PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Remake

damon carson
08-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I went to a special premier last night. Got free tickets, got ran through security with metal detectors. Was watched through the entire movie. Told to keep our cellphones off. And after all this you know what. The movie Sucked! Its nothing like the original. The acting is bad by most. Mainly Zombies, Sherre Moon and this Scout Taylor Compton. She is no Jamie lee Curtis much less Laurie Strode. They tried to switch up the story. Add a senseless sometime really stupid backstory. And then the ending is really bad. This movie is a nightmare to say the least. Zombie makes Michael scary again only in a more realistic way. No really unique ways of killing people just plain brutal. Its very gory with no suspense what so ever! Nothing like the original! Sorry but I hated it! Im a big fan of the original and I know they are trying to do something different but somethings you dont change! And they tried to change everything. Just when you thought something was going on like in the original and you got ready and were excited. Bam nothing a very big let down! I would give Halloween a 6 out 10 butcher knives. Go check it out. There might be something you like? But I wouldnt go see it again, and I got in free!
Happy Halloween,
Damon

MMManiac
08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Remakes are not ment to be exact copies of the original otherwise it would be pointless to remake it. It appears as if (which I could be wrong, I wont be seeing it until tonight) Zombie took the main "theme" of the original and turned it into his own story. It's not easy to remake a classic. I agree some classics (such as this) should be left alone but some people's creativity pushes them to attempt it.

RobbeOne
08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I have to agree with original post. I saw the movie as well and it was very bad. It was a downhill train wreck pretty much once he becomes an adult. I love the Halloween series, and I love Rob Zombie's films but this was pretty bad. I cringed during a lot off the scenes the last 40 minutes. Giving Michael a back story makes him less scary. People are going to either love it or hate it. I personally thought it was awful, but that is my opinion from a big Michael Myers fan. Other people may think different.

Nightgore
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
So it's just like the original! The original was horrible...

Oh look, he's killing people for no reason.... look, he can't die! WATCH OUT... he's wearing a mask and stabbing people to death! Damn, that's original!

Don't think I'm argueing with you, I'm not. I'm just saying that you've only seen it once and seems like you were "hassled" in order to see it. Go, see it again and try to pay attention to the small details! -Tyler

PS: The acting was awful in the original as well!

MMManiac
08-31-2007, 04:00 PM
come on nightgore jamie Lee was amazing in the original! The "Scream Queen." I guess we all have our opinions.

Howie Slobber Erlich
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
The original Halloween is hands down the best modern day horror movie. The acting was good for that type of movie in those days. Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasence were both very good. It was for sure one of the scariest horror movies ever. Remember, Halloween started the modern day slasher films. The rest that came after didn't even come close to the quality of Halloween.

I am going tomorrow to see the Rob Zombie version. I know it will not compare to John Carpenters version. But it is not supposed to. Even Rob Zombie says it's completely different. He loved the original and that was one of the biggest reasons he decided to do this movie. I am going in with an open mind, hoping not to be too disapointed. We will see.

Just my opinions,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

damon carson
08-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Howie you took the words right out of my mouth. Nightgore I dont know how much you know about horror but Halloween is the movie that started it all far as slasher films go. And it didnt do it with alot of gore! It did it with a well written script, an amazing cast with Jamie lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance and a great director John Carpenter. It was made on like $300.000 and was at its time the largest grossing independant film of all time. Its just Robs film doesnt do it justice. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I tried not to bash it too bad on here. I went in with an open mind when I saw it. I knew it wasnt going to be exact but it would have been better if it had some elements like the original. Its just this thing goes way out of what the original movie was all about. No suspense, nothing its like lets just let the camera roll and see what we end up with. Sorry I wont see this one again till it goes to video.
Damon

Nightgore
08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
IDK... After taking acting classes and working in professional theater, I'd like to think I've seen good acting. I don't think there was any in the original Halloween movie! -Tyler

Gravely
09-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Loved the original, did not like the remake.

I do like a lot of modern horror, I just don't think I like Rob Zombie's style of storytelling or cinematography.

And after 3 films now, okay, I get it.
White trash hillbillies are capable of insane amounts of cruelty.
I get it, I'm done. I don't need to see anything from him again, till he does something new.

make a movie where the bad guys wash their hair, and call me.

