PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Vendors...What is on your Christmas List?

drfrightner
01-04-2008, 12:33 AM
As you know most vendors are now working on new products. What is on your Christmas list for Vegas '08? What do you want, what do you need, what are you hoping gets created for your haunt?

Every vendors, and I mean EVERY vendor reads these forums. Trust me I know!

So TELL THEM!

Larry

bodybagging
01-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Hey we hear at BBE do not read these forums, we are just here for the purty pictures.........

Gore Galore
01-05-2008, 12:11 PM
WOW!
I am a little surprised at this.
Larry posts a great question for buyers and not a single buyer answers.
I am dumbstruck.
why is this?
Do you not know what you want until you see it?
Do you not want to reveal to others what your plans are?
Do you not know what your plans are?
Have you already posed this question to your favorite vendors?

Honestly, it is a little late for this question but what a great question to be put out there for you.
Larry,
I think you should post this question every year, but do it Nov 1st or so.

I really am curious as to why no one answered.

we are doing a few pieces right now based on our buyers suggestions.

Frighteners Entertainment
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Well Kev, since you brought it up.
You did mention that you had a couple of pair of Batman Underoos and Superman underoos is premium condition...?;)

drfrightner
01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm kinda dumbstruck myself... we've got two or three vendors who've responded but no buyers.

I guess everyone had a terrible season and has no money. LOL

When it came to talking about how much some people are upset with Scarefactory we saw 300 posts on the subject. But now we want to help those vendors help the haunt owner we see none.

C'mon people!

What do you want under that tree???

Larry

drfrightner
01-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I will make a wish list myself for later tonight.

But I can tell you it starts with HIGH END COSTUMES for my actors.

Larry

lurker
01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Dear Santa Vendor,
Our theme this year is going to be more eclectic than most years, and we haven’t hammered out all the details yet. Based on what I’m already 100% set on, we are going to need SNAKE STUFF. Fake snakes, giant fake snakes, and some sort of cool kick ass giant snake costume. We are doing a room this year themed as “Yigg: Temple of the Snake God”. Of course the giant snake costume would be old Yigg himself. I’d like it to be a costumed actor, but I may go with an animation for the part. And Santa, please keep the real snakes at the north pole.
We are also looking to get one or two skelerector type rigs that we can add our own props to.
And maybe a really good giant spider animation.
Of course, we are always looking for cool and durable foam latex prosthetics that will go with the characters we have planned. As already indicated we will have one or two snake characters. We will also possibly need a prosthetic for a Spider Queen character.
Also, I got to get one of those Gore Galore Scream Cubes. That can turn a bad actor into a great one.

Other than that, the rest of what we'll need this year will be mostly building materials of various degrees and forms.

Here is something I think vendors might want to consider. We build a lot of our own stuff, which I’m sure a lot of haunts do. For us that is about 65% of the fun of haunting, but we have limitations on what we can do. One of those things is to sculpt and cast large pieces for costumes and animations. We have the talent, but we don’t have the time it takes to sculpt, mold and cast pieces for costumes and animations, but we still want them to be our own creations to some degree. That is why I think more vendors should openly market their cast parts, or skins. I can’t tell you how many times in the last few years that I wished I had access to a catalog of oversized heads, chests, and hand pieces. I know some vendors will sell those to you if you approach them on the side, but no one really markets them openly.
Just a thought.

I want to see all of the stuff on my above list, as well as a Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle BB gun in front of my haunt by Monday. 
Go Santa go!

Thanks
Ralphie

Dman
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I have to agree with Kevin and Larry, I thought that a bunch of folks would have posted ideas. I normally check this board 2 times a day and have purchased and sold numerous items throughout the years. I would like to see more Higher Quality Costumes geared toward outdoor attractions (Hayrides and Trails). I would like to see a Scarecrow, Clown, Zombie and Custom Characters. I have a couple of Castle Blood Costumes which is the quality and price that I'm talking about and they're Great. I wish that there was a company that would produce the kind of costumes that Rozzy Alexander (RIP) did but at a more affordable price. I have 2 of Gore-Galore's costumes (Freakenstein and Reaper) and love them. The problem with spending $$$$ for these costumes is that it Greatly limits the actors that I will Trust to wear them.

