PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Store Question

Mr. Haunt
12-23-2007, 09:07 PM
So if I wanted to start a Halloween store that is NOT a franchise, my own store, I would I go about getting products from manufacturers who make the product to sell?

I have a located maybe some places, but I wanted to know what others had to say.

I am not sure on the whole idea, but one thing is, the halloween stores that are out there are over priced. I know that people still buy the Halloween products, but would'nt they not buy more if they could afford it?

I know that one store out by me was selling a prop that talked and the eyes move for $600.00. Before I waas in that store I found the same prop at menards for $150.00. Does anyone else see a scam there, or is it just me?

I would look into selling the products for a little cheaper, but not so much to hurt the business.

Brian

gadget-evilusions
12-23-2007, 10:16 PM
go to transworld

xxxdirk
12-24-2007, 12:32 AM
As someone that owns a small "mom & pop" Halloween store, think REALLY hard about opening a store. These freakin Halloween Express stores and Spirit stores suck the life blood out of the smaller stores. They buy stuff set up in early Sept, close Nov 1st. They have a store that is packed full of everything and then on Nov 1st can have the corporate company buy all the unused stuff. Smaller stores can not compete. A smaller store that decides to try to match what they have is in for trouble cause anything they dont sell, they are stuck with. As an example, I still have suff in my store that I bought in 2001! I have basically resigned myself to knowing that I will never have a killer halloween season, just have to wait for the owners that were open in October to go off to the islands and castles they own, and try to make sales the other 11 months.... It was really funny/sad having people come into MY store NOV 5th cause they needed costumes for a Hallween Party they were having and the other store was closed!

Haunted Nashville
12-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Just so you know how it actually happens, I own two Halloween Express stores in TN, and have never sold any merchandise back to our coporate stores, nor are allowed to. We have to buy all our merchandise every year and also have to store it year round at our expense. Some stores stay open year round while others set up ebay stores the rest of the year. In many cases we pay as much rent for three months as some small stores pay for the whole year. It's not as easy as you make it sound, just thought I would let you know.

xxxdirk
12-24-2007, 12:30 PM
My sincere apologies. That was how I heard it worked. I am sorry if I am wrong......

Barry
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
That is interesting. What is the advantage to being affiliated with a Halloween Express or similar venture?

Haunted Nashville
12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
There are many reasons but I would suggest visiting halloweenexpress.com and asking for more information. They can tell you the advantages. Sorry if that seems a bit standoffish, but I believe the information you could get from them would be better than me trying to explain it.

Barry
12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
No, your not being standoffish at all. I was just hoping to hear what you thought the benefits were as a franchise owner. I am not interested at all in starting a store like this but just curious. I have 20+ years in retail and don't need anymore. LOL However, in looking over the benefits of being a HE franchisee, I really don't see what advantage it would be to someone with my experience. I can handle site location, leases, marketing, merchandising, etc... So again, just curious...

Jim Warfield
12-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Ah, yes, Barry, but could you handle those cases of bloody masks and buckets of bones moaning and clicking next to your bed in the middle of the night waking you up because you couldn't find a place to store the merchandise in the off season?

Grimley
12-25-2007, 07:15 AM
You guys are thinking of Spirit Halloween stores not Halloween Express. Spirit Halloween will ship back any unsold products.