Gravely

bhays
09-01-2007, 01:01 AM
I saw it tonight. We did a promo with the theater and had our hearse and all our slasher characters, Michael, Freddy, Jason, Pinhead out for pictures and to harass the crowd ;) Leatherface and his chainsaw got the first peetality of the pre-season.

I liked the movie. It is very different from the original, but really good in it's own way. Much more gritty and real. I think Rob Zombie updated the story for a modern audience.

The original was great, but it wouldn't play so well to our current audiences. The current audience is numbed to the old style horror movie. They want lots of gore and intensity, we're talking about the Saw generation here...

drfrightner
09-01-2007, 01:03 AM
WOW...I guess I'm not in the minority here but I thought the new Halloween movie ROCKED and ROLLED!

I loved the original and to this day feel its one of the best ever!

But Halloween by Rob Zombie in a lot of ways was much better, more brutal and more believable. I loved the whole back story part of the film, and the time Mike spends in the Aylum, it really builds up the villian pretty good.

The real difference between Rob Zombies Halloween and John Carpenters is that Mike is ONE MEAN MUTHER F*CKER! The mask is cooler, he is pissed off, and he's just ruthless!

Some of the things I didn't like was the whole Laurie charactor because she just didn't come across in this film. This movie was really about the killer, and the Lauri Stroad or however you spell it she's just like a blip in the film as are her friends. The minute they get into the movie they're wiped out.

You never really get to know Laurie like you did in the original film, as this movie isn't about her its about the DEVIL himself.

I liked the movie, despite some flaws back it really gave Myers a face, it gave him a back story and now you know where he's coming from. I also liked the fact that this time they don't have a small and wimpy Myers but a huge, mean ruthless killer!

I will say this... this Myers will kick the crap out of Freddy or Jason. He's mean and he's ruthless!

I liked it, no I loved it!

Do I like it better than the original....ahhhh who knows. Two totally different movies while two totally the same movies.

Different vision, different film, but still the same vision and the same film.

Who can forget the remake of Psycho...what a bummer that was. Even though this movie was a lot the same it was a lot different as well.

I liked it!

Again no loved it!

Larry

MDKing
09-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Myers was more brutal in this new movie and he certainly looked scary and intimidating with his size, but the acting did really suck. And like Ricky said, the White Trash thing is getting real old. He has no clue how to be edgy other than over the top brutality and smut, and writing lines where someone says 8 words and 7 of them were profane. To me that's lame. He seems like he's trying to be vulgar for the sake of being vulgar because he's not a good storyteller.

There were some scenes in the movie I liked, but it was still a forgettable film. I noticed they seem to have left one key character alive, so he will probably do another one.

John Carpenter created a mystique for the Halloween movies and the Character Michael Myers, and Rob Zombie didn't....

Allan

Paul Boyd
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I did not like it. I agree with Gravely.

If Zombie is going to make any more movies he really needs to get a new cast....

using the same people over and over in each of his movies playing different roles isnt working.... and drop the obscene language spits - really unnecessary.

The original rocks!!

--

Nightgore
09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
You could also same the same to Adam Sandler... damn it, get a new cast! -Tyler

drfrightner
09-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I do agree that the movie really felt like his other two movies, being overly profane, and the casting was a bit off, her boyfriend treating her kids like that I just don't buy that. She's this hot baby stripper and he's this deadbeat abusive ugly old idiot. No way!

Yeah, yeah, I get it.

But c'mon this is a horror movie! And was it scary? I jumped three times and I never jump ever! Was Myers brutal? Did you buy the fact that Myers was a killer? Did you like the backstory?

I liked the backstory, the movie was scary and lets just admit it was there ever a better sequel to this franchise? Most of these Myers movies are freakin beyond stupid, cheese ball, laughable and beyond dumb. Atleast this movie make Myers out to be a real brutal killer!

Again despite its flaws I liked the movie. I don't think you could do a better job with creating a backstory for this guy, or making a scary HORROR movie!

LOL

Larry

Gravely
09-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Larry,
You have a few good points.
I did jump, as did my friends that were with me.
at the startle scares, not at the killings.

gee there's a haunt idea, startles work better than gross out. hhhmmmmm.;-)

But it WAS scarey at times. I agree.
I guess I would be much happier if it had been another original rob zombie movie, instead of draped in the classic names and themes of Halloween.

