers seem to really have fun going through it.
We have been very happy with this product.

screamshow
10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
SOmeone please post pics of this thing :)

Brandon_K
10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll have some pics and video up tonight or tomorrow of ours.

Brandon_K
10-25-2007, 10:19 AM
As promised. Excuse the quality. We had just shut down and there was still a little fog in the air. Not to mention, we don't have much in the way of house lights in that particular area. The flash lit it up ok, but the video's could have been better. I'll try to get some better quality shots and video up, when it's daylight.

Video of bags inflating (http://brandon.hundredacresmanor.com/stuff/07season/claus-bagsinflate.avi)

Video of blower (nothing exciting...) (http://brandon.hundredacresmanor.com/stuff/07season/claus-blower.avi)