PDA

View Full Version : clasutrophobia

UnDeRTaKer313
11-01-2007, 04:09 PM
well after the season, i notices of haunts were using the claustrophobia tunnels
what are some good ways to make people feel realy really clasutrphobic without making it dangerous,

i was thinking about just making the walls really close and making it a maze
but need some other ideas

woolf
11-04-2007, 06:09 AM
When I visited the Niles Scream Park this year I encountered the Oak Island Claustrophobia walls. Because I had just read about this new product on this board (I think) earlier that month I was excited to try it out and plunged my way into it......when I got about 5 feet in I completely panicked and made everyone behind me back up so I could get out. As it turns out, I actually suffer from claustrophobia (something I discovered just after I was locked into the ride capsule at Epcot's Mission: Space last October). I thought having knowledge about the product would lesson my fears but it didn't. I knew it couldn't be too long, but at the moment my brain was concerned that someone in front of me would stop and I would not be able to get out of it. Luckily for me this haunt offered an alternative path (a series of plastic drainage tubes hung very closely together to make the patron feel claustrophobic but not as much as the Oak Island product). I was so freaked out by the first experience I probably would not have been able to make it through the second option had my wife not been there to calm me down. I was almost in tears.

Because we were visiting different haunts every night for a week my brain continued to worry as I knew I was visiting two more haunt attractions after this one. What if I encountered the Oak Island Claustrophobia walls again and did not have an alternate route? Could I make it through without needing an ambulance on the other end? [That's probably a bit of an exaggeration but fear is illogical.]

When we got to Erubus the next night I was very apprehensive and almost decided to not go when entering the indoor cue line. It was dark and very fogged up and all my brain saw was a crush of people (like I said, fear is illogical). I convinced myself it would be okay...it was just a cue line, after all...and made it into the attraction. I am glad I did because it was very unique and we had a lot of fun. But, towards the end of the attraction the walls began to get narrower. We had entered what looked like a swamp and as we moved forward it got "deeper" and the walls got "puffy" and pushed into us. As I kept walking forward my heart beat stronger and stronger because I feared eventually we would be fully submerged into this thing. And now there was no other option. I had too many people behind me to try to reverse my direction and I had a couple of screaming girls in the group in front of me that liked to stop half way through things and refuse to go forward. I was beginning to panic again but it was still under control. But my wife could see it and shouted to them, "I if you don't keep moving forward he is going to trample you!!!" And I would have. This 300+ pound guy would have been like a bowling ball knocking down pins (Strike!).

UnDeRTaKer313
11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Nice, lol- now listen to this

I found out how clasutrophobic i was when i went to go see THunder OVer Lousiaville
ITs this really big festival/fireworks deisplay with air shows, really cool

Well my uncle was on the 20 floor of this building and buring this show the town is 1000 times buisier. When we got into the elevater we went up a floor and gained 10 people untill we were packed like sardines, Then another 10 people cam on. I Dont know why but i started freaking out, we ere so packed it was hard to breathe. I have no idea what they were thinking. I broke down in tear, (cut me Some slack i was 10). We finally got out of the elevator and i eventually calmed down.

I have been looking up the clasutrophobia walls and how they are made since the start o the season, i also looked up the buried alive scare.
I went to a haunted hosue that i go to evey year and its usually not very scary( then again haunted hosue rarely scare me at all). Well me and my friend hooked up with some girls in line and they started screaming before we got in the door and my arm was turning black and blue from the one holding on to me so hard. Well we got in and it wasnt a very good show, had a couple of good automatronic. We then came to the clasutrophobia walls, i never personallysaw then before. THeir was a big group infront of us. So i couldnt see how long it was. The girls thought it was really cool and so did my friend so all of them ran right in. I was thinking to myself- they want me to go through that. THe girl pulled me through and i started panicing. Wow i freaked out, i started yelling at everyone to hurry up, cursing and screaming- didnt cry this time at least. Wow then to make matters worse in the very middle, the actors starting pushing on the walls from the other side so the walls rocked back and forth. I was dieing. I have never been this scared in a haunted house. I mean i was messed up after i got out. Something interesting is that after this nothing else really scared me. Then they had the buried alive scene, and that didnt scare me as bad, because you could move around a little bit.

