PDA

View Full Version : Some more Ghost Town pictures

ClusterOne
06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Inspired by MidnightEvil's thread on Calico, I wanted to show you all some photos I took about a month back, while visiting a ghost town here in northern California.

Seeing that we do a 'undead western' theme every year, I am always on the look out for old west stuff, I heard about this place on TV somewhere, and decided I had to go visit.

So I packed up the family and took the 4 hour drive up to the sierra's, about 20 miles from the Nevada/California to visit Bodie, CA. This place is amazing, it has been called the best ghost town in the West, and I believe it!

In 1879 Bodie went from about 20 people to an estimated 10,000 in 8 months! It was second to none for wickedness, and killings became a daily regularity. And the climate was, and still is, know as 'the worst climate out of doors'. At one point the town had 65 saloons! Offering many opportunities for 'relaxing'... ;)

Now this place is part of the California historic park system, and is maintained in a state of "arrested decay". (love that phrase!) Due to the cold there is still about 100 buildings standing, some with the contents still inside. This is only about 5% of the buildings it used to have, due to fires.

If you are interested in checking out some more info on Bodie, check out this link
http://www.bodie.com/

The link below will take you to some of the pictures I took. My photographing skills and my equipment is not that great, but do a search to find some professional photos if you want, the place seems to be a magnet for professional photographers.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/heartstoppers/Ghost%20towns%20of%20California/

Hope you enjoy!

-Joel-

psychomelon
06-18-2007, 12:06 AM
thats some pretty cool shots.... now if i could just borrow some of that wood for the facade, we would be set. ;-)

redcrowdesign
06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Great pics dude, the town is beautyful.

Sounds incredible how after 500 years those wooden buildings are still standing!

Raycliff Manor
06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Awesome inspiration for distressing techniques! Incredible shots Joel! Thanks for sharing!

Kel