PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Rich Hanf
06-14-2007, 05:34 PM
OK...so I'm hanging outside the other day and these two kids cut through my yard
I figure this is a good opportunity to see what's going on inside the heads of todays yout (what's a yout?). So I call them over and ask some basic questions
so I ask them what do they do, what do they listen to, what do they read, how do I reach you via advertising and what advertising is that.
What do you think they said??? I'll wait to see some of your replies and then tell
you what they said. Rich

undertaker
06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
We my guess is they Listen to Rap/Hip-hop, if they are like me they really don't read outside of Magazines, and for advertising if they are like me it would be TV and Internet.

Scottzilla
06-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll bet they spent a lot of time on MySpace.

dr0zombie
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
... "Bite me you old (*&@*^*&" ..... no...... maybe that was me at the same age....

Well I have a 14 year old...... Here is what I get from watching him...

Rock in a 70's fashion is back... so is punk / ska / whatever you call those bands that float in and out of titles like "Emo", whatever that is..... horror movies are cool again, but on their way out (I think too may bad ones, its a trend).... my kid reads a lot... as do his friends.... a mix of everything... playing in a band is cool.... advertising wise I would say internet and tv (DVR)..... he does not listen to the radio... and from taking high-school hockey players to games all winter none of them do..... for people under 16 I would say the radio is dead to them......

One of the things I got from my kid and Larry touts on this board is Myspace friends lists.... get em' ...have em' .... use em'..... its one of the few advertising methods that seems to be universal with them.... but that's just my guess.....

.... so ............not sure what your guys said.... they are people... ... and people are all so strange.......so they are probably totally different.....

RoguesHollow
06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Radio seems like its on its way out as a viable advertising medium thanks to podcasting and the like. Myspace still has a lot going for it but I am not certain about 2-3 years from now. It seems like its just becoming bogged down by spammers selling ringtones and penis pills so unless Myspace does something to head that off I'm not sure where Myspace will be in a few years. But that's just my opinion:)

Greg Chrise
06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm reading articles saying Myspace is equal to the website craze of the 90's just before the Internet crashed. 60 million pages of ugly nothing that doesn't download timely and has crappy content.

On the other hand, I'm seeing where if you are age 26, turning 27 and older you might not "get" Myspace. It is their address book that they have spent so much time figuring out how to put crap and glitter on that they might not give it up. That it is much more than what you see, thanks for the add and so on, as it has email features and messaging, and can be the little portal to anywhere for "them".

My most recent talk with a 14 year old was all about do haunted houses make any money, do they pay actors and did you know there was a Spirit Halloween Store this year, do you buy stuff there for your haunted house? After leaving me, they sat on a porch playing with cell phones but to the average kid I would think this is quite the luxury as it costs money. Myspace is free, paid for by advertisers?

As they get older, they may switch to Facebook which seems to be the choice of college age kids and young proffesionals.

Jim Warfield
06-15-2007, 12:07 AM
One thing that some 14 year old boys do not do is wash their behind often enough. Summer is here, it's "That " season.. "Wheew!"
Do most radio stations really ever concern themselves much with the 14 year old?
The stations around here seem to target the 35 to 50 year old market ,advertising tavern olympics, Harley functions,new car dealers, all stuff the 14 year old will not be too involved with directly.

brad
06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the radio is foreign to 14 yr. olds cause they dont drive yet. As soon as they start driving, then its a total different story.

I think it's all about myspace and YouTube right now. And text messaging too.

So what will it be Rich, what did them kids tell you?

Greg Chrise
06-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I guess Rich posted this a day or so ago and now he is out in the yard camoflaged as a fence waiting for them? Too far away from the computer?

Jim Warfield
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
My disguise is that of a 40 year old guy with prematurely grey hair...of course I'm 58! hahahaha!
Piz-poor disguise? You knew it all along? Drat! Back to the drawing board!
"Where's my long blonde wig? My pink party dress?"
I could be disguised as someone sitting on the fence.

Jonathan
06-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Well, MY guess is they prob listen to rock, like Linkin Park, Kill Switch Engage, White Stripes, etc. When it comes to reading, I think they prob do read, but that usually is all over the board.

Now advertising, it was prob all iPod, MP3 listening. Most advertising that would influence them would be from iTunes, MYspace, YouTube, and other networking and MP3 sites. Also anything that is a commercial on TV, or word of mouth campaigns, and commercials before movies during the trailers.

