PDA

View Full Version : Show Moving Thoughts?

graystone
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
This has been brought up before just wanted to touch base on thoughts. This has nothing to do with anything other than I would love to visit a new city and explore. I mean ok we have seen all of St. Louis we can I think. I know in the begininning the show moved to St. Louis because things cost less. However I think by charging to attend. and other charges they and I mean the convention center have grown to the attatude of well they are here to stay so we can do what we like. I feel there are other parts of the country that could be competitive with St. Louis and TransWorld could make more. I would like to host the party in a new town, see more haunts, tourist attractions. These are just my thoughts and I am not knocking TW or anything involving the show or city. I just think a fresh face and city would bring added interest to other actavities after the show closes. Just would like some opinions and hey if you like it there then so be it I want to hear that as well. It's not a thread to put down the show or any events surrounding it just is anyone ready for a change of new sights? Shane and it's give your opinion!

austind
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Shane I a long time ago in the 80 I own a computer company and the largest convention in the world was called Comdex. It was a computer components show and was held twice a year once in Las Vegas and the alternating years in Chicago and Atlanta so every year I would chose a different locaction. I am not saying have more conventions I am suggesting that it moved between three locations in a patern. This way the host city will still be motivated in keeping you around in 3 years and we get to see other areas of the country. Just my thoughts.

Phatman

Darkangel
01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I think wherever it goes it should stay in that central region, not in Vegas anything or anywhere west of St. Louis. Memphis has been brought up that might be cool.

DA

graystone
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Texas
Nashville
Atlanta
Dallas
Orlando
Birmingham
Memphis
Houston
These would be good places! Vegas not so much I agree with Dark! Shane and it I think there are great places to visit!

Deathwing
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
It wont go to Orlando now that a new show is going there in May. The south would be nice since it's still March and cold mostly everywhere else.
Personally, I like it in St Louis lots of good food, centrallylocated.
Jake

freak 'n' stein
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm ALL about the southern states...ESPECIALLY ATL. That's a hop skip and a jump for me! Not gonna lie, I love STL and since this will be my fourth year in a row I've kinda gotten complacent. I love the Ren and I love City Museum.

Valley_of_Screams
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Atlanta...NETHERWORLD BABY! -Tyler

BrotherMysterio
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Well, being partial to Texas, I'm sure I'm prejudiced, but we have a lot of very serious haunt action happening here. Good for tours where you get to see different haunts each year and so on. Plus, Dallas is a convention town, so definitely a place to easily host whatever you'd like.

C.

Nashville Nightmares
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Nashville's new convention center is about to open this year. Plenty and i mean plenty of restaurants, bars, and entertainment within walking distance. Nice hotels all around. Up to six Haunts that could open for the show, seven if we count Disturbia which is only an hour and a half south of us. Just saying, Nashville would be nice!

riverswampboat
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
It wont go to Orlando now that a new show is going there in May. The south would be nice since it's still March and cold mostly everywhere else.
Personally, I like it in St Louis lots of good food, centrallylocated.
Jake

What new show is going to Orlando in May? I am not doing Transworld this year I am burned out......Will prob try Mid West Haunters Convention.
Orlando is a 4 hr. drive from me so I would be very interested in a Haunted trade show/ convention there.

damon carson
01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
The only other place I would suggest is Atlanta! I have never been to Nether World and I want to be able to see it in the off season someday! Otherwise I love St. Louis!
Damon
www.frightmaster.weebly.com

Deathwing
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
What new show is going to Orlando in May? I am not doing Transworld this year I am burned out......Will prob try Mid West Haunters Convention.
Orlando is a 4 hr. drive from me so I would be very interested in a Haunted trade show/ convention there.

Here you go http://www.halloweenextreme.com/2012/08/

Michael Inks
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I cast my vote for Atlanta. Great city (and I'm sure the folks of Netherworld would love to show their wares.)