But since that insident i though, man if i can make a haunted house that scares me, even though i made it, i must be doing something right- what are some other phobias that alot of us have.

Jim Warfield
11-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Where does claustraphobia come from? A bad childhood experience or something more chemical? Inherited?
I know a young woman who was accidently locked inside an old refrigerator with her cat. The air began to get scarce and the cat paniced, clawing her, they found out where she was just in time...she's NOT claustraphobic even though she seems like she should be after what she went through.
When a customer here says they are "claustraphobic" I loudly say, "Oh, we cure that all the time here!"
"Please have a seat inside the refrigerator, here's your lap cat, see you in 5 minutes." (THE longest mere five minutes they would ever experience!)
I don't think I am claustraphobic but I don't like the idea of sharing a crawlspace with a live critter of any kind. I used to work in a lot of "wonderfull" crawlspaces too!

UnDeRTaKer313
11-04-2007, 04:00 PM
not a clue where it comes from.

Anybody got any good safe ways to make people clasutrophobic

woolf
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
As far as I know I was never claustrophobic until the moment the ride attendant shut and locked the door on the ride capsule for the Mission: Space ride at Epcot last October (I had just turned 42 years old a couple of months earlier). If you are unfamiliar with the Mission: Space ride, it is a very good rocket simulation of a trip to the planet Mars. So good that the fear caused by it indirectly caused the death of two people, in my opinion. [It is basically a flight simulator that is attached to a centrifuge (if you've been on a ride that makes you stick to the wall then you know the feeling).]

When the door is open 4 or 5 people get into a simulator that has lots of flight control buttons and a "window" for each passenger. When I got in I said to my wife, "Hey, there's a whole lot more room in here than I thought there would be," and then the panel that was about 2.5 feet away from my face moved to just inches away. "Oh my!" On this particular ride I didn't get claustrophobic. I suspect it was because I was too busy wondering if I made the wrong decision by choosing the intense version of the ride instead of the milder version (I have high blood pressure, which is under control...but hey, two people have DIED on this ride and the said not to ride it if you have high blood pressure! What was I thinking?).

I chose the intense version as I already knew what made the ride intense, spinning, and I have never had problems on spinning rides before...but hey, two people of DIED on this ride!

I love both Disney and amusement rides in general so I really wanted to get the full experience that the Disney Imagineers originally designed into it. I must admit that it was the best ride experience I have ever had. And my wife, who has always dreamed of going into space, was overjoyed with happiness. Part of what made it fun was that it was interactive. Each rider had a specific job to do and had to perform the action given to them at a specific time. For instance, the ride thrusts forward at the exact second one of the passengers pushes a warp speed (or something like that) button.

When my wife wanted to ride it again, later in the day, I decided to try the milder version to see how it was different...she stayed with the original extreme version. Now that I didn't have to worry about dieing, this was going to be really fun.....and then the ride attendant moved the front of the cockpit 3 inches in front of my face and shut the door. I hadn't notice the door being shut before...but this time it was all I noticed. I immediately started looking for the one button or switch out of the 50-60 on the dashboard that would tell attendant to stop the ride and let me out. Why don't they have that switch??? Okay, this time I really am going to die!!! My breathing got heavy and my heartbeat felt like it would cause my chest to burst open. It seemed that we just sat there for eternity. About 10 minutes later (I am sure it was just seconds in real time) the ride actually started and after the screen in front of me lit up I was able to temporarily forget that I was locked in a box by focusing on the story. Hmmm, the mild version was still pretty good. Then the ride ended and it felt like another 10 minute before the door was opened and I bolted from the ride area. I had never felt this type of strong claustrophobic fear before.

