PDA

View Full Version : Check out the Floor Plan for TW

drfrightner
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
http://www.expocad.com/host/fx/twe/ha2013/default.html

Its almost sold out... remember this show is NOW double the size from when it started. I remember people selling it wouldn't sell out then and now its almost sold out and its double the size! Way to go! How many new vendors can you pick out of this bunch. I love seeing new vendors.

Larry

FrightProps
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
It's even more sold out now. Adam @ Posion Props #224 just took the last booth on his island.

This the biggest show I've seen with loads of stuff going on after hours. This is by far the biggest industry trade show and should not be missed if you are into haunting. See you there!

Doug.

Gore Galore
02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I know this will be our biggest show to date with 10 booths.
We will have everything from
Giant Costumes
TONS of Actormatronics
Wall Decor
Oversized hand held weapons
static zombies
Several complete scene prop packages.
and the start of a brand new line of industrial quality animations
This is going to be a great show.
SO, DON'T miss it.

Transworld had to reserve tons more rooms than normal to accomodate ALL the new buyers and vendors that are coming to the show of the year.

Allen H
02-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Larry I think we are Neighbors!I cant wait for the show...Im a mask making machine!

john haines
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM
as usual, the dark zone gets smaller every year. see ya in HOUSTON next year. I'm done with THIS show................................

Deathwing
02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
as usual, the dark zone gets smaller every year. see ya in HOUSTON next year. I'm done with THIS show................................

Lol John do you even go to the Transworld show or for that matter Houston? The Houston show was DEAD!!! It sucks the big one!

Jake

FrightProps
02-04-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the Dark Zone is the same size as last year and the year before. At least it's the same sized space and that space is full. Some companies start out in the Dark Zone and then realize it's very hard to do business in the dark so they move the next year (I did that). There are certainly a lot more vendors at the show this year! Houston is a completely different show... no haunt businesses but lots of costumes. It would be the wrong show to go to if you think you are going to see the same things and people as you will find at TW.

Doug.

Allen H
02-04-2013, 07:45 AM
I hate the darkzone. It is an enviornment that it is difficult to do business in and the dark hides how often scarefactory's things arent working. I want to see the welds and see the bolts, They look awesome because they are only ever seen in the dark.
and Houston John? are you leaving the haunt business and getting into plastic plates? Everyone good at Houston will be at TW with bigger booths.
Allen H

Slain
02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Fellow haunters...Go behind the Scarefactory Magic Curtain and watch them fix all the broken stuff..

kpolley
02-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what John is talking about either. The Dark Zone is the same size it's been for years now and the show itself is growing. The Houston show, from everything I've heard, was an absolute ghost town. Houston is for people selling plastic pumpkins and President Obama masks. I know Distortions takes things there, but they have a line of products they are marketing to the retail crowd so it makes sense. I can say with certainty I will never attend that show. As long as we continue to do haunt tradeshows TW will be the one show we will always do.

Gore Galore
02-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I have to stand behind the Transworld show as a vendor who can attribute most of our success from being at the Transworld show.
SO, if you want to see Gore Galore products in action, you have to do the Haunt and Attractions show. You won't see us at any other show. Or if we do another show, it won't be even close to as much as we bring to the Transworld show.

tonguesandwich
02-04-2013, 12:11 PM
My booth is a third its size this year in the darkzone only because we are in the process of moving 3 of my biz from Las Vegas and Denver to Nashville. Time is the only factor.

drfrightner
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I have always been in a unique positions over the last 20 years of TW playing the part of vendor and buyers for my own haunts. I can honestly tell you I hate the dark zone. I don't go in there but maybe once just to run through really quick and back out. I don't want vendors who want to hide their equipment in the dark, I want to see it and appreciate it in the light! I know anything can look cool in the dark with lighting... I want to see it in the light.

Now before I get bum rushed... I'm not saying ANYONE is hiding in the dark zone. I know why they go in there... because of the haunt type conditions, fog, dark, controlled lighting, blah, blah, blah.

But honestly I think the dark zone is outdated and no longer needed. It was ONLY Needed back in the day when we shared a show with Halloween retail because of noise, fog, blah, blah, blah.