So, it was horror, it did make people jump, but it's not halloween.
By giving michael all that poor little abused kid stuff, it throws away all the suspense of the original about who is this guy, and why does he do this, and why can't he be killed.

So If I can change all the names of the characters, and not have mr sandman playing all the time.

I'll go along with it's an okay modern horror slasher movie.

but they still need to wash their hair.

Howie Slobber Erlich
09-01-2007, 03:34 PM
It was ok. About what I expected.

If you put it by itself, and don't compare it to the original. Which is impossible to do.

I did not find it scary at all. I did not jump, but one of my friends did once.

I agree with Gravely about the back story. I hated knowing all about him as a child. It took all the questions about why he was the way he was out of it. I also wish that if they were going to put some versions of scenes from the first one in they should have included several other memorable shots from the first. I don't think enough homage was paid to what Carpenter created.

By far the best sequel to the franchise was "Season of the Witch," just kidding! Part 2 was very well made and had a lot of the feel from part 1. I would say 2 was the best sequel.

Over all it was better than most of the other remakes or sequels that have come out over the last several years. I don't think Zombie should make another Halloween though. I would also agree that unless he makes another sequel to House of 1000 Corpses/Devils Rejects, he should find some new actors. I did think that the kids in the movie did a pretty good job acting. Malcolm McDowell sucked as Dr. Loomis. He had almost know feeling to his character. It seemed as if he was just reading his lines.

Just my thoughts. I think if you have never seen the original then you will probably like this movie a lot more.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich

Darkblood
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Hello there,
Just got back from seeing Halloween today (wearing my Hauntworld shirt) and my buddy (business partner) in his Tower of Terror shirt...the lady said to us..."Lemme guess...Halloween tickets?"
I had a free ticket...bought the Restored John Carpenter version yesterday at Best Buy for 10 bucks and it came with it!
So anyways...I LOVED IT!
Didn't make me jump (not much does) but it was different, yet familiar!
I liked Zombies House of 1000 Corpses...Rejects was okay to me!
I do agree some of the language/nudity could've been cut...
And the end, while a rush, was still no comparison to the original...
When we left the theater Terry said to me "Y'know the white trash thing is being done to death by Zombie!"
We agreed that had his parents been maybe well-groomed high level execs or even just middle class (albeit well-groomed) parents with that dirty secret (like they abuse the children) it would've been more effective...the stripper mom...white trash, jobless, druggie dad wanting to 'get with' his kids is so stereotypical...
But I did like the backstory and thought it was GREAT...
I can always watch Carpenters for the no-backstory killing machine...
Or Zombies for a deeper version...

That's my $0.02!!!
Kirk

drfrightner
09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Something I just thought of... when you watch the original Halloween and how he just kinda doesn't ever die, you think to yourself he's not human. The backstory kinda makes him human, but he still gets shot and keeps on going just like before.

I think the backstory should have made him out to be more like DAMON from OMEN movies... because if he's truely a person you can't kill, then not some abused child or abusive family back story really fits.

In fact he wasn't abused at home, in the movie his mother loves him more than anything...he's disturbed for sure, but you never really find out where the DAMON aspect comes from. How does he keep getting shot and he doesn't die...where does that come in?

Hmmm...

Either way I liked the movie and to some degree I think his movie makes Myers out to be a human but a human killing machine who can be killed.

Zombie already said he's NOT making another Halloween movie that this is it period for him... he said he's going to back to music for a while so we'll see.

Either way I think everyone is being rough on the movie because you love the original so much... all in all this movie kicked some HORROR booty in my opinion.

Larry

MDKing
09-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Geeze Larry, sounds like you must be getting a kickback or something from Zombie!

I hope you're right, I hope he's done making movies for a while...