I thought it was odd and maybe just a fluke; but when we started talking about the Mission: Space on the long drive home I was flooded with the same feelings of dread I had on the ride. Once I even needed to pull over and get out of the car because I felts trapped in it. Since then I have sometimes had problems in theaters when full and other places where felt enclosed. When I needed to have an MRI done after injuring my back I made technicians stop after just a minute in the machine (maybe less) even though they called in a "open" MRI (they still put a large white wall 1-2 inches from your face). I was only able to complete it on a second visit after heavy sedation...which is a tip for those who need an MRI and enjoy heavy sedation.

It feels like the Disney ride triggered my claustrophobia in someway (is there a lawyer in the house?). But it seems absurd to me that it would come out of the blue for no reason at all. I hope it leaves the same way it came in.

Just know for now, at least, I will not get into the refrigerator...and I am allergic to cats! :-)

To change the conversation, sort of, what was the "buried alive scene" and how is it done in a haunt? Sounds interesting and horrifying at the same time.

darkscarecrow
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Woolf,

The Niles Scream Park was the first time I encountered that claustrophobia wall as well. I think it was in the "Field of Screams" part of the park. My girlfriend nearly panicked in that as well...she said she would have had to back up as well, but she was following me and figured it would be easier to just keep going forward. She was a little rattled afterwards though. It was a really good effect I thought, and I can see why people would panic in it. On a side note, what did you think of the other attractions at the scream park? I was really disappointed with the main haunted house and the other houses. They seemed to have a scarcity of actors, even in the main house, and those they did have were mostly not made up well or had poor timing, etc. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night...I know they usually get good reviews. Just curious to others thoughts of that park.

Jim Warfield
11-05-2007, 12:29 AM
My "season" is over here, but I did some tours today and found that I was abit punchy from it all I was making mistakes all over the place but using my own befuddlement to my advantage I used it to mis-direct customers so I could scare them much better!

woolf
11-23-2007, 02:38 AM
On a side note, what did you think of the other attractions at the The Niles Scream Park? I was really disappointed with the main haunted house and the other houses. They seemed to have a scarcity of actors, even in the main house, and those they did have were mostly not made up well or had poor timing, etc. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night...I know they usually get good reviews. Just curious to others thoughts of that park.

Overall I enjoyed the Niles Scream Park. However, I can understand how you might have felt. We were there the Saturday before Halloween. I was surprised when we entered their parking area as it looked like there were enough cars to fill a football stadium parking lot. Wow, they get a lot of people coming to their haunt.

Because the line to the main haunted house was long we went the other direction and entered to the maze first (Field of Screams with Maniac Maze). We spent way too long in the beginning section that seemed a bit like attending a run down YMCA camp and did not have any scares. The only thing the did cause our hearts to jump was whenever the thing in the middle of the maze emitted an extremely loud bang. It think it was something that built up enough charge until it released a lighting bolt inside it. It was so loud that I suspect it could actually cause hearing damage. Of course you know my reaction once I got to the claustrophobia walls. Then there was a bubble room and having to climb through a hearse. But not much more.

Next we went on the hydride which was very tame but I suspect that was the design. This was a family park so I believe they made the choice to make it humorous...kinda like the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland....but without the Hippos. There was one startle when we passed by one of the scenes where a dummy was thrown into the cart. Unfortunately for me it had rained earlier in the day and the dummy had mud allover it which spattered all over me when I caught it.

Our next stop was the main haunt. The facade was great. You are right in the fact that there were not a whole lot of actors to startle the patrons. This was mostly a mechanical show. Like you, we did notice some actors that were not very made up and even some not in costume. I think the Niles Scream Park uses all volunteer help from various charity organizations, which may account for some of this.

Nevertheless, we had a really good time that evening and were entertained.

The reason I made the long trek the Niles Scream Park was because I was curious about their method of having multiple paths through their haunt in order to allow larger numbers of people to go through the attraction without a "conga line." They essentially have certain points in the path that can lead to 2-3 different rooms (I am guessing). So, if room 1 has people in it and another group gets to the filter point, then the flow control person points people to room 2 and so on. I have no idea how may of these control points are as I really didn't notice this happening until near the end of the haunt. I think they advertise there are more than 100 possible paths through the attraction which can lead to additional tickets sales. A very interesting idea indeed.

The other two haunted houses were the same setup, I think, but with different themes.

