PDA

View Full Version : Charity/Firefighter Haunt

dusty588
09-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Hi there. I am 17, and am part of a junior firefighter program. Basicly, the program teaches us about becoming a firefighter and paramedic. The fire departmant is 100% volunteer. So, now for my question. Next year (2008) I thought that the fire department adn junior firefighters could do a charity haunt to raise funds for the program, and the department. So how would I go about asking the leader of the program if they would be interested in doing a 2008 haunt? Also, what could we do for raising money for building the haunt. Are there any books out there that are strictly charity haunts? If any of you have any info, or suggestions, my ears are open! Thanks!
________
ipad games (http://macgame.org)

SomeThingInTheIce
09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Well, you should not have any trouble with the fire department thats for sure.lol. You may want to talk to Empress, she has run a chairty haunt.

Greg Chrise
09-01-2007, 03:39 PM
One of the ones I support is a volunteer fire fighter haunt.

Although this organization has done a charity fundraising haunt since 1983, I brought in an up to date haunt for them to use in 2005. Prior to that the entire haunt was condusted by stringing wires and putting up black plastic. Hence as the quality was low so was the draw of willing customers.

There are no books but a search of the web proves there are quite a few fire fighting organizations that do operate a seasonal fund raiser. And in the past few years I have found it is all about the community and businesses in the community are indeed willing to participate in both providing materials and advertising help.

I have no knowledge of the tax system in Canada but here, a vendor such as a lumber yard can donate so much money per year and this is a tax deductible contribution. Some will participate simply as they understand the importance of having a well funded fire fighting group in their town.

Pretty much you have a number of people and need to spread out the work of finding all the resources to put on an event for as little money as possible and the more modern the set up the better. Having a proffesional haunt in there obviously had more people attend than ever even though by many standards it is still a small event.

Basically they have a large probably 12,000 SF building and a third of that has the trucks and equipment removed and smashed into the remaining sections to have the event set up for a number of months. It sets up in September, operates in October and in November the haunt is stripped of props and used as a training center for fire rescue drills. We remove it in December.

The big hassle with any temporary haunt is the off season storage. Not all attempts to gather community support are successful so for years we paid monthly storage bills and only this year will it be going into a semi trailer on our lot that essencially is paid for and free from this point on.

Everything to do with the haunted house might be for fun and doesn not compansate anyone handsomely but coordinates all the fire fighters to work as a team. It also works as a tremendous know your community thing. Actually using the haunt structure as a rescue facitilty is a big bonus for them. The success of any of this has to do with the enthusiasm of the fire fighters there.

Some will refuse to participate as they think they are there to deal with the serious endevour of fighting fires and years later they will only then submit to how bringing in much needed funds makes things better.

It is pretty easy for such a thing to get on TV for free as every traffic accident or fire, the TV news crew shows up and interacts with the fire cheif to get the specifics of what happened there.

In our case the fire cheif had taken on the torch of putting on this event from the generations before him and when the fire hall board of directors seemed to oppose giving funds to facilitate such a thing in year two there seemed to be no more old dudes on the board of directors.

So first it is eveyone being willing to participate and not thinking you are some hired gun willing to provide millions of dollars worth of stuff to make them a Disney land attraction and that they themselves will need to do lots of work. Then it is canvasing the the community for things at donation or a little bit every year providers. Some times just getting a discount is enough on some items that are needed.

In addition to my haunt and the fire fighters already having a fund raiser, we have brought in a local resort staff that acts and helps decorate and puts on one big event with food, bands and what ever lunacy they can think of as well as getting the resorts members and residence to show up and buy a ticket.

The later brings in even more customers who know someone from the resort and are effectively word of mouth customers.

This year not only is there to be an indoor event but the fire fighters have spent all year transforming their outdoor woods area into a trail for the event.

Greg Chrise
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Is get a bunch of fire fighters to go as a group to any haunted house you can find just for something to do. When they see the lines, they will get the idea that such a thing makes money.

slash
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi there. I am 17, and am part of a junior firefighter program. Basicly, the program teaches us about becoming a firefighter and paramedic. The fire departmant is 100% volunteer. So, now for my question. Next year (2008) I thought that the fire department adn junior firefighters could do a charity haunt to raise funds for the program, and the department. So how would I go about asking the leader of the program if they would be interested in doing a 2008 haunt? Also, what could we do for raising money for building the haunt. Are there any books out there that are strictly charity haunts? If any of you have any info, or suggestions, my ears are open! Thanks!

Shut up Sparky. LOL, just kiddin', I'm from the blue side, so I couldn't resist.

As far as pitching the idea, see if you can get some videos, pictures, etc of different haunts. Get some statistics of how much $$ these things can make. I did a non-profit one before, we made $8,000 in two nights!

For fundraising, start selling stuff for other holidays. Have a yard sale at the FD, hold a demonstration and leave a donation box out (I went to a demonstration and the firefighters used theit boots as the donation boxes), and sell stuff at the local special events.

Also, look for some sponsors. Give some free ad space to the businesses on your tickets for the haunt, in exchange for their money. You could also do some cross promotion. (other people on here can explain marketing much better than me)

PM me if you have any more questions!

dusty588
09-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. I have done a charity haunt haunt before (2005), and we made $32,000 + in 5 days. So I have some experience as to how to build the maze layout, building some props. We used almost all plywood for the walls, covered in balck tarps/plastic. Any other comments are welcome.
________
roll a joint (http://howtorollajoint.net)

Greg Chrise
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I think it would be very simple to walk up to the leader and say could you use an extra $32,000?

Greg Chrise
09-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I think paint may cost slightly more with labor an all but, has a better look. I'm only 49 years old and could use $32,000 right about now.