PDA

View Full Version : Alleged Rape in a Haunted House...Read On

drfrightner
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/kmbc/20071023/lo_kmbc/14399692

This is a MAJOR haunted house...read on!

Larry

screamshow
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I am finding this story a bit hard to believe. I bet that the police do as well.

Ghost River Duck
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
True or not, NOTHING good can come from this.

screamshow
10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
True or not, NOTHING good can come from this.

Of course not. But I do think that the public has grown a bit more sceptical about these sorts of claims. Also, I think people recognize that bad guys can be anywhere -- including their work, the local McDonalds, their daycare, the bus, and even their homes. The only people who would use this story as an excuse not to visit a haunt weren't planning on going anyway.

Ghost River Duck
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Of course not. But I do think that the public has grown a bit more sceptical about these sorts of claims. Also, I think people recognize that bad guys can be anywhere -- including their work, the local McDonalds, their daycare, the bus, and even their homes. The only people who would use this story as an excuse not to visit a haunt weren't planning on going anyway.

I suppose I was stating the obvious but my point is we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that even if she is "making it up and this is no big deal" it still IS a big deal. If this story is getting much air play locally, guilty or not his bottom line is going to suck coming into this week, the gravy week of the whole season $$$.

slash
10-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Just what the industry needs...

dshaunt
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
What was she doing there on a sunday morning? I didnt think any haunt was open then.

HauntVentFX
10-23-2007, 07:54 PM
My first reaction is that if there is another competing haunted attraction (is there???) that someone from that haunt might have made this all up to give the other haunt bad press. There have been other mean spirited occurences at other haunts around the country (see other posts), so this is a possibility. In fact, I worked at one a few years back where the haunt I was associate with had a rivalry with another haunt up the road just a few miles away. In this case, reporting (an alledged) rape at a rival haunted attraction will most definitely give them bad press and could also cut into their profits at just the wrong time of the month.

And yes, the woman could have been visiting on a Sunday morning. Although many haunted attractions stop selling tickets by a specific time (let's say 10:00 pm), they usually stay open until the last person is through. In this case, the woman could have gone through at 1:00 am Sunday morning.

Frighteners Entertainment
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Definitely bad press any way sliced. What ever group that wants to jump on it will.
Enough crap like this will increase operating costs for everyone and make it harder to even open.

Are we circus pets??? Here you go Dumbo, jump now...good boy. But before we do the next act we need to have everyone in the audience sign this waiver first and yes our, attorney is here tonight to make sure everyone is signing on the correct line........ I wish i could end this as well as Jim, but I just don't have his style.

Mr. Haunt
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I find it hard to believe. I do not see how they can have any witnesses when she said that she was all by herself when she was assulted. I do not know about you but I don't understand it.

I just think it was some kind of stunt, but it might hurt that haunts business. Hard to say what to make of it.

Brian

drfrightner
10-24-2007, 12:23 AM
This is the WORST PR you could possibly get during the busiest part of your season. A few years ago the same haunts had a cop shot which hurt their business for TWO straight years.

Now this... the press will beat on this haunt all the way until Halloween and they'll bring up the cop being shot over and over again as well.

This could be a HUGE hit to their business even if it isn't true.

Larry

Jim Warfield
10-24-2007, 12:46 AM
I would think that she went to a haunt at any late or early hour with some other people she knew. What do they have to say ?
A woman alone at that hour?
Forensics evidence? The assailant's skin under her fingernails? His blood stains ?
Maybe she snuck back to have an encounter with a sexy pnuematic but the air was already turned off and she was frustrated, pnuematic men might leave latex "skin" under her nails?
Maybe she mistook a hissing air leak for rejection?
Wouldn't some news service be in huge trouble if they ran a story like this with nothing to back it up?
A local feud saw fiction attempted to be sold to a big newspaper as slanderous "Truth", it didn't work at all, they refused to print it.
My Dad WAs a work-a-holic, not powered by any drugs or booze..unless you consider chocolate a drug that could cause this?
Also, if a competitor haunt created this story to harm the guy down the block..this was Really stupid because it would moreso be like killing a bug on your head by hitting it with a hammer, many would not be mindfull enough to remember which haunt was the "offfender" so all would suffer the stigma, just some to a slightly lesser degree. The general public doesn't always remember names correctly, type of establishment is what they get in their mind.

