PDA

View Full Version : Would you stay in a haunted home?

aesop
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a haunted home in a beautiful small town in the middle of the United States. However, this couldn't be my primary residence. I was wondering, do you think if I rented it out nightly or weekly that people would actually stay in a home that has had some paranormal activity? It really is a quaint little town, and there are attractions within an hour. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jim Warfield
06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Renting out a "Haunted Experience" will be tough to do since they usually don't show up on schedule (False Advertising?)
What do you think or know or have personally experienced of a supernatural nature? Was it good or bad? People have totally polarized feelings concerning such things and either extreme can be alot of trouble for you.
Is a ghost totally "Evil"? Many will tell you they are, these types may be picketing and threatening to torch the house, especially if you get alot of good press or advertise it heavilly and draw alot of attention to it.
As far as couples go I seemed to see many couples that have totally different feelings about this. One person thinks it's wonderfull and simply stimulating, the other half of the couple is terrorfied and wants to run a 100 yard dash in any direction, just "away" from there. When fear overrides simple curiosity the "evil" things may occur? (Real or imagined?)
Then you will see the common person saying "I have always wanted to have a supernatural experience!"...yes they do, until something strange happens, then they about crap themselves and become a frightened 2-year old!
The wine cellar here has been haunted since at least 1925. It is funny how these "Wanna-Sees" so quickly change when they find themselves in this room.
Advertising something as Really haunted will scare away as many people as it attracts in my opinion, net gain= "0", talking financially.
"Things" seem to happen here within a two-day window on either side of the full moon, but not always by any means.
I only began telling people about "The Supernatural" here after many things had happened and I didn't want anyone to experience something supernatural and think they had simply become insane, when this was not the case.

Kevin Dells
06-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Well this could go two ways and Jim made some good points.

My take would be if you rented it out and nothing happened during the stay people would feel they were ripped off and demand their money back and as Jim stated it would be false advertising. Anybody could say any house was haunted.

If they were there and something did happen then i could see it scaring them so bad they would want their money back as well ,at least then you could say they got their moneys worth. But i could see a lot of guests experiencing nothing at all as activity probably dosen't happen everyday.

Now if this was a haunted castle or very larrge mansion with a ton of history such as Vlads castle you would be attracting more people based on the fact of the history of the property.

Personally i see this as a no win situation and a bad investment.

IF the house was big enough to buy and turn into a haunt you would have a great storyline already in place. Jim's haunt Ravens Grin Inn is just that kind of place and there aren't many of that type in the world,so it attracts people.

That and his adorable cat, you would certainly need to get yourself a cat and set it loose on the grounds!

redcrowdesign
06-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I think that 'stay a night in a real haunted house' is more for dares and stuff like that than for an attraction, I mean, most of your customers would be paranormal investigators and 'frat-kids' so you would have probably a customer per month or something.
Your best bet if you buy a real haunted house is make tours, put some creepy decoration and webs and set the ambient before a group of people go inside. As for the fake publicity, well, put a disclaimer: "when you enter the house blah blah blah you MAY and you MAY NOT witness paranormal crap, this enterprise is not responsible for blah blah blah"

Jim Warfield
06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I sometimes give the disclaimer that if they Really Wanted a supernatural experience that they would have to play the odds by attending here two nights ahead or after the full moon, if they wanted to increase those odds more (in my opinion) they would have to be here October 31st for "Ghost -Seeker's Night", things always happen that night, things that I could not begin to duplicate if I had a million dollars and all the time in the world to pursue just those effects.
Or if you REALLY, Really wanted to have a supernatural experience...you would have to be legally married to ME!
Ask my ex-wife, ask Jessica, my wife...she experiences many strange and scary things here...none of which are done by me!

