PDA

View Full Version : I saw Cloverfield

MDKing
01-16-2008, 08:33 AM
It was OK, not great. The spfx were good but it was hard to watch. If you have motion sickness watch out! People were exiting the theater pretty sick, filmed much like The blair Witch Project. Out of our group of 6, 5 of us were feeling at least a bit queasy. If you are looking for an explanation for where the monster comes from it doesn't exist....Had I known myself, I would have waited until it came out on DVD.

Allan

Matt Marich
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks Alan, I suffer from motion sickness pretty badly! I will have to wait this one out!

Matt

MDKing
01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
No problem, I figured that a lot of people whould struggle with the motion sickness. I wish I knew going in.....

lurker
01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you at least get a good look at the monster?

shawnc
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
what the monster is, at least this early. Give us a chance to watch the movie first. :)

MDKing
01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
PM me is you have any specific questions, as not to spoil anything for those wanting to see it.

Allan

drfrightner
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
So there was or wasn't a monster? That is the whole thing about the hype of this movie. Larry

Jordan24
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Here's a link for the trailer. Looks sort of like an Independence Day kind of movie.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNkGm8mxiM

Infoamtek
01-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Here is a concept pic of the monster
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/Maffusse/monster.jpg

MDKing
01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Larry,

There was a monster, but you don't really see great shots of him. The best shot overall was an aerial shot. But looking at the concept art below, it's hard for me at least to match them up....Even after seeing it, I still feel I don't have a good complete image of him though. It was huge, skyscraper sized.

Allan

RoguesHollow
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Early on I heard that the monster was under wraps because it was going to be cthulhu which would have been awesome but I guess that's not the case now. The monster looks like a mutated humpback whale in that concept art. I am not a big fan of "shake the camera" filmmaking so I'll be waiting this one out on DVD.

damon carson
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Trailer looks decent but to many spoilers from posters. Thanks for the warning about the shakey camera work like blair witch. Bought lost a pizza on the person in front of me in that one! LOL! But anyway the concept drawing of the monster is disappointing if thats what it looks like. It looks like a large hermit crab on steriods. I will take godzilla anyday! I will wait for video.
Damon

MDKing
01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I tell you, the concept art didn't exactly look like the monster to me though. Then again, it's hard to get a good idea how he looked really....

kpolley
01-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey, I just saw it and I thought it was AWESOME! The movie was done very well and they really made me care about the characters. I thought it was just a great time and a really fun movie. I love pretty much everything JJ touches anyway, but I did really enjoy this.

Jim Warfield
01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I purposely avoided seeing Blair Witch until the theaters were basically empty so I could sit way back with no distractions and then the potential of motion sickness never manifested itself with me. I couldn't tolerate one of Woody Allan's movies because of the jerky camera work.
If someone feels the jerky stuff makes it more "real" then I would hate to be seeing the world and living through their eyes Sew the ear-straps on the vomit bag, "No I'm not here to rob the bank I just have to wear this puker bag everywhere I go, unless you want the mess for yourself!"
"Put all of the big bills in this other bag or I will remove this bag and puke on you!, Make it fast, I feel something tickling the back of my throat!"

jehlei
01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree Allen. I liked the movie overall, but the one thing that turned me off of the film was the rescue mission & love story. Once I saw that I was done... Oh and by the way. When that girl they rescued was hobbling out of the apartment and on the roof. Why was she all of the sudden runnng 5 min later?

TheCareTaker
01-20-2008, 08:05 AM
sorry but i took four boys teens and 1 child 6 total and let me tell you they all hated it. i mean hated it i had to promis to take them to see This is Sparta to make up for the in your seat robery.

just my two cents which aine worth that.

ejoy alll

mindtumor
01-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I went and saw this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think it is going to revolutionize the way movies are made but it was pretty good. There is a love story and rescue mission element to it but for the most part these people are just running for there lives. I think you see plenty of the monster and you get some good shots of it. Even when you don't see the monster its presence can be felt. As far as what it looks like, I didn't think it looked like that mutated whale concept drawing at all. It looked like something I had never seen before. It is huge though.

hauntedhousenut
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
In the Blair witch, the only thing you saw were the actors, in this movie you do get to see the monster.

Haunted Illinois
01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I went to see this movie and I have mixed thoughts on it. The special effects were great, but they took the “camera shaking” concept to an extreme. I know they were trying to drive home the point that it was shot with a handheld video camera, but I think they overdid it. Honestly, a small child could have operated the camera better. With all of the quick pans, zooms & slow focusing, combined with all of the shaky shots taken while running, I wish I had taken some Dramamine before entering the theater. Seriously, this movie made the Blair Witch Project look like it was shot on a tripod.

Contrary to what I had heard from some people, you do get a good view of the creature, which looks absolutely nothing like the concept art shown in this thread. The characters made some of the dumbest decisions (like running directly toward the monster, which was in plain site less than a block away). Some of the things they did were so dumb, in fact, that during certain parts of the movie I actually heard groans of disapproval from patrons in the theater. I loved the special effects, but didn’t care much for the plot, characters or the camera shaking. Not a horrible movie overall, but I wish I had waited until it came out on video. At least I hit the matinee, so I didn’t have to pay full price.

mindtumor
01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
The monster looked NOTHING like the drawing. I am not sure where that drawing even came from. I agree the characters did do some stupid stuff in that movie but I still enjoyed the movie.

damon carson
01-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Went to see Cloverfield last night. It was alright but not the greatest. The monster was pretty cool what you see of him. But you do get a very upclose in your face look at him. He kinda looks like a turtle on some bad acid! LOL! I didnt get motion sickness but the blair witch type filming all the way through kinda took away from the movie.
Damon