PDA

View Full Version : Foggers/ need answers

SomeThingInTheIce
11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I ran my a$$ off trying to keep 8 foggers filled, only one is large the others are small and bought from Walmart. Inside the small ones there is a intake for the pump if I place a rubber hose on the end of that and put the other end into a larger reservoir, do you think the pump would be able to pump the fog juice.? I'm thinking that the those Walmart foggers are so cheap that the pump would not have it in it to pull the juice through the hose. Any ideas, I will get bigger foggers as these small ones burn up, I just can't see spending the money now when I have these. Thanks for any info.

Mr. Haunt
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Targets foggers are bigger and are standard size for small areas. I know what you are talking about though, those small foggers just don't cut it.

As for the pump, not sure, try and see what happens.

Brian

geckofx
11-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Party City offers LiteFX foggers that are pretty cheap, and pretty high output considering they are still cheap foggers. They have decent size tanks but in the end they are still pretty small.

If you are operating a number of foggers in a single area, say a large outdoor scene, or you are running them in many adjacent scenes inside it may be more worth your while to buy one big professional high output fogger, and then pipe it to the areas you want to fog up. Lamaitre makes some pretty good foggers, their "Show Fogger" is a reasonable price and dwarfs anything you can buy at a retail store. You could bong out most entire attractions with this unit alone. We put it in our air handler in a 10,000+ sqft building and within about two minutes you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. And the great thing about these pro foggers is that as long as you take care of them they will never die.

On the piping issue if you can get the reserve tank above the fogger you should create a psyphon effect within the tube there by relieving the stress on the pump. Just get the lowest point on a external tank above the top of the machine.

Freddie

Jim Warfield
11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
I once had a fogger with a built in timer, I thought this would make me able to limit and meter out how much juice I was using each night. Wrong!
One night it would run out half way through the night, the next time it would run two nights?
I'll just blame it on the Leper-Cons hiding in the woods.

Boo Crew Production
11-05-2007, 06:40 AM
When you buy new foggers, I would suggest buying larger units. That way you won't need as many units.

I use the American DJ 1200HD combined with Froggy's Fog "Swamp Juice". This combo creates a ton of fog. The 1200HD foggers also have hoses that go into the top of their jug and could potentially could be inserted right into a gal jug setting beside the unit.

Here is a link to the 1200HD
http://www.boocrewproduction.com/store/lighting/Fog%20Storm%201200HD.html

geckofx
11-05-2007, 06:56 AM
The better American DJ foggers also have a low fluid cutoff switch so the will not burn up the coils because you run out of fog. With the prices they sell for though you almost might as well make the jump up to a touring grade fogger.

Freddie

Empressnightshade
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
We needed a more powerful fogger so I went to Pro Sound Stage and Lighting company. A fogger with timer was my desire, but they did not have any of the cheaper ones in stock. I was therefore forced to purchase a much more expensive one put out by Martin. It's true you get what you pay for because this fog machine accompanied with good fog juice pumped so much thick fog that it completely covered a 25,000+ square foot building all on it's own in no time. We had to shut it off to give us and our customers a break. To keep from having to fill the tank several times in a night, we put the hose directly into the gallon jug.

My advice is, if you want to save yourself time, frustration and get the fog you desire, purchase a fog machine with higher wattage. Those from department stores aren't going to cut it.

geckofx
11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
The fogger you bought doesn't have a flow control on it. One of the nicer features of the really good foggers is that they have a flow control, an interval control, and a duration. Between these three you can dial it in to exactly the effect you are looking for. I'm telling you you will love it so much you'll start considering coughing up the $6000 it takes to get a hardcore LSG. That happened to us, twice.

Freddie

SomeThingInTheIce
11-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info, I will try the rubber hose and placing the tank higher then the unit. I don't want to spend more money untill these units are shot. Then I will pony up some money on the big boys. Thanks again.

UnDeRTaKer313
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah im getting the Fog Storm 1200HD next year, ive been looking at it, but didnt really consider it untill it was too close to hallowee.

Definetly getting it next year.
Ive never had a fogger that stayed on constantly. I cant wait.

If i run this constanty along with a cheaper 1000 watt fog machine. I figure thats all i need.

robos99
11-06-2007, 01:11 PM
You should be able to just put the intake hose into a larger container. I doubt a marginal extra length of hose will cause any problems. This is assuming your larger container will be near the fogger. If you want to do a more centralized fog system, that might be tough.

I'm with geckofx on the use of touring grade foggers. They're packed with a ton of features, can usually be DMX controlled, and have no duty cycle (as in they run all night). My personal favorite has been the Martin/Jem ZR247 hazer. It's called a hazer but you can use it as a fogger. It's halfway between the ultra cheap foggers and the big touring beasts, and can be had for less than a grand.

SomeThingInTheIce
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
You should be able to just put the intake hose into a larger container. I doubt a marginal extra length of hose will cause any problems. This is assuming your larger container will be near the fogger. If you want to do a more centralized fog system, that might be tough.

