PDA

View Full Version : Darkness Photos under lighting/Opening

drfrightner
09-11-2007, 01:44 AM
The Darkness and Creepyworld Open this Friday and Saturday. We welcome out all the haunted house owners and operators. We will be open every Friday and Saturday in September and Nightly October 5-31st and November 2 and 3.

We're just now starting to get all the lighting and sound working inside The Darkness.

I just uploaded some really awesome photos of The Darkness with lighting. I think everyone will really like these photos... start on this page and then click on the last page for more.

http://scarefest.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=4 (mhtml:{EF635B1C-3C5D-4B64-82DF-B83C7E82CF5F}mid://00000613/!x-usc:http://scarefest.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=4)

Things are really picking up for us... in mid-August my site was getting about 300 unique visits per day and now its up to about 1,000 per day and our ads don't even start until this Wed. Scarefest is busting at the seams with web traffic already ... I'm expecting that traffic to hit 2,000 unique visits by Friday. Last year we topped 18,000 in one day last year.

Check out the photos and let me know what you think.

I think you'll love that cave all lit up!!!

Larry

drfrightner
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey added some you tube videos kinda behind the scenes looks of our haunts... tell me what you think.

52BfoGTa6tghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52BfoGTa6tg

drfrightner
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
JC-SBAfnp7Ehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-SBAfnp7E

SpFXChic
09-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow, Larry! The haunt looks amazing! Parts of your cave make me want to go home and watch the Goonies. :)

dusty588
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
The haunt look awesome Larry. Is Raven's Manor a trailer haunt? ANd does halloween productions build haunts just like in the videos? If so, when I am ready to open one, I will be coming your way!
________
herbal vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/)

damon carson
09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Amazing footage Larry! Thankyou for that video sneek peek of the Darkness and Creepy World. As always you guys not only topped yourself from last year it looks like. You all more than outdid yourselves completely! It really all looks breath taking! I want to come up this weekend if I can get away and see both the same night! If not this weekend maybe next. But I have to come up and see them first hand!
Damon

MMManiac
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
awesome footage and design work. Cant wait to come check it out

Sean

drfrightner
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
The trailer haunt is something we could build from scratch. It would be a lot of work to build a trailer haunt from scratch nothing I would look forward to unless someone was paying an arm and a leg. LOL

The trailer haunt we bought we have totally gutted and rebuilt from scratch...it was a trash hole haunt when we got it and now its really something pretty cool.

Ravens Manor is a trailer haunted house.

Larry

UnDeRTaKer313
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
that could have been the greatest thing i have ever seen
WOW

UnDeRTaKer313
09-12-2007, 07:06 PM
it takes 1 hour to go through silo x, ! thats insane,

drfrightner
09-13-2007, 02:38 AM
It doesn't take one hour to go through SiloX but over one hour for the entire event...

Some haunts market themselves as these multi themed shows but their side attractions are very very small or nearly worthless.

I think you only hurt your event that way by putting out a bad product. We thought about adding a FIFTH attraction to Creepyworld for 2007 but ended up not doing it.

Here is the crazy thing... I bought one of those inflatable clown facades from Distortions and had about 40 art panels painted for a 3D Terror Visions and didn't do it. I've got over 10k invested in something I didn't install.

I just felt we didn't have time to do it RIGHT so we skipped it.

So now I have this Distortions facade just sitting in a corner somewhere not to be used...funny huh?

I wanted to GO ALL OUT on Creepyworld and I can tell you I've had anywhere from 2 people 15 people working on the place EVERY DAY for about 10 months.

Silo-X is about 30,000 square feet.

Ravens Manor is about 6,000 square feet

Cornfield is about 15,000 square feet

and

Tombstone Haunted Hayride is about 2 acres

And everything is themed to the bone. Its a big undertaking to be sure!

The Darkness downtown is about 17,000 square feet, and we're building the building bigger for 2008. The Darkness will be about 7,000 square feet bigger in 2008, with two more attractions: Terror Visions in 3D and a Horror Museum.

Larry

UnDeRTaKer313
09-13-2007, 04:44 AM
thats still unbelievable, i like your point about only doing a haunt if you do it right,
i would love to see some video of silo x during the night, i looks like it is insane

damon carson
09-13-2007, 08:21 AM
How are you making the Darkness larger? Is there an area that you dont use for the haunt? Or are you building on to the backside of the building? Just trying to figure all this out.?! It sounds awesome your adding Terror Visions and a horror museum. I have seen both in the past but Im sure they will both be bigger and better than before.
Damon

undertaker
09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Love the CGI effects. Especially the vampire one that morphs into looking like a picture. Very cool.

UnDeRTaKer313
09-13-2007, 02:44 PM
what music and sound effects are playing in the darkness video,
i really liked them,
thanks
also how close is the darkness or silxo x to being the largest haunt in the world/ how close is it to erebus.
17,000 square feet is ridiculously big, for an indoor haunt

undertaker
09-13-2007, 04:58 PM
what music and sound effects are playing in the darkness video,
i really liked them,
thanks
also how close is the darkness or silxo x to being the largest haunt in the world/ how close is it to erebus.
17,000 square feet is ridiculously big, for an indoor haunt

Silo X should be close because Erebus supposedly is a little over 30,000 sq ft although it's in a 100,000 sq ft building so they have room to expand.

Then again from the video, Silo X isn't totally a indoor haunt so i don't think it would qualify.