Just an idea..

Dan Augusto
Owner Tombstone Productions

twohlgemuth
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Dman,

Your wish has been granted! Visit the new vendor SpookywoodsFX at Transworld this March. Film quality costumes for todays modern haunts is the tag line.

We will be revealing the new web site with videos in Feb.

Prepare to be simply blown away by the extremly detailed full body suits that can be themed to fit many haunts. We are bringing 20 suits to the show for sale, so make room in your suit case!

Jim Warfield
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
20 suits!?

No "Suit" can be scarier than...my "Birthday Suit"!
hahahaha!
Now everybody knows! You will be selling copies of me naked !
"Run! Hide! It must be the armagedeon!"

Now you have us all curious.
All I ask is please, no Jim-Birthday Suits! Too many imposters would be wearing them when they lie at the sperm bank.

Gore Galore
01-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Jim,
Ouch
Don't do that to me.
No wmy brain hurts.

Tony,
There is room for this type of costume. We have had the Bride costume for a couple years, but I just don't enjoy making these types of costumes as much as the Giant Puppet style costumes. Larry has talked to me about it for years. But just be aware that many buyers are going to act like it costs too much. The companies selling silicone masks get hammered all the time with people saying why so much.
You really do have to pay for quality. That is why our costumes are as much as they are, and sadly enough they really should cost more. The market just couldn't bear it.
But if you supply a great product, at a fair price with a service guarantee, and good customer service you will make it. So, good luck and I will most certainly swing by your booth and check them out.

Hey Dan,
thanks for the plug and also we like being reserved for the best. hahaha
And you know our costumes make a bigger than life impression upon your patrons and with the new scream cubes they will push it even further over the top. You will find that out when you receive the ones you ordered. We have been getting great feedback from our customers so far. And we are working on a huge library of downloadable sound effects.

And Rozzy did make some awesome costumes and they were worth every penny. He hand made every one of his costumes and he didn't take any shortcuts. If anyone were to build the same type of costumes for a cheaper price they wouldn't be in business long. They would be making like $5 an hour. Not a good thing. I miss Rozzy. I remember him from his first Transworld show and I was so amazed by his work.

twohlgemuth
01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Kevin,

Before I decided to fund this project I did lots of research. There are a couple of vendors that are in this area of products. One is you and Scream line the other doing costumes at this level. Your new web site kicks ass by the way! I wanted to bring something totally new, I did not want to rip off an idea, but be unique. With customer service being an area I believe strongly in that will be easy. I'll return calls and emails, and take care of clients like I would like to be taken care of from my vendors. Trust me, being a buyer from many years I know who not to buy from for lack of customer service.

One of my visions was to have the product on the show floor for purchase. This insures the customer two things, one delivery and you get the quality you paid for. Based on what you and screamline have to offer I have based our pricing on your amazing large costumes and their stilt monster as the high end and spfx masks on the bottom end of what a customer price point should be. If I'm way off, then I will have a full troupe of extremely detailed creatures for our next parade! LOL

Speculo
01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
The best products are the innovative ones you didn't EVEN know you needed. When vendors come up with those kinds of items thats when they have really delivered. That said, the short list is:

1) New products, ideas or effects that REALLY scare people.

2) A new VORTEX i.e. something massive you walk through that blows guests away

3) New Gee wiz items that make the MEDIAS jaws drop.

4) A new CHAINSAW. i.e a portable scary blowoff that almost always works and sends em running home to mommy.

How is that for a list?

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
NETHERWORLD

drfrightner
01-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Kevin,

Actually I would tend to agree with everything you said sorta. The fact is that you're right someone did come along selling high end costumes (Rozzy) but that guy never delivered and if memory serves me right many people made claims he took their money without handing over the product. I've seen many haunted houses wearing some of his cage costumes from the movie 13 something.

Rozzy didn't have a great track record I dont' think. But I do agree that many people back then would say 'why so much'. I do think times are changing now.

