PDA

View Full Version : Fixing foam filled latex prop

SomeThingInTheIce
11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Need some help, I have a set of foam filled latex zombie kids from Distortions (Awsome props) and I put water lines through the backs of there heads (a little rubber line wuth a tip on the end) I set up a kill zone in the play ground and with one turn of a knob from back stage all three would spit on the tour group. It worked great but my neice and her friend who played as kids in the scene took it upon themselfs to turn the head on one the props so it would spray higher. This has made the latex come ungluded from the foam, it's not bad but will get worse if I don't do anything about it. What glue can I use that will not damage the foam or the latex but still have a good strong seal. Thanks up front for any info.

geckofx
11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
We had a scare factory prop rip itself to pieces this year. Big shock. It all started when one of the legs ripped off. We used great stuff with a good deal of success. Our patch lasted longer than the original piece did. Then the mount on the chest ripped out, both legs came off, and then the head fell off. Well we got almost a whole season out of it right. It did look killer before it was shredded.

Freddie

beardedbil
11-05-2007, 11:07 PM
A great "glue" to stick foam filled latex to foam filled latex, believe it or not is expanding foam. It is really your best bet at getting a nice bond between the two pieces. You can pick this up in a A/B mixture. Mix a small batch, work fast since it will foam up on you, and you should be good to go.
Bill

craigsrobotics
11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey Freddie....as always, great stuff to the rescue...that full-body flailer prop was cool when it held together...next year - torso flailer, maybe? LOL....

CraigD

damon carson
11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Liquid latex may bond it but you may have to use alot and it could get expensive? I can see where expanding foam would work. You would just have to work quick. Also if the latex on the outside has deteriorated any you can use cheesecloth and latex cut it to size. Put liquid latex over the top and then paint it to match. This is an awesome trick that Little Spider gave me to fix a few probs I had with some awesome props I had bought from them. It worked great! Hope you get your stuff back together man!
Damon

Lord Barnabus
11-13-2007, 12:49 AM
I used expanding foam to put the head back on a life-size prop that got busted. Then I used the same foam to reattach the hands on two Gravely props. Just put the foam on the piece that needs to be fixed, but not too much as the stuff expands quite a bit (unless you buy minimal expand). Then you need something to hold the pieces together for a time period while the foam dries.