The next night day we drove to Pontiac Michigan to visit the very unique Erebus. Once I got home I realized that the Realm of Darkness attraction was also in Pontiac and we missed our chance to visit it. I think the Realm of Darkness also employs the multiple paths method. If so, I would like to see how they operate.

Jim Warfield
11-23-2007, 06:56 AM
The "Paths" through my house used to cross-over one another which made for happy confusion as more young people get to meet one another socially (the reason some of them come here, I think)
Sometimes when returning patrons expess amazement about "Something new", that is actually one of the oldest things in the house (besides me) I wonder if they missed it because of crossing groups , or because a tour guide screwed up or they simply forgot it because of too much stimulation here?
..oh I forgot the other reason alcoholic amnesia.....

woolf
11-24-2007, 05:18 AM
The "Paths" through my house used to cross-over one another which made for happy confusion as more young people get to meet one another socially (the reason some of them come here, I think)
Sometimes when returning patrons express amazement about "Something new", that is actually one of the oldest things in the house (besides me) I wonder if they missed it because of crossing groups , or because a tour guide screwed up or they simply forgot it because of too much stimulation here?
..oh I forgot the other reason alcoholic amnesia.....

I wish we had been able to take an additional day to visit your attraction on our tour of haunts as it sounds like a must see from all of your posts (and from what others have said). The good news for us is you are operating all year so I promise to visit the next time I am anywhere within a 200 mile range!!!

But, as I said earlier, I refuse to sit in the refrigerator with a cat on my lap. Plus, I have seen the size of your cat on your web site and and don't think both of us would fit.

TheCareTaker
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
elivators are the one thing which stillmake me nervous as working in a high rise i was stuck do to what ever reason several times and i would just say ok no problem i can jus tgo throughthe hatch but then all those other people complaining is what gets it for me i just want to turn murder on them and then have losts of peace and quite.LOL

but there is one thing that got me in my life whenis was training for the ARMY Special Forces i had to go down this drian pipe which was barley wide enough for my big A@* with some gear onthe prob was that the pipe was about 14 feet long cut in half an welded together so it resembled a V then stuck in the ground so that the top 2 or so feet were the only thing exposed! no problem you say now lets get creative says the ARMY and fill the damned thing with water foru about three or so feet the only way to tke the obsticle waas to go in slide down then then rotate and crawl up. damn that freaaked me out it was all i could do to keep my mind from loosing it. but i can say i now have better control over other fears as they never have compared to that one.
so to sum it up bring the walls in on them or the cieling down or rise the florr up all with distractions and fear will be on and if you think you have abunch of mocho men send an actor in cloths with them and have the actor start freaking out pointing out al the what ifs.

The Care Taker
John

xxxdirk
11-24-2007, 11:18 AM
So you want to talk about some freaky stuff, how about extream scuba? I have never done it, but my instructor in Florida was telling me about some cave diving he has done. There are several caves that the only way of entering is through a vertical shaft, about 20 foot long by maybe 3' round. You have to take your tank off and hold it above your head as you decend down. Can you imagine? Not very much stuff freaks me out, but that might just do it.....

TheCareTaker
11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Sorry done it use to be a search and rescue diver and caves were not to bad cause i had air on me now let the air get low and then were talking but here is one for you try sky diving with no gear and a budy that had the gear all you had to do was get witht he budy yah ok i was smoking to much POT i was a little stupid when i was in the service to much testosterone and hard ons and not enough brains i would never even think about it now and dont talk about it to much. my favorite sport was free climmbing as an instructor in the service i would always teach the importance of having a rope a firm anchor point and belay person to assit but when i was out of class and not the teacher i would climb like a rat a dumb rat.
never again. the change in my life was wathcing a fellow climber fall from a high local and not being able to assist then the last thing which made me not reinlist was having to take anothers life and when you have to for life or death reasons take many others than well all i can say is love thy nieghbor untill they dont love you then just let it go and keep enjoying your life. things like this dont even get a rise out of me any more just make me think how lucky i am that i am still alive.

so freak show is over for now enjoy.and stay out of dark place cause i live in them all and may not want you there.LOL

The Care Taker
John

woolf
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Each year my office has a Halloween day where each department decorates their cubicles and we all compete for awards. There are 7 floors of offices doing this so it takes about 3 hours to tour all of them. My favorite theme this year was the department that did the sequel to "Snakes on a Plane." It was called "Sharks on a Bus." Very funny. But I digress....

