PDA

View Full Version : Best sites your pick...?

tonguesandwich
05-23-2013, 09:03 PM
So as I am scouting locations here in TN so I can start building next month for the 2014 season and mapping the bigger haunts... i was visiting their websites. Made me think about if the community had a fav 5 of sites of haunts.. Not the haunt itself or how much money they make but just a fav five of the designs you like the flavor of? The visual aspect. Anyone got favorites? The top 5 bad ass design, Halloween Attraction sites? Even if its a cookie cutter..whatever floats your boat!

Gore Galore
05-24-2013, 05:46 AM
There are tons of great haunt websites.
but

My #1 ultimate favorite haunt web site is
www.deadacres.com

this one presses on my brain;)

NightmareAftershockLLC
05-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Oh that site is vomit. Lol

I prefer clean, concise websites that are quick loading, easy to navigate, and show a good YouTube video on the home page.

Although slightly biased as they are right down the road from me, I prefer www.hundredacresmanor.com and www.scarehouse.com. Both have a very appealing and brief video that summarizes the haunt.

With more and more people using phones to view sites, ones that use a shitload of flash are tacky and not mobile friendly. It was cool 12 years ago, but as we thrust ourselves into a mobile and moving market, anyone is silly and dumb to not focus more on mobile development and simple websites that get the point across quickly and efficiently.

Just my opinion, though!

Darkangel
05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
The scarehouse website is nice but their show isn't very scary.
Whereas Dead Acres site is horrible but their show is great.

DA

NightmareAftershockLLC
05-24-2013, 07:38 AM
DA I agree, but some haunts go for more entertainment than "fear."

I prefer great marketing and advertising, that's what sells. Great YouTube videos followed by actors within the haunt that were in the commercials makes it feel more "Hollywood" and not as "scary."

However, HundredAcresManor is not only a clean and concise page but also quite a good scare.

Regarding scares, btw, I'm assuming you and I are on the same page regarding scare vs. startle. A SCARE is a no-shit fear that someone is fearful for their life or of an event or room, etc. A STARTLE is when you are caught off guard and your instincts of reactionary forces (fight or flight) kick in. This, for me, happens quite a bit. I am STARTLED easily. But scared? Hasn't happened since I was deployed my first time in 06, headed home in a C-130 and thought we were going down.

Just clarifying...

FrightProps
05-24-2013, 08:19 AM
i'm with Kevin... The www.deadacres.com (http://www.deadacres.com) site is pretty hard to beat! That style is right up my alley!

Doug.

Darkangel
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Nightmareaftershock,

I think I judge scary based on the level of intensity on how I feel as I tour. The suspense, the startle scares, the dealing of dread all adds up. I noticed the Scarehouse has a lot of actors, very commonly small girls, talking and yelling as you pass. It's kinda hard to get scared when you walk into the scene and you already see the actor and you pretty much know what's going to happen. I did think their sound did contribute to the scariness of their show. By no means it is a bad show its good, just not very scary for ME, is all.

DA

NightmareAftershockLLC
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
DA call me Keegan. :)

I agree with what you say, however. Good points. I still like their site much better than Hoochie. I think Hoochie is WAY too busy and distracting. Also, my opinion, sort of unprofessional looking.....

Just my opinion.

Darkangel
05-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Sorry Keegan, I was trying to remember your name just wouldn't come to me!

I agree though about the dead acres site, it's beyond busy and not as good a representation for how great the haunt is in my opinion.

DA

drfrightner
05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Couple things to keep in mind... many people are using their phones now or tablets so I wouldn't focus to much on flash elements anymore. Iphone for example doesn't support flash. Anyway I think the most important thing of all is content and easy navigation not necessarily all the flashy graphics and stuff. Can I get easy to find details about the haunt, directions, or buy tickets is more important than anything. I think videos or photos of the haunt let the customers know your haunt rocks or not.

For my haunts website I focus on slick graphics and tons of content... you can go over flashy but you might lose position on Google. When you go searching for my haunts you find them all over the place. I'm more concerned with overall traffic than I am an overly flashy website. I'm not doing mobile sites anymore because I find myself hating them because I want more content. On Hauntworld for example we simply got rid of the flash pumpkin map because of the mobile usage.

I think all haunt websites should have a blog we have one on Scarefest and it helps add content, and more up to date information.

You can check out my website www.scarefest.com

tonguesandwich
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Valid points but since we are talking about visual preference.. no one is wrong. I was so impressed with Dead Acres site years ago and how banging the sound popped the site, I contacted the band Creature Feature for rights to reuse their music which they granted. I downloaded their album and blasted it and drove my family crazy. Use it for one of my workout songs now...

