mudsticky
04-20-2013, 07:49 PM

mudsticky
04-20-2013, 07:50 PM

mudsticky
04-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Deathwing
04-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Are these pics of before or after shots?

If after I fear most of your sets might not last until the fall and good winds will wreak havoc.

Jake

Dark Tiki Studios
04-20-2013, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see how it looks when lit!

Howie Slobber Erlich
04-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Ummm........

Darkangel
04-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Ummm........

Again, what he said.

DA

FrightProps
04-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Um... Interesting. Are you posting these pictures because you want feedback or to show off your work?

Doug.

Darkangel
04-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking that these pics are not for real? Maybe it was part of an old amateur attraction and Mudsticky plans to revamp it? I believe this to be the case because when you see the amazing pics posted by Larry, and the great wooden sets built by Eric Lowther, these pics look more like Billy Bobs back yard home haunt charging a $2 admission.

This is not a means to discredit Mudsticky because I believe that everyone loves to see build pics and its something we all can learn from but these pics show a level that could benefit an immense amount of feedback and positive reinforcement.

Good luck with your build. If your pics are in progress pics, I'd suggest getting a little further along the process and then share some of your pics.

DA

Allen H
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I actually have no doubt that this could be an incredibly scary trail (for many reasons). If this is a single layer then it is a good start. More of this, more sight break up, more junk on different planes and eyelines.
I think this is standard haunted house stuff here, this is the norm or just below it. My assumption is that this haunt is actor driven, nothing wrong with that at all.Just add more things to be good distractions. And watch my videos, make some bodies, keep adding layers.

Motograter
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry I don't know what to think. I'm not knocking anything but it just looks like a bunch of yellow caution tape and bed sheets.

MDKing
04-22-2013, 03:23 PM
I actually have no doubt that this could be an incredibly scary trail (for many reasons). If this is a single layer then it is a good start. More of this, more sight break up, more junk on different planes and eyelines.
I think this is standard haunted house stuff here, this is the norm or just below it. My assumption is that this haunt is actor driven, nothing wrong with that at all.Just add more things to be good distractions. And watch my videos, make some bodies, keep adding layers.

Allen, with all due respect for Mudsticky (we all started somewhere) if this is standard haunted house stuff here then we need to stop calling ourselves an industry and even so much as trying to call ourselves professionals. This may have been standard haunted house stuff 30-40 years ago but fortunately, those days are long past.

We have to remember here we're trying to compete with amusements parks and movies now. The game has changed we can't charge people professional money for an unprofessional venue.

Mudsticky, I would advise you to push yourself and your creativity to the limits. Visit all the best haunts in your region. Watch every video and read every article you can get your hands on. I also always try to ask myself when building a scene or adding scares "would this scare me or impress me?" If the answer is no, then it's doubtful it will for anyone else. Good luck!!

Allan

damon carson
04-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Im sure Mud is on a zero to no money budget here. Allen does have some good youtube videos you can watch and make affordable props out of alot of household items. There are alot of methods home haunters use such as dumpster diving ect to obtain and make things to turn into props. Craigslist is a good place to go to find free things. Alot of cheap halloween items can be painted or dressed up to look better. There are alot of haunted house videos on youtube as well you can watch to get ideas. The thing is Mud is trying. He does have pictures to show so he is haunting. Mud dont get discouraged, we all started somewhere.
Damon
www.frightmasters.weebly.com

Deathwing
04-22-2013, 05:16 PM
I think everyone has already offered well meaning constructive criticism on this thread.
I think that eventually there won't be any shoe string budget haunts. Either you can come up with the capital to compete or it's not worth trying. It used to be possible to get get by on tarps and black walls and bad costumes because no one else around was great now haunts are cutting edge and can indeed challenge movies and amusement parks as Allen mentioned.

If you're in an area that doesn't have big budget haunts yet consider yourself lucky because once they come if you're not up to the top standard or offer something completely unique the guests will just go to the ones they know and proven.

Jake

Marr Branch
04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark. I do know the scariest place I have ever been is in the swamp at night. No actors, no props, no lights, no clowns, no chainsaws. The right environment and one's own imagination is all it takes.

Darkangel
04-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark. I do know the scariest place I have ever been is in the swamp at night. No actors, no props, no lights, no clowns, no chainsaws. The right environment and one's own imagination is all it takes.

That's true but the difference is you're not paying good money to see that swamp. It's free and it's creepy but its not an attraction. If its an attraction that expects people to pay money it needs to be worth it. Would you feel satisfied paying for a haunt using caution tape and tarps and broken mannequins?

DA

Allen H
04-23-2013, 01:01 AM
"I think that eventually there won't be any shoe string budget haunts. Either you can come up with the capital to compete or it's not worth trying. It used to be possible to get get by on tarps and black walls and bad costumes because no one else around was great now haunts are cutting edge and can indeed challenge movies and amusement parks as Allen mentioned."

Jake, I couldnt disagree more. We will always have shoestring budget haunts just like we will always have Mcdonalds. People actually like them too, that is the odd part. They are fun, they are not over processed, and they do decent numbers. Small shoestring haunts are all over- most of their owners have never been to transworld and dont realize it is an industry. They are not all competing with theme park because they settle into a niche and stay there, completely happy to do 2-3,000 people in a season. I honestly think that is half the industry. Both ends of the spectrum are not represented here, only the upper half. The over head for this style of haunt is minimal so they can operate indefinitely if they own the land.

Theme, pacing, Sound and lighting design are non existant- but the fear that the next actor you meet could really be a murderous meth head is prevelant. They have an appeal- it is not how we run a show but it is a way.

Mud-get me your address and I will send you my design DVD free of charge, it may give you some ideas. A haunt on no budget can still be awesome. The main issue everyone sees is that you are using the things that you think you should be using- things that Halloween retail tells you to use, mixed with enough of what you see at TW to be dangerous. This is a great chance for a long thread where many pros can help you. You love Halloween, I love Halloween- take what we say as friendly advice.
Allen H

Deathwing
04-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Allen,

True. But McDonald's charges the same price and has the same tasting food in every restaurant, it's not like within McDonalds there is low quality food in one and a less successful one has nasty food. In haunt terms it would show a high level of shows across the board all of a good quality.

In my travels I've found that there used to be more low budget haunts but they are fading out. As we grow as an industry we start getting used to a certain level of quality. If you are used to going to elite level haunts in your area you will not be going to pay to see home made bodies and caution tape you're going to go see Hollywood quality sets. Why wouldn't you?

If you are able to afford steak and good food why would you still buy potted meat and sardines (unless you happens to love it lol) but if you can do better you will.

