PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol at Haunts

Mr. Haunt
10-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I was at a local haunt last night. I think you could call it a scream park at least that’s what it was set up to look like. I was surprised that they had a “club” type thing under a tent. I know big deal, but they were serving alcohol under this tent.

After learning from others on this forum drunks are something that you all have dealt with and want nothing to do with them at your haunts. I am sure the sales selling alcohol are through the roof, but being around a bunch of drunks at a scream park just was not fun. I would think it’s a big liability for the haunt owners as well.

There were so many people there. They had a hayride, a 25 room haunted house, and some old mobile homes with haunts in them. We only made it to the hayride. We stood in line for 2 hours for a 10 min. ride. That sucked, I had even heard they had 6 tractor/wagons going nonstop.

To into the larger haunt you had to get a special number to get called before you could go stand in line, which did not make any sense either.

I thought this might be a good topic to discuss and something to learn from.

Thanks

Brian

Jim Warfield
10-28-2007, 02:44 AM
If the haunt sold enough booze they might even make enough profit to pay all the extra security and numerous other drunk-caused problems, but then not keeping good employees who have to put up with the drunks may be looking for better employment may offset any real gains.
If someone thinks it's "fun" babysitting a bunch of drunks just be in the tavern business. A "Tavern" with alot of darkness and potential accellerated problems just doesn't sound like a fun nor easy job to work at.
Hayrides and drunks, what a combination. All the hay racks would have to have those rare full-cage designs, they are sort of like those shark cages for divers, kind of ruins the natural veiw of things.

HauntedWebby
10-28-2007, 02:03 PM
We have had more drunks this year then in past years. The nice thing is we haven't had any problems. We let them know that because they had been drinking our security would be following them.

One time it turned out pretty funny when the drink wanted our security to save him from the monster.

Most drunks are funny, only a few are problems. I think those people would be problems even without the booze.

Greg Chrise
10-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Nobody notices if all the actors and security are drinking too!

Jim Warfield
10-29-2007, 02:28 AM
No drunks til 10:30, then a huge bus pulled up !
"We have a reservation, we called." (No and No again)
The first inkling that we may be having a drunkie group was the woman waving a long-stemmed beer bottle at me at the ticket window accenting her words with her glass baton.
I opened the front door, stood there, looked at them in silence awhile, assessing their behavior and balance. Then I told them how it was going to be : too unsteady, out you go, bad behavior, out you go.
They came into the front room and fell/slumped onto my couch landing three bodies deep like helpless floundering fish.
"You can't sit like that you will break the furniture."
They fought me on this issue.
Everyone seemed loud, out of control, afew looked like fish, squirming half on the floor partially on a chair or couch.
Then one of these squirming fish-women placed herself in physical danger simply because her brain was in a fuzzy fog and was trying to be back in kindergarten.
This was enough for me! "Out you all go! I don't have to put up with this shit."
One irate drunk complained and I informed him that I was saving his life because if he might fall down in my house and splatting his brains all over .
We refunded their money as they were calling us every name in the book, getting extremely threatening and vulgar, I called the police. One man who seemed more sober than the rest was complaining to me and I asked him if he owned a business, would he like to have this room of people walk into his establishment?
He said, "I know most of these people."
"And?" They are all sloppy-stupid, roaring drunk.
They got quieter when two Police cars rolled up, some part of their good sense was not yet "pickled".
Before the Police arrived my wife had to endure being called alot of insulting vulgar names as they were screaming at the top of their volume.
Even if they could have gotten through here without serious problems, they still would have required so much time and attention from my helpers here that it would not have been worth it.
When I first started I would allow people almost as drunk as these people were into my house, babysit them for the next 3 hours, then always have some kind of unnecesarry mess to fix or clean up afterwards.
Like I told one of them,"I hope I have gotten smarter as I have gotten older and I could see absolutely No Good coming from them remaining as my customers once they showed me just how many were drunk and how drunk they were.

damon carson
10-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Alcohol and haunts are a bad combination. But unfortunately there are alot of people that are out drinking and decide to come to a haunt. The best thing is to use your judgement before you let them go through your haunt. Just like Jim did. Keep a pot of coffee going Jim! Keep up the good work man!
Damon

Warren Vanderdark
10-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Personally, I think any drunk who comes to a haunt should be made to walk at gunpoint through a hallway full of starving rottweilers with 10 pounds of ground beef shoved up their rectal orifice. Then, be made to crawl bare-ass naked across a field of broken beer bottles while a fine powder of margarita salt drifts down from overhead...

But hey, that's just me...

Mr. Haunt
10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I had a good idea that all of you would agree with me on the whole alcohol issue. I would never sell it at my own attraction thats for sure. The whole time I was in line for the hayride I counted 3 or 4 security persons and two actors working the hayride line of a heck of a lot of people.

Brian

Mr. Haunt
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
What does that last line say! LOL, I need some more caffeine. TYPO!

Brian

Mr. Haunt
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
What does that last line say! LOL, I need some more caffeine. TYPO!

Brian

SteveR
10-31-2007, 01:01 PM
'nuf said.

horrorfiend99
11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
There will always be patrons coming through haunts drunk or on some kind of drugs - there is really no way to stop it.

Why do people do this? Because it's fun. We should in no way condemn these folks who are just trying to have a good time.

That said, if the patrons are TOO drunk it may create problems throughout the haunt.

I was working in a maze in Universal's Halloween Horror Nights back in 2000. They served copious amounts of booze at the event back then and drunken guests were frequent. Most of them were no problem at all (in fact, the alcohol in their system makes it easier for them to suspend their disbelief and in turn, easier to scare) but there were a few accounts of such guests violently retaliating against the monsters (and even groping one!).

As far as serving alcohol at your haunt - this is very unadvisable for a small-scale operation. The liability costs and permits needed would almost certainly not be worth the returns. And if you are serving illegally, you can get in serious trouble and easily shut down.

When it comes to letting drunk guests into your haunt (presuming they became intoxicated before they arrived) you should just use the same discretion a bar would use. It is fairly easy to tell when someone is too far gone and they should definitely not be let in - both for their own safety and the safety of your haunt. However, if I was kinda drunk and getting all excited an dgeared-up to go through a haunt, I wouldn't want to be turned away.

Basically, as a haunt owner/operator it isn't your job to judge how other people have their fun. It is, however, your job to keep all involved safe.