drfrightner
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Here is another link to another story about it...

http://www.kctv5.com/news/14408168/detail.html?rss=kan&psp=news

damon carson
10-24-2007, 06:04 PM
This is a very unfortunate thing to happen! Plus very hard to believe! I have been through the Edge of Hell many times and grant it Im no attractive young female. But I just dont believe this really happened! Monty runs some top notch haunts and maybe Jim is right this girl was sent in there to cause some bad press. Maybe the competition is really desperate?! The truth will come out if she was really raped! There will be physical evidence. Its just really bad this happen and goes to show you it could happen to any haunt.
Damon

Matt Marich
10-24-2007, 06:17 PM
O.K. lets look at it this way, Monte and Amber both put on great haunts and are good people. I can only imagine the pain this is causing them, I wish them the best, truly.

But let's be carefull mocking this story, and I do meen this with the greatest respect to them, if this is true the assualt of anyone especially a sexual one, is serious business. We should not laugh or pre-judge either party.

I went through a Haunted House here in Phoenix around 1991 and as I turned to grab my girlfriends hand I saw she was cornered and being fondled around her breasts. That actor now has two teeth missing. Problem solved. I have no compassion for idiot actors and having run Haunts since 1988 I know how hard good help is to find. Please don't mock or degrade women with your comments, even if it's possibly another rugby team scenerio.

drfrightner
10-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Matt,

I agree with you. However I posted that story on the boards for a GOOD reason...this could happen to any haunt owner. It is dark in a haunted house. Do you get background checks on your actors? Do you have security cameras? Do you have people looking out for this stuff? Do you talk to your actors about this type of stuff? All of these things are important. Sometimes when stuff like this happens its a wake up call for everyone.

I hope everyone reads this stuff and thinks about it long and hard.

Larry

screamshow
10-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Matt,

I agree with you. However I posted that story on the boards for a GOOD reason...this could happen to any haunt owner. It is dark in a haunted house. Do you get background checks on your actors? Do you have security cameras? Do you have people looking out for this stuff? Do you talk to your actors about this type of stuff? All of these things are important. Sometimes when stuff like this happens its a wake up call for everyone.

I hope everyone reads this stuff and thinks about it long and hard.

Larry

Yes, it could happen to any haunt owner and at any time, and regardless of precautions. Nothing can stop someone from making a claim like this and no matter how fanciful the media will run it simply because it's different.

"Woman alleges rape in a McDonald's parking lot!" just doesn't have quite the same novelty level as "Woman Claims Haunt Monster Raped Her!"

Barry
11-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Update:

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/351761.html

Jim Warfield
11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
I hope someone happened to think if there was a rape that it could have been done by a customer lurking behind his tour.
It easy to lose track of the customer count unless a place very ridgidly counts and limits the size of every group, if they do groups?
Did this alleged incident affect the number of customers they saw after the news story broke? Or did it affect the attendance at all of the haunts local to that area?

damon carson
11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Its good to hear that this more than likely happened. I would hate to see this kinda crap bring down such a good haunted house. Edge of Hell is like the longest running haunt todate I believe. Over 30 plus years. I dont think anything is ever gonna come out of all this. If anything the girl should go to jail for fileing a false statement.
Damon

drfrightner
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Im sure this really HURT THEIR BUSINESS big time... something like this is unreal. If it turns out that the girl was not raped after lab tests, they should file a suit against her. Even if they don't get a dime it will get them a lot of PR to reverse the damage she has done.

Larry

screamshow
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Im sure this really HURT THEIR BUSINESS big time... something like this is unreal. If it turns out that the girl was not raped after lab tests, they should file a suit against her. Even if they don't get a dime it will get them a lot of PR to reverse the damage she has done.

Larry

I could easily be wrong, but aren't there national laws that "protect" women who make false accusations of this type? If I am correct she can make any claim that she likes, no matter how ridiculous, and no one can do a thing to her.

drfrightner
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Not that I know of... either way I would sue just for the PR to reverse the bad PR.