THese are just some of my thoughts, prob not right, but my idea of what they said.

Or then again...maybe they ran.

SomeThingInTheIce
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
?????Well,were waiting????

Greg Chrise
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Rich isn't going to Dormorfasize until the proper answer is posted.

How about, flyers at the place where they buy games, skateboards and look at but don't buy things or do a majority of their shoplifting?

I have asked in different small towns is what do you do for fun. The answer is go to Walmart, go to the bowling alley or hang out where the parents are gone. So you have to hang out in closets where people have gone on vacation. This can be very time consuming.

At 14 it needs to be free as they have no real money and something like $10 to $13 requires a Power Point Presentation of what chores they will be doing for the parents for such a monetary grant/reward.

This kind of brings us to doing haunt tours for what ever is in mommy's refrigerator as compensation. There it is, advertise on milk cartons. Are you missing? Wanna be?

Their frontal lobes are not fully developed yet so psychic direction or remote intent would work easily. Save newspaper clippings of any child in the town and hire some sensitives to contact them at the right time using this as an etheral connection. Getting clothes left behind in laundro mats and having just been turned into the Goodwill dumpster and dogs would work too.

14 year olds rarely get their gym towels cleaned so dispense free haunted house gym towels and scary soap on a rope.

Have the dentist implant your specific haunt radio chip in their teeth about age 8.

Hook up with department stores to offer personalised whitty tighties with your name, address and a map (that looks like a treasure map) to the haunted house.

I'm convinced all of the above are the right answer and these kids just told you what you wanted to hear to get away.

Greg Chrise
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Inexpensive fussion tiped boring devices to connect tunnels to all the closets in town.

Underwear and towel vendors.

Dental radio chip technology.

Seminars on wether accepting things from mommies refrigerator should be consumed by the sell by or good until dates.

Inexpensive give away programable power point presentations for kids to collect ticket money. It should be under $1 and present facts of what other kids in the neighborhood have to do for certain amounts of allowance with graphs and charts and grouping by age research. Insert your commercial on the DVD.

Books on how to train dogs how to hunt for 14 year olds using their sense of smell.

Or actually the whole conundrum is easier than all of this? To get the info to these kids just put up an interactive display where the kids cut through Rich Hanf's yard?

Mr Nightmarez
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
They said - I don't listen to radio I have MP3 Player. Or I get my tunes off the web. TV, nawwww
Movies possibly....

So Hanfodomos please enlighten the masses, and remind me which video has your gallows trick, why you're at it!

drfrightner
06-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Often I will talk to my own actors, kids in the mall, friends, people I meet, I poll people... I don't follow ratings, or bogus info given to me by radio stations. I go with what people tell me... if you ask enough people you will get a good read on what is happening.

Personally I think media is shifting ONLINE... places with high traffic counts, where people hang out like MYSPACE and FACEBOOK or YOUTUBE.

Last year we advertised directly on MYSPACE and will do it again.

I don't buy into the get as many friends as you can thing, I'm more into placing banners on THEIR profiles where THEY go each day to read their mail or post on their blogs.

I did this last year and it was effective.

Radio is under seige, and if you continue to ignore other outlets to promote your haunt over the next ten years you're going to get left in the dust.

I will TELL EVERYONE WHO WILL LISTEN A SIMPLE FACT...

As we go forward into the future YOUR best form of marketing, your BEST form of reaching customers is through your OWN customers. The day will come when you might be able to market exclusivly ONLINE, through your own customer base, through mailings to peoples homes, or emails to their address.

If you set up your business, your website to capture their emails to retrieve your coupons lets say then you have them...

Next year you can fire off one email to 15,000 of YOUR customers in ONE swoop!

The following year that list grows to 30k, then 45k then 60k and one day over 100,000 emails.

Who needs radio at that point? When you have audio, video and animations on your website to tell the story, to sell the attraction.

Use your media NOW to build your FUTURE!

Larry

Jim Warfield
06-22-2007, 10:05 PM
So you think that you have just had a good year and 100,000 of your good friends all show up needing to borrow a dollar!
Or 50,000 of them send you invites to their wedding? (PLease include money or a nice gift)
Or worst of all, 25,000 of them all call at the same time wanting to sell you life insurance!
(It all makes it sound as if you would be living in an ant hill!)
Difficult to get turned on by an ant beauty queenm since no matter what, she would still be your ant! Is the Uncle hill next door?