Some people just might not be ready to open a haunt. Some might not have the means financially or the creativity. It used to seem like anyone off the street who loved Halloween could start a haunt and call themselves a pro. Now, having haunts that push it to the next level that will more likely prevent would be haunters who would never strive to own a world class haunt or the fast buck Freddie's who would bring the quality of haunts in that market way down think twice. Not everyone can say "hell I like roller coasters and rides I think I'll build myself and amusement park and open it to the public" so why should that same person do that for our industry?

The haunt business is and should always be a business now that's how we evolved from cheesy to revolutionary. And if you're not in the position to open a quality show that helps move the industry forward then you should probably just do a home haunt until your lot improves.

Jake

Darkangel
04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Jake,

I agree with everything you said. I think the problem is not that there are low quality shows because some people will go to these kinds of shows because they feel they are less scary and threatening than the big haunts out there.

The problem is that same low budget haunt will put down the big haunts and claim to be the best and scariest haunt in their market. I've seen it many times before when a bad new haunt will make the claim of being great and take shots at the proven popular haunts and then you pay the same amount of cash only to see a bunch of twelve year olds in black shrouds, white sneakers and clown masks on, jumping out at you. These are the ones that kill the forward momentum of a market.

People will be told this new haunt is great and go and realize its lame and using homemade props and costumes or Spirit Halloween props and then many customers get turned off from going to any other haunts because they now think they all suck and make false claims.

Since I'm not an owner, but rather a very active customer of haunts I have keen insight to this because I spend a lot if time on haunt websites and visiting shows and I have seen it all and heard it all. I've talked to literally thousands of guests while waiting in lines and I know a lot of the info owners would love to know, real opinions and thoughts on shows. People are much more honest with each other as guests than they are with an owner of a haunt. I've toured bad shows with guests and as we exited an employee would ask our group what we thought and they'd say oh it was great but the whole time and on the way back to the cars they'd be saying how much it sucked and not worth it.

But anyway it's not the quality of the show its how you promote it that could hurt everyone. If you are a small low budget show, let people know and people will still support you. Just don't lie to the public and tell them you are great and scary and the next big thing then throw out garbage to the consumer. That's been way to prevalent in this industry for too long.

DA

tonguesandwich
04-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Most scary haunt I ever went to had maybe 1k in props.. Some of the mega haunts ive been to are super eye candy but little to no scare.
It's hard to look at these pics and not think what the hell.. But we don't know the show! If he wants feedback on his set design swing away but to assume he won't have success without seeing the show is a wild guess.

Dark Scares
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow people, I didn't see where he posted that his haunt was charging a dime. Maybe it is free, but I am guessing he will refrain from posting again.

Howie Slobber Erlich
04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Here is the simple facts.

I also mean no disrespect to anyone. I totally agree that there is room for lower budget haunts. Many considered my old haunt as a low budget attraction simply because I do not believe in high cost animatronics that break down all the time. We always relied on our actors to make the difference and we were known for doing that very well.

I always promoted my haunted house as a scary as hell, in your face, make you pee your pants, cower in the corner begging to be released from the terror type of haunted house. Due to our approach we quickly became very popular and gained devoted Deadly Fans who loved us and our haunt. During our best seasons we were a top 5 locally attended haunted attraction, amongst a sea of around 50 haunts within 50 miles.

I think the problem I have and many others have, is that now these pictures are out on the net for everyone to see. Being promoted as a professional for profit haunted attraction. They do not look very professional or frankly very good. Our industry already has a less than stellar image that we all must battle with, and people may really question attending haunts if they think this is what they may get for their money.

I understand that we all have to start somewhere and that we are excited and want to show off the work that we have done. Just maybe we should not promote as a professional attraction if it does not live up to those expectations.

I know personally, I never released any pictures that gave anything away before my haunt opened for the season. I wouldn't want to give anything away to the customers before the grand opening night!

Mudsticky, I think your heart is in the right place. I think it's great that you are so excited about your event. I truly wish you much success. I do think that if you are going to post pictures, you may want to wait until you have a scene that really shows how much effort you are putting into things and that looks complete and awesome before posting. That will help you look professional and stop negative posts about you and your haunt.

This post was meant only as positive criticism and not to bash you or your show.

Good luck,

Evernight
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
I look at the pics and remember how I started - we had a pavilion lat was about 20ft wide, and 60ft long. We wrapped the whole thing in black plastic - had black plastic walls, built props out of cardboard, spray painted things on the plastic, etc. all paid for out of my pocket because I loved doing it - each year we added to it and grew. Today we are considered one of the better haunts in Northern Michigan <I will never say we are the best....I hate getting into that game>

This looks to be the same situation to me....I am assuming its all paid for by himself so he works with what he has.....which is fine to a point.....

My two worries here are -
A: some of the items just look like pieces of junk thrown into the scene just because....which can work if there is a reason for it to be there.
B: The biggest concern would be the sticks with the caution tape sticking out of the ground....they look to be only a few feet tall....what happens the first time someone is running or trips and impales themselves on one of those sticks?? Or a small child catches one in the eye?

I'm all for people starting their haunts on little to no budget - it's how alot of us started...but if your not updating your haunt and making it better each year then your visitors may stop coming back.

Keep up the work...by the looks of it you have all the time you want to build it....so take your time, plan out some scenes and get creative instead of just throwing things around randomly....give your customers something to enjoy, something they will tell their friends about and make sure it's positive word of mouth.

austind
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
I love the eye candy at the bigger haunts, but I will say that I went to over 40 haunts last year and the one that I liked the best was a low budget haunt that had some great actors. This place had a husband and wife that acted with each other and she must have been black and blue by the end the night. The were so over the top with slamming each other around, it was incredible. (may be I could talk my wife into acting) I could not even tell you what the decor looked like it was that good. That what makes a good haunt, when you walk out and feel like you got what you paid for. By the way they only charged $7 and was done as fund raiser for the deaf. You have to do what you can with what you have and keep on going.

