PDA

View Full Version : How did you get the land or space you have ?

Devils Point
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Hello,
I am trying to start my first haunt and one of the major factors for me is land .So the questions is how many of you just bought land out right and build something or did you rent your property ? Second what would be the most cost effeicnt way in the long run, i heard some haunts got killed by the yearly rent .

Thanks

Jim Warfield
09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I talked to probably 120 to 140 people here in my hometown for about a year trying to find financing or a business partner.
I got Extremely discouraged many times.
I would lay down in bed for the night and say to heck with it! It will never happen!
The next morning , the sun would be bright, the day looking pretty and I would tell myself, "What the heck, give it one more day of asking."
(Of course begging for such support lays you wide open for criticism and your ego will also take some abuse)
I realised I was asking the wrong people.
I needed to be asking the people who did "something" that everyone else said was "Crazy", "Stupid", BUT it worked! Made them alot of money!
Not only will this person have the mind-set to believe it could work, but will also have the money to loan you!
My main backer flooded his cornfield in 1949, "Crazy! Nuts!"
It became a swimming , fishing lake, campground, later a restaurant, summer stock theater.......he is deceased but his business lives on, bigger and better than ever..the summer stock theater is the oldest continious operating one in Illiniois.

"Selling" my idea over and over all that first year was one of the hardest things I ever had to do...but I really wanted it and knew it could work.
I also made it work by doing all the work here myself, from the roof to the sewer line and everything inbetween I fixed, rebuilt everything...over 20 years.
I have ALOT of "Sweat-Equity" in my place.
Almost anything can "work", if you want to work hard at it.

Lord Barnabus
09-05-2007, 01:33 AM
The space around me was created by God or some other being of sorts. Though I am not in space, so I don't know if this qualifies as space around me. It's more like air, or carbon dioxide. There are also particles of dust, pet dander, micro organisms, and other things that occupy the space around me. In front there is a desk with a computer on it. Off to one side are shelving units with my HauntWorld videos on them, and to the other side is a wall. A few feet to the rear are the file cabinets which hold receipts for many years that I am required to keep in case I get audited down the road at some point in time. What comes to mind when I think of space......SPACE GHOST!! What a dumb-a$$ cartoon that was. It was cool when I was a little kid, but now I see it on Cartoon Network and I think to myself, "That is sooooo gay".

Lord Barnabus
09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
But really, we were lucky with our haunted house. The guy who was my business partner owned some land just a couple miles out of town, and he had a few buildings and garages on the property. So we were able to set up the haunt without having to pay rent.

I've seen others come to town in the past and rent a building to put on a haunt. I tried doing this one year, and every single realtor and landlord that I talked to, were not willing to rent me the building for a mere two months. They said they had to get a full year out of the place.

I'll be looking for a building to have the haunt in next year, and plan on trying to get a realtor or owner of a property lined up ahead of time. I will see if they are willing to rent the property for a couple of months, if they so happen to have a property sitting empty.

It's been one of those days....What the heck are we talking about?

MMManiac
09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
we drove around for 4 years looking for houses and buildings for rent. Finally we stumbled upon a building that was once used as a haunted house and was now empty for 8 years. We did some checking via the internet and found out who owned it. One phone call later and it was us for a very low low price. I guess we lucked out!

My best advice is to talk to people. This year we told all our volunteers to write down any "connections" they might have with people. It was unbelieve what we came up with. Now we get free print materials, fre graphic design work, free wood. Its great!

Nightmaretony
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
2 acre farm, been looking for round 2 years, saw about 30 places but this one, fell in love with it...

Devils Point
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys for the info , so how many acres would i need ? I want to get a warehouse buit and add on later to it ,plus i would need room for parking so i was thinking 15-20 maybe .

Jim Warfield
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
"Parking for 15 to 20?" Sounds kind of slim, like an under estimate for what the business might be like during prime time.
Maybe you may only have limited parking but it sure is nice to have some readily available extra spaces like a city parking lot nearby or a field you can rent or use for this, just in case.
I don't own the parking lots around my house, the city does, I like it this way.
What if a bus or two showed up? There would go All of your 15 spaces!

Devils Point
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
hahah I ment 15-20 acres