I'm with geckofx on the use of touring grade foggers. They're packed with a ton of features, can usually be DMX controlled, and have no duty cycle (as in they run all night). My personal favorite has been the Martin/Jem ZR247 hazer. It's called a hazer but you can use it as a fogger. It's halfway between the ultra cheap foggers and the big touring beasts, and can be had for less than a grand.
On these foggers the intake is in the tank on the bottom, no hose. There bad foggers $20.00 made to work one night. Walmart will save you money but you get what you pay for.

robos99
11-06-2007, 05:40 PM
On these foggers the intake is in the tank on the bottom, no hose. There bad foggers $20.00 made to work one night. Walmart will save you money but you get what you pay for.

Oh ok, didn't realize it was a fixed tank design. In that case you could create a siphon as geckofx was suggesting. But I think it might work too well...as in keep siphoning even when the tank level isn't low, until it overflows.

You're probably better off upgrading. You can upgrade slowly as you have the money. But keep in mind, one good fogger will easily replace 3 crappy ones in output.

You could also look into the use of dry ice for an effect. Although it doesn't have quite the effect fog has, personally I find it better (unless you're trying to light a rock concert). Dry ice is rather cheap, and you just dump it in some hot water and let it go. Some tubing and fans can distribute this to where you need it and keep the unit in a more centralized location.

You can't really "duct" fog from a fog machine too well, but it might be worth experimenting with.

Jim Warfield
11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
The fog machines that I have had responded very well to "Ducting".
Use 2 inch pvc pipe, the secret is to leave an air space from the end of the pipe to the fog machine this allows it to draw, hooking the pipe up close or tight it might not work at all.
I used to duct fog downward through 2inch pvc to a lower room very succesfully.
The last few feet of the pvc drill 3/4 inch holes along the pipe to evenly disperse it. Duct tape the end of the pipe closed.
You can hide the pvc by spray painting it camoflauge or burying it under loose dirt or grass and leaves.
Use as few pvc elbows as possible and try to use 45 degree els rather than 90's for better flow, don't glue any of it together , duct tape it instead, later you still have nice pipes to reuse and the pieces store smaller too.

geckofx
11-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Ducting is a tricky sort of thing and will take some experimentation depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish. For short runs you can just pipe directly off the fogger leaving a small gap between the nozzel and the inlet to the pipe so that you won't create a suction and inhibit the flow of the fog.

For longer runs, especially those with multiple outlets your best bet is to start adding fans in the system to pull the fog along. We have done this by creating small accumulator boxes with the fans on the outlet side of the box. Small computer fans work just fine, you can also find small ducted fans at Radio Shack. The other important thing to keep in mind is how to make an outlet part of the way down the line. You either want to use a 90 degree T or a 45 degree V. This way the fog won't be able to just slip past the opening, some of it will be forced out. You can control the flow at any given outlet by adding a bushing to reduce the pipe size.

So for example if you want to run fog to three separate rooms and you are using a beafy fogger. You will want your mainline to be a 3" pipe. You will want a fan before both T's and near the final outlet. Each outlet will have a 3" to 1" bushing on it. You don't have to glue any of the joints, Duct or Gaf tape will work perfectly well. And remember to start your fogger a good bit away from the first outlet, otherwise you will dump most of your fog there and not down the line. You need to try and establish a constant flow speed before you start breaking it up.

On a totally separate note.

One reason some of you might be getting crappy output from your foggers may be the type of fog juice you are using. The crappy stuff they sell at Wal-Mart and Party City has a very fast dissipation time. In other words it doesn't hang around very long. Sometimes this is a good thing, but it also means your fogger has to work much harder to maintain a certain level of foggyness. Guitar Center/Musicians Friend sells Black Label fog juice. This stuff hangs around for a good while and it's not to expensive. It's better for your fog machine as well. A number of other companies sell different grades of fog juice, some dissapate quickly, some slowly, and even the low lying stuff. Which if you have ever tried to make an LSG and failed, or it didn't work they way you wanted it to that very well may be why. The normal fog juice is not meant to be cooled and still maintain as fog, where this stuff is.

And lastly lets talk about cleaning your fog machines. The cheaper ones never tell you to do this for some reason. If you have ever noticed fog juice is a little oily to the touch and tends to dry really sticky. Well imagine how the coil inside your fogger feels right now after being drenched in that stuff all season. Coils getting gummed up from sitting for 11 months is one of the major reasons foggers die near the beginning of the season. Several companies sell fog cleaning fluid, which is great and all, but expensive. Instead you can just used distilled water. NOT regular water, the minerals and salts in it could seriously f up your coils, but distilled water. It's available at Wal-Mart for the clueless. So do your fogger a favor, dump out the remaining fog juice from this year, fill her tank up with distilled water and let it roar for a tank or two. You'll have nothing but cheers from the closet you keep these puppies in.

Freddie

robos99
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
So do your fogger a favor, dump out the remaining fog juice from this year, fill her tank up with distilled water and let it roar for a tank or two. You'll have nothing but cheers from the closet you keep these puppies in.