Allan

Jim Warfield
09-02-2007, 07:19 AM
If you wanted a goood horror movie built , would you call a "Zombie" or a "Carpenter"?

damon carson
09-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey Larry its Damien not Damon! LOL! Im not the Devil am I??????
Damon

nocshroud
09-02-2007, 10:43 AM
in freakin credible, god damn amazing, i absolutely loved the remake, i saw many similarities compatible with the original film , fucking brilliant , it was everything i expected from rob zombies style in directing , i never jumped though , but i was at the very top of the theater so i actually watched the entire audience startle dance at the same time, Great Job Rob Zombie Keep Up The Good Work.

nocshroud
09-02-2007, 10:46 AM
oh yeah hey jim , i would call them both

pumpkinpulp
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Larry on this one. I thought it kicked major ass! It is about time someone brought some balls back to the "Halloween" franchise. I think everyone needs to quit comparing it to the original and just look at it as its own film. No remake ever beats a classic but it does hold up on its own. If anything....atleast it brings the haunting season early this year.
Brian

drfrightner
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
There in lies the problem... compare this movie to itself.

I do not think its as good as the original, the white trash stuff was a bit over the top, and some of the development wasn't so great... but was it a good horror movie? Trying to remake the original could it have been much better or any better? Hmmm...

Either way this movie GROSSED 26 million this weekend, which does not including Monday. Its expected to go over the 30 million mark after Monday so someone wanted to see it... whoops I guess all of us did. LOL

Halloween broke the all time Memorial day weekend record... this is GOOD news for us Haunted House people!

People are now in the mood for some screaming!!! LOL

Larry

MDKing
09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Well, I for one never really compared it to the original, he said it would be different to begin with. I just thought it sucked. Way to profane, he was reaching way too far with that angle, and completely predictable
and not original
at all. He's a one trick pony with his creative style
of movies, and it's grown tired by now. I just thought it could have been way better, and dare I say with a touch more class even with it being a horror film...

Allan

bhays
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
What those who lament the profanity and gore in this version need to realize is that our society was in a totally different place when the original Halloween premiered, probably a better place, but that's water over the bridge.

We have lost our innocence as a society and there is no going back, we are now dealing with the Saw generation of horror movie fans. I am a huge fan of the original Halloween, but I think today's younger generation would see it as corny and overly quaint.

What Zombie did was bring Michael Myers into the current generation. I thought the movie rocked and hopefully it will translate to increased ticket sales in a few weeks. Our Myers scene is suddenly more relevant.

Here's a shot of some of our cast members at the premeire:

drfrightner
09-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Brett,

It looks like you have the WHOLE posse there with Pinhead, Leatherface and the lot. Nice pic! I do think this Halloween movie on the heels of everyone opening will help!

Larry

Gravely
09-03-2007, 10:32 AM
We did an event at our big theater as well.
3 hearses up near the ticket booth, and 6 characters. plus a display in the lobby.

They did not sell many tickets except for the later show. but all day long, the theaters were less than half full.

many people who knew us and are customers, were going to see other movies, as it was " too early for halloween movies"

my market is a weird one. and this is why I don't bother opening into November either, cause that's christmas.

damon carson
09-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Not to really keep this thread going I dont remember jumping once during the new Halloween. It all was very predictable and disappointing to me. I agree this one shouldnt be compared but it will mainly because it bares the name Halloween. The original Halloween is a classic and started the slasher movie era. I think its great Rob Zombies movie made the amount it did. Thats great for a horror movie and it will probably continue to do well. And hopefully it helps get customers to get in the mood of going to haunts this year.
Damon

Motograter
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought it was a great movie. I will be buying this one on DVD when it comes out. Probably go see it a second time at the theaters.

Sean Coleman
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought it was okay. I liked the backstory, but it was too long and should have been cut down a little to give more time to get to know and more importantly care about the three girls getting killed.

bhays
09-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I just posted a gob of pictures from our premiere event on our blog.

http://www.fearfair.com/blog

Howie Slobber Erlich
09-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Well, whether you hated or loved the movie there is one positive fact. The movie broke the box office record for Labor Day weekend grossing over 31 million dollars. I take that as a good sign for the haunt season for sure. People must be ready for Halloween.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich

mindtumor
09-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I really liked this movie. I don't understand Zombies fascination with low class hicks though.

I didn't care for the first part of the movie. The profanity seemed forced and the reasons he became a killer were kind of lame. Once he became an adult the movie was awesome. I loved how he was just intensly brutal. I liked the scares, they actually kept me off balance. I thought the second half off the movie made the whole thing. Overall, I really liked the movie (aside from Mike being a kid).

Jonathan
09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
I went to the film with an open mind and clean slate. Coming from liking both Devils and House I expected something fresh and new to the franchise. But Rob has proven to have no talent as a film maker.