Each year I try to get my department to do something that might have a bit of scare to it. One year we did an insane asylum where I was able to perform a bit of "psychic surgery" and shove my hand into a living guys chest cavity in front of people (they still don't know how I did it). Another year we did an Egyptian tomb with pop-up mummies and creatures hidden behind a scrim wall, and another we did a carnival. Not scary, but I got to run a sideshow of freaks where I did the classic carnival spider boy and headless woman illusions. This year it was decided to do Alice in Wonderland. Okay, that's not scary at all. I could have made it a creepy Alice in Wonderland but everyone wanted to be like the Disney movie. Oh well. They don't get Halloween, do they?

Normally I end up taking charge of everything and pushing my ideas on everyone but this time I was a bit more mellow and only took responsibility for creating the White Rabbit's hole that Alice falls down.. I decide it would be the perfect opportunity to try to build my own claustrophobia tunnel.

As some of you may remember from previous posts, I am claustrophobic and my personal experience with one of Oak Islands' Claustrophobia tunnels really freaked me out. I have been thinking about it since then. My wife doesn't understand it, but I like to try to face what scares me (in a controlled environment, of course). If I made one myself it would be less scary (for me at least)....but I digress...again...

I decided that I would use 3/4 inch PVC pipes as my framework and create two 10 foot long by 7 foot tall by 2.5 foot wide air bags made of a thick-ish black plastic I could by at Lowe's in 50 foot rolls. The bags would hang from the PVC frame that I built. I had planned on using two fans that are meant to blow up those holiday lawn things everyone seems to have now.

My first attempt failed miserably as I found it very hard to duct tape together giant cubes of plastic that were actually cubed-shaped. Once I got one together I tested out the fan and the plastic was too heavy to inflate. "Darn, Darn, Darn, " as Herman used to say.

I enlisted my wife's help in determining how much fabric I would need if I used the rip-stop fabric that those lawn bow-up things are made of and we headed off to the nearest fabric store to buy it....but then I realized I would need about $300 worth of fabric and I had already spent about $150 buck on the other stuff. And I still didn't know if it would work once I sewed the material together into bags. I should have just bought the actual product from Oak Island. Someone here suggested that I could have bought it without the fans for around $600. I'd have to figure out some way to make it work with the black plastic I already had.

On our way home I noticed a tire store had a giant inflatable tire in front of the store to attract customers. It attracted me but I only wanted to look at what was inflating it, not buy tires. When I got close to it I saw that they were using what looked like a carpet dryer to inflate the very heavy looking material (that was definitely not breathable). Hmmm, where can I get one of those?

Another trip to Lowe's and I notices they rented carpet blowers for around $18 dollars a day (or sold them for around $300). I rented one and went home and tried it out on my poor excuse of a plastic bag cube. It worked great. I returned the blower (I only needed it for the final day of the project) and got back to finishing the project.

I decided to scrap the poorly made bag I had and start over. I had purchased 4 10-foot long plastic things at Lowe's that are used for taping corners when drywalling. They have little holes in them and I though I could duct tape the strips to my big plastic bags and use shower curtain rings to attach the bags to the PVC frame I built. I draped a large piece of black plastic so that it covered the
frame and went down to the ground on both sides. Then I taped the plastic drywall strips to each top and bottom "corners". Once they were firmly attached I turned the large sheet of plastic over and hung it from each side of the tunnel frame so that I now had a roof and two sides (but under the frame instead of over it). Then I took two more sheets of black plastic and taped them so they hung down the middle of my tunnel. These were going to be the interior walls. I cut the sheets so the were long enough to create the interior walls and the bottom of by two plastic "cubes". I basically constructed kind of a Stonehenge piece out of black plastic except the two pillars were touching each other...if that makes sense. I then tapes up end-panels on one end so that I had all but one of the sides done for the two "pillow" walls. because I needed a way for the air to flow from one wall to the other (I only had one blower now) I cut a two-inch tall by 5-inc long hole in each of the interior walls and taped them together. Hopefully this would be big enough holes to allow the other side to fill up with air. After I created these holes (from the insides of the bags) I taped up the other end to create two bags. I then made a "tube" of plastic that would fit over the blower and attached the other end to one side of the big pillow monstrosity that I made.