People have tapped out the animation scene. What more could you want? People have bought and bought and bought animations and there just isn't anymore room for them, atleast not in my haunt.

If a cool animation does come along ya sure you might consider buying one but for the most part animations are about to start sliding.

People want stuff they didn't have before or couldn't get before.

Now is the time for new idea's rather than re-inventing the same old stuff.

The haunted house industry is flush with cash and people I think will spend it on things they don't have or couldn't get rather than the same old monster that lunges forward. Just an opinion.

I think people keep buying animations because there isn't enough NEW directions offered by vendors. If we go to TW and see NEW innovation I think you'll see money going in a NEW direction.

Just a thought.

Larry

drfrightner
01-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Here is my list...

NOTICE TO VENDORS:

I AM TIRED OF ANIMATIONS THAT BREAK!

NOW here is my list...

1) I would love to see more special effects, things that could make my haunt haunted, stuff you might only see in a movie or a major theme park dark ride.

Basically the WOW factor prop. That is what I'd like.

2) High End Costumes. People are ready for this because Netherworld has set the standard, well and Rocky Point. People are wowed by their costumes and are ready for some of their own. Bring it on!

3) Silicone monsters rather than latex. Give me stuff that looks like its right out of the movies made of Silicone rather than latex. I'd love to see more silicone props!!! Lets go!

4) Bring back the masks...we've seen only ONE silicone mask company. Bring on some competition! I'd like to see more companies specializing is masks for haunted houses, I'm talking about masks that fit a persons head, that allow for mouth movement, comfortable, realisitc and scary!

5) Little things that make the difference:

I don't think I've ever bought anything from Oak Island before but last year they had little things that worked out and those heads on a wire. I ended up buying like 40 of them some for myself and some for clients. I made an entire hallway scary by hanging them up and making my customers walk through them. Others I put in pulleys and dropped them to scary customers, blah, blah.

That was something little that worked! You don't always have to think BIG, because sometimes those little things can work wonders. An old saying goes 'its not how big but how you use it' lol. Same applies here.

Bigger isn't always better and Oak Island proved that for me last year!

How are those?

Larry

TheCareTaker
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
i have to be honest. Last year i went to buy things but i was already on a turning point of i can make that and more to my tast and liking. for less.
i am working on a catalog for my store Halloween oriented! but this year i am going to strictly look at presentation and to grab as many catalogs as posible to review. fear not though vendors as i always pass on your stuff to others even when old if i am asked about a product that i know some one caries.

i am antisipating an excelent product line up as i have seen the props evovling over time to what is a high quality. so i want to come into the market with a very competitive and cost effective product line.

this year will comprise of alot of drinking gambeling and just learning faces to companies if that is posible.

i can't wait to meet most of you and to see your displayes at this show and a few others i will be attending this year.

i hope that you have time to talk when i stop buy

shawnc
01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree with Ben. Show me something I didn't know I needed. If I already needed it, I would already have it (within reason - we're not all flush with cash).

I also like his idea of something large that is kind of a stand-alone feature that will really impress everyone.

I also need some snake stuff. The direction I have been taking is with "real" scares, as opposed to unexplainable creatures. As a matter of fact, watching the Indianna Jones trilogy again for the first time in a long time is on my to-do list. Realistic bugs/rodents/etc. would also be good.

Grimley
01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm always on the lookout for fat zombie props. Don't know why but fat zombies just freak me out. A little child zombie would also be very cool. Most of my close friends are freaked out more by movies with spooky little kids running around.

We also can't wait to look at the scream cube. I've been wondering why no one had come up with something like this years ago. I hope it's so loud it makes people piss themselves.

Dman
01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I have to agree with Larry on this one. Over the past few years we have amassed quite a large inventory of props and animatronics. Last season we spent alot of time and effort on the arrival of our Largest and Most Expensive purchase (The Pumpkin King), we dealt with TOOO MANY ISSUES FROM THE MAKER. When everthing was finished, we had the SAME REACTION from a simple Don Post Spider dropping into the wagon (simple rope and pulley mounted on branch of tree controlled by actor) as we did from some of our much more expensive props. We are taking a look back trough the years to see what our popular scenes and scares were before we had the Big Stuff. I believe that costumes, masks and make-up are definitly an area that alot of haunts (myself included) need to improve on.