freak 'n' stein
04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
ASSUMING we are NOT being RickRoll'd here, I applaud Mud for his bravery in showing his passion for everyone to see. I know the work I do does NOT get showcased unless it meets a certain standard in my head. That standard includes no masks, especially Walmart/Halloween store...no plastic...no can lights, etc. & It's funny because the black plastic, walmart mask-style haunt is EXACTLY the type of haunt the Jaycees were running before I stepped in and took over back in 2009. Every since then I've busted ass to try and up the detail, and it's still no Netherworld but it's a hell of a lot more than it's ever been! I've upgraded audio from cd players to all digital with Kustoms, Darklight lighting, quality makeup done by aspiring artists, etc. So everything Mud is doing, I can empathize with! MDKing mentioned this was the way 30-40 years ago, but it hasn't even been that long! Not every market has a "Top Haunts" attraction. This attitude is actually what I struggle with when I think about jumping out on my own. I know that once my market gets flooded then it's do or do not. Right now I could still get in under the radar because the top attractions would be ours and a newer show about 30 minutes from us. I'll tell you now, shoe-string does NOTHING for quality. I change my show 100% every year and it's about 3,000 sqft...I'm 5 rooms in and haven't spent a dime. Comparing our show with the new "money spending" show in our area, customers say we have amazing actors whereas they have all the cool new props because that's what they can afford. Would I like a bunch of eye candy? SURE! But for the time being my set designs and lighting combined with AWESOME actors and makeup keep our show going strong. The ONLY thing so far I can agree with is Darkangel saying the low budgets claiming to be "the scariest". That IRKS me sooooo bad. The only thing I claim on our marketing is "the midlands longest running haunted attraction", which is completely factual! We have staying power. I let customers give us any other accolades. Not to downplay two haunts that I would rate as "fly by nights" who joined our market last year, but they were less quality and filled to the brim with halloween store props/plastic walls...what our market has grown out of. Many customers told us "we left their show and came here"...So more often then not you don't have to tell the customer you're the best/scariest because social media travels faster than the speed of light.

...WOW! What a great thread. I have so much more to say but unfortunately I'm late for work! HAHA. Keep it going...and good luck Mud! The best way to tell some people is to SHOW THEM!

Darkangel
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks O'Shawn, it's a common issue you see all over the place.

A couple problems I see is that people are taking the direction that they see the big haunts with great eye candy but not as scary as a haunt with 1k in props. I call BS on that. BE HONEST, would the pics posted here scare you at all? Of course not and sugar coating it only makes you an enabler. Actors make the difference but why would an actor volunteer at a low budget haunt when they can work and probably get paid at one like the Darkness?

He will get better and will improve. But like Allan said and O'Shawn agreed that was the norm 30-40 years ago. There have been thousands of haunt since then which means any new shoestring haunt should show a modern day shoestring haunt not one from our industries infancy. You can do many things for next to nothing and still make it look great you can no longer blame no budget anymore with all the free resources and YouTube etc and this forum.

I think to start a haunt these days you should look like a new dynamic haunt on a budget.

I have visited haunts that have all the big props and eye candy and still scary as hell. Lets not get into saying because a haunt has eye candy it's not scary and low budget means scary it's simply not true it's the total experience that mattes most.

DA

Dark Scares
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Again I ask where did he say he was a "professional" for profit haunt?
That being said, no you do not have to have a hundred thousand in animatronics to be a great haunt! Have we become so jaded that we don't think we can't put on a good show if don't look like Disneyland? We are haunts people and our main job is to scare! If we have good eye candy at the same time that is even better but it is not the whole package. I pride myself on having great detailed sets while my partners main goal is getting that amazing great scare. But I never belittle or put down anyone for what they have be it a small home haunt or a huge professional one. We are all in the same game here. Constructive ideas are great like some have done here, but putting someone down is just not nice.

NightmareAftershockLLC
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
You're better to invest in items over tacky masks!!! Period! I would take a room full of junk from a flea market lighted by a few cheapo LED's and a decent actor over tacky masks and half-assed props any day. I don't own a haunt, I simply help others. But when I do my own yard display, my own welded animatronics and detailed props are displayed and properly showcased.

I'm sorry to be a " stick in the mud " but I'd rather you shove out one amazingly detailed prop as opposed to 30 cheesy ones.

Just my personal opinion. Take your time, be patient, and do it right the first time.

If budget is low, get great volunteer actors, skip cheesy props, and setup your scenes to divert attention so that your actors can really deliver! Allen has great acting DVD's that ANYONE can afford.

Darkangel
04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Again I ask where did he say he was a "professional" for profit haunt?
That being said, no you do not have to have a hundred thousand in animatronics to be a great haunt! Have we become so jaded that we don't think we can't put on a good show if don't look like Disneyland? We are haunts people and our main job is to scare! If we have good eye candy at the same time that is even better but it is not the whole package. I pride myself on having great detailed sets while my partners main goal is getting that amazing great scare. But I never belittle or put down anyone for what they have be it a small home haunt or a huge professional one. We are all in the same game here. Constructive ideas are great like some have done here, but putting someone down is just not nice.

When did anyone say animations are scary? They are a distraction and adds production value. Are you saying this haunt here would be scarier than one with animations? Do you think great actors will be working here? Please give one example in the top 25 rated haunts that do not use animations and builds detailed sets? It is no surprise the best haunts with best actors also have great sets and lots of animatronics.

No one is trying to put mud down but his work is not up to the standards set by this industry over the past few decades. As Howie said it is embarrassing to have it shown on a forum supposedly of pros. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

DA

Deathwing
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
This has turned out to be one sensational thread. I have to agree with most of what's been said. I do agree its time we hold ourselves accountable for our haunts and what should be acceptable as a haunt, pro, or otherwise.

Jake

zombietoxin
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Personally, I like the Clown Town sign.

Live YOUR dream, Mud- not someone else's!

Allen H
04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
first I think this is a great thread and has spurred great conversation. Im replying back and forth with Jake in order to peel back a few layers and see each others thoughts more completely- not to poke him or start an argument. He is awesome, we just might not agree or feel the same way about things.

" But McDonald's charges the same price and has the same tasting food in every restaurant, it's not like within McDonalds there is low quality food in one and a less successful one has nasty food. In haunt terms it would show a high level of shows across the board all of a good quality."

***Not all haunts are McDonalds, that was my point. We have no standard (and Horray that we dont) Some haunts are Outback's and Appleby's other are more Ruth Chris. Then there are dairy Queensand McDonalds out there. They are all resturants who charge different amounts for their product, and deliver different qualities of experience. It would be absurd for steak houses and four star resturants to be upset that McDonalds exists-or even to claim that they are dragging down the good name of resturants everywhere.

"In my travels I've found that there used to be more low budget haunts but they are fading out."
**** I seem to see more popping up, so I guess that is just exposure

" If you are used to going to elite level haunts in your area you will not be going to pay to see home made bodies and caution tape"
****I absolutely would pay to see it, because I love Halloween and haunted houses. I dont see the bigger haunted houses as being scary- I dont think they get a higher fear level from their patrons than a cheaper less decorated haunt. I would rather see a smaller show with great costumes and characters. Which leads me to...

"you're going to go see Hollywood quality sets. Why wouldn't you?"
*** No, Im quoting the very wise man Alex Lohmann here "Guests never run out of a haunt and say how great the crown molding was". That is a pretty true statement, unless your audience is haunt owners then it might happen. Haunt owners focus on sets because they have them at their disposal all year and they make nice pictures for marketing. Then they underthink costumes and characters throw a CFX mask in the promo shots and end up with the exact same focal point as a hundred other haunts in their promo shots.

