PDA

View Full Version : Vendor issues and apology to Myron

Gore Galore
11-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Big year for the haunt industry and some vendors eyes were bigger than their stomachs. It was like a glutony of orders.

I have now spoken to alot of vendors and it seems this was a very good year for some, and almost too good for others because they didn't know how to say "NO". "We don't have the time to do it". "We don't want to take your order because I don't think we will be able to deliver it for you". Please give me your name and number and if we can get your order in we will call you back".

We use this technique and our customers seem to really appreciate our honesty. They didn't get mad. They usually thanked us. No, they weren't happy about not getting their order in, but atleast they weren't dissapointed when they didn't get their order.

I do have to send a public apology out to Myron St John. Sorry Myron we couldn't get your order done for you. We really tried. I am happy to say this is one of the only orders we didn't deliver on but that doesn't help Myron.

It almost seems like some vendors think their customers will be angry if they can't take their order. Yes, it is possible you may loose the order to another company but if you can't fill the order then what does it matter anyway.
Give a referral to someone who you support.

But we learned something. We have already started building an inventory based on the volume of orders this past season so we should be a bit more prepared this coming year.

But a couple things to consider

1. Always answer your phone or respond promptly to emails. I know how hard this is. I spent 6 hours 1 day on the phone. I thought the phone was sprouting tendrils and growing into my head.
2. Be as honest as possible with your customers.
3. build a call list you can call your customer back from later when you know your
schedule.
4. try to build a pre-production inventory. We can't just build an inventory of costumes yet. Can you imagine how much space our costumes would take up if we have 5 of each sitting around. But we are building an inventory of all the parts and partially assembling 5 of each costume.

TrueDungeon
11-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Great post, Kevin! Let's hope your advice is taken.

I said this in another post...but it bares repeating. Kevin has been great to work with in the past, and Gore Galore is run by someone who wants to make his customers happy.

screamshow
11-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Great post, Kevin! Let's hope your advice is taken.

I said this in another post...but it bares repeating. Kevin has been great to work with in the past, and Gore Galore is run by someone who wants to make his customers happy.

That's great to know!

Pyro
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Kevin was always one of the best drunk dancers at the Crown at TW also. Can't wait to see him in Vegas

xxxdirk
11-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Kev, your products and customer service is some of the best in the industry. Your Zombies were a real hit this year and were a great photo op for the press. We also featured your Zombies on our billboards.

Keep up the good work and hope to see you in Vegas!

Ron

GraveStalker
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
In the primary Industry I work in, I deal with large (some Fortune 500 companies) and in most cases, I have to extend credit to them. That is, I get paid 30 - 60 days after I supply product and Invoice them. It's my responsibilty to ensure that who I extend credit to is worthy. If I don't take the order, then someone else will.

Given my experience with most vendors in the Haunt Industry this seems more appropriate than extending money to them in advance. Where else can you pre-pay for something and hope in six months to get your order? This should be a wake up call to vendors in this industry. As the industry grows, the door is wide open to competition especially those smart enough to know how to run a business properly. In particular, deliver on-time with a quality product , not to mention after the sale support! I can not believe the number of big animations I saw at some of this year's attractions that were not working!

If I was placing over 5K worth of business to a single vendor, I would attempt to acquire credit and if it was not extended, then I would try another vendor. Worst case, I might consider a down payment, but that would be it.

Let me also say Gore Galore is not one of the companies I have had issue with. In fact, it has been the contrary. Thanks Kevin!

Gore Galore
11-03-2007, 07:20 AM
thanks for the opportunity to work with all of you.
It is easy to work with good people.

And yes, I am a hilarious drunk dancer.
So, stay out of my way or I just might dance right over you. On accident of course.
I just like to have fun with my friends.
And there are always tons of friends at the tradeshows.

Ron,
thanks for the opportunity to improve your dragon and for making some zombies for you.