Dan Augusto

TheCareTaker
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I would have to say that one thing i would be looking for if the slot machines have not soaked me dry is a visual effect like a projection item.
i am disapointed Marylyn for ACC wont be there from what i have heard i wnated to pick up a big load from her so i will have to order that if they have a great Transworld deal again as in the past.

i always like to get new masks as well or costumes. it is hard for me to visualize if i cant see it.

other than that i am looking for lighting effets and or control.

stafford
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Not really a prop, but an alternative to the Gilderfluke SD25, something that works failproof in any environment and reasonably priced. We like the SD25 but for some applications it's overkill. A unit that's plug and play out of the box, amplified, great sound quality, that just works.

I like Ben's idea on the chainsaw, not sure of the company that makes the electric/sound one, a fantastic idea, but just not quite realistic enough as far as the sound.

I'll think of others.

Chris

Gore Galore
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Larry,
You might be right. Rozzy might have been one of THOSE guys. That is
annoying to know.
I remember that on the boards of years ago, but I still like the quality of his work.

MindWerxKMG
01-06-2008, 06:42 PM
My wishlist:

1. Foam latex prosthetic sock masks.

2. High-end costumes.

3. A really good chainsaw alternative.

Skinny Dead Dude
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Larry from Abracadaver here,I have not shown at T.W.for a few years but have attended as a buyer.I have found there to be a need for high end masks and costumes.So I started work on the Victorian Zombie costume which did well last year, And have sence developed a flex foam half mask for it this year.
Along with few a other designs with jaw movement. I think Kevin G. picked a few up and was happy with them.
The new masks will have a nice costume to go along with it. Also I have gone back to my roots as an make-up effects artist and made a full body monster suit, over 7 foot. Highly detailed sculpture.
Hey Larry K. I would love to do the suit in silicone but it would cost over $7,000
and weigh 2 to 3 hundred pounds. Not even in the movies do they use silicone
for full bodies. But I'm useing a very light but durable material that is used in films.unlike Latex that falls apart or tears. Anyway Abracadaver Productions
Is coming back to T.W.

Larry Carr
www.Abracadaver.com
Larry@abracadaver.com
(new email address)

drfrightner
01-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow so many to respond to...

First to Kevin, Ya and I hate to say this since Rozzy died a few years back, but yeah he was one of the guys who ripped off a bunch of people. I was being emailed endlessly with people who had a beef with him. I think Rozzy's work was exceptional, the best we've ever seen. He might have been overwhelmed I don't know. He was from the Terror on Church Street group. But I do agree his work was awesome. For this reason I think someone needs to step up and start offering costumes.

I have been saying this over and over and over and over and over again... I'm glad Tony is stepping up. But let me tell you I'm in the market for a lot of costumes.

Remember our industry has atleast ONE thing in common...we all have actors and most of us with the exception of a few like Netherworld have terrible costumes.

Larry, I didn't mean a silicon body suit, I meant just more silicon props, and masks not a whole body suit. But maybe a full body suit with a silicon mask and the rest in latex.

That would be nice!!!

Larry

Nightmaretony
01-06-2008, 09:36 PM
MindWerxKMG's:
chainsaw alternative.

www.spookyprops.com

That may help.

For my own wish list:

Year 1: a crew. (fingers crossed), Castle Blood costumes and a Gore Galore forest troll.
Year 2: 2 hayride wagons. (Tony, can you write up an article on yer wagons in the magzine? Please? :) And a Scarefactory horse and rider. maybe outcontract in trade for some new designs with a local company. (long story, but watch this space). And learn how to grow a cornfield.
Year 3: Zang the Destroyer (hope you keep making those, Kevin!). Alien haunted house needing a Zang to come out from the alien thing (not a spaceship but a helluva archetectural insanity). That would definitely bring out the yellow snow fer sure!

drfrightner
01-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Okay I've got more...