"If you are able to afford steak and good food why would you still buy potted meat and sardines (unless you happens to love it lol) but if you can do better you will."
***You answered yourself better than I could. Some people happen to love the small haunt atmosphere, even perfer it to a large haunt. They have a charm and an appeal that does not make a ton of sense, but it exists.

"Some people just might not be ready to open a haunt. Some might not have the means financially or the creativity. It used to seem like anyone off the street who loved Halloween could start a haunt and call themselves a pro."
*** On this you and I agree 100%. I hate that every 15 year old I talk to wants to own their own haunt. I reluctantly own my own haunt. 90% of what I learned about haunting I learned at someone else's haunt while I was a grunt. I did not learn it so I could open my own show- I learned so I could take the knowledge with me and be better at my craft wherever I landed. Working for someone else's haunt is a joy and helps you contribute to the cycle. I think it is an important part of a haunters make up and that step should not be skipped.
For the record, Mud works at someone else's haunt. He is working on improving the secondary trail that last year had nothing. His heart and spirit are right.

"Now, having haunts that push it to the next level that will more likely prevent would be haunters who would never strive to own a world class haunt or the fast buck Freddie's who would bring the quality of haunts in that market way down think twice. Not everyone can say "hell I like roller coasters and rides I think I'll build myself and amusement park and open it to the public" so why should that same person do that for our industry?"
****Sadly we have a low financial threshold and it looks/is easy to open and run a haunt. To me the most important function of a haunted house is to reflect the style and personality of the owner. If a haunt does that, then it is creatively (not necessarily financially) successful. That does not require a huge amount of cash unless that is what must be said about the owner.

"The haunt business is and should always be a business now that's how we evolved from cheesy to revolutionary."
**** I dont necessarily see a ton of revolutionary things in haunted houses over say...the late 80's early 90's. Animatronics...check Silicone masks are new but they are still masks. I dont like throwing the word revolutionary around lightly so others may not agree. Our sophistication has gone up, and our ticket prices are double what they were then- but I dont see a revolution. The world loves cheesy, our customers love cheesy that what sells at walmart and walgreens at Halloween. Im not saying to go that route, but it is hard to curse those that do when that is what mainstream Halloween is. The cheesy will always be a part of Halloween.

"And if you're not in the position to open a quality show that helps move the industry forward then you should probably just do a home haunt until your lot improves."
****No! work for someone else's haunt. You learn more that way. You learn about traffic flow and so many other things that you dont even think about at a home haunt. Get to a pro haunt, help all you can and soak it all in.

This is a great topic and I love all the curteous responses.

Deathwing
04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Allen we'll have to agree to disagree because there is no way in hell ill pay to see junk. Also if everyone thinks the big haunts are not scary maybe the public doesn't want to be scared then because the big detailed ones grow and see 10's of thousands of guests with hours to wait just to see. When I was at Knotts those haunts weren't scary but they sure packed them in.

Look at the Darkness in St. Louis. Do you think they'd be waiting and lining up to see a haunt as pictured if it opened up against the Darkness? No way Allen!

You're a nice guy and you do a great job of keeping a positive around here. Please don't be offended, but I see a very old school vibe to your thinking and process. I think ANY new school haunter sees House of Torment and 13th Gate as a model and moved away from the do it yourself model.

Jake

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Even the top 25 haunts aren't all that and it is simple to become one, just give the guy who makes the list of 25 top haunts about $5,000 and your on the list.

What I see here is possibly a small private party and it has not been mentioned there is a mega haunt being produced here. Still this is where the possibilities are developed. Some freinds get together and the topic is researched a bit more and then things happen or they don't and it remains an intresting small private party on private land.

My next haunt is going to be called Voodoo Hopscotch of death where I "borrow" some chaulk and go nuts on a city street and instead of it just goes 12 hips and skips and you are done it goes on for several blocks while actors do things along the way. Total investment zero. It can happen anywhere spur of the moment even at a public park. It would be created by and enjoyed by freinds that accumulate on some social networking site and any donation recieved is total profit. In fact it is art and a happening and I could get it on TV! For free and have a lot of people chuckle for some period of time.

That's entertainment.

So many people have followed the model of you have to go big and have a budget and gone in the hole, gone into debt and completely missed the point of this being fun or entertaining or scary or an enjoyment of life. Enjoying life is not being a consumer and paying some guy who has lots of stuff's advertising budget.

Now Mudsticky having 5 misspelled words in every sentence really bothers me but, even being experienced and somewhat brilliant, I can't help to have been fascinated over the years how with perceverience and support of family and the commnity lots of people keep going and are loved. It isn't all about money. It can be about sharing an evening and expressing yourself.

You hear it all the time how even an number of the 25 top haunts are doing it for "the industry". No one is making lots and lots of money that isn't already just survival expenses or already ear marked for some haunt project. People are iving the haunt thing and living pretty damn modestly and all their money goes into the things they have created because it has to as opposed to you want to. So it better be fun and you better have experienced that had nothing and it still worked experience.

Like it or not there is a 20 or 30 year business cycle and the modest performances of today are what it is going to be in the future and not having anything kind of guys can adapt to economic changes and technology uses a whole lot quicker than some business that has all of their budget devoted to something already.

I have worked for many of the big names and supposedly successful haunts and when it came time to pay me they could not. So I'm a big advocate of not over extending ones self, not forming vast partnerships where everyone needs their money on some schedule date or it all ends up in court. I'm an advocate of make it yourself if you can, invest in bigger props as you can. But generally any endevor doesn't even get recognized by any location untill it has been around for 15 or 20 years and until then it is not automatic no matter how much is spent or what it looks like and if it doesn't have that spirit of fun and enjoyment, it doesn't last 5 years. Then there is always some life responcibility that has to take prescentant over having a haunt. Basically they quit because it is a lot of work and doesn't make lots of money or they have no help and lots of opposition.

Deathwing
04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Greg if it were as easy as paying $5000 to be on a list then every haunt would be in it! The 13th Gate would be on any list period. I don't get jealous over the big haunts and discredit their accolades because its something we all should strive for. Pay or no pay they are still the top haunts this industry has. Discrediting them is worse than mudsticky's haunts because they are the front line haunts promoted to the public and your potential next customer.

Jake

Allen H
04-23-2013, 08:18 PM
"Allen we'll have to agree to disagree because there is no way in hell ill pay to see junk."
***I dont want you to see junk, I just want to be able to if I would like to see junk lol.

"Also if everyone thinks the big haunts are not scary maybe the public doesn't want to be scared then because the big detailed ones grow and see 10's of thousands of guests with hours to wait just to see. When I was at Knotts those haunts weren't scary but they sure packed them in."
***This is pretty much my point exactly, some people like haunts that are scarier and other like the more produced shows. It takes all kinds.

