PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Scarefactory... Rumor

drfrightner
11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
I know alot of people have been posting about Scarefactory lately, and while at the IAAPA show I heard even more people talk about Scarefactory. One of the things I did hear while at IAAPA is that Scarefactory is shooting a reality show for one of the Discovery Channel stations. The show will air in January. They have filmed 10 episodes and based on how that turns out it could continue or be cancelled.

I don't know the name of the show yet, but it will be like American Chopper, or something like that.

What do you think?

Larry

Jim Warfield
11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Larry, if you are saying or implying that they have been filming instead of turning out the products that their customers have ordered, then I sure hope the TV people paid them a whole lot of money to try and compensate them for the lost business and scuffs upon their reputation.

shawnc
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
if some irate customers show up during filming. It would certainly help the ratings.

The show itself could be good for the industry, but just the opposite could happen as well if all the problems they have been experiencing come out.

Those of you who are owed money/props better get there when the checks start coming in.

Greg Chrise
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
When Monster Garage and American Chopper came on the Discovery channel, I thought there would be a bunch of people that over night became a customizer or motorcycle mechanic. Generally the market was slowed as people lived vicariously through these episodes rather than doing.

The result might be if the production is good, that many are intrested but fewer will actually act on anything as they can see how skill and work is actually involved. Or money must be spent to make something.

Later, following the series, the real money for American Chopper came from signing autographs and selling T-shirts and for Monster Garage a line of die cast toy replicas of the vehicles and motorcycles.

So one might go to a big custom car show because these personalities were there but, that concept doesn't really cross over to haunting things? Come to Transworld for a Scarefactory T-shirt? Or buy the less than $30 signature prop? Or the $20 toy available at Walmart?

The American Chopper crew built a huge facility and did get some regular work from money earned from the series but it only helped THEM in a market that was normally thousands of dollars in customizing per bike rather than hundreds. When the lime light was on, those that really did quality customizing began to hide as the clientel who showed up newly intrested had low money, low imagination and were a waste of time. This would apply to building haunts or scenes or props.

Chances are it won't be widely popular and would have limited episodes. Sort of like back in the day, people would sit though a 2 hour "the making of special" with a few hundred commercial interruptions. Now a days this is the special feature on the DVD. Once exposed and explained the wonderment is over. Everyone has seen it so doing it isn't going to impress anyone unless it is top notch. Many who would otherwise would have tried to develop a skill quit before they start as the bar is kind of high? It only takes 2 hours of exposure and it isn't exciting anymore.

I might be out of touch or too smart. I went to a haunt setting up and was informed by a 20 something guy that they use bug spray bottles to distribute blood in the movies. He seemed excited about this knowledge and possible industry secret that everyone already knows.

TheNightMare
11-19-2007, 01:09 AM
I agree with Jim. Kinda sucks that they would rather make money and be on tv than to make and send out orders that their customers already paid for.

Jim Warfield
11-19-2007, 07:43 AM
From personal experience there will be little or no money coming from a cable tv production for the people standing in front of the camera.
Watching idiots throw tools and things at one another and have temper-tantrums has never been my idea of "entertainment", maybe this is what they were realling "selling", not skill or bikes. I always found it amazing that such behavior took place in a nice large shop-building ($) instead of an old leaning shed about to fall down in a back alley someplace, of course some of those shows showing people running welders and grinders with no safety glasses or shoes on probably set the kind of an example that helped take certain youngsters out of the "hands-on" working field. ("Look Ma! No hands!" or eyes...)
Any tee-shirt sold by those types should just have a large "DUH?" across it the front and back of it and have an asbestos-weave for the fabric.

neffuri27
11-19-2007, 08:10 AM
I have ALWAYS been able to get action out of Scarefactory, getting them to send our props on time or call back but now after getting the new updated controller for
the demon knight prop we found that it needs to be reprogramed to his movements
or the whole prop is JUST not working right and I cannot even get Wes Hilton to
respond on myspace. What a drag!!!!

A reality tv show huh? well the Reality is that without customers they are DONE
in the biz.

What could the reality show be about? Its not like they do that much custom
work is it? I know they do the Playboy Mansion's Halloween Party every year
for about four years or so but that could not be a whole show?

Kimmy

Old Tree Studios
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Having had a direct connection to a Discovery Channel reality show, I can confirm that yes, the "stars" make little or no money. In a successful show, the subject can reap tremendous financial benefit as long as the show is in production.

After production, however, the fickle American viewing audience quickly loses interest. And I agree that an extremely specialized maket, like Scarefactory's, might have little to gain from the exposure.

HOWEVER, (and this is where ears should perk up) if you, like we, are courting the almightly Corporate Sponsorship, we have a lot to gain.

The haunt industry already enjoys being in the position of aiming its double-barrelled marketing shotgun right down the nose of the coveted target demographic of 18-34.

Even a marginal hit from a show like this could go a long way to "legitimize" the industry to the folks in the marketing world who are always seeking to sell bottled water, cell phones, and Cooper Mini's to the youth masses.