The day before our Halloween event at work everyone stayed late to help decorate the office. I brought in the two big trees that I had made out of wood, chicken wire, burlap, Elmer's glue and paint to simulate the forest and also the stuff for the Claustrophobia tunnel. Everyone that stayed to help me was curious as to what I was trying to make. When we eventually got it all setup it was time to see if it would actually work. I turned on the blower and after about a minute both sides actually did fill up with air. Yeah!

And here it was. Time for me to enter my own claustrophobia tunnel and beat my fear. I pushed through one end and made it to about the middle and realized that the pressure was so strong that I could not get out. Damn! it worked too well. HELP! SOMEONE UNPLUG THE BLOWER!!!!!!

We decided to cut some breather holes in the bag to let out some of the pressure. I carefully taped a few squares, so the plastic would not continue to rip and cut out the holes. We turned on the blower and it was still too much pressure to get through. Someone mentioned that I had built a giant blood pressure cuff as that was exactly what it felt like from the inside. Cut more holes.....still too strong...cut more holes...still to strong. And someone notices that the 3/4-inch PVC pipes were kind of bulging too. We moved the frame up against the cubicle walls to give it more strength and cut a few more holes. But the holes really weren't helping enough. And because there was too much plastic near the feet, people might step on it and cause rips or trip. We decided we had to tape up the bottom to pull apart the two bags at the feet area so that people would step on the floor rather than plastic.

Then someone said maybe we should used string or twine to hold back the two walls enough for people to be able to have enough room to get through. I said that would ruin the effect. But we had no other ideas so I thought we should at least try it and see what happened. And that worked. People could now squeeze through and get the right effect I was going for. It looked odd but it worked.

Here is what it looked like:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/rdwoolf/2008%20Alice%20in%20Wonderland/05BASESTabHalloween200806.jpg

On the day of the even I stood at the front and made sure only one person entered at a time. We made it through about half of the company (after about 30 minutes) and someone snagged one of the side walls with their costume and created a rip. I was able to go into the tunnel and tape up most of the tear with duct tape. Actually we had so much pressure that there was still some holes inside but I taped it enough to work.

Everyone really liked it and was really surprised to see it in an office. And it did fit with the Alice in Wonderland theme. We won the award for best decoration (but not best overall). So I guess the judges were impressed. We lost out to a group that re-created a Hillbilly Wal*Mart in their department (they were good).

Here is a video of the tunnel:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrFB0m5-77U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrFB0m5-77U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IF I had to do it over again I would have used plywood walls to connect the puffy material to. This would mean I would not have to have made complete cubes and I would probably use a stronger material if it had to last as the plastic was too easily ripped.

I think I would also have made a triangle design rather than square cubes with the bottom being the open end and the top being the closed end...if that makes sense. That would eliminate the problem of too much material around the feet area.

Someday I will actually get to do a real haunt of my own and I will use this technique (or something similar) again and it was a fun sensation for the people going through it and allowed for a touch sensation without being touched by people.

Jim Warfield
11-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I couldn't tell if you conquered your claustraphobia but you certainly beat first-time failure and frustration.
Way to GO!!

Greg Chrise
11-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Claustraphobia.

Abnomal hightened fear of anyone named Clause?

dr.slickshill
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
We were honeymooning in Cancun, 15 years ago... scuba and diving rules are very lax there, to say the least. We opted for a same-day cruise to Isla Mueres to snorkel in the coral reef. I had never snorkeled before, and my wife coaxed me into trying it.