"Look at the Darkness in St. Louis. Do you think they'd be waiting and lining up to see a haunt as pictured if it opened up against the Darkness?"
****I dont think the photos that we saw were marketing photos from Mud by any means. And yes, I think they would if the price is right. why compare a five dollar show to a $60 show?

"You're a nice guy and you do a great job of keeping a positive around here. Please don't be offended, but I see a very old school vibe to your thinking and process."
Great way to preface what you see as an insult lol. I see no issue with old school. I hope as you evolve in the business you realize some simple truths. Expensive and produced with high polish does not mean scary and does not suit all tastes. The secret is that there are no "new school haunters" they just arent ripe yet.

"I think ANY new school haunter sees House of Torment and 13th Gate as a model and moved away from the do it yourself model."
****this is silly, you think they didnt "do it themselves"? I think they would disagree. We all do it ourselves, we are haunters.
Allen H

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
So...there is all kinds of creepy places out there you will never know about, be invited to and see on the 25 top haunts list. I know of a few that are kind of folk art that have crashed the 6,000 people and 8,000 people per year and people really dig it!

Why they dig it is because they came with freinds and it is one of life's memories and not because they all attended some block buster movie in 3D that hollywood told them to go to. Getting into some even lame, strange setting is cool because you have to look around and wonder what everything is and why it is there. Maybe the people are not right and you are in their hog pen to hell and maybe you should be afraid? They aren't quite right, maybe even genuinely and wearing masks made out of paper mache and tin foil and they have weapons and you don't know where you are or how far away your car is. Maybe they are screwing your car up where you will never leave as quick as you would like. You can suggest and demonstrate all sorts of things that do not require an air compressor, sensors, electricity, getting a loan for hundreds of pounds of someone elses latex.

So is this forum a hot line for only the top 25 haunts and top 100 vendors? Nope. Is it enabling? Maybe, letting someone have a life and some serious life lessons and tremendous emotion and serious laughs, both in doing and in attending.

See shit like that was never written in any "You too can have a haunt" book or business plan. As things are visited, other people get intrested, even people with money spring up, people sponsor and invest in this enjoyable thing and then guess what you have the experienced educated customer at Transworld 10 years from now or sooner. So screw everyone worried about being thought of in comparison to a trillion dollar theme park. Some of those are pretty lame too and they missed the fundamental point of being wildly enjoyable. They may be inspiring but for the wrong reasons.

If we are enabling, we should be making sure people can make some money, support themselves and eat. Someone new that is really trying will develop for 20 or 30 years. Now everyone is expecting 30 year achievement right out of the box or don't show up? Really.

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
You have no idea how many full blow sizable yet lame attractions there are that have seen no more than 500 or 800 a year at $10 a pop and they make $5,000 or $10,000 per year and that is total profit. Everything was made from junk and the place it was held at was provided. So if you were a highly enjoyable low impact bottom feeder attraction that made $10,000 a year for 20 years, that's $200,000 you can invest in yourself or it is 10 years of retirement money!

Or it is how much impact you had by spending that money in your own community helping other people! You know what happens to a community if you take away even $10,000 that became expected every year?

So much of what is called "industry" is already getting mass quantities of people to do lots and lots not because there is money, because they will learn by doing. They can express themselves, learn skills over time. And skills generally do take time. So where was everyone supporting people when they were trying to learn and were willing to do everything for free or just for the cost of materials? That's real networking, not trading business cards over a beer, go help someone for a day or two for nothing. Don't just be a consumer and a critict. If you are just a consumer and a critict what good do you think your $20 really changes the world or people's lives. Or peoples ability to do things long term.

I applaud Allen for sending information. Why does it always have to be critism. Why can't it be here are some ideas. Or call me I have some stuff near you that is better than what I'm seeing here. That's how I roll. And long term decades later is pays when you least expect it. Even when you weren't asking.

Darkangel
04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Greg follow the whole thread there was a lot of advice and constructive criticism. It's not a negative thread at all.

DA

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Behind the scenes, as a rogue consultant, what is really happening in this industry is even people with successful businesses and suppliers are additionally getting back into smaller and more mobile lower number of people activities. Exactly like the new guys with a one night party. This is what they missed and when they actually saw a benefit. Something more controllable and more enjoyable that didn't take a staff of 50 people in payroll to pull off. Didn't take 5 years of training makers and builders to sustain. Things people would think are cool as a corporate event or back yard party at a McMansion. The number of conversations I have been in over the last year for events and vendors has been astounding.

The come out of the box like you have been doing it for 20 years thing doesn't seem to work at year 5 or year 10 for a lot of proprietors in the real world. Whether researching anything everyone is offering, taking advantage of what ever education either paid for or free. You have to do something.

Meanwhile, some of the top 25 haunts only really have 5 cool scenes and that is all the photos you have seen so you don't know they spent money to advertise on the list or what kind of delapidated location they are in or how small they really are or that there is absolutely no parking. You don't know what is happening 1200 miles away. Your mind has filled in some dream world.

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
You can really put $200,000 into your local community and help thousands of people figure out what they enjoy in life or you can form a complicated LLC and file bankrupsty being in debt $200,000 because some industry told you what to should do.

Insert Anarchist slogan here.

Deathwing
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Greg you seem to have an axe to grind with the top 25. You mad bro? Lol
This thread isn't about them it's about Mudsticky and the quality of pics he posted.

Jake

scary bill
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Do we listen to what is being said? This is a joke. Every one has thier own tastes, some like cheesey, some like very detailed. If you look out there it is amazing how much FUN you can have at a $6 haunt. Do you expect the same as a $20 haunt, no. I help with a small non profit haunt. Our props suck, we have alot of bad actors, but we still do a good buisness(5-6000/year) We do have a lot of repete customers, we found our nitch. Some are disappointed, but as a whole they enjoy it. We have some good actors that preform well, yes I have witnessed wet pants on customers.
I think we should encourage, not discourage. BIGGER DOES NOT MEAN BETTER It sounds as though the big haunt guys here are saying how bad this is and it should be shut down, why, are you worried that people will find this as scary as your mega priced haunt. There is room for all kinds of haunts, kind of the same with any buisness.

As for the old school statement, I would be proud to classified old school. I still remeber back to the old Jaycee haunts, heavy on the cheese, but some of the best most fun I had. I look at it this way, most of our customers seem to have fun, and that is where it is at.

Just my opinion

Greg Chrise
04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Jake, I can get you into the top 7 but you have to pretend you never heard my name before.

tonguesandwich
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
You should take the snake out of the cage and put it on a string off a branch. Have the cage broke open like something escaped.

NightmareAftershockLLC
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM
I have to agree with Allen on this one, sorta:
If you're going to do that particular motif mud, then do it well. Layer the scenes to make it seem much "deeper" of a feeling than it actually is.... I understand this is a work in progress, but I think some people (including myself) want to see more than a "broad daylight" photo.