The backstory did to Myers what it did to Vader, made them less scary, less sinister and made you laugh at them at times. The films cinematography was horrible. Too many camera styles, the sections to the film were very hard cut and didn't mesh well and if you are going to take the time to develop a backstory, do it fully. Okay he had a bad homelife, we get that, but there was no developement as to why we care how he devloped into the shape. I mean, come on, there was no character developemnt as to why the urge to kill, what was going through his mind etc. At one point loomis says "i thought we had no secrets you and I" well how would we know that because you never developed the character. We don't care.

Loomis' character didn't even need to be in the movie. The first 20 min. of the film, okay we get it, bad home life. But the scene kept going and going and going. Sherri moon is the worst actress alive and to me it seemed like Rob was trying to capture an era (70s) and set the tone of that feel more than worry about creating a great story, or pushing the film forward.

When it comes to the later half of the film the (remake) it really went down hill. It was borderline exploitation film and gore for the sake of gore. You didn't care that anyone was getting killed, or why they were. Also if you spend a so called half of the film developing a backstory, then when he finally gets released to kill, explain that. So many open holes in this film its crazy. The teenage girls seemed like 20 somethings trying waaaaay too hard to sound like suburban high schoolers.

now the cast....Adam Sandler and others use friends in films, the main thing though is it is a few friends. I mean come on, I want to find everyone a part who is my friend and I will write 5 lines of verbage so they can have a sweet signature line for the soundtrack and one liners. Idiodic.

Man, so much more for me to go into, but I won't. I was all about this film. Was waiting for it and everything. I thought it would re-invent the franchise like Batman Begins did to that franchise. What I learned is, Myers is from a bad home life, its a twisted kid killing, his mim was a dancer, his step dad was a prick, and he liked to make masks.

If Resurrection was the demise of the franchise, this one is final nail to it. Rob is a one trick pony. Let'sall wipe our eyes from the null void of lackluster horror and poor story telling and pretend it was all because of the Druids.

(I will say though, there was some good to it)

Nightgore
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I still think it's better than the original... Carpenter doesn't know how to make movies. People like Peter Jackson, Sam Raimi, Neil Burger, and yes.. even Zombie make GOOD, story driven movies!

I hate it that people think for a good horror movie all you need is a killer, some blood and cheap "carnival style" scares. This is why I am loving the Texas Chainsaw remakes and the Amityville remake.

In todays age, and todays kids going to see horror movies; they look at it like this: Old movies like Carpenters, Englunds, etc... are old and lame. They are used to newer, grungier movies like Saw, Dead Silence, and the new Halloween.

Times are changing... we just have to embrace it. -Tyler

Jonathan
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I agree times change and culture moves forward. But zombie isn't a good story teller.

He is a stylist, not a movie maker. He creates a film in his style, which worked for DEvils and House. But he can't go beyond that. The story never drives forward, the characters a re lifeless and you don't care about them and he needs to broaden his breadth of direction.

But I agree Tyler, times change and people change, society changes. I don't thinksome dislike the new halloween becuase of the remake aspect. It is looking at it in a film making perspective. I took 4 yrs of filmmaking and anyl. of films in college and even when you like a film sometimes it still sucks. I have many that I would write horrible reviews for, but personally love.

On to the future....hopefully not SAW 89405849054

Infoamtek
09-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes, Carpenter's Halloween is lame today because it made the audience rely on something today's kids no longer have. Their IMAGINATIONS! Today's directors seem to share that flaw. Remakes, Redos, Hommages. Hide this lack of creativity with frentic action and swooping camera moves. Show the monsters, show the blood, show the gore! More, MORE, MORE!!! This is not horror cinema, this is horror porn, with sharp implements doing the full frontal, spurting penetrations. Mysogonistic fantasies, with girls as death objects, where the sympathies are not with the victims, who are mere meat to be tortured and slaughtered, but with the pedophilic killers who are the protagonists of this new pornographic paradigm. Bread and Circuses, my friends. Rome is falling.