It would also be wise to run some regular fog juice through the machine after you're done cleaning it out. I've also seen recommendations to put a cheesecloth in front of the output as you're pumping through the distilled water to collect the dirt. Not really sure if it matters...the dirt would still be carried away from the coil regardless....but I figure Martin knows what they're talking about.

PhantomSW
12-08-2007, 08:26 PM
First: I own 12-14 Foggers (When I can Find them) . I'm Prop Master for ScreamWorks(.org).

My year end report:

1: new fogstorm 1200hd": $150
Started out great. Set the remote for 6 sec burst and 35 sec interval. Lasted 14 days till the low juice senser shut this unit down. I still need to pull apart and fix this.

1: used FogStorm 1700hd: age ? (cost new $300)
Used it 16 nights, Great!! Actor trigged, filled the outdoor seen 12' x 16' in 8-10 secs.

2: CHAUVET F-1250 (3-5 years old) ( new $119-$149)
Output: 10,000 cu. ft per minute.
Good solid units. Lost one remote on one unit. 21 nights.

1: CHAUVET F1700 (3-4 years old) (new $189-$249)
Output: 20,000 cfm
used 16 night. lot of fog, great price !!

1: Antari x300 Hazer: ( Used) ( New $299) (ebay $109)
Fine unit, 21 night.

1.: Antari Z1500. (Used) (new $499) (e-bay $160)
Output: 20,000+
used 16 nights.

1: 1200w CONTINUOUS & PULSE FOG MACHINE ($29 ebay)
Used 1/2 night. CRAP! still works just crap!

1: London Fogger $249
20,000 cpm
Lasted 4 hours..... (discountued unit) Oh well...

Chauvet:: Love them , good solid units, ez to clean the heating element.
Antari:: Are* Awesome *if you can find them on ebay for a good price.
Fogstorm:: If you need a fogger for a scare... these units will fire even when the reheat cycle started....BUT they are not ** Constant or Continuose**

Here is the Secret: **Cheaptlight.com**

M-17 fogger $188 (NEW) is a CHAUVET F1700
Mini-Haze $95... (I going try one this year)

and the Pro-Smoke is a Top grade Fog Juice. Triple Filtered !!!
24 gals $144..... w/Shipping $289? (CALIFORNIA) ,....still under $15 gal :)
This year we used 23 gals of Pro-smoke.

****Don't pay $1k for a Fogger!!!***....my $.02

* YES.. I did a small display showing some stuff from
www.Cheaptlight.com @ Haunt X.
I was not paid for this, just showing-off...

Phantom

SomeThingInTheIce
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

UnDeRTaKer313
09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
im briging this topic back, cause i liked how the fog machines were reviewed and priced. It made finding my fogger this year really easy.
i just bought a chauver f-1700 and should be here end of the week or beginning of next week. im excited.
has anyone used the chauvet f-1700, if soo was it a good choice on my part, and also will it be able to fill a 100 by 80 yard with a thick fog if i run it constantly?

SomeThingInTheIce
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
This is the firsr year with chavet, I got three f1250, these things are awsome. no more $20.00 crap foggers from walmart, those things are made to use on halloween night and then put into the trash. Let me know how the f1700 works out for you.

im briging this topic back, cause i liked how the fog machines were reviewed and priced. It made finding my fogger this year really easy.
i just bought a chauver f-1700 and should be here end of the week or beginning of next week. im excited.
has anyone used the chauvet f-1700, if soo was it a good choice on my part, and also will it be able to fill a 100 by 80 yard with a thick fog if i run it constantly?

SomeThingInTheIce
09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
This is the firsr year with chavet, I got three f1250, these things are awsome. no more $20.00 crap foggers from walmart, those things are made to use on halloween night and then put into the trash. Let me know how the f1700 works out for you.

UnDeRTaKer313
09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
oh yeah, ill be telling yall how it works, hope its amazing.. better be for 250 bucks lol

right now we have a crap load of foggers, i got a

chauvet small hurrican 700 watt.
Dino fogger 2 -1000 watt
1000 watt off brand
5 off brand 400 watts
soon to be chauvett 1700

creep house
09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I Have 4 Of The Chauvet F-1700 , That I Used Last Year......
They Worked Great For My Yard Haunt.............be Sure To Use A Quality Fog Juice!!!!!

And Most Important.......clean Them Very Good And Often!!
Read The Manual!!!

I Also Have A American Dj 1200 ...great Machine

Also A Martin 2000.......the Best I Own !!!

UnDeRTaKer313
09-16-2008, 04:45 PM
ok got f1700 today
works pretty good.
although it works around just as well as my 1000 watt does
really dissapointed that it is not constant though!.
what fog machine out there can you plug in warm up and it will constantly shoot out fog until its out of fluid. i could of sworn this chauvet did that, but it seems not to.
yeah quite dissapointed, not enough fog to fill my outdoor portion and not enough time to order new one =(