A night or dusk shot would help to reduce the feeling of cheesy and increase the feeling of vagueness...

Just a thought.

GreatCaesarsGhost
04-23-2013, 10:44 PM
I agree with scary bill, it is possible to have fun at a $6 haunt. I run a school haunt twice a year on a zero to $50 budget that is mostly actor drivin. The younger crowd is a severely untapped market. We bring in quite a chunk of change for my department. It's fun for the kids and families and it doesn't take much to get them scared, lol.

Do we listen to what is being said? This is a joke. Every one has thier own tastes, some like cheesey, some like very detailed. If you look out there it is amazing how much FUN you can have at a $6 haunt. Do you expect the same as a $20 haunt, no. I help with a small non profit haunt. Our props suck, we have alot of bad actors, but we still do a good buisness(5-6000/year) We do have a lot of repete customers, we found our nitch. Some are disappointed, but as a whole they enjoy it. We have some good actors that preform well, yes I have witnessed wet pants on customers.
I think we should encourage, not discourage. BIGGER DOES NOT MEAN BETTER It sounds as though the big haunt guys here are saying how bad this is and it should be shut down, why, are you worried that people will find this as scary as your mega priced haunt. There is room for all kinds of haunts, kind of the same with any buisness.

As for the old school statement, I would be proud to classified old school. I still remeber back to the old Jaycee haunts, heavy on the cheese, but some of the best most fun I had. I look at it this way, most of our customers seem to have fun, and that is where it is at.

Just my opinion

Dark Tiki Studios
04-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark..

That's was my point too... Tough to really judge how things will look until you see it complete, and in show lighting.

I also think it takes guts to post pictures on this forum that don't look like The Darkness. Between this forum, the magazine, and the Travel Channel, we see A LOT of coverage of the 10-20 haunts with the highest operating budgets in the country. We see them over, and over, and over. I've only been to one of them in-person, yet I can name every one by heart. And they ARE truly awesome and awe inspiring... But they only represent the top end of the industry. Every town's summer carnival can't be Disney. Every band can't be the Beatles. Every haunt can't be Headless Horseman. Nor should they.

I've been skulking around these forums for years, but I've never dared to post a single photo of anything I've created, because I know it will be held up for comparison against the ultra-budget mega props that populate the richest haunts (that are constantly celebrated here). I say kudos to Mud for keeping it real, and posting pics of his real haunt!

austind
04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Tiki some of the people here can take things in the context they are ment. Allen shows on his YouTube page that it dose not take deep pockets to make nice props. I am a Big tech type of guy but I love YouTube Wednesday. I don't know any body who looks at a home haunter and thinks it should look like the Darkness, I watch a lot of home haunter videos to get a different perspective. It is all about taking things in context, Mud keep working everyone has to start somewhere, I heard that your trail was just woods last year, now you are adding some detail and that is what you in this industry you build on the previous year and keep going.

Darkangel
04-24-2013, 05:35 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse here but this isn't about Mud its in response to some of the comments saying the big budget vs no budget haunts and who has better actors.

I have been to many low budget haunts, and many big budget ones. The best actors I find are not in low budget haunts that is a fact. Most low budget haunts do not have money to pay actors so they usually rely on family members and friends or use whoever they can get to volunteer from the charity or cause. Sure, some are good by nature and can surprise you some are energetic and perfect! But the VAST majority of actors at these types of haunts are kids, sometimes as young as under 10. Not being able to afford professional costumes and a silicone mask is ok, but you see that no thought or creativity goes into to many costumes at these haunts. No big budget haunt would allow for white sneakers, skin showing, and brand name logos on the clothing. Sure it does happen but not very often.

Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people. Many big haunts have experienced actors where if you took them out and inserted them in a low budget haunt they'd kill it much more effectively.

I'm just saying its not that the actors are better at a low budget haunt per se it's just you pay more attention to them.

DA

Darksidestew
04-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Good Job Everyone. You scared the poor guy away. He was proud of his start.....He has not posted since........

Stew

krazedklownkilla
04-24-2013, 06:17 AM
MudSticky hey man Im sure you know but if not Lighting is KEY!!! I dont know what you use but here is a good Idea. The best is the LEDs from dark light.....But if you cant afford that then the silver round light things from lowes and the colored flood lights work Great. You will find when you put them up they put off a bit to much light. what you need to do is have your sets in place. then turn on your red..blue yellow ect. lights on, then use any color spray paint to darken it down to get the right dimness. spray right on the light a little at a time. keep checking the set to make sure you dont over do it. Be sure to do it as soon as you cut it on cause if you let the light get hot and then spray cold paint on it the light will bust and your out of a $7-$8 light. you can have great light in any place for about $10

Dark Scares
04-24-2013, 08:02 AM
When did anyone say animations are scary? They are a distraction and adds production value. Are you saying this haunt here would be scarier than one with animations? Do you think great actors will be working here? Please give one example in the top 25 rated haunts that do not use animations and builds detailed sets? It is no surprise the best haunts with best actors also have great sets and lots of animatronics.

No one is trying to put mud down but his work is not up to the standards set by this industry over the past few decades. As Howie said it is embarrassing to have it shown on a forum supposedly of pros. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

DA

DA where did I say that haunts with animatronics aren't scary? I said that you don't NEED them to be scary. And yes I have seen GREAT actors work at low budget haunts. And some really bad ones at High budget haunts. I agree a well detail haunt is the way to go, but I was unaware that there were "standards" set out. Bottom line is that you don't need to put down ANYONE. Advice is one thing but this was down right mean. And no, his photos were not embarrassing, certainly not to me. He was trying to show off a bit what he did.
And I was unaware that this forum was for professional haunt owners only. Interesting. Why don't we just post if your haunt not up to what we think is par for our site we will trash you!

Sorry, I usually stay pretty quiet on this forum but this just got to me.

Dark Scares
04-24-2013, 08:06 AM
And for all of those who were polite and gave Mud helpful advice....You are what these forums should be about.

Allen H
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Dark,
"Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people."
***You are speaking on a matter of taste and preference and representing as if it is fact. I hate onions, but I cant say that "onions are terrible and recipies that contain onions suck". You think actors that talk are annoying so you seem to think everyone feels the same. That is not the case, many haint customers prefer acors who talk. I see what you are saying and I understand the points you are trying to make, But I dont agree with your opions. My experience (and taste) is largely opposite from yours it seems- The difference is I dont think you are wrong because you have different taste.
I went through 70+ haunts last year as well as worked my own, There were good actors in the small and big shows alike.
Allen H

Evernight
04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Here is my quick thoughts on actors - Our haunt is not HUGE....and we aren't small either - all of our actors are volunteers, 90% of them do it because they have fun and enjoy scaring the hell out of people - the other 10% are friends that may have heard about it and wanted to give it a try....some are good.....some are bad...and some will get better.