Larry

HauntedWebby
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
No it's a crime to make a faulse report.

You never know when or where an assult can happen. I'm not saying it's true, but if it can happen on a over packed subway train it can happed at a haunt.

Lord Barnabus
11-13-2007, 12:40 AM
A little off topic....

There is a haunted house here that is ran by the local zoo, and has been going for quite a few years. Last year, I went there with my wife (then fiance), and her 12-year-old brother. Being a haunt owner myself, I like to look at all the eye-candy in a room/scene. In one room with a casket, I was looking at something, and there were two actors in the room. One of the actors pushed me very hard and damn near knocked me off my feet (I have a bum leg and a bad back), so I shoved back. The other actor came from behind me and put both hands around my neck and started choking me, as he drug me across the room. He said "You're outta here", to which I replied "Good, let me the f*ck out now!!!!"

I went back to the ticket booth and complained to a guy who was running the booth, someone whom I've known for years, and have a lake cabbin next door to him. He would not do anything about it. So I went out to my car, called the Police Dept, and waited for an officer to arrive to take my complaint. After he took the complaint he said I could leave while he investigates the case. The following day I got a call from the detective, and the haunt had claimed that I asked it to be as scary as possible (which I never did), and they claim that they never did any such thing to me. In fact, they claimed that I started a fight with their staff (which I did not). They claim that all of their staff witnessed this event (even though there were only the two actors in the room). Ask my wife and her brother what their side of the story is. So anyways, the detective told me that he was not going to let me pursue this any further, cause if I did, than the employee who I hurt was going to file a case against me.

Now this goes to show why in my haunted house that I have rules and regulations set forth, so stupid things like this can never happen, or hopefully try to prevent them as much as possible. My staff is not allowed to touch the guests. My guests are not allowed to touch the actors or the props. We also have guides that either lead, follow, or do both with each tour group. Plus there is security staff that constantly walks around and through-out the tours at randem to see what is going on.

To this date, the only thing I have said to this guy is that he can F-off. If I see him at the lake, I flip him the bird everytime. As I said, this guy is no longer a good aquantance of mine. How dare he lie to the cops about what happened. And every single person who asks any of my volunteers about their haunted house, always hears about me experiences, and decides whether or not if they want to go there. Oh yeah, and the previous year when we went there, two people in our group got choked by hanging strings that were looped back up, cause they were too lazy to cut the ends. There is nothing like walking down a dark maze, through dangling strings that get caught around your neck, and you start freaking out cause you can't get the damn thing off as people are pushing you further in, choking you even more.

Some haunted houses just plain old suck.

Jim Warfield
11-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Do you know what those two do for a living? Do they sit around in bars waiting for the next brawl?
unfortunately alot of trust has to be had when hiring people to sneak around in the dark to scare paying customers. Some people cannot resist the temptation to get aggressive with strangers in a dark, fairly anonymous setting.
Adult-minded people have usually worked for many years to achieve "control" and predictability of their surrounding situations in life, this is the main reason that many adults do not care for "Haunted Houses", add to this feeling a random stupid physical attack, no matter how slight, this side of drawing blood and perminent injury, and there you have it in a nutty-nutshell.
Of course there are also those who enter a haunt looking for some smaller person to punch or kick.
How about an informal survey of haunters? The question is:"Do you know of ANYTIME a haunt worker got punched by someone smaller than themselves?
It seems to me these punchers seem to always attack the physically smallest person they can find, they may claim drunken influence later but they weren't drunk enough to go after someone their size or smaller because they wanted to not get abused in like fashion.
"Drunk" is not anything like a viable excuse in my opinion.

damon carson
11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
God thats F'Dup! Sounds like the sorry police in this town. Dont want to be bothered with writing a report and actually trying to find out who the real victim was! Man that pisses me off. You should have knock those idiots block off but then again im sure they caught you by surprise. Who the hell thinks there going to get assaulted in a haunt. I mean comeon! I would sue the whole outfit! And the damn police department.
Damon

Jim Warfield
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
But if the Police Dept. was sued and lost that would mean Barney would have to sell his one bullet, then what? No crime deterrant at all!
And Barney ain't going to keep the peace with his arm-wrestling skills!