Mistress DeSade
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
This has been Leonard's model...so you might ask him how it's working. Memphis? Really?? I'm from there and have family...and I can't seem to ever find anywhere to go visit (haunt specific) when I'm there. Plus it's ICE, ICE baby if you're looking in feb/march. LOOK back on conventions and what worked/what didn't. When you have competition from "other entertainment" (think Disney/Vegas) attendance/success wanes.

Having worked many of the different conventions, I think the key is the offerings BY the convention that are of interest to haunters. There are ways to do that that haven't even been mentioned yet....

Twiztedfaces
01-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I vote New Orleans .....only problem is this city and its accessibility to the drinking crowd would kill them...lol...but we to have some serious Haunt action here . We also have a convention center that is giant in comparison to STL . And the weather around march is usually in the mid 70 to low 80's.

wickedfarmer
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I heard Shane is working on getting a cruise ship lined up for just haunters voyage in the Caribbean for 2014. The decks will be the trade show floor. He is booking Tater to do the stage show.

Wicked Farmer

Mistress DeSade
01-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I vote New Orleans .....only problem is this city and its accessibility to the drinking crowd would kill them...lol...but we to have some serious Haunt action here . We also have a convention center that is giant in comparison to STL . And the weather around march is usually in the mid 70 to low 80's.

Well...Legendary WAS just that! There are lots of haunt-related things that would support that. Cruise...hmmm...isn't that the bloody Mary cruise?

DeadendBrent
01-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Bring it north! Twin cities! Awesome convention center, right in the middle (east to west), lots of things to see/do, and the nicest people on earth! Under rated in the haunt community if I may add.

graystone
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
No I was working on having it on the moon something really special! Shane and it's I am working on rates!

Twin Locusts
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Most upside, least downside, potential = Hotlanta

Twiztedfaces
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Well...Legendary WAS just that! There are lots of haunt-related things that would support that. Cruise...hmmm...isn't that the bloody Mary cruise?

There's a reason why we are now having our 10th Super Bowl this year.We know how to throw a party

Darkangel
01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
There's a reason why we are now having our 10th Super Bowl this year.We know how to throw a party

This might be a long shot here, but it might be you have super bowls because it's a warm weather climate, dome, etc...

DA

Capt.Chaos
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I really enjoy St.Louis. I think it has a lot to offer. I am good with leaving it in St.Louis or moving it around on a 3 year schedule. I would give a big thumbs DOWN on Las Vegas. I'm out. That city has no "charm" if you get what I mean. And I just don't feel that it fits the Haunt family. I would go to Atlanta. I would go to Nashville. Texas sounds good.

I would love the twin cities. For me it's close and they do have some Great convention facilities. Rates are very competitive also. However, I'm not sure we could pull our warm blooded friends up here to enjoy after hours ice fishing and snowmobile racing. And what haunts are available to tour.

Whatever, I'm still coming.

Buck

Jolly Pumpkin
01-19-2013, 11:46 AM
My vote goes towards Atlanta also. I went about 3 years ago to see Netherworld and was just blown away by the city and Ben's haunt. Georgia is just beautiful.

kpolley
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
I hate to come in with my special brand of negativity...but here goes. Transworld is first and foremost a tradeshow. All the other "convention" activities are secondary. There are already numerous conventions that cater to the needs of those wanting to see other cities, have tons of haunt related parties, etc. Transworld is a business show. The location of the show should not be determined by anything other than what's best for the buyers and sellers. In my opinion, St. Louis has served that purpose well. I wouldn't like it if the show left (since I live here) but so long as it went somewhere reasonable I wouldn't fight it. You have to remember that the majority of major haunt companies are based in the central US. To put the show somewhere like Vegas (what a disaster that was) or New York or something makes no sense. The show simply has to be centrally located or you're going to lose vendors. I know I, for one, will never go to Vegas again.

This conversation comes up almost every year, but the main thing you have to remember is that it doesn't matter what anyone (you, me, or otherwise) thinks about the matter. It's up to TW what they will do and they seem happy with St. Louis. Until they decide to move the show (which I don't see happening anytime in the near future but hey, I'm just one man) the show won't go anywhere.