If, through a hit reality show, these power-tie wearing execs can be excited about public interest, it can only make it easier for us to get our foot in their seemingly titanium doors.

So as Mr. Haunt so eloquently put it in another post, let's all "cross our bones" and hope for a hit!

drfrightner
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Mike,

Very nicely put...

I would have to agree that Scarefactory would have VERY little to gain but such a show, most of the customers they could hope to gain from this show they already have. If this show distracts them from filling orders that will only backfire on their core business in my opinion. American Chopper is a different story because everyone would like to own a Chopper, but not everyone wants a scary zombie in their front yard.

The focus should be on the customers not a televsion show...

However I will say that if this show comes out this could help the haunt industry with more exposure to the public. The haunt industry is hitting numbers right now no one thought possible. So a TV show about someone who makes scary monsters should be a good thing for the haunt industry, unless it inspires more people to open haunts, which we don't need or want.

I've said this before and will say it again... some people think a haunted house is a bunch of 'Scarefactory' type props and that is what they buy and fill their house up with. I've heard a lot of people say for example on Midwest Haunt Tours that Ghostly Manor had a lot of Scarefactory props, which made up most of the rooms. Does that make a good haunted house because you go out and buy a bunch of stuff and makes whole entire rooms around the prop? Not in my opinion...

Some people might think that is what you do just buy a bunch of animations and open the doors... we all know that is NOT the case at ALL!

SO there could be some good and some bad from a show like this...

But overall I think having more Americans exposed to the haunt industry through a show like this will only help the industry. So lets hope the show is fun, entertaining, and puts our industry in a good light.

Reality TV and Documentaries have come into our industry and they're only helping.

Kudos to Scarefactory and good luck!

Larry

damon carson
11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I would watch it. Everyone on this board would watch it. But not everybody or the average joe is gonna watch it. Maybe someone into horror, or gothic etc may watch it. I agree it would be good for the industry. But I see it short lived unfortunately.
Damon

Tater
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Its not the Discovery channel...Its the History channel...and they taped an episode here at my familys Orchard.

Old Tree Studios
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
The thing about reality shows is that the subject matter initially draws viewers in. But it is the relationships of the "characters" that make a show live or die.

American Chopper is a good example. Not a fan of choppers by any measure... however... the completely dysfunctional relationships are compelling. If I stumble across it... I'll watch it, though I couldn't possibly have less interest in motorcycles.

I think there was one particularly sad evening for me that I might have watched a AC marathon for I don't want to say how many episodes. (I could only tell you folks that.... please don't share this information.)

Conversely, the Discovery Channel's "The Little Zoo that Could." Compelling subject matter, but the people involved quite simply weren't interesting enough to hook a large audience. Great people, just not dysfunctional enough to be interesting.

So the folks at Scarefactory do in fact have a shot. The need to do 3 things:
1. Be very odd.
2. Bicker as often as is possible or plausible.
3. Be hot.

Those 3 elements will bring a hit. Seriously, it's that simple. (sort of)

Mike

Greg Chrise
11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm being hot right now!

Old Tree Studios
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Greg,

I have enjoyed reading your posts, but that has to be the shortest one you've ever done. Kind of the "Jesus wept." of the Greg Chrise posting canon.

Mike

Jim Warfield
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Jesus might show up anywhere (this makes him scary?!)
When a young man was terrified here and ended up flat on his back, he said (thinking that he was alone in the room).."JESUS!"
I leaned over him in the dark and said, "I ... am... not... Jesus!"
Stated plainly in a very deep, often raspy voice.
When I tell people about this they usually laugh and mentally put themselves in his position of helpless, in the dark ....then I pause and add: "still not." (Jesus)

That young man returned several times , bringing his girlfriend and another time his parents .

Tater
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Lets see if i can shed alil bit of light on this subject again. The shows name i belive is called The Chamber, When i talked to david it seemed like they are recreating Torture things from the old days. The one they did at the farm was a Dunking chair where they would dunk the person in the pond on a cold day to get information outta them. This also served public humilation. In the episode they have a guy dress like a women to dunk her into the pond.

drfrightner
11-19-2007, 09:59 PM
The History Channel... huh?

From what was described to me it wasn't going to be on History Channel. I don't think many people watch that channel and if what you're saying is the case I don't think it will bring much fame to our industry. I don't think many people who are intersted in haunts watch the History Channel. If the show was going to be on TLC or Discovery or something like that it would be great!

Hmmm... I'm sure it will be fun but still not what I was expecting.

LIke others said I wonder if this just doesn't distract you from filling orders and dealing with customers. Hmmm...

I was hoping for something on TLC or something. Oh well... still kudos to SF!

I'm sure I'll watch the show sounds fun!

Larry

Greg Chrise
11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I almost did my shortest post ever last night. I read someone asking if someone could donate some walls. My response was going to read.........

NO

But, now I'm going to have to type in every curse word I ever heard until I see what Jesus Wept is?