PDA

View Full Version : Fog Chillers Question

Mr. Haunt
10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I have made myself a ground chiller and might be doing another. I also had a ground fogger as well.

What I wanted to know is if anyone has used dry ice in their ground foggers and fog chillers?

And dose dry ice work better?

I can get dry ice for free from work so I thought that I would ask!

Thanks,

Brian

Mr. Haunt
10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I still have this ground fogger, I made a typo! LOL

damon carson
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Dry ice produces a low lying fog to begin with. It used with water makes an awesome low lying effect. Used with a fog chiller would probably work better than ice with a fog machine or chiller. I think with the low lying fog machines they suggest dry ice. Dry ice is hard to keep. And you cant keep it in a refrigerator freezer. I havent even had luck with using a deep freeze. A place I used to purchase dry ice had a deep freeze line with thick florist styrofoam. Also if you transport it or before you are using it put it in a cooler. Stuff newspaper in the space to fill the rest of the cooler to fill up any air space left inside. Air is a big enemy of dry ice and will make it melt. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.
damon

michilson
10-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I have made 2 of these for around $25 A Piece

I used 3" PVC Piping from Lowes and a Cheap 30 Gal Plastic Storage Bin.

Use a knife to cut a hole in each end big enough for the piping. And hot glue the seams.

I used a 90 degree bend inside the bin and packed ice around this (Works well to produce low fog) actually at times climbed along the walls a vary eary effect.

Adding dry ice to the mix will help even more (i saw one on a website the site excapes me right now that had dry ice next to copper tubing)

it seems a bit of over kill and most people dont have access to it.
Ice is usually alot cheaper around 2.50 for a 5 lb bag or so at most gas stations and walmart usually!

robos99
10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Please keep in mind the safety concerns over dry ice. Don't try to store it, and especially don't transport it, in a air tight container. The dry ice will build up pressure until it explodes, and you don't want to be near a cooler when shards of plastic go flying. Use those cheap styrofoam containers. You'll likely need to start with a new supply daily as there's not really a good way to keep it that I know of.

Also don't handle it with your bare hands. It will cause frostbite. And I've heard that it tends to explode if left in the sun (haven't confirmed that one myself though). And remember, dry ice is liquid CO2. It's heavier than air and that's why it creeps along the ground. It looks great, but it can be potentially deadly if kept in an enclosed space. You do need a certain amount of ventillation. Of course if you're just using it to chill the fog itself, I don't think there's as much concern, but the dry ice will still be melting and thus giving off CO2 gas. It's best to play it safe.