In closing, would I love to see other haunts in other towns? Sure, but there are shows that do that kind of thing. Most notably, Hauntcon. TW is the biggest show around because it is THE business show and we can't lose sight of that. That's my two cents. I'm stepping down from my soap box now...

DeadendBrent
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Lots of great haunts to tour in the twin cities...in march maybe not. I mean i could plow out the hayride trail! Bring your warm clothes! We have a high of -9 this coming Monday! It should be great........

DeadendBrent
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Well said kip! I like where your heads at! Very well put soap box speech.

Darkangel
01-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Why do all Haunters in the Midwest assume that most haunts are in the Midwest? Maybe, just maybe there are more by number but when you look at the BEST HAUNTS they are all along the east coast.

Netherworld
Spookywoods
Woods of terror
Bennets Curse
Bates motel
Fright land
Field of screams
Creepy woods
Terror behind the walls
Headless horsemen
Shocktoberfest
Spookyworld
Scarehouse

And many more...

You could count the south and add Disturbia and Atrox and many more.

Deathwing
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
A lot of big amusement park haunts on the east but some great haunts on the west coast too but admittedly it's not like the Midwest or out east.

Jake

Deathwing
01-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Kip is 100% right the show is and should always be about business. The parties and haunt tours are all icing on the cake but its business first and St Louis is a great host city for the show.

Jake

graystone
01-19-2013, 06:32 PM
I would like it close to my house to! NOT!! LOL actually that would be no fun for me and I am a man who can see any town he want's. BUT I CANNOT SEE IT WITH MY HAUNT BROTHERS AND SISTERS OR OTHER TOWNS WITH A LARGE GROUP OF FRIENDS! When I do it usually it has to be alone. I attend the Prevost Bus show every year and it always changes towns and that show is just like TW it's a buyers show. I also attend the Digital Photography show and it too changes towns. I know I had talked to Jen about doing a bus tour to see other haunts but when I thought about it if they were 4 or 5 hours away they would want to be getting ready to go to the show. I also can't see what other shows moving around would have to do with this one moving around. Again I am not looking to change anyones minds or thoughts. But to me if they went out and got more competitive rates everyone would win. Cheaper booth rental, means cheaper products or at the least a better than a big 5% discount you get especially on high dollar products that 5% has always left a bad taste in my mouth it's like really 5% usually I walk away it's the same as the asking price and I am still going to be begging for my stuff in August! This is not the norm for everyone but several. This is sliding south and I want to keep it on topic. Also in thinking of it some of us "Business" people can't go to all these smaller shows because we got real business to attend to and some of us don't live off the Haunt Industry this is another reason it would be cool to move it. I go to TransWorld to buy I don't have the time or energy to go every little show that pops up but other cities sure would give it a breath of fresh air. Shane and it's on well just a question..

Ohio would be awsome! Yes there is MHC but that show is totally different from TW and there are tons and could probably change up and see several haunts over a few year period. Yes I know this is a business show DUH just thinking outside the box. I think the Darkness and Lemp is awsome Larry has set the bar no doubt but there are others that would be awsome to see too because EVERYONE has something different to offer and it would be cool to see what else is out there :)

Dreamreaper
01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm in California and would love to see it come out west but I also would give my vote for Atlanta for a change and to see Netherworld.

Deathwing
01-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm in California and would love to see it come out west but I also would give my vote for Atlanta for a change and to see Netherworld.

Again that's what some are saying it shouldn't be about going to Atlanta to see netherworld it should be first about going to Atlanta to get a better Transworld show for business.

austind
01-19-2013, 08:48 PM
I think is about getting out to other parts of the country. I travel a lot an I am known for for the fact that i visit the zoo when I am working in a city. its just someting i have always done as a break away and clear my head. Conventions are not just the convention floor. I go for many other reasons, to see the sites, to see what changes have been done at the Darkness, and to see what is new for that year. Atlanta has a lot to offer as far as a city, lots of sights to see, one of the countries premier haunts, nice convention center and plenty of hotels. We have done St. Louis and it is a great host city, but if you want to include a little pleasure with business then there is not much there for me now. A lot of haunters are spending there vacation time from thier day job and having two reason to go some where would drive more people to the show and maybe like what Shane said lower prices for everyone involved. I like Atlanta if anybody is listening.