dr0zombie
06-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I would say Jim probably has some of the best experience on running an event out of a hunted house anywhere. That said...... Having lived in a house built in the 1840's, by the founder of the town I was in, whom just happened to die in the home, by accident on the premises, that was supposedly haunted, I would say you can't rely on a "haunting" for much of anything. Someone with a solid belief in science or religion will never accept the haunting no matter how much proof lies before them. The other people who show up who are on the bubble of belief will want proof and you will probably not get cooperation from the ghost, or whatever. .. and....the people who really want to see something will see one... This is all assuming the experience is friendly, it not you could just have some very upset people. If the house has history to it, good history, like The Winchester Mansion history, then I think you might have an event. The house I lived in was built by the founder of a small town in Illinois and probably would have attracted about zero guests as an event. The home even shows up in genealogy listing for the state of Illinois http://genealogytrails.com/ill/whiteside/oldhomeswallace.html (as I am sure Jim's place does). One of the owners after my family didn't make it using the home as a bed and breakfast, I can't see how a haunted bead and breakfast with an uncooperative ghost would help.

Just out of curiosity, have you asked this question on some of the ghost hunter / paranormal type forums? I think those people might be part of your target audience, maybe they would travel miles for this.... who knows....

Just to note.... just the idea of marriage to Jim scares the heck out of me....

redcrowdesign
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
No one better than me knows how powerful the mind is, with a little concentration I can control about everything I see, hear, smell, feel and dream. Sometimes I can even take control of my dreams while I am in a dream.
You don't need anything but a good story, ericksonian* hypnosis is a VERY powerful tool, if you set the correct ambient, your patrons can even 'see' things inside a haunt that aren't there. Now, if you want some 'extra' help, you can put motion sensors that activate sounds or pepper ghosts in some places, but keep in mind that a paranormal investigator may find all those.
Something more exotic would be to 'project' high and low frequency sounds and elecromagnetic radiation towards the patrons, this stuff can make vibrate the optic nerve and affect parts of the brain creating vivid hallucinations that can't be achieved in any other way.

*ericksonian hypnosis is a powerful hypnotic method that goes straight to the subconscious, almost no one can resist it and the good part is that the patient never goes to an actualy trance, they don't even know they are being hypnotised.

Jim Warfield
06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
When being in a haunted house , as operated as a business during October, your customers will be in your place, enjoying what you have provided for them maybe 15 minutes?
When doing any kind of actual haunted venue some customers will want to be in your property for numerous hours. This alone should be a financial discouragement to most people reading these Hauntworld's boards, but then add to this the emotional or psychological expectations or previous experiences each person brings to the potential experience and you had better be the kind of a person who will be willing and able to handle others during unpredictable moments.
You might meet some people who come to you already pushed to the edge of acceptable normal behavior. The fear of a possible supernatural experience is enough to make them extreme enough to do you or your property real harm.
In a business-haunt venue we try to basically upset people's self control and this is entertainment for a normal , confident person...but everyone that you meet is not so lucky to have such a usefull outlook on life.
Some bring their own ghosts with them, no matter where they go.
After the fact, I have sometimes learned about a person's track record as far as dealing with their life, and I have had second thoughts and breathed a sigh of relief that they passed for "normal" when here when I was informed of such unstable, and criminally prosecutable incidents that seem to be their lot in this life.
Not everyone comes through life's tortures and severe dissappointments well.

scaryguy666
06-30-2007, 01:40 PM
yeah i would

virgil
06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I do every night.....

Frighteners Entertainment
06-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Same a Virgil, though I have not seen a thing, well, I think I've not seen a thing happen.

Nightmaretony
06-30-2007, 11:17 PM
My old place was haunted, so is my new place. No worries.

Jolly Pumpkin
07-02-2007, 10:56 AM
It really depends if this place has a lot of haunted history and is well known in the town it's located. The chance to see some paranormal activity would be worth the price of admission. But the majority of haunted places that charge to stay a night are ones that are famous like Waverly Hills Sanatorium and Mansfied Reformatory. These haunted places have also been used in countless TV and Movies. So it really depends on how you have the place set up. If you decorate it in a spooky fashion and add creepy lighting on the outside you may attract visitors especially when it gets closer to Halloween.

Frighteners Entertainment
07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Heres a link to my house, you're more than welcome to take a tour.
You might even see something??
The tour is what the house looked like before we moved in.

http://www.thefrighteners.com/visualtour.htm (http://www.thefrighteners.com/visualtour.htm)

drfrightner
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I would without even thinking about it... Larry