Jolly Pumpkin
05-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Here is the problem with major web designers that many haunts use. The web designers do so many sites that they start to reuse graphics and use the same type of layout. I can usually go to a website and tell right away what company they're using. So, in order for the haunt to stand out, they have to be creative in what they want. I like Dead Acres' website because there's not another haunt out there that has a site like there's. It's crazy and off the wall just like the haunt is.

MovieRelics
05-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Here is the problem with major web designers that many haunts use. The web designers do so many sites that they start to reuse graphics and use the same type of layout. I can usually go to a website and tell right away what company they're using.

Agreed, but that's how some web designers keep their cost within the budget of the customer. If you want a totally unique look, you have to be willing to shell out more than ~ 1k.

badass
05-25-2013, 11:23 AM
I appreciate everyone enjoying our website .... It was over a year in the making..... I believe standing out in a crowd sells tickets .... Yet I was also concerned about quick content for mobile phones... Kids today use mobile ...So we have that too.. If u try to access the Haunted Hoochie website with a mobile device u will see....

on another note Midwest is around the corner... And man oh man did we make something kewl...no other haunt in America has anything even close to it . .... Yet.. It's sooo scary it has even scared me ...its just that good... Hope to c everyone here

redcrowdesign
05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Mine might not be as good, but they are pretty decent. Thought I'd drop by to show off LOL. I just finished a completely animated one:

http://redcrowdesign.net/themadness/

and here a couple of other ones that I'm also pretty proud of:

http://dimensionsofdarkness.com
http://juneaustudios.com
http://redcrowdesign.net/portfolio/websites/kmnweb/default.html
http://www.maliciousstudios.com/

tonguesandwich
05-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Those are bad ass sites Redcrow... Love the killer movies one!

redcrowdesign
05-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Those are bad ass sites Redcrow... Love the killer movies one!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your kind words!

sean
05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
That Scarefest site looks similar to the Hauntworld site....wonder if they're related ;)

Xanthar
05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I am very proud to see the Dead Acres site listed as one of the best sites of all - I do think it's a very unique site and unlike any others we have ever done.

I remember working back and forth on that website, and with my staff. I walked into the room and started the conversation with my graphics team like this...

"We are going to be working on a website, but nothing like we have done before....I want you to picture this. Imagine if Dante's Inferno could be written in the modern era....let's start with that concept for a haunted house. I've spoken with the owner and he has some really unique ideas and I want this to be completely over the top. For example, we are going to design two succubi dancing on stripper poles...."

That website was really crazy to make with the team...we pulled graphics from all over the place. One of the nicest owners to deal with as well, I've found in general, the Ohio haunt owners are quite a great group of people. One of our very first halloween websites ever was the Haunted Hydro.

As far as FLASH websites, I would like to point out, there is still quite a good solid use of Flash in today's world. You just absolutely HAVE to get a website designer/programmer who knows has experience with them. Myself and my team have taken classes on Search Engine Optimization, Flash in the modern place and mobile website design. This is really important.

If you JUST make a Flash website (100% flash only) - then Larry and others are correct, that's no good - way to many mobile devices are in use today.

However, if your website designer knows how to incorporate all of that together, then nothing beats a great unique flash site.
For example, we just finished Scare Farm.

http://www.ScareFarm.com

You will see a very unique Flash Website, lots of animation and great hayride/walk thru feel to it...classic design.

However, if you use a Mobile device, the website AUTOMATICALLY detects that you are using a ipad, iphone or one of over 4000 devices and takes you to the mobile device. which has ZERO flash in it.

Thus, your designer should give you options and be able to make you a custom flash website, a mobile website, and a great SEO site all in one if you desire such. It can always even be added later (for example, Dead Acres could always add a mobile element to their cool flash site at any time)

We don't do cookie cutter sites (we strive for unique-ness and quality over quantity), thus, they do take quite a bit longer to create, but the results can really help you stand out in your market and give you a great first impression.

Remember, a lot of people (the decision makers especially) are in an office environment and thus use flash and other things to determine for example WHERE they are going for a weekend. It's still important a lot. The mobile is really important as well, I just wouldn't sacrifice one for the other....both are important. To many plain jane sites look the same (or look cookie cutter) and that is terrible if you are trying to make your haunted attraction stand out from everyone else.

We are currently in the process of working on Nevermore Productions, really great guy and it is coming out with a very cool victorian haunted house feel to it.

http://www.nevermoreproductions.net/

Sincerely,

Robert Hightower
The Village of Darkness - Website Design
www.TheVillageOfDarkness.com
Rob@TheVillageOfDarkness.com

maliciousstudios
11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I believe technology will sway... You will need BOTH a entertaining website AS WELL as a mobile site...

People may enjoy using their cell phones but EVERYTHING looks better on a pc.

I've heard colleagues complain about ours and I've even thought about changing it / updating it with a all new design...

Redcrowdesign.net creates some of the most eyeGASMIC websites.

His websites are both flash and mobile and in my belief he blows the competition away.

Be sure to check them out !