Phatman

Darkangel
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I've been to Atlanta several times and unless I just didn't get good advice as to where to go but I found the downtown of Atlanta to be a ghost town at night. Nothing was open, no people walking around and no restaurants to be found except for one steak house downtown but that's about it and food court at the CNN building. I know Buckhead is hot spot but its not like you can walk there from the convention center... If you're going for vacation than hell lets just move it to Orlando and call it a day lol

DA

john haines
01-19-2013, 09:26 PM
absolutely do not come to center city philadelphia. between the murders, the crime, the ripoff union rates ($80 dollars to screw in a light bulb last time). Then new convention center is nice, but a total ripoff. Plus, the police, the firemen, and the city services are ALL ready to go on strike. this city SUCKS the big one..........

Motograter
01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I think it would be nice to see the show move to a new city. Atlanta or Orlando would be my 2 favorite spots.

NightmareAftershockLLC
01-21-2013, 05:52 PM
I for one will almost 100% never go back to St. Louis. I'm praying they move it in the next 2 years, as I will be attending hopefully 2015. St. Louis was boring, uneventful, and a waste of my time.

Hoping for Atl, Vegas, or somewhere in Alabama near Disturbia.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-22-2013, 07:03 AM
California Is where I live and it's no wonder why I would love to see it come to San Diego or la or Vegas. By the way I don't know why no one loves Vegas as an idea. Anyways I read the recent 2013 list of best houses and if you notice the majority of them are in a hub with trans world centralized in the fear hive. I was just thinking if the show moved to the west coast you'd would see an increase in west coast champs on that list. I personally am about 6 years from my rookie year and first chance at being on that list but it would do good to see some other Californians representing.

Darkangel
01-22-2013, 07:20 AM
The Vegas show was considered a disaster by many Haunters because there was no sense of community or ideal gathering place for fellowship, in other words no place that was central for partying and drinking. People were spread out all over the strip and it just didn't feel like a haunt show to many. Also the haunt tours were pretty substandard and discombobulated it just seemed like on one was real happy about it.

I don't suspect it will ever go back to Vegas and the west coast extremely unlikely. Transworld does not strengthen and build a haunt community it's a tradeshow. Having the show in your city will not make your or your neighbors haunt better. There aren't any haunts on the west coast on the level of The Darkness that I'm aware of so I just don't see it leaving the Midwest area. I don't even see it coming here to the east where there are tons of top level haunts but only time will tell. Personally I like it in St. Louis it's centrally located.

DA

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Half serious about improving the haunts by moving it to the west coast. But I guess good point about Vegas. Fine consider it permanately taken off the table now in my opinion. But Cali is still a very viable option especially San Diego. St. Lou Orlando and San Diego those three rotate.

graystone
01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Will never happen in Vegas, and I don't want it in Bama either I live here LOL! I dunno I think it could move around and do just fine as long as it don't go to the west coast. Shane and it's oh well.....

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I guess they are just foolish hopes. After all the show needs to make money and so do the vendors who work their asses off to sell stuff. Fact of the matter is most of the buyers aren't on the west coast. Keep it over there guys ll afford the ticket eventually. And hey if it does ever come to Cali then maybe they'll also make the matrix 4!! Hahahahaha

Badger
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I interviewed Jen Braverman about this earlier this week for the new Big Scary Show and she says TW is staying in St. Louis through at least 2014, but after that who knows. She does not know if it will move after that and had compelling reasons to stay put but was open to moving at some point.

Although I never attended TW in Rosemont, most everyone I know who did said it was a great place. I don't believe anyone has mentioned bringing the show back there yet. Any reason as to why? I heard the last year was COLD but weather can't be the only reason...