PDA

View Full Version : Checking to see if I can upload photos...LOL

drfrightner
06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
What do you think of this photo? Now even I CAN UPLOAD photos... LOL

drfrightner
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow it works... I can do it even an idiot like me can do it!!! LOL Here is another one... Here is the cover for Hauntworld Magazine #17 Tell me what you think.

Nightgore
06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
It's amazing... Larry can post pics! HAHA... Cool feature, I'm sure this will get used ALOT!!! -Tyler

Infoamtek
06-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Larry, it looks as if one of the mags headlines says "peak" at Transworld 2008, instead of "peek".

PumpkinHead
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
good catch there, Infoamtek.

drfrightner
06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes you're looking at the WRONG JPEG of the cover...it was changed later. Thanks for giving me the heads up though!!!

Outside of that what do you think???

Larry

Infoamtek
06-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Since you asked...
Speaking as one who was a magazine graphic designer and Art Director for many years, I find the image good but the title and headlines flat, monochromatic and disappearing into the background. The purpose of a cover is to sell the magazine and get the readers interested in what's inside. The title and image get the person to pick up the magazine and the headlines get the potential reader to open the magazine. Although your magazine is subscription based, you still have to "sell" each issue, otherwise the readers just throw that issue away and let their subscription lapse. Try this experiment; take a couple issues of your magazine to your local magazine stand, place the issues as though they were being sold at that magazine stand, (not out front, but in the 2nd or 3rd tier). Now, stand back and look. Be honestly critical, does your magazine stand out? Or is it lost among all the others? What shows? The title and above title head, right? No picture. What's above the title? A boast. Does anybody else really care about that boast? Honestly, not really. They want to know what's in that issue for them. Put the most exciting/newsworthy/newest thing in that issue up there. Keep it pithy. Add a page number. (Sample: Increasing Your Ticket Sales, Pg. 32) Put this head in the brightest color/hue you can get away with with the most contrast. I know it's for the Haunt Business which is "dark", but it still has to be eye-catching. Then your headlines have to contrast with your image. Don't let them disappear. They "sell" what's inside. Having a website on the bottom is good, but, pick one. Two sites listed become confusing. Which one is more important? Anyway, those are my recommendations. I hope you find them helpful.