Let me say this and I"m not bragging okay... but I can do pretty much ANYTHING. If I want a photo system we could set one up, if we wanted a big prop or animation I could make one, heck we have a 30,000 hard coating gun, we have foam carving machines that cost $40,000.00. If we wanted a big fiberglass facade we could make one no problem. We have these things for our production company, and we seldom use them because most of the time its easier to farm this stuff out. Heck I don't even know why we bought it. LOL

I've learned over the years however that it is much easier to BUY something from someone who is making one already. Making for yourself doesn't mean you can do it better, or cheaper for that matter. The fact is you need to keep your eye on the prize and the prize is the overall production.

A director or producer of a movie are overseeing everything, they're not making latex zombie animations. I focus on doing the parts that I can't buy and buy the rest, it frees me up to focus more on sponsorship, or marketing, or detailing my haunt or whatever else.

I will ALWAYS look to BUY from a vendor FIRST before even thinking of making something I want or need first. I know almost ALL of you can do for yourself but like us you'd rather save the effort and just buy it instead.

Now with that being said, we're lazy around here (LOL) we need some stuff to buy at the show...

I threw out some idea's and now I'm going to throw out some more.

How about this for an idea...

Lets see some more IAAPA at Transworld. How about the people who make photo systems made easy and cheap for the haunt industry??? That will make you money and add some Disney to your place.

How about TRANSWORLD getting off their duff and contacting some of the IAAPA vendors who CAN SELL TO Haunts... They need our help in identifing these vendors. For example at IAAPA there was a company that sold HIGH POWERED vacume cleaners, industrial kind. You could clean up your streets, suck up cans, you name it in a flick of the wrist. I think haunts would want that.

We need to OPEN THINGS UP!!!!!!!!!!

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX HERE... Haunts will buy more than zombies, lets see some products that we can use to help our business, help us make money.

How about a program to help track inventory, or a online ticketing program that we can use on our websites, how about just some awesome computer programs that help our business.

Does anyone see what I'm saying???????

Larry

drfrightner
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Here is another one...

How about someone selling equipment that can help us do LIVE webcams from our haunt to our website, with SOUND!

Now wouldn't that be awesome???

I have a MILLION MORE idea's and those who know me know I have a million more... I'm holding back I'm telling you.

I'm hoping someone can step up, know someone, tell them anything.

Lets go! Time to take this puppy to the NEXT F*CKING LEVEL! LOL

Larry

mindtumor
01-07-2008, 06:14 AM
I would like to see a bunch of smaller table-top sized props. Whenever I go to transworld it seems like I mostly see large expensive animations. I mean there are some companies with small latex props like frightprops but I would like to see more. I would also like to see more masks and more fake foliage. Maybe even spooky trees and stuff.

Raycliff Manor
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Maybe this was already mentioned, I'm not sure. I'd like to see an affordable kiosk type product that allows people waiting in line, or perhaps in a V.I.P. Lounge, to trigger an air cannon or other scares inside the attraction. Maybe this already exixts???

Kel

lurker
01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Kelly,

I think someone did make one of those several years back. I don't remember who made it, but I haven't seen it advertised in a long time.

-l

Skinny Dead Dude
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Ghost rider I think makes one Kel.

Larry
www.abracadaver.com
Larry@abracadaver.com

Baron Von Goolo
01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Dear Santa Vendor,
We are doing a room this year themed as “Yigg: Temple of the Snake God”.

Nice one. I take it you have some Lovecraft fans in your ensemble.

Please send us some pictures afterwards.

BVG

Gore Galore
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Larry,
You are right. It is Ghost Ride. I thought when they came out with it, it was a great idea.
www.ghostride.com

Raycliff Manor
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the heads up!

