PDA

View Full Version : Halloween and Mother Nature

Mr. Haunt
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Why is Mother Nature so cruel to us Minnesotans on Halloween? The weather has bee perfect for Halloween since last Friday, and today could come close to 70. But then tomorrow it is only going to be 50 and wind gusts up to 30.

It was cold and crappie the last couple of years for Halloween, we are over due for some good weather, and no 1991 snow blizzard either!

All of the wind makes it hard for me as a home haunter blowing all my stuff around. Fog, cobwebs, headstones, coffins, monsters………..Anti M. “A TWISTER A TWISTER”

I was so frustrated last year with the wind, I had thought about skipping Halloween all together! So keep your bones crossed that tomorrow is not so bad.

I thought I would also say: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Brian

Transfusion Tom
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Mother Nature has definitely had her way with us this year in Portland. At the beginning of the haunt, almost all the fencing was taken out by 40+ mph winds, then came the rain, and now comes the bitter cold. Serves me right for setting up in the PacWest, but gotta love it.

robos99
10-30-2007, 09:58 PM
It's just not halloween without the cold. Personally I'd find it rather strange to have weather in the 70's on halloween. But I'd also consider 50's to be great weather. And I live in Chicago. I'd think you being from Minnesota you'd consider 50's to be a sauna. Just like a foot of snow is nothing for you, whereas in places in the south an inch or so of snow is a national emergency.

I can see how wind would be a pain though. But I still think the weather will be remarkably good if it's not below 40 and not raining.

floater
10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it's been pretty nice these last few days, but tomorrow???
Anytime you do anything outdoors you're taking a chance. Indoor haunts do have a definte advantage there. Look at how dry it's been all summer, then Ol' Man Weather decides to make up for it with 3 weeks of steady rain. Some haunts shut down due to the wet.
Some years it's been bone-dry, raising the fire danger - had to put out 3 in one night myself.
Ah, the '91 blizzard! 30" overnight, watching the few hardy trick-or-treaters trying to make it up the walks! Couldn't take down my haunt props until April!
Having a HUGE haunt-themed float (60') in the Minneapolis Aquatennial in July of '02, taking the top award, then having the parade cancelled for the first time EVER due to lightning strikes on the IDS tower.
Weather can be a major hassle, but most days, it's actually pretty decent. Like with a lot of things, it's the crap that stands out! 50 degrees always feels cold heading down to it, but come next March, when it's on it's way back up, we'll be runnin' around in our shorts and t-shirts!!!

malicious_intents
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I know a haunt owner who used to have his haunt in the woods..... mother nature wasnt very nice to him either. Tree limbs falling onto the tarps and shacks, loosing electric due to wind, ice, trees, rain..... yeah mother nature makes it so hard to do what you love. ( BUT ) could you think of Halloween in any other way??? The weather seems to paint the background / backdrop of your haunt ....or atleast it does around here anyway. I LOVE it when its cold on Halloween....wind ?? HELL YEAH bring the wind.... rain.....etc.
I reside in Ohio it get nasty from time to time in October nothing like some of you in those northern states. Have your numbers suffered from the weather?

Jim Warfield
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Autum chils make wearing a costume more tolerable.
It is always so ironic when I would hire someone specifically to work outdoors, they were all enthusiastic,bragging about their high level of tolerance to the weather,"I have the right clothes", ex cetra..then they whine and quit before anyone else!!?
Words are SO Cheap.

SteveR
10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
And this year is no exception - it never fails. Woke up to snow today. Sigh...

damon carson
10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I wish it would snow here on Halloween just once! I would pour fake blood out everywhere and drag dead bloody props on the ground! Gosh it would be so much fun! Stobes look bad ass when its snowing too! Its like 70 here today! Nice Halloween weather! It will chill down to the 50's tonight.
Damon

Mr. Haunt
11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
If only we all had indoor space to use for our haunts or 70's as the temp for the day (DAMON) LOL! Lets just say I had to go to plan B for my home haunt.

Brian