My volunteers do it for the love of haunting and it shows - and yes half of them are younger around 16-19 but I have also had a few younger actors, some as young as 10-11 years old....and ya know what they scared the hell out of people. I constantly overheard people talking about how creepy the kids were.

I have been to a number of larger haunts, and smaller haunts - In my experience the larger haunts are awesome to look at and they are fun, they have paid actors....and guess what, the haunt is pushing so many people through back to back that those "paid" great actors have enough time to pop out....yell something...and get back - and most of them the only reason they are there is they are getting paid to do it.

I would much rather have volunteers that are there because they love doing it than have paid actors that are only there for a check.

I love both styles of haunts....I enjoy the small haunted trails put on by schools and other groups because it reminds me of why I love the fall, Halloween, and the magic of it all - I also like the bigger haunts because I enjoy the feeling of walking through a "Haunted" house like you see in movies - is it scary...not to me but I still enjoy it.

To this day one of the best scares I can remember is good old Jim Warfield at Raven's Grin in.....he managed to get me really good with a damn black plastic bag - I was walking by a large glass window and it had black plastic hanging on the other side and I was staring at the plastic trying to see behind it and he slammed it against the window...made me jump back and let out a noise - it was the first thing that had made me jump in a haunt in probably 10 years. So remember sometimes it's the simple things that can really get someone, and I think the reason why is so many haunt visitors have become used to animatronics and other "industry" standards.

Dark Scares
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Dark,
"Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people."
***You are speaking on a matter of taste and preference and representing as if it is fact. I hate onions, but I cant say that "onions are terrible and recipies that contain onions suck". You think actors that talk are annoying so you seem to think everyone feels the same. That is not the case, many haint customers prefer acors who talk. I see what you are saying and I understand the points you are trying to make, But I dont agree with your opions. My experience (and taste) is largely opposite from yours it seems- The difference is I dont think you are wrong because you have different taste.
I went through 70+ haunts last year as well as worked my own, There were good actors in the small and big shows alike.
Allen H

Allen, I have great respect for you. You are one of those people on all the forums that always go out of their way to help everyone big or small.

I guess I am not getting out my point on this subject not out well, because I am overly upset about some of the comments made that I thought were rude about a poor guy who was trying to show off his haunt. I think we agree more than you think. This is not about my personal tastes or opinions. We own a medium 15,000 sf haunt, we detail our rooms to the max, we use animatronics ourselves. We have 2 hour waits. I have nothing against that. I am not dissing one or the other. I guess my point was that there are great top haunts, and there are great small haunts. I have been to lots. There are good and bad actors in both as you said, and in my opinion there is a place for both. I just do not think that one brings down the other. We are 10 times the haunt we were 4 years ago. It was the notion that big haunts are ALWAYS better that got me going, and that Mud was somehow an embarrassment to the industry. Everyone starts somewhere.
I let my emotions get the better of me when I shouldn't have.

Jerilyn

Dark Tiki Studios
04-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Tiki some of the people here can take things in the context they are ment. Allen shows on his YouTube page that it dose not take deep pockets to make nice props. I am a Big tech type of guy but I love YouTube Wednesday. I don't know any body who looks at a home haunter and thinks it should look like the Darkness, I watch a lot of home haunter videos to get a different perspective. It is all about taking things in context, Mud keep working everyone has to start somewhere, I heard that your trail was just woods last year, now you are adding some detail and that is what you in this industry you build on the previous year and keep going.

First... I don't want to tick you off, AustinD... You're a fellow Michigander! :D

To be clear, I am not knocking The Darkness, or any mega-budget haunt [I also said nothing about mega haunt actors vs other haunt actors... I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole, ha ha!] Here in Michigan, Erebus is the mega-haunt that gets all the attention. It is a riot, and I go almost every year. Parts of it are quite inspiring. I do think the mega haunts get an unequal amount of coverage, but I suppose that is to be expected. I was also speaking on a more personal level, about how I have never felt comfortable posting my work on the HW forums, because I feel it would be found lacking compared to the mega-haunt props and sets that often appear here. And I commend Mud for not being a coward like me. Hopefully he wasn't scared away by some of the bickering his post inspired. Most of it was about topics far beyond his haunt. In a way, it's great, because it inspired a lively discussion among a group of people who are all passionate about what they do. I just hope Mud didn't get scared-off in the process.

In my opinion, I don't think I've seen a straight-up "troll" in these forums in quite a while... Just a bunch of haunters with varied opinions, who are all passionate about haunting. And that is pretty awesome!

Allen H
04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Dark tiki - post your work! I want to learn from you! No reason to hold back man. everything done to scare people has merit in my world!
Allen H

Greg Chrise
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
When someone starts a haunt or event, there are a lot more subtleties that they didn't spend lots of money and paid and trained their actors to suit the imaginary standard. Young people tend to find young customers who have not created some bias and will over time evolve and intrest with an event either develops with a haunt or falls off.

So for someone that is 30 years old, they are generally asking questions like how do I get tons of money and why do so many haunts suck and people that are 40 and 50 tend to say only the upper crust of haunts are the way to go and worth attending.

So in dealing with information about a haunted event, you have to recalibrate your life experience to be age and experience appropriate and magically the customer base anywhere in the country seems to patronize just the right one that has the sensibilities they think are just fine.

If I hear all my friends that are coming weigh 400 pounds and are 62 years old, I generally have to pass on that one. If I hear I have nothing but want to do this, I'm there to help with and advise the long cycle of going from nothing to something substantial. The haunts all along are out there and are still going from nothing to something. It wasn't one isoalted event that happened in 1987 and if you weren't there too bad for you.

You have to really examine wether you are having an open mind or have some kind of agenda that isn't tremendously negative and you don't even know it. You can find opinions anywhere that don't apply to any situation.

The other subtle bunch of suggestions come off like don't do anything unless you have 100 rules to go by and animatronics money. Great that some haunts have achieved the level of being able to mindlessly astonish even the 40 year old pro customer but there are 90% of the haunts out there that magically are not going to have a budget over night. It can be done with young haunt people and a young customer base.

If someone's frontal lobe hasn't formed yet or it has fomed improperly, I'm the absolute first to call the retard flag. But the world is more complicated than just one time line and the ages of who is still posting on Hauntworld or who has a mega haunt and is gracious enough to post one sentence about how to be high dollar.

