PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone have a Celeb this year???

drfrightner
12-19-2007, 04:51 AM
I skipped on having one this year, and it didn't seem to affect my business at all.

I'm actually thinking that they don't mean much, that most people just want a good haunted house.

On the other hand they're great for early in the season to build up awareness and PR.

Did anyone have one this year?

Larry

lurker
12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
We experimented with “celebrity” this year. Granted, it was a B….no, it was a C…..well, more like a D celebrity. We had Mr. Conrad Brooks at our haunt for two nights this season. Who is Conrad brooks, you may ask. Mr. Brooks is one of Ed Wood Jr.’s regulars. He was in ‘Plan 9 From Outer Space’, ‘Glen or Glenda', and ‘Night of the Ghouls’ among others. He has been in over 500 movies, and most of them of equal stature as the ones listed. And, at the age of 76 he is still writing, producing and acting in really bad B movies. If you haven’t seen ‘JAN-GEL, The Beast From The East’, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Having him there did bring in a few extra people, and it did garnish us a little more pr. Over all it was worth it, but due mainly because he came at good price.
Also, Mr. Brooks was so impressed with our haunt’s sets that he will be filming part of his next stellar production at DarkWood Manor. We have hit the big time! lol

TheKeeper
12-20-2007, 04:28 PM
We had a rap star (Hurricane Chris) come to sign autographs through one of our radio stations. I had to google him to see who he was. It was his only stop while touring through Northern Cali. After all the signing, his entourage and himself were supposed to go through our haunts but he chickened out after seeing people come out screaming. Surprisenly, our draw that night for the haunt was bigger than the draw that came to see him.

Gravely
12-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I still think they do well for large multi haunt events.
They are like an additional haunt. They keep people in THAT line, and out of the actual haunt lines.

After 12 years we tried it again this year.
We had Alex Vincent , who played the kid in the childsplay movies. What a nice guy.
pleasant as you could ever expect. Not drunk or rude to anyone.
But he didn't draw anyone to the haunt just because he was here

We had to have a cast member stop each group exiting just to make sure they knew who he was, and many had a great time meeting him.
I recomemnd big shows keep him on thier list, but I am now sure that celebrities won't do much for smaller haunts.
Halloween weekend, Elmya the hearsechick, who many of you all know from Conventions was here. just to come play and hang out with us.
well, she got as much attention as any actual celebrity we've ever had

Jim Warfield
12-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I think the best celebrity any haunt, large or small can have is an active celebrity in the form of an on-air , very popular DJ.
DJ's who are impressed with your actual show, that is, honesty never hurts when broadacasting.
I was the advertising beneficiery of such a thing for several years whereas EVERYBODY listened to Dwyers & Micheals broadcast from the Quasimoto Cities just 65 miles away from here, two very funny, original guys who already had a massive audience, I was to discover after the first time they just mentioned The Ravens Grin Inn.
The second time they came here it was snowing when they exited the big skull mouth and the TV station filmed their reaction to this and played it as a special effect!
So Real! So Wet! Filling the whole sky too!??

Mike Bizub
12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
The show we worked for had Alice Cooper for opening night. He was absolutely fantastic to all the guests. He took his time talking to them and then signed whatever they brought. I really dont think he brought in the numbers they hoping for though. Mike

Slain
12-31-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't see having a celebrity at a back yard haunt to draw people, but if you have an established haunt they are great..Very expensive but great!!
How many haunters out there can say they had breakfast with Freddy Kruger or lunch with Pinhead. Our group has done just that. I have gone to the drive thru with Pluto (Hills Have Eyes) Have chowed down pizza at 2am with Leatherface...
These guys and gals get big time notice to your haunt to get that draw you need... We are in our 6th year and have had 8 celebrities so far and are planing for one every weekend this year..
. So.....if you've got the bucks this is a great spend to impress the masses....