PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on animating a doll

Capt.Chaos
12-06-2013, 07:44 PM
I picked up this 4' tall Sesame Street "Ernie" doll. I am going to animate it. I know I could use pneumatics but I was thinking of using servos. Can anyone give me some advice? I think you can get creepier smoother effects with the servos. I don't want violent shaking you see from most pneumatics.
Thanks
Buck

Allen H
12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Buck,
I use these for most of my servo control. you can load a program into them and then they run the program in a loop. I like them because most of the controllers need to be hooked to a computer to work, this one is stand alone.

http://www.pololu.com/product/1350

I get my servos and pan and tilt mechanisms from here

http://servocity.com/

If you need more specifics feel free to call.
Allen H

Trepidation acres
12-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I've been curious about using servos, either of you know of any good tutorials for a guy trying learn how they work and the different parts involved?

Capt.Chaos
12-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey Allen

I have been looking on servo city. Why don't you use their controllers? They have ones that have 4 outputs that you don't have to hook a computer to, I think. Cost issue? I assume you can trigger these controllers you like.
Thanks Allen.

Buck

Allen H
12-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I actually like the pololu better because it was easier to program, and I am not to smart. Make sure you read up on the servo city controllers, they dont always say that they need to be tethered until you call for support.

gadget-evilusions
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM
The rotational and linear servos I have used on animatronics also come from servo city. I animate them all with controllers from EFX-TEK however.

Capt.Chaos
12-09-2013, 08:26 AM
After much research, I pulled up my Stan Winston account and spent the weekend watching them animate a mountain lion. FYI, anyone that likes to build stuff should really drop $300 on a membership. Awesome tutorials and idea generator.

Buck

gadget-evilusions
12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I have been watching those videos as well. Very informative stuff.