I say do away with the dark zone.

And as for the comment about going to Houston... HUH! You lost me there bro!

Larry

screamforadream
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I have to agree with a bunch of people on here, but lets also remember that we are NOT the only people going. There's a LOT of people that go to the show, maybe 1/20th of them are on Hauntworld either as guests or as actual members of the forums.

However, when I booked my booth a LONG time ago, I tried to do some research, I found that the two most popular locations on the tradeshow floor are the interactive haunted house and the dark zone. I also know that corner booths INCREASE your business on average, you get more exposure and it is easier for you to stand out. So this is what I did; I saw that the FIRST booth in the dark zone was OPEN. It was in one of the MOST loved/visited/whatever you want to call it, locations of the show, meaning the majority of people MAKE A CONSCIOUS EFFORT to go there, and being the first booth, we are guaranteeing that we get that foot traffic through our space. We are a first year vendor, we are trying to do everything as effectively as possible, so this was a HUGE plus to us, strictly from a business view, not as a "I want to hide the quality of my products" or "I want to show my products in an XYZ environment". I am CONFIDENT in our products, ESPECIALLY our foam products, 3 large pieces in particular, one of which was already released. I believe our products will speak for themselves no matter where they are, but being a less known name, we want to make sure more people get to actually see our product, so we will add lighting to our booth, which vendors ARE allowed to do in the dark zone!! The only rule to lighting in the dark zone is that you can NOT let ANY light flood outside of your space, especially into another vendors space. We plan on having small spots on our pieces, as well as encourage anyone to take our products two feet to the right and into the light of the main tradeshow. If done effectively and professionally, I have a VERY strong faith that all those measures we've taken, will be to our benefit, and will allow us to do better overall than being in the middle of a SEA of other vendors. The dark zone is smaller and our location is easy to find and easy to remember, making it simple for our clients to come find us and bring their friends back later in the show! :)

That's my two cents, but I see and respect where everyone else is coming from tho! But as a first year vendor, I respect and believe (or hope?! LOL) that the dark zone can be a benefit to us.

drfrightner
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I have been going to tradeshows longer than anyone I know... I've been to probably 100 shows as an exhibitor. I know from experience that booth location is NOT all its cracked up to be based on the show itself. If you go to IAAPA booth location could mean EVERYTHING because the show is 700,000 square feet.

However at the TW show I would say booth location doesn't matter a bit... I pose the challenge to anyone and everyone. Pick 10 people in the industry you know very well that do NOT VEND... lets go with Ben Armstrong, lets go with umm Randy Bates, or Dwayne Sandburg or whomever you want doesn't matter to me. Have ANY vendor you know in say the middle or the ends of the show... have them track how many times they saw the same guys.

I don't care where you booth is you will see them the SAME... I think the amount of times you see them in the dark zone will be half at best.

This show is small and people walk it over and over and over again... there is nothing else to do!

At IAAPA you are lucky to walk it once and then maybe return to a handful of booths that you had some interest.

The Dark Zone is overrated and probably gets 1/3 to half the traffic of say where Gore Galore will have their booth.

Anyone who goes in the Dark Zone is also over shadowed by Scarefactory another reason not to go in there... for me as a buyer I'm just saying hard to see, hard to hear, and really have no interest in staying in there for long periods of time or returning once I've been in there. But I bet most other buyers walking around the whole time go up and down isles multiple times just because...

I think having a booth near the food courts might even be better... but let me say this. Booth location means nothing without products people want to buy. Don't blame the show, your booth location, or anything else if your products suck they suck, if they are not what people wanted it is what it is... if you over priced your products then again your mistake. I think failure at the show has more to do with products, and price than booth locations.

Larry

FrightProps
02-04-2013, 06:52 PM
I used to think that location didn't matter, "I'll go anywhere! It's a small show!".

But then a couple of years ago I got SCREWED! I ended up with a 6 booth island that had 2 sides with no other vendors around it. They undersold the row or something and right before the show opened they removed a row and made my booth a pimple on the show. It effected my sales BIG TIME.

