PDA

View Full Version : Haunted House Sales Tax? Are you charged a sales tax on admission ticket sales?

Spikerip
02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Do you collect/pay sales tax on haunted house admissions? Ohio is considering charging a sales tax on entertainment (along with dozens of other new businesses) and I was wondering if any states are now charging a sales tax on haunted house admission?

Kelly

gadget-evilusions
02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
We are in Ohio, and our city charges us an Admission Tax per ticket sold. Just like with movie theaters, gym memberships, etc.

MDKing
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes. Here in Maryland it's a whopping 10% admission and amusement tax.

Allan

graystone
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Ok here is the deal in Huntsville Alabama! In Huntsville I pay 91/2 sales tax! The city gets 4% State gets 5% and County gets 1/2%. It's the same as you buying something from Wal-Mart I always thought it sucked because they actually don't get anything. I feel admission should have a different rate! Shane and it's pay the tax man!

Slain
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
F%&k Yes the tax man commith.. You most likely should have already been paying it.. Consult with your accountant. He/She will know for sure......................

sean
02-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Kelly, do you have a link to the story or the house bill, etc., by chance?

terrormasue
02-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Here in Texas we have to pay the tax man also. I used to have to file quarterly but now they are allowing me to give them money once a year. Isn't that nice of them!!!! Of course when I filed quarterly I filed (0) zero because my haunt is not a year round haunt and I only bring in money from ticket sales during the last quarter of the year. I have to pay tax on every cent I make be it ticket sales or food sales. The tax is built into the price of everything sold. No fun at all. The only up side is you get to claim that tax as an expense at the end of the year. Happy times!! Also here in Texas, and I assume in every other state, if you file long form you can deduct every bit of sales tax on every item you have bought throughout the year. I'm talking about that TV you bought for your living room, that blender for your kitchen anything where you are charged sales tax.

KEEP RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING YOU BUY!!

Sue

Deathwing
02-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Sue,

You are lucky they let you pay at once. I think most states send out monthly notices and like you did you put in 0 when you're not open, it'd be easier to only do it once or a couple times for the year. I think a lot of would be Haunters think haunts are a cash cow but they rarely know about taxes like this that severely impact your bottom line.

Jake

drfrightner
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Yes! The City of St Louis probably have the worst taxes of any city in America... first we pay the highest state tax because we are in the city something like 7.6% then the city charges a flat 5% tax... so yeah big time!

Larry

Darksidestew
02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Nobody knows your numbers, but you...just sayin.....

stew

Spikerip
02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
So sorry to hear some of you are dealing with this already. Sounds like some of the tax rates are extreme. Curious, do you include the sales tax in your price to do you charge it in addition. For example if you currently charge $20 for admission and sales tax is 5.5%, do you charge $21.10 or do you lower your price and charge $18.95 x 5.5% = $20?? I would think you would want to avoid having to give change in coins, but thatís a huge amount to absorb.

Ohio is considering implementing a new sales tax of 5% on entertainment (sporting events, movies, theatre, etc.) they havenít mentioned haunted attractions yet, but it will probably be added when someone figures out that it hasnít been included.

Iím asking the questions to help us prepare for when it happens. Trying to figure out how to budget/plan for it.

Thanks for all the comments.

Deathwing
02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Just charge $22 and tell guests that included Ohio state entertainment tax.

BigT
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
State of VA - no sales tax on tickets thank goodness. I think NC does but not sure.

mindtumor
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
There was talk of a service tax here (Michigan) a few years ago but it didn't go through. That would have affected all entertainment venues I believe. The thing is you never know if they might decide to bring that up again. You would think we all pay enough taxes already.

Mike Goff
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.

Deathwing
02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.

It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake

Mike Goff
02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake

I agree Jake, it is just a matter of time. All of our taxes are going to go way up, from many different angles. I think that this time around the State sales tax won't get anywhere.

graystone
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
That some states has still has no tax. I agree it's coming no way out of it! Shane and it's all good things must come to an end!

twohlgemuth
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Here in NC we are not required to pay amusement tax for tickets to our corn maze or our Zipline tour, however we are required to pay the state a 3% amusement tax on the haunted attraction tickets. We have absorbed this tax for 27 years, but starting this year we are passing this to the customer. I made this decision while standing in line at a Disney ticket booth last month when I read at the bottom of the ticket board was a notice that prices did not include tax.

The customer is used to paying tax, by passing it on we just gave our bottom line a 3% boost. I have discussed this with other haunts in our market and they are going to do the same.

Mike Goff
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
It's looking like the sales tax won't be happening anytime soon.

http://www.limaohio.com/opinion/editorials/article_c8c6b6b2-9092-11e2-af77-0019bb30f31a.html

Spikerip
03-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Mike, you could be correct. I've been listening to radio talk shows lately and it's sounding like it won't happen anytime soon. One potential reason, they included taxing lawyer fees! Guess which join is leading the fight to keep this tax from coming? Yep, the Ohio Bar Association, a good group to have on your side when you want to challenge a new tax. I'm sure somehow, someday they'll implement a sales tax; if not the state, then local city tax.

I was just curious how many haunts in other states are dealing with this issue and I appreciate all the responses.

Kelly Collins
The ScareAtorium

sean
03-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Many cities in Ohio (over 70) are already charging a sales tax for entertainment venues. My guess would be that Governor Kasich is looking to take that from the towns that already have it in place and building on it from there. That, after all, is how this dickhead operates.

Mike Goff
03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
It never ceases to amaze me. Cities tax and regulate people to death and then bitch when the people flee like refugees. What amazes me even more is when the city people move into the country, and bring all of their big city ideas with them. In effect they try to make their new location exactly like the location that they are fleeing from. It's a vicious cycle that boggles my mind.

Mistress DeSade
03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Texas does indeed collect taxes on every ticket, trinket, photo, what have you. There used to be an exception that if you were legitimately tied in with a 501(c)3...they could fill out the forms to send to the Texas State Comptroller-which effectively made you a revenue stream for THEM. Sales tax was not sent to the Texas Comptroller...but to the non profit event that you had partnered up with (Hint here: Make SURE they file the form with the Comptroller's office!)

Pesonally, I'd always like to see the non-profit get it as opposed to the state. Never ceases to amaze me that people don't consider the taxes (or how they may legally minimize them) when they are crunching up their business numbers.