PDA

View Full Version : What can we expect

hauntcamp
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
This is our first year and so far everything is going wonderful. We are getting 95% positive comments and consitantly hearing others claim that we are the best Haunt in the area. My question is attendance. With positive word of mouth I'm sure our numbers will go up these final two weeks but i'm not sure exactly what to expect. How do the last couple weeks of Oct typically compare to the first? 1.5 times the numbers? 2 times the numbers? or more? Last Saturday we had a wait as long as 2 hours but I have figured out how to streamline the wait and still give a go show so hopefully we can double our numbers without increasing the wait too much.

screamshow
10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Each week here is better than the last by a good margin. I pray this year maintains the tradition.

I suggest looking very hard at what you are doing in the show in order to streamline your operation. Six man groups every forty-five seconds gives you a throughput of 480 per hour. That's a lot of people for a new haunt, so if you are already running two hour waits then CONGRATULATIONS. But I suspect that you are not actually looking out your window at a thousand people.

Look over your show, remember that your group interval must ALWAYS exceed the longest single show event, train your actors to scare forward, redesign the layout to create spacing, then practice a bit even when slower and see what happens.

One final note... you WANT people waiting in your queue. That crowd is, in my opinion, one of the most important things you can do to ensure your success. That "everyone is doing it, it must be great" thing is extremely important.

hauntcamp
10-15-2007, 07:18 PM
You are right. We had just over 600 with that wait. However that night we were letting groups go through as is (Max of 6) rather than combining groups to make 6 and we were waiting 1.5 to 2 minutes inbetween groups to insure noone caught up with another group. Of course we found groups of 2 or 3 always caught up with the larger groups (Which is what caused us to go to a 2 minute wait.) This week we are going to try groups of 5 or 6 no less (So no smaller group should catch up with another) and 1 minute inbetween which right there should double our capacity. And we are reemphasizing scare forward to the actors. Thanks for the info it was great! Anyone else?

screamshow
10-16-2007, 02:26 AM
As a general rule, the darker it is the slower they move -- or perhaps you could say that the darker it is, the lower the maximum speed the fast ones hit. The easier they can see where to go, the quicker the speedsters will move, while the slow groups remain slow.

You can use this to control group spacing to a certain extent. You can also place trusted people to slow or even stop groups.

And this might be obvious, but remember that your group spacing can never be less than the duration of the slowest element in the show. If your "elevator to hell" takes three minutes and you want a one minute interval, you need at least three elevators.

hauntcamp
10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom on how groups move in the dark and group spacing. That helps a lot especially how the groups move in the dark for controlling pacing. Our mazes are very near pitch black. You can't see your hand in front of your face. So I've been thinking of having our maze scares keep the light on after the scare. Now maybe I'll do the same for the slow groups but keep it black for the faster. Speed up the slow, and maybe slightly slow down the fast. Our only lengthy scene (30 seconds) can be opened up as a walk through if need be. So following your theory we should be able to let a group through every 45 seconds.