PDA

View Full Version : Flames and more Flames

drfrightner
10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Starting this weekend at our Creepyworld location, our Tombstone Haunted Hayride will have FLAMES and MORE FLAMES!

We have finally installed flame machines, shooting balls of fire 20 feet into the air. I'm going to try and get some pics and upload them.

Has anyone else used flame machines?

Larry

MMManiac
10-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Does your insurance increase greatly due to the flames?
How does the fire marshal feel about them?

Sean

kpolley
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I can't comment on the insurance...that's Larry's deal...but the Fire Marshall has approved everything we're doing. We had to pour a concrete slab for the flame generator to sit on and we built a box around it to keep anyone from being able to touch it but other than that they didn't have much problem with it. It is outside, of course, and we made sure that it isn't near anything flamable like facades or old trees. It is a really cool effect and you can feel the heat when it goes off. I think it'll kick the hayride up a notch.

drfrightner
10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Kip is right the fire dept really had no problems with it. Now if it was inside I'm sure they'd not be happy. I was worried when I saw it go off because it goes up way into the air.

I think on windy nights I might not use it or play it by ear.

Its scary let me tell you!

Larry

Jim Warfield
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Now you can sell them those "Zepplin" Weinies on a stick, all cooked in a matter of seconds, make it dramatic.."10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, we have a lift off! Fire in the hole!" "Whoose!"
Just yell , "Oh the humanity, the humanity!" and of course don't allow that great massive Zeppling hot dog to crush a group of patrons as it would if it fell over on any of them.

...next comes the marshmelow man from GhostBusters!

Greg Chrise
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
A big burst of fire is hard to set anything on fire with. The wind will not make it travel, it will just make it not want to flame on. For many things to burn it has to have an open flame held there for many minutes to ignite. Getting things up to flashpoint. Unless there is a gas leak or the build up of gas where it shouldn't be.

I would like to know how much gas gets used. At Verdun Manor there were only two 250 gallon tanks and like 15 flame machines going off every 3 minutes everywhere. Somehow the ones up on the roof use a set of two 1956 air conditioning compressors to expand the gas into the chambers.

I never got to ask if the gas man came every day or what.

twohlgemuth
10-03-2007, 07:59 PM
We have a 35 foot tall flame tower in our haunted corn field. We designed this with the Fire Marshall during the summer a few years ago. Before we welded one joint we had him look up what safety devices he wanted us to use. The Flame tower lights up the farm and adds an incredible spooky feel to the enviroment. It's not really scary, but one hell of a cool effect that allows our creatures to jump out just after the flame goes off. The people are some what blinded by looking at it which makes a perfect time to scare them.

We made another flame effect that is an exploding Moon Shine Still. This effect is a perfect distraction on our Tram Ride. Just as this is going off our creatures climb on top of the Trams. The guest have no clue that they are being surrounded from above. Once the flames go out and there is a feeling of safety they are attacked from above and get one awesome scare.

Flames are a great effect, but I have seen some haunts that just hook up a propane tank and a lighter to set off a flame effect. This is going to kill someone! It goes without saying that you should consult your fire marshall and insure you are doing it in a safe way. There is also some vendors selling kits that take the guess work out of it. However, we like to make our own flame effects, just so our effects are not seen at other area haunts.

k67nc
10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
where did you get yours? and if anybody has links to the kits that would be great too I found some last year but when it came time to order. I couldn't find them again

jason
10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
where did you get yours? and if anybody has links to the kits that would be great too I found some last year but when it came time to order. I couldn't find them again

i second that question as well as asking do you have to have a special liscense to operate such an effect?

twohlgemuth
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
We built it ourselves with the guidlines from our Fire Marshall. I have seen fire effect kits at IAAPA. I don't have a name of a vendor, but I suggest going to IAAPA anyway to all haunters. You never know what you will find at the show.