To get to the reef, you have to wade into the surf through a very narrow channel cut from the coral itself... one 3' wide path constituted both the entrance and exit for the snorkeling area, so throngs were pushing in both directions. A woman well ahead of us, sensing the rising water and the milling crowd forming around her completely lost it, and started screaming hysterically... she turned around and literally climbed over the bodies of the people behind her, including me, screaming the entire time, and losing her very stressed bikini top in the process. She was Italian, I believe, from the language as well as, um, other significant attributes...

Of course, any sense of perverse enjoyment by me from this would be rewarded not long after, when I was feeling brave enough to take a really deep look at the reef, and suddenly found myself face-to-face with a retreating moray eel whose home I had inadvertently invaded... I can still see his maw snapping shut right in front of my face before he disappeared back into his hole. I ascended very quickly, and never snorkeled again.

shawnc
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
A couple of people who have had MRI scans recently told me that they had the option of being knocked out first, and wish they had done it. They said the feeling of being in that little tube with no way to move even if there was somewhere to go was very disconcerting. It's probably much like the Buried Alive effect.

An MRI machine would probably be a good addition to a hospital/asylum haunt. It would kill throughput but you might be able to use it as an add-on, or to break up groups (eject the person out the other end of the machine, away from their friends) and freak them out.

shawnc
11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
BTW woolf, good job on the tunnel. What's really important is that you didn't give up or move on to other materials and found a way to make the original design work.

Greg Chrise
11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know where I can get pink plastic?

Jim Warfield
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
What kind of womb, er room are you making?

DarkTikiEntertainment
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Each year my office has a Halloween day where each department decorates their cubicles and we all compete for awards. There are 7 floors of offices doing this so it takes about 3 hours to tour all of them. My favorite theme this year was the department that did the sequel to "Snakes on a Plane." It was called "Sharks on a Bus." Very funny. But I digress....

I want to work at an office where they let you go "all out" like that for Halloween!! Nobody even wore a costume at mine this year.

James Lurgio
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I went through the Oak Island booth in Vegas and though it was very creative and effective, I'll never do that again. I didn't think I'd freak out but it seems very dangerous. I went through and not only do the walls come in but the ceiling comes down and you don't know that so you're trying to go through standing and walking when it won't let you. I finally figured out that I had to crawl! OMG! I thought I was gonna die! So there I was crawling and I got someones but in my face because I was crawling a bit fast. I won't go into an attraction if they have anything like this now.. I could be scared and startled all day but I hate THAT feeling!

James Lurgio
Nightmare Productions
www.nightmaregallery.com

tonguesandwich
11-26-2008, 03:31 AM
I had the 16 FT version 1 for my home haunt. That is the sides only. I also thought the version 2 with the ceiling coming down was way to dangerous. The only problem I had was getting people to go into it. I had a Xtreme Grudge on one side of them so many people lifted the tent and climbed a wall to get out of my haunt. We had to stage an actor to direct them to go into it and that solved the problem.

UnDeRTaKer313
11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
whats an extreme grudge?

Darkblood
11-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about 'Xtreme Creators' The Grudge animatronic...
There's a video of it at their website:

http://www.xtremecreators.com

I saw it at MHC this past year...very cool!
Hope this helps!

Kirk

Nightgore
11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
There's a 32ft. claustraphobia tunnel at Frightworld, it's the longest Oak Island has built! It was pretty amazing, seemed like it would never end! hahaha.. -Tyler

Greg Chrise
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I have been through two of these so far and all I can think of is what kind of diseases the last 8,000 smeared into this thing. That's what is reall scary.

I'm wondering how quick these things inflate? Could you have a long hallway that inflates and captures people? Then of course a team would pop out and wipe it down with moist towlets to remove the snot you squeezed out of the patrons.

It probably inflates quick enough but might knock people off center where they might fall over.

Jim Warfield
11-26-2008, 02:45 PM
The dead give away might be those bowling pin costumes everybody is required to put on.
The guy with the air valve switch competes against the record for knocking able bodied people down in one second.
Hiroshima still probably has the record.

Greg Chrise
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Yes, it would be very tough to beat Hiroshima on a tight budget, we'll just say it has been done.