What I've learned is that when you are surrounded by other companies you will get more exposure and sales. The better the companies and traffic they produce the better for me! That's why I'm right outside the dark zone. People go into the dark zone multiple times. Also, Haunted Enterprises has a lot of loiterers - I like that. :).

Doug.

MDKing
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
How is doing business in the Darkzone difficult in any way? I've done a lot of business there over the years and have had no problems.
The Darkzone is something different and it's a bit unique from everywhere else on the show its not about hiding anything. It's the Haunted House business I just find it strange people are against a darkened room...

Allan

Marr Branch
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I am glad that Hauntworld's booth is not in the dark zone. Maybe someone there can tell me why I never get my magazines.

Grimley
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I do have to disagree that location does not mean anything. I have walked past some vendors I do business with before because their booth was in a bad spot and had to circle back to find them. And those are the ones I am familiar with. For a new company I think placement is critical.

screamforadream
02-04-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought location was important!! Thanks for the sigh of relief guys hahaha, I was almost worried there for a sec! :rolleyes:

Haunted Illinois
02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
How does the old saying go??? Everything in life is location, location, location. I think it really matters. Why does an apartment in Chicago, IL cost more than one in a small town? The same logic goes for why certain companies choose corner booths and why Transworld charges $100 extra for them. Apparently, there is added value to these spaces.

Have I exhibited at Transworld? NO. Have I attended every year, for more than ten years? YES.

As an attendee of the show, I have observed that those booths at the end of aisles are more memorable to me. There are times when I travel along the outside border aisles of the show, whether it is to find a specific aisle or to grab a snack from the food court. Either way, I definitely notice those booths on the ends a lot more than those buried in the middle of the aisles.

As for the whole Dark Zone argument… Per Larry, we don’t need the Dark Zone, because apparently, companies are just trying to “hide their equipment in the dark“. While that is one way of looking at it (and a very cynical way), I have a completely different perspective.

1) When you enter the Dark Zone, you see things under show lighting. This gives you a more realistic idea of how these props will look inside your attraction. Not only that, but you have to admit that the props in the Dark Zone, under show lighting, have a much more dramatic impact than those illuminated under normal lighting on the convention show floor.

2) Some vendors need the Dark Zone to properly promote their products. Here are just a few examples: AtmosFear FX (light projection products), Dead House Designs (large & small scale projection systems), Tekno Bubbles (Blacklight glowing bubbles), Glo Cone (Glowing concessions products), Happy Glow (Glow sticks and other glow products), Babette Laser Effects (Laser projection systems).

Without the Dark Zone, many of these companies wouldn’t even be able to properly display and promote their products. Just my two cents.

drfrightner
02-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Sorry to disagree but location just isn't that important at a small show... sorry but fact. The show just isn't that big and I can assure you every single haunter walks every single isle at least 10 times. Now location is EVERYTHING at IAAPA... that is total fact. If you end up in the wrong area you may only see half the people that come to the show. I think the Halloween show has grown by leaps and bounds no doubt but and its bigger than most of us ever thought it could be... however its still a very manageable show, easy to find everyone, and every vendor should be seen multiple times no matter where you end up.

Trust me!

And lastly... ADAM, please don't quote me wrong which you did! I said clear as day that I know why people want in the dark zone its because they want their stuff seen under haunt show like conditions please re-read what I actually said and meant. Additionally I NEVER said we don't need the dark zone because people are trying to hide their products... never said that and never meant that. I said the dark zone wasn't needed because it was started due to co-location with Halloween retail not so vendors could have a place to hide their products. Can you read?

And to be perfectly clear... the dark zone started because we co-located with the Halloween retail show. Complaints arose about noise, about fog, about everything so the dark zone was born. Now there is noise being made in and out of the dark zone and their might have been more fog out of the dark zone than in the dark zone. So I'm perfectly right when I say the dark zone was needed 10 years ago when we are co-located with the Halloween retailers but not needed NOW!

Lastly, I will say that I stand by what I said 110% that I don't care to see the props in the dark... DUH I OWN A HAUNTED HOUSE! I want to see them WITH BRIGHT LIGHTS SHINING DOWN ON THEM so I can really see what I'm buying. I don't need to see how someone lights a prop I know how to light a prop, I see dark lit rooms year around. I want to see what they look like and how they work not in the dark but under the real test ... pure lit room!