Kel

bodybagging
01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Now that the Thread is Moving along nicely, allow me to throw in another Vendor moment, If Anyone wants anything custom built, costumes, props, facades, ETC.... WE DO IT, we are not just those guys that sell makeup and whatnot. Anyone that Knows me personally can attest to the fact that we build some incredible detailed sets. Hard thing about being a newer vendor is the inabiliaty to really show off our work at Transworld, by not Having the Finances to enable us to purchase multiple booths for the larger stuff. I am thankful for MHC for allowing us to bring some of our Larger works, and look forward to being ble to do so again, with bigger better examples of our work. I am working now on a new Stilt costume and I fear that it wont be ready in time for Transworld........ Kinda bummed on that, BUT before I release something that isnt ready, I wont release it. All I can say is that I tink it is going to knock the socks of some people. Time will TELL!

Monster-Tronics
01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Reading through all of the posts I’m not seeing a whole lot of innovation going on, mostly updates of the same old stuff. We are working on a lot of new things this year some may be done in time for TW or HC others may slide into 2009, but we hope to blow some minds...

One very small project I’d like to get some feed back on to see if it is worth releasing as a product is what I call a Smart Trigger. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do this before in a prop trigger.

Problem - I like to be at the back of a group going thru a haunt so I can check the scenery out blah, blah right. Just about every animatronic uses a motion sensor or matt switch and triggers on the first person that enters the room so the people in the back of the group never see much.

Solution – The Smart Trigger uses a couple of motion sensors that tracks the group size and triggers the prop at the best point for the group size, you can select middle or back of group for large groups or random select. Random select would be best if it you had Smart Triggers on all props then everyone would get their fare share of effects and when people go thru the haunt multiple times it is different each time.

Obviously if your haunt is a constant flow type (feeding people in one after the other) you would not use this. Cost has not been calculated yet but would be under $100.

Any thoughts are welcome.

shawnc
01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
It might take some calculations and trial and error to get it right, but how about putting a delay on the motion sensor? The first person in would trigger it but it wouldn't activate until so many seconds later.

Monster-Tronics
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
That might work but I found triggers with delays it is always hard to zone in since the speed of which people go thru a haunt is always very different. Some barely move other run… I tried that with a multi prop with a single sensor… it didn’t work well.

If you always have the same size group you could just put one sensor a little past the prop to get the back of the group.

Nice thing about the smart sensor, if it was a small two person group it would nail them perfect every time.

Thanks for the input, this is something I was adding as part to a custom prop I made to try and get the best scary every time. Wondered if it would make for a good standalone product.

Gore Galore
01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I see what Jeff is getting at. There are effect controls on the market with delays, but they are a specified time delay. And that is the best there really is. Jeff, it sounds pretty interesting. A smart board that always activates in the middle of the group no matter what the group size is. Or the end of the group for what they call "Scare Forward". You should always keep the groups moving to avoid bottlenecks. Always a good idea with higher throughput attractions.

shawnc
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Going back to the original theme of what we would like to have: a football player monster, maybe along the lines of a Creature Reacher. With Halloween being in the middle of the pro and college football seasons and the end of high school, it would probably be popular. It would probably need to be customizable to some extent as far as the color of the jersey and a logo on the helmet, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal. This might be a real money maker for some company because it would not only appeal to haunters but football fans as well. High school sna dcolleges would be inetrested in them. If it looked cool, you would theme it after your team. If it looked bad, you would theme it after your rivals. They could use them at games, rallies and parties like they do now with standars mascot costumes.

I think having one before Halloween would be a great way to promote your haunt at football events.

drfrightner
01-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Several years ago Ghost Ride sold a video game that you could put dollars in so you could trigger a scare while watching a video monitor. He hasn't brought this to the show in several years you'd have to ask him if he can make another one.

Larry

bodybagging
01-08-2008, 04:18 AM
LOL Shawn, last year on of the Minions Begged me to Create a stilted Football player monster, for the big MADDEN release, of course he asked me like a few days prior............ and no time at all to work the idea.

Grimley
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
We also would like to see smaller tabletop animatronics. Not all of them have to be 9' tall.

gadget-evilusions
01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
We also would like to see smaller tabletop animatronics. Not all of them have to be 9' tall.

We are working on one 8-1/2' tall animatronic and then a handful of smaller table top ones, got any requests? We only have one of the smaller ones in clay already so we are open to suggestions.

