PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone build one of these?

drfrightner
12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Does anyone think they could build one of these???

www.fogscreen.com (http://www.fogscreen.com)

They want crazy money for these things like $80,000.00 or more.

I think we could build one but has anyone tried?

Larry

HauntedWebby
12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm sure if they did, someone here could figure it out :)

I'm thinking it's cooled fog in a air stream.

Midnight13
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I asked about that fog screen also at IAAPA. Couldn't believe the price they wanted for it.

It did not use fog juice, strictly a water-based system much like the mister fog you see at zoos but cooled down.

Dwayne
13th Gate

lurker
12-19-2007, 05:20 PM
$80,000? They have come down about $20,000 since I first saw them.
This topic was discussed many months back on one of the technical forums, and no one came up with an answer on how to make one of these, if I remember correctly. One of these would be perfect for the theme we are doing next year.

HauntedWebby
12-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I asked about that fog screen also at IAAPA. Couldn't believe the price they wanted for it.

It did not use fog juice, strictly a water-based system much like the mister fog you see at zoos but cooled down.

Dwayne
13th Gate

So a focused hazer. I can see that for short distance. How tall is one of these walls.

Matt Marich
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Larry, we experimented with this a couple years ago using Laminer Flow nozzle technology. The problem was that we were using air to force the fog out from the jets. It used a compressor constantly and fell off at about 4 feet and disipated. There are devices that we have yet to try and I will discuss options with you if you want. Either way, this method would require a large fog unit, compressor and device to deliver the fog in a "Screen" like wall. The conditions around the effect must be controlled, no drafts or air movement, and tempature could be a factor. We hope to revisit this concept and market it to haunters for the right price!

How Fog Screen works is by using ultrasonic's to excite the water into vapor. This is very similiar to the little devices that are sold at Michael's stores for "Witches Fog."

Matt
623-764-0927

stafford
12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Seen this product at several shows as well, very cool. Talked about experimenting with it, but just mainly talk so far.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the same product used in Disney's new Pirates of the Caribbean ride? Think it has Davey Jones projected on it?

Chris

Greg Chrise
12-19-2007, 08:36 PM
In the one picture it is like not only is it eminating from somewhere but on the other end there is a bank of little fans drawing the air to a point like a vacuum cleaner only with a bunch of heads. So first you have a wall of air, then ultisonic fog, and then the projection all on 110 V 20 Amp circuit.

This is like the big temperature walls of air coming into a department store keeping the cold air out of the store. Then put a few foggers instead of heating elements. I could see $10,000.

Its the blow drier from an automated car wash.

icandrawem2
12-21-2007, 12:54 AM
I have been wanting to build one of these ever since i rode the updated PotC ride at the Magic Kingdom. Really great effect. The guy i spoke to at IAAPA told me that theirs is the same unit Disney bought for the ride, of course whats 80K to them right? From what I could tell by looking at it, it vaporizes water and then uses the small fans on each side to keep it directed downward. The fan part would be fairly simple to construct, but not so much the water part. I am thinking that the state of the water is similar to that of a humidifier. So maybe if you could build a humidifier unit that forms a line of exhaust then, could you not use the fans to control the flow? Just a thought, but i would love to try and build a proto. I dont think it can be achieved with standard fog but I could be wrong.

TheCareTaker
12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
i can not tell you how many times i have riden the pirates of caribean ride trying to see how and where it is done from. but if any one know please post the info. that is one of the coolest effects i have seen in a long time.
i am happy to have the site of where to buy one if i just cant wait for the pirated version.

drfrightner
12-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Matt,

So can you make one? I want one!

Larry

Nightmaretony
12-21-2007, 11:58 AM
flat air flow and water sandwiched between two air flows.

One inhouse project over here uses a similar effect for a floating knife room effect that would prove dramatic. Experiments were made with temperature differences but the fog wasnt too hep with it, so laminar flow is the answer.

A cheap way to go, fly fans.

Be warned that I would bet that is patented so to use the same method in the same format would result in some legal action there....

TheCareTaker
12-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Rental price is $3,500.00 first day set up and use and $1,200 per day after

i say for those of you $ rich rent it get the insurance and start tearing it apart effectionatly.

i think it is exactly like the ultrasonic fogers with the fans pushing the heavier water air down unlike fog which turns to steam thus rising due to hot air convection yady dah

i think i will have to try and make a minature one all i can say is the ultrasonic devise must be big to create all tha thayze. but the unit does say uses 1.3 galons per hour

Matt Marich
12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Larry, we might fool with this again in Mid-January just before the show. I can't guarantee it but we might get close!!

Happy Holidays!!

Doug Kelley
12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Here's the patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,819,487.PN.&OS=PN/6,819,487&RS=PN/6,819,487

They make 29 fairly broad claims so I wouldn't try to build one for resale while the patent is still effective. Still, for "personal use" you might be able to glean enough information to build one.

shawnc
12-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Cheaper labor there, and they obviously don't give a hoot about any U.S patents. The quickest way to have them duplicate your product? Feature it on TV and make it look like you're making money off it.

Jim Warfield
12-21-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm building it, my way, no patent pending or otherwise, a bank of little fans blowing straight up controlled air flow with small dampers, not a copy of another's item, numerous little light-weight turds held in place by fishing line, a wall of floating turds! Very Scary!!!!
(Now everybody will be copying MY STUFF! Dam my big mouth!)

Nightmaretony
12-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Jim, that idea is so full of shiat....

I keed

Happy Christmas, ya animals!

Raycliff Manor
12-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey Larry, I figured your haunt would be the first in the country to incorporate this technology. Unfortunately, you'd have to sell a hell of a lot of tickets to compensate back just the investment! If anyone can do it though, it would be you! ; )

Kel

Matt Marich
12-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Larry, the version we would attempt would be different from the patent version using smoke instead of water. The best method is to have the smoke rise from the ground upward as smokers heat the glycol as they atomize it. This isn't always practical though as our original intent was to have guests walk through the smoke screen. We were going to elevate ( elevate me.. right here doctor, now? ) the corridor to accomplish this. Either way, we will fool around with this in January as TW approaches, we will keep you posted.

Matt

TheNightMare
12-27-2007, 01:41 AM
This was featured on the show Beyond Tomorrow about 6 months ago.. They were showing how images can be projected in 3-d form on a wall of water vapor. Very Cool, and I also thought about it for a haunt until I looked it up and saw the price. Ouch!

The Mad Hatter
12-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Here is an idea!

Just buy a lot of the M10 ultrasonic foggers (4) located on this website http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggerwholesales.html These ultrasonic foggers have 10 piezoelectric discs that vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies (meaning they make lots and lots of fog. Check out youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7miu8a0uM to see one in action) Just $110.00 each, kind of pricey but cheaper than a few thousand dollar unit. Just put these in a 45"x 5" rectangular tray with backing and side's that stick up 3" inch over the top of the tray. (have a hole that is cut out of the back that runs the whole length and put small computer fans behind it) Then add a top to it, that sticks out 2" past the tray and from that a 3" flap that goes down so the fog will go down. One more thing these will produce 3,000 ml of water an hour so 4 would be 12,000 ml thats 3.1 gallons i believe. all you need now is a way to dispense water. Well, this is just an idea and if anyone tries it let me know.