There are a lot of things and levels of achievement in the haunt world that still have value. You can't segment out one style of behavior or offering and say that is it. Or your opinion if not intended to be negative is at least a waste of time. Something to consider but something that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I've worked with lots of the older crews and it was standard practice to not tell anyone else where you were having an event at all let alone post pictures on the internet. When it gets down to it, it isn't what we say, it is what THEIR customers say and some relatively lame or intimate things still keep an audience. Where else can you see any live performance that is possibly random, that hasn't been rehearsed and toured and is the same for 20 years. If that is what you dig perhaps a record collection would be a better past time.

Marr Branch
04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
That's true but the difference is you're not paying good money to see that swamp. It's free and it's creepy but its not an attraction. If its an attraction that expects people to pay money it needs to be worth it. Would you feel satisfied paying for a haunt using caution tape and tarps and broken mannequins?

DA

How do you know what I paid to go in that Swamp? I never said it was free.

Darkangel
04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
How do you know what I paid to go in that Swamp? I never said it was free.

I don't know and who cares really? You can go to swamps for free so if you paid that's on you.

DA

Marr Branch
04-24-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't know and who cares really? You can go to swamps for free so if you paid that's on you.

DA

You can not get in this swamp for free you have to pay with you're soul, anyway you would never make it in this swamp. :grin::evil:

Darkangel
04-24-2013, 07:47 PM
You can not get in this swamp for free you have to pay with you're soul, anyway you would never make it in this swamp. :grin:

You might be right. I don't do well with real snakes and spiders!

DA

terrormasue
04-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey Mud!! I just wanted to say your pics look great!! You have done a lot of work. Keep it up!!!!! As soon as I can get you down here to Longview to help me out I will. Now remember start saving you money just a little each month so you can come to the Insane Shane Party next year!! I want you there and in costume!! You need to enter the contest. I love your creativity and imagination!! Keep up the good work!! See you in March.

Sue

freak 'n' stein
04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Mud!! I just wanted to say your pics look great!! You have done a lot of work. Keep it up!!!!! As soon as I can get you down here to Longview to help me out I will. Now remember start saving you money just a little each month so you can come to the Insane Shane Party next year!! I want you there and in costume!! You need to enter the contest. I love your creativity and imagination!! Keep up the good work!! See you in March.

Sue

THIS IS THE EXACT PERSON I WANTED TO HEAR FROM!! Sue, your show is DEF an inspiration!! One day I'll be like you. Seems like just yesterday we were crammed in the back of Brad's truck at Transworld on the way to Columbia and I was trying to pull your website up on my Blackberry!! HAHAHA. You've come a LONGGG way and I love all the work you've put in!!

Dark Tiki Studios
04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Dark tiki - post your work! I want to learn from you! No reason to hold back man. everything done to scare people has merit in my world!
Allen H

I suppose learning what NOT to do is still learning? Ha ha! Seriously, I appreciate the support. I'm working on a foam sculpture currently. I'll post some pics once I take some.

terrormasue
04-27-2013, 08:47 PM
THIS IS THE EXACT PERSON I WANTED TO HEAR FROM!! Sue, your show is DEF an inspiration!! One day I'll be like you. Seems like just yesterday we were crammed in the back of Brad's truck at Transworld on the way to Columbia and I was trying to pull your website up on my Blackberry!! HAHAHA. You've come a LONGGG way and I love all the work you've put in!!

O'Shawn yes I do remember. Wow does time go by fast. Thank you so much for the compliment. I can say the same to you. I mean really look how far you have come with you haunt. Totally fantastic!! Just got back from HauntCon. Had a great time but I got super anxious and wanted to get back home to knock out a few more needed builds. The big "Zombie Ball" is on tonight. It was great to see my haunt friends that made it there. Talk to you soon!!

Sue

mudsticky
04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Aim still here and I see lot you hating coz I Aim making the woods at the haunt I act at look good and if it look like crap like you all are saying I do not see any one here helping me out on getting stuff to make look like all the big haunt so if you have some to say now and go for it Aim going to do what I love no one can stop me.

tonguesandwich
04-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Way to go mud :)

Allen H
04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Rock on Mud!

Dark Tiki Studios
04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
You nailed it, Mud!

damon carson
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
I would suggest maybe some night time lighted scenes w fog ect. Maybe you can give us a better feel of what your haunt would be like going through it. I would only take pics of unique or most detailed scenes. Maybe throw in an actor in costume ect. Haunting is interesting to me at any level!
Damon
www.frightmasters.weebly.com

Dark Scares
04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Good for you Mud!
Do your best, and do what you love.

robisc
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Well we all have opinions and they are just that, opinions. With that said I do not have a mega haunt and am just a home haunter that has always loved haunts of any kind, size or budget. Annually some friends and myself take what we call our annual haunt tour and take a couple nights and make as many haunts as we can around our area (North Alabama) some haunts that this has included are: Disturbia, Atrox, Lester Hospital, Arx Mortis, etc..

Now while all of these are great haunts in their own different way one thing to keep in mind is that being "scary" is subjective, snakes and spiders bother some people and clowns bother others. One year on our tour there was a haunt way off the beaten path near Birmingham called Barns of Horror, this place was a FD charity haunt and had cheesy props and bad masks but I have to say in my opinion was the scariest haunt that I have ever been to due to the environments and the elements of wonder, unknown and surprise.

Oh and one more thing while already mentioned by someone earlier, I'm not sure if this is your final layout or not Mud but if so then I would reconsider the stakes you're using for your border tape, safety always first, it will be dark, scary and disorienting and the last thing you want is someone to get hurt. At my home haunt that I spend over a month on building and I spend an awful lot of that time securing things and making sure anything that could get someone hurt is made to be safe.

Finally with all this said, keep your head up Mud and keep doing what you do and love, heck I would say that you show more determination than most to be already working on your haunt this early in the year, I wish I had that kind of motivation, so 2 thumbs up from me.

FROG ZOMBIE
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I'll say this... If I were walking through the forest and stumbled onto this scene, I would be FREAKED OUT. So... Well done! :wink:

Deathwing
04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I'll say this... If I were walking through the forest and stumbled onto this scene, I would be FREAKED OUT. So... Well done! :wink:

Really? Really? Either this Is this lip service or you are every haunted house actors dream come true because you'd be the worlds easiest mark. I think more than any guest, an insurance agent would really be most frightened by these scenes. Offering encouragement is a good thing but there are limits.

Mudsticky keep working and having fun with it but for the sake of all of us please consider safety first. Because the smallest haunt could have a tragedy and that will ripple all the way up to the guys with everything on the line.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Jake

austind
04-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Mud your are right that there has not been a lot of help. I know a lot of haunters that garbage pick, Goodwill, salvage, and garage sales. I have seen some of the coolest stuff come from the curb of someone else's house. I think a lot of people got scared by you stakes and caution tape, I do believe you were just doing it for layout. I f you need any thing and don't want to make it public then PM me and I will help. Allen is good for that too but he is very busy at times, so it can take a little time for him to get back with people.