Grimley
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I just had an idea for a prop that we would be interested in. I think that a vendor would clean up with a change out body form. The vendor could create a rugged articulated body form with pegs at the ends of both arms legs and head. Say it would cost $599. Just enough to cover the cost of making the body form. Then sell different sets created to fit the generic body form. Molding the head, hands, feet, and clothes of a certain character. So the the vendor could create a couple of different zombies, different clowns, vampires, witches etc.... and the owner can simply swap out the clothes and apendages as needed for that season. It would save buyers who can't afford expensive full size zombies the money and it would be easier to produce. It would also be a lot easier to ship them as well as bringing them to shows like Transworld. Just think you could fit them all in one box and sell the add on sets for a decent profit. Hell if you need santa claus or the easter rabbit you could sell those sets too. I think it would only be limited by the creators imagination. If we had our own manufacturing team we would be all over it. I think that bodybagging our unit70 would clean up at the shows. You could hold demonstrations of how to swap out the prop in 5 minutes or less and viola a new nasty waiting for you guests. Let me know what you guys think.
Corey Rutland
Lord Grimley's Manor
Lordgrimley.com

Gore Galore
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Grimley,
They already exist.
www.mypetzombies.com
And they can easily be fitted with different armatures to suit whatever need.
rope, Wire, rod steel armature, or 1" steel or larger for mounting on custom built animatronics. the current price on line is based on 1/4 and 5/16 steel rod armature that separate at the hip with removeable heads.
All you have to do is ask.
This is also the same set up for www.ghostride.com with all their body forms.
As far as table top sized animatronics we have the "Torture Boxes" and many other items in that range and have had them for many years.

shawnc
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I found my gruesome football player costume. It's only $99 at Amazon, which makes me wonder about the quality. Like most others, I don't mind paying extra for good quality. But if something isn't going to last long at all, even a relatively cheap price is money wasted.

Grimley
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
The my pet zombies can the limbs all be switched out with more from the site?

Gore Galore
01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Grimley,
Currently we only use 1 style of hands but we will soon be offering 3 styles that can be mixed. A relaxed set, a stressed reaching out set, and a closed hand holding weapon set. And you can ask for just one closed hand for holding a weapon and a stressed set.
Soon, very soon. We even have stump details if you wanted a zombie with a severed arm etc... How about a labotomy? And we have several new characters premiering at the Vegas show.
We do alot of customization, so we can pretty well do whatever you want with the characters. We do upcharge so we base our customizing pricing on labor time invested in the project over what we normally do.
But you do have to call or email to have most changes happen.

Dan Faupel
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
What a great thread!

You guys will have to come by the HauntVisions booth at Transworld...we have a couple of new products that address some of the requests seen in this thread.

Shawnc...being a big football fan, I really like your gruesome football player costume idea! Really good idea!

01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Didn't Collegeville Costume do this 5-8 years ago? Like the football and baseball oversized masks? Could have been someone else....?

drfrightner
01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I've talked to several vendors over the past few days including Ghost Ride, Scare Parts, and a few others. They have all read this thread.

We can't always count on our vendor to know what is best of us... yes many of them make a living creating these things for us, but they need our support, they need our idea's.

I think Ghost Ride said he would be posting a message on this thread this weekend. I know all the vendors from Gore Galore to any new potential vendor have probably found your insight very valuable.

Keep the good info coming.

Larry

shawnc
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Larry,
Great idea for a thread and a good point, if you really think about it. How many haunters show up at a trade show or flip open a catalog to see what's new and just place an order? The problems are that you can only purchase what is available, and many haunts tend to have the same props. What's the big deal about having the latest, greatest 15-foot monster if four other haouses in your town all just installed the same thing?

That may go more towards needing customization, but the real point I was trying to make is that the manufacturers need more feedback from buyers, and as early as possible. They come up with some great ideas, but so do haunters. You just have to pass the idea along to a receptive builder and hope they can develop it into something real.