RobbeOne
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Nightgore wrote: "I still think it's better than the original... Carpenter doesn't know how to make movies." That is a pretty bold statement considering he was one of the orginal directors to make the "slasher" movie. I respect your opinion but I have to disagree... Zombie's vision even as a stand-alone movie is bad. A few other posters have noted that when you know the backstory it takes away from the mystery. This is exactly the case. The unknown is way more scary. There are way to many plot holes as well. Also, gore and violence is not as scary when it is seen on screen... it is alot more scary when it is done off camera and your mind interprets what is happening. At least it does get people in the mood for the season though. I will give him that. I think 31 million is a good start for it.

mindtumor
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Carpenter can't make movies? I don't know about that considering he made it in 78 or whatever. I hope to God they don't make any movies like Dead Silence, that in my opinion was a terrible movie, weak plot, bad acting, and bad story.

MMManiac
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
So i finally saw the new halloween this weekend and loved it! Now compaired to the original halloween, doesnt even compair. Carpenters version will always be the best but Zombie did a awesome job taking the story and making it his own. Like mentioned before it did have the house of 1000 corpses feel but thats just Zombie for ya.

Sean

P.S. Sherry Moon Zombie is STILL hot!

bhays
09-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, Carpenter's Halloween is lame today because it made the audience rely on something today's kids no longer have. Their IMAGINATIONS! Today's directors seem to share that flaw.

Sadly, movies in the vain of the original Halloween would no longer have something else, ticket sales.

Look at the box office totals, this movie gave today's audience what they want, that's our audience and customer base as well, so we should take note.

SpFXChic
09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I finally saw it, and I wasn't overly impressed. Didn't care for it much as a remake. Didn't care for it much if you separated it as its own film. It didn't really scare or startle me.

Though I liked the back story, it really made the character less spooky...it took all of the mystery out of it.

I don't particularly like Rob Zombie's storytelling. I was completely psyched when they said that he was coming out with House of 1000 Corpses and that his style was more similar to that of the 70's. But everything he has filmed so far has been a let down to me. :(

I just didn't like it. But, I'm glad there are people who really did...don't want our little genre slipping away.

MDKing
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Nightgore, how can you possibly put Zombie in the same group as Peter Jackson? LOTR are some of the best movies ever, my opinion they are the best and millions probably agree. Zombie's movies cater to the lowest common denominator....He'll never join anyone in the list you mentioned if he continues to put out what he has so far....

Allan

Nightgore
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
^ Have you seen Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners"... I didn't say anything about LOTR!!! All these directors have something in common that is popular today that the older "classic" directors could never do... CREATE AMAZING VISUALS! -Tyler

Infoamtek
09-04-2007, 10:57 PM
But that's just the technology and budget. It has nothing to do with the director. Carpenter did amazing things with lighting, camera angles, music and all done on a shoestring budget.

Jim Warfield
09-04-2007, 11:09 PM
If the November weather is decent and or predictable, I can be very busy.
Who comes here in November? People from other haunted houses!
(They sure can't come here in October!)

Jonathan
09-05-2007, 04:20 AM
I will say this....if the movie company had faith in the Zombie Halloween it wouldn't have been released on the slowest and worst weekend of the year for films. And thats according to hollywood. Labor Day Weekend is when pretty much nothing comes out. Its a bad release weekend year after year.

They released it that weekend because with nothing else coming out of significance this last weekend, the numbers and number one status looks good on paper ads and commercials.

I feel the film will be in and out of theaters.

bhays
09-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Still, hard to argue with the numbers. $31 million, all time labor day weekend box office record, on a $15 million budget...100% profit opening weekend. That's quite a bit better than another little horror movie the studio had no faith in and released on Labor Day weekend in 1999, maybe you've heard of it: "The Sixth Sense".

Most horror flicks fall off rapidly at the box office, then perform well on video release.

Finer points of film making aside, this movie made good money and revived a horror genre that most major studios had written off since Hostel II. Zombie just signed a two film deal with Dimension, so it will be interesting to see if he can draw the same kind of numbers for the next one.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117971020.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Is he in the same league with Peter Jackson and John Carpenter, in my opinion, no. But he's good for the horror and haunted attraction business, and that makes him my favorite director right now ;)

MDKing
09-05-2007, 05:56 AM
I've seen The Frightners, but Peter Jackson is not known more for that movie as he is his masterpieces and that's why he is so in demand right now. I highly doubt Zombie will create anything that's widely considered a masterpiece, as he hasn't so far that's for sure.

