PDA

View Full Version : Forced perspective in a haunt

Mortax
12-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Greetings,

Hello all! I'm working on the design for next years haunt, and I have a bit of a problem. We have very limited indoor space for what I want to do, so I need to use some tricks. :-)

I'm doing an area that is supposed to feel like you are in a series of underground caverns. Since the area is small, I want to have rock corridors that the patrons walk through with large fissure like windows for them to look out as they walk. In these niches, I want to have models and miniatures to create the feeling that a very large space is just beond the wall. This gives me lots of opportunities to make a creepy atmosphere, as well as distractions.

To do this, I wanted to use Forced perspective to create these scenes. I've never used this technique before, so I was wondering if any of you had.

Are there any specific formula's I should use for the miniatures? Lighting considerations?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy

Smiley
12-27-2007, 08:26 AM
One idea I'd like to throw in, to make the place seem larger than it is, is to create a bottomless pit (http://www.halloweenpropmaster.com/Wormyt/Bottomless_Pit/pit_plexiglas.html) and apply it to the wall. Just something to think about.

One way to create light in a very confined spot is to stick in a Light Emitting Diode (LED). LEDs are already a sort of miniature light. So you could pass them off as mini industrial lighting perhaps? You can also use audio. A speaker next to or in a niche that spews echoing screams would make people take notice.

Mortax
12-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. :-) If I use the pit (assuming I can get enough mirrors), I'll have to use some kind of flickerbulb or something. Our storyline is 1890 in the eastern US.

Mortax
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Never mind, just habit. We were using 1860's until last year. We moved forward to incorperate Jack the Ripper into storyline. They had electric lights in 1890.

So that gives me some things, but I still need to create a false perspective. For storyline reasons, I need to have a large underground "sea" visable from a distance. As large as it would be, there is no way it could be done practically. So I need to do it in minature.

As to why I'm doing this, I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. It's giving me fun ideas.

Thanks again for the link, Smiley . That's a good demo.

Infoamtek
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Try this site http://studiochalkboard.evansville.edu/r-theatre.html