PDA

View Full Version : latex+erosion cloth= ...well, you try.

FutureHauntings83
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
tried this effect for the first time this week. cutting erosion cloth into moss/vine formations and soaking in liquid latex, results in great looks but painful and messy. anyone ever try this? it's a perfect way to seal and protect your great looking erosion cloth decor from rain as well as customers and rowdy actors. since the attraction this was done for is 3d, we're thinking of mixing the latex with a desired UV color. we'll see how it works. if gallons of latex are in your budget, deffinately give this a try, but be warned, liquid latex and arm hair are mortal enemies!!!

steve o.
imaginart studios

spookologist
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Show pics...I'd love to see how they came out.

Wayne

www.trailofterror.com

Gore Galore
01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
The secret to this technique is getting as much latex out of the Erosion cloth as possible. The more latex it soaks up the more expensive and heavier the jute mess is.
I have done a couple things to reduce this cost. Dip it then wring it out in an industrial mop bucket.

the most efficient, material wise, was rolling out some plastic, rolling out the jute, and then using a roller and rolling the latex into it. This decreased the amount of latex by gallons and only applied what was needed to bind the parts together.
Then we just dry brushed the flourescent color on so that it had highlights and shadows rather than one solid color.
Do you remember Safetex? This was one of their key products years ago, but it was an ugly way to vibrant green.

TheCareTaker
01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
two years ago i shreded the jute cloth and soaked in a greenish moss lokking paint then hung tons of the stuff from my fornt tree which was trimed the month prior into a hudge magnoils / bonsai thing i used a whole roll of jute and th eresult was the most creepy looking swamp tree ever. i am getting old and cheap and did not want to pay 500 twice a year to have the tree trimed so ichoose to get ride of it all together and it was a hard choice as it was a center peace for the home haunt grave yard.

i use the latex method for my skellies i will scan them in and post another day.

enjoy all happy creating.

FutureHauntings83
01-09-2008, 02:01 AM
i've been thinking about the latex method with bucky's. maybe some kind of thin cloth dipped and wrapped over the bucky.