SomeThingInTheIce
09-13-2007, 05:21 PM
All that for $20.00 but wait theres more if you act now we will not tell people that you pissed your pants.lol. That is way wicked Larry I hate you even more, just kidding. A lot of work went into those haunts and it shows, I need to know, with all of that going on, how many people do you have to maintain it? I'm sure things must stop working now and again. Also now that you are open good luck and I hope you set attendance records.

William
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
How do you achieve the breath effect from the video? Can I get it purchased or custom made?

TheNightMare
09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Don't know what's up, maybe it's my computer but your photo page isn't showing up on my computer. I'll probably go try a friends computer tomorrow.

Saw the darkness video, very cool, loved the CGI effects from the guy reading the book to the vampire. Very Very Cool. Looks real nice.

Off to watch the other vid....be right back

CreepWorld Video:

Ravens Manor looks great, I like the cornfield, might be just me, but I was never a fan of hayrides, but your looks nice and Silo-X looks incredible(extremely bloody).

Boy, watching these vids makes me NOT want t wait til 2010 before I open. lol I also feel encouraged and discouraged at the same time.

drfrightner
09-14-2007, 12:31 AM
You can buy the CGI effects at www.hauntedhousesupplies.com (http://www.hauntedhousesupplies.com)

As for the rest of the comments...

The Darkness will be bigger next year. The foundation is already in for the building and the steel is ordered. I'm hoping they will be installing the steel within the next couple months. We will be making the Darkness about 7,000 square feet bigger bringing the total up to about 24,000 square feet.

Creepyworld is my new favorite haunt... I was out there today personally helping set up the new pumpkin patch we're building. It should be great.

Come out guys!!!

Larry

drfrightner
09-22-2007, 05:12 PM
For those interested I uploaded about 40 more photos of our haunts under cool lighting conditions. Typically these photos are on page three or four or whatever. Look for the photos with the least views.

larry

undertaker
09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
If i ever become rich and start a haunt, i know who i'm gonna call. You do such an awesome job.

Just curious i always see that you have alot of animations in the Darkness, but how many actors do you have?

Raycliff Manor
09-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I never cease to be amazed! Every year you raise the bar even higher! IN-FREAKIN-CREDIBLE!!! JUST AWESOME!!!

Kel

drfrightner
09-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Thanks Kelly... As for raising the bar, I don't see any other way to do it. Kelly I know you don't always understand how many mind works, heck not many people do LOL. As for my haunted houses I just don't like do anything second class, I'm always pushing the envelope because I just know no other way to do things.

Funny story... about 4 weeks before we opened I told my partner Jim that I hated two scenes inside the Darkness and just rip them out. I didn't think they cut the cake anymore so we just ripped them out and started from scratch. The cooler of the two scenes was an art Gallery which is SO FREAKIN AWESOME you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately as of right now I do not have any photos of this room. Even if I did take some photos you couldn't see how awesome the room is because the entire room is CGI...there is something like 8-10 CGI portraits moving in the room.

I was walking through Creepyworld tonight and making notes of everything that is WRONG... Jim said to me what in the hell man when you going to stop spending money, my response is when its right! LOL

I've already got some wicked idea's for next year!!! I hate running the haunts, I only like rebuilding them!!! Hehehhehe.

Larry

drfrightner
09-23-2007, 03:54 AM
The Darkness has about 100 animations inside. The Darkness has about 30 actors to run the actual haunted house. No more is needed. But on super busy nights we'll have as many as 35-40.

At Creepyworld we have between 55 to 65 actors because the place is so gigantic. We timed some girls tonights and it took them 1 hour and 18 minutes to make it from the first attraction until the got through the exit.

Creepyworld is MASSIVE!!!! Most haunted houses take 10 to 20 minutes to get through including The Darkness but Creepworld takes forever. I'm already starting to worry about parking because of how long we keep the customers on site.

Larry

drfrightner
09-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Just FYI...

I added something like 10 more Silo-X photos, 8 photos of our animated Ghoul Band, 5 or 6 new ones of Tombstone and I think thats it.

Check out the new Ghoul Band, I had Unit 70 sculpt these new silicone heads for me to replace the old and very horrible heads that use to be on the attraction. These new silicone heads are awesome and very gory!!!!

Larry

undertaker
09-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Any chance of you posting some clips of the Ghoul band in action?

UnDeRTaKer313
09-23-2007, 10:28 AM
i do feel the same, way, i love to build the haunts and create cool rooms, and animation and props, but i would rather do that than run a haunt any day.
I do love to see the looks on peoples faces it makes it all worth while so i feel i need to run the haunt to stay motivated.

damon carson
09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Larry I do have to say after going through your haunts weekend before last you have some amazing detail. But too bad alot of it is lost in the dark! I would really love to see the Darkness with lights on. Mainly because what you showed on the last hauntworld look completely different in person. And that is because of the lighting. I know customers like and want things dark but Ive got to see all this with the lights on! Its really spectacular!
Damon

drfrightner
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Damon,

We have added more lighting since you came... and we've got atleast another 100 man hours into both the Darkness and Creepyworld making things better.

It's never done the first weekend. We still have a list of things to do...

But we added a LOT of lighting to both Darkness and SiloX.

Come on back!

Larry

damon carson
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Alright man sounds AWESOME! I know how things go believe me. And with all that you guys have going its amazing how much you do get accomplished even by opening weekend! I will try to make it down that way again soon. I cant pass up an invite to my favorite haunts!
Thanks again!
Damon

screamshow
09-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Unreal how good these shows are Larry. You have accomplished something extraordinary.