The dark zone is outdated and no longer needed and I'll bet 110% of the bank that the dark zone gets less than or about half the traffic as out of the dark zone. Just my opinion but its always fun to debate these topics and hear everyone's opinions that is good I think. The one thing that more or less proves everything I'm saying is IAAPA which is 10 times bigger than this show... they have guys doing video, they have guys doing everything under the sun and they have NO DARK ZONE! You build your booth to display your products the way you want them displayed. Period! As for me I want to see vendors products under normal light so I can see what I'm buying not in a dark fog filled overly noisy room. Again just my opinion.

Larry

Deathwing
02-05-2013, 06:06 AM
I say keep the Darkzone today, the Darkzone tomorrow, the Darkzone forever...

I spend plenty of time in there in related time to the show floor. It's the most excited part of the whole show!

Jake

wickedfarmer
02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
I say keep the Darkzone today, the Darkzone tomorrow, the Darkzone forever...

I spend plenty of time in there in related time to the show floor. It's the most excited part of the whole show!

Jake

I'm with Jake. To cast a wide net that implys that all those in the Dark Zone are there to hide shoddy props is in need of I say retraction. I have had a few Poison Props that have never missed a beat....AND I WILL HAVE MORE. And yes....we all know which company in the Dark Zone has a history of breakage everyone likes to gang pile on long after the fumble. Well I have had their Impaler, Scissor Serpant, Slayer on the Pediment, Tombstone Reaper, Corpselator (currently for sale), Floating Reaper (for sale as well), a few skelrectors, and borrowed a friends Hallway to Hell for a one year trade out. The breakdowns over 8 years from this company consisted of a problem with one controller....and the shredded optional add on kicker to the Impaler fell apart. Pretty damn good for an outside event in the elements for a month. Oh...the Scissor Serpant had a locking nut that was finger tightened and would have been major collapse had I not inspected the prop before plugging it in...it was a thing being filmed by A&E televison the day I picked it up at factory and too many cooks almost ruined the dish with the film crew and buyer breathing down their necks. Just use a little judgement when looking over props...maybe a little less air pressure...and stay away from the fast moving herky jerky.

Yes I like seeing things under dark conditions, unlike some I do not spend the year in the dark. My haunt goes up in a months period while fall harvest is underway. Not all of us are full time haunt. The same person who kind of slandered dark zone displays raised my eyebrows when I read a comment a while back that something to the effect 'we are not really in the business to scare anymore". Well...some of us are. Sure my Impaler did not scare anybody...it just looked damn cool their in the corn with red & blue flood lights. That is just the mood setting getting you ready for the guys who come out of the corn at you with cattle prods, chain saws, and other stuff. Neighbors down the road hear the screaming.

Now I am sure Gore Galore will be showing some new animatronics this year that sound like they will be putting a bearing in places where some would just drill a hole through steel tubing and put a bolt through it. And I really liked his his set up last year letting me operate the big actor assisted snake head and goat head so I as buyer got to experience what my actor is going to have to do for hours on end.

So I jabbed a little at comments made by a very prominent member. Well; I believe it is healthy to debate things a little. I have been on here and raked one major prop supplier over the coals on a problem I had two differnt times with them....a lot harsher than the comment made about hiding things in the dark. Their catalog last year had addressed and corrected the issue I sunk my teeth into. So I got on here and publicly praised them for such a great fix. Already in contact with them for 2013 and putting order in at the show. But; I believe such a broad statement about prop makers hiding in the dark needed challenging. Hey I'm bound to say something on here sometime needing challenging too. In fact it has happened before. I hear the gasps everywhere...yes it is true...even I Wicked Farmer will say say a bonehead thing from time to time. Like yesterday gettng out of the dentist chair after a cleaning. The dentist said "Well do you have a heavy work load today?" I answered "No...hardly working today; just office work." The receptionist on the other side of the open door gave me a raised eyebrow and slight glare.

Wicked Farmer

wickedfarmer
02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Yes I know he stated he is NOT saying anyone is hiding in there NOW...