A good idea for a manufacturer's website might be a suggestions box. Have an idea for a new scare? Send it to us and we will consider it. Offer a small reward if the idea is successfully built. Or just give credit to the person who made the suggestion. A haunter having his name next to a prop in a catalog would create a lot of goodwill, and create a flood of new ideas coming in.

icandrawem2
01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
There may be some liability concerns in vendors accepting ideas from the outside, so i dont think offering a reward to someone is the best idea. Im not saying using an outsider's idea is bad, but it just needs to be done discreetly if that makes any sense. I know alot of companies will not accept outside submissions for new ideas or what have you, simply because if they did end up building it then that person could take them to court over such a matter... Even if the company thought up the idea to begin with. I just think its better for a business to keep everything on the inside, now of course an outside consulting firm is a different story, but im rambling. just my thoughts.

Jim Warfield
01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
An elderly customer of mine once gave me a really nice "Football" mask that had belonged to her son or someone. I have no idea who made it. It was the complete helmet , white with a yellow letter "P" on the sides of it, it also had a complete face sticking out of it of a gruesome meaty looking personage. The whole mask had a thin layer of foam on the inside which helped keep the helmet part pushed out to it's correct shape.
Somebody stole it from after a few years.
Imagine a display of the football field, goal line stand, a pile of body parts all ripped apart with uniform shreds hanging on them. As the customer edges closer for a better look suddenly the pile moves as the buried halfback with the football scrambles out and runs toward the goal line, which is of course behind the customers!
Then think of the sexy bodied cheerleaders with the gory, homely faces!
"This pillowcase doesn't come off of the pillow fast enough!"

drfrightner
01-19-2008, 01:07 AM
I talked to a few vendors that would like to see more scary weapons that actors can carry around. I've also talked to some vendors and have heard about new things coming to TW. I think we'll see a lot of smaller things that make the difference in your haunt.

I think this year a focus on small things not big things might best suit what the industry needs in 2008.

A couple vendors asked me what kind of weapons we'd like to see made...anyone have some idea's?

Larry

Matt Marich
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
We are very busy developing new and different ideas this year to answer Larry's call for better looking and realistic props. We will introduce animated efffects that blow high pressure air with scented, sininster, smoke. This is something we have been trying for years to develope! We also will introduce alot of silicone based products, they are the most realistic. Our Autopsy table will return this year with the improved thermo formed table. And lastly a big surprise that is still in it's infancy, wearable cordless pneumatics!

Much more is on it's way!!

Matt Marich

Viva Las Vegas!

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING?

Gore Galore
01-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Larry,

We already have the weapons request taken care of
www.gore-galore.com/wmd.php
We had the prototypes at the show last year, and everyone thought they were going to be awesome.

We designed a whole line of oversized bone handled actor hand weapons called "Weapons of Mass Destruction".
We also have a big killer Pipe and we have an antique shotgun, and Miners Pick on the way.
Also we will be adding more throughout the year, and special requests are welcome off list.

Matt, I look forward to see what you have going on this year.
we also had a project we developed for a zombie film that introduced us to small portable pneumatics. Great technology. I have a zombie cameo and I get shot through the chest. We did blood splatter from the front and a back pressure splatter from the back at the same time. Fun stuff and it looks great on film.

01-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I was going to mention that Kevin. They do look fantastic.

kpolley
01-19-2008, 08:06 PM
We actually have a few weapons that we will be debuting as well. They mostly follow a butcher type theme. We will have a couple types of meat cleavers (including one big enough to use two hands on), some very old railroad style spikes, a small sledge hammer, and we are trying to get a meat tenderizing hammer and a meat hook both molded as well. We'll see if those make it before the cutoff or not. All of our weapons are molded from actual tools and are painted to look very authentic and very real. They are, of course, made of dense, flexible foam so they're safe. We'll try to post a picture or two to give you a feel for what they will look like.

Look forward to seeing everyone there!

Jim Warfield
01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
"Safe" Soft "Weapons!?"
I just saw a show on Tv where a guy said a Green Beret can kill with a napkin!
(Wait, it was a comedy routine...nevermind)
But then again line up enough paper cuts and someone could bleed to death.

Matt Marich
01-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Kevin, sounds cool, I have seen you r pics and will be ordering one or two from you if my wife will let me have pointed things...,

Matt