Also, the fact that it made 30mil+ doesn't mean much. Like Jonathan said it was released on a slow weekend up against nothing great. Maybe when Zombie makes another Halloween, or any movie for that matter, and has his friends and wife act in it yet again everyone then will see that Zombie should stick to making good music and leave the movie making and storytelling to those with more talent...

lurker
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Bread and Circuses, my friends. Rome is falling.

A little negative classicism as it applies to modern horror films. Although I tend to agree with your view that modern horror has become rather pornographic, I don’t think it is a sign Rome is falling. I just think there is a need for every generation to produce something more vile than the generation before it. It is sort of like an on going gross out contest. Movies, as with other forms of entertainment and art, tend to be filtered by time, so that the true great works remain while every generation’s gross out attempts fall by the way side once their shock value wears off.
I still think there is good stuff being made. The real down side to the profane gross out remakes of previous works is that it takes money away from original projects that could be made by mainstream film companies, but I think that has always been part of Hollywood’s problem. They lack imagination, and the few imaginative projects they manage to come up with, they end up beating into the ground.

redcrowdesign
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow! for what I read in this thread this movie doesn't seem like something I'd like to go to see :( However, I have read LOTS of harsh reviews for nice movies, I mean, I saw this review about a japanese movie called "Premonition" and I must say: you wouldn't like to go to see it after reading that review. Then, months later, I was done with all the 'big studio' horror movies of my local blockbuster, so I started to rent the independent horror films and small studio movies. I found that one, I watched it and I must say that the reviewer was a complete moron, he got everything backwards and that's why he tought the movie sucked, the reviewer was mexican if you wonder, and for him it was all non-sense just because it was another culture's customs, so different from western civilization. I must say, the movie was very good in all aspects, and I missed it all those days just because I was blinded by a subjective review.
I gonna have to wait to see the movie before knowing if this review was justified or not, altho, I bet this movie will take fricking CENTURIES to get here, to mexico. So... I will be probably commenting it in a year or something LOL.

geoffgbeck
09-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Is it a masterpiece? No, but here is the most important question you have to ask yourself. Did plopping down $8.00 make you yurn for a feeling of the "good old days" back in 1978 when you were probably like 11 or 12 and the idea of a guy with a knife coming after you (living in the bubble of suburbia) scared the hell out of you? Or, did it make you (now in your 30s-after seeing aliens burst out of stomachs, or even watching HOUSE OF A THOUSAND CORPSES) wish for more violence? The answer to both of the questions if you were hoping to find a true "masterpiece" should be no. The reason is simple, no seguel (or sequel/remake) has ever been considered to be a masterpiece. And, yet we go to these movies anyways because we are desperate for something. Perhaps something that will wow us! But, here is the sad truth. We say "Oh, well, the violence was too much, or, they swore too much, or, it didn't have the same feel as the original." WE ARE HIPPOCRATES! We want our cake and we want to eat it too! The probable reality is that Rob Zombie-who was truly trying to take a classic horror story- and just re-tell it (his way) gets a lot of flack for making a movie (arguably extremely violent) that isn't what the audience expected. What did the audience expect? Rob Zombie has made two of the most successful horror movies of the last 5 years. That is why he was hired to make this movie. And if you or I was given a couple of million dollars we too would make a Halloween movie that pissed of a lot of fans as well. Why? Because you can't please everybody! If this movie was just another Rob Zombie film called SLUTS WHO GIVE BIRTH TO EVIL KNIFE HOLDING DEMON CHILDREN (like something he created for the "trailer" intermission section for GRIND HOUSE) then the public of today would love it. Yes, it would be violent, but it would fit today's marketplace. Again, we the audience are hippocrates because we expected a masterpiece from another installment in a very popular horror franchise, but somehow we hoped it would remind us of when we were twelve and less violent things scared us. Sorry, but that day is gone. We spent $8.00 on a movie that is entertaining (for today's standards). Rather than complain about it, maybe we should just do what WE do best, and go out a scare the hell out of people this season and try to control "our art form." Thanks for listening.

Geoff Beck
Acting/Makeup Coordinator
Morgan Manor, WI

redcrowdesign
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Dewd, you made an excelent point! I am not even going to discuss that, RESPECT 4 U!