PDA

View Full Version : The Single Craziest Website I HAVE EVER SEEN...

drfrightner
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
This new site for Dead Acres takes the cake...

Robert Kocher did the work and I must say this is art!

http://www.deadacres.com/

I can't wait to read the reviews on this website.

Larry

SomeThingInTheIce
02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
That is freaking awsome!!!

Killer Katie
02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
that site is pretty sweet... I love the music!

lurker
02-08-2008, 05:12 PM
It's not your run of the mill haunt web site. It grabs your attention right off the bat. The only thing I don't like is that links within the site come up as separate pop up windows. It is just a pet peeve of mine, but I don't like when a web site has separate windows open, unless it is a link off site.
Other than that it rocks.

gadget-evilusions
02-08-2008, 07:04 PM
that site is pretty sweet... I love the music!

Katie, the music is creature feature. It's on our myspace page, nightmares myspace page, and i listen to it all the time. Where have you been!

Just kidding. I will let you listen to the cd.

As for the website, it is pretty cool.

steve
02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
does nobody notice the blantant, what seems to be permissionless, theft of the artwork from "MadClowns" aka Heckles and Twitch? They even use their image in the artwork, along with the background which is theirs. thought you might want to know.

drfrightner
02-08-2008, 10:07 PM
The clown shown on the website looks fake to me doesn't look like a real person. I don't know I didn't pick up on that when I visited the site. Even so they might have asked them to use the photo I have no idea.

But the site overall is really wild!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a wilder website.

Again as for the images I wouldn't know.

Larry

Jim Warfield
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
This web site probably just lost the church youth group tour.
I like it though.
Can't please everybody, can't please everymind.
Satisfy yourself
Leave the others behind...unless ...you like their behind?
Has anyone ever had suspicions that church youth groups are brought to a haunt so they can then be shown a bad example of what they are not supposed to be like?
It's their whispering and sideways darting glances that give away their real purpose for being there.
"So this is what hell looks like!"
(Insert evil laugh here~)

Nightmaretony
02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Steve, I just noticed, now that you pointed it out.

Larry, they are real; seen them do their thing. they are the head monsters out at Magic Mountain. Six Flags isn't one to take kindly for copyright infringement like that.

Insanely fun website there, though. A tad too busy and abrasive, but that is me.

also Steve,

Copyrights are fun. Working on a huge side project which I have gained copyright permission of over 100 people and companies so far. Not haunt related but it has some pretty spectacular mind games involved. (some things used within this will be useful towards new psychological trickery used for haunting).

drfrightner
02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Tony,

I think the 'busy' aspect of that website was all part of the plan, the whole idea. I think that is the style of the haunt, and if you ask me its a website right out of a crazy movie for something Rob Zombie would do.

Its crazy but I really like it! Its a piece of art!

Larry

TheNightMare
02-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Very cool, very busy and the music ROCKS!!!!

Xanthar
02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Well, I counted 14 Clowns total in pictures and backgrounds, and most of them came from the customer itself as employees or came from various clipart. I checked out the Heckles and Stitch site, and I only see 1 clown (which is mostly cut off - just a half face shot) that looks like it could be from that site...the rest doesn't look at all from that site.

So, to say it was blately and obviously stolen, yadda yadda yadda is quite silly, it's not even the full pic of the clown and it represents less than .05% of the entire website....thus, your statement is quite overblown. I think we spent about 8 hours on the demon girls dancing, the movement, the pole, the wings, the skin colors, etc...why on earth would spent hours and hours on that, to then go and worry about stealing one tiny graphic. I looked at the other site, and that one clown (just the face part) does look very similar, so I will gladly change it. I will change it first thing next week when I have the flash source in front of me.

If any website designer has something that looks strange, just email them. Any professional company will correct it. Many times in large clip art galleries which are suppossed to be shareware have images that other people have used on their site, however, the graphic is still 'shareware' for anyone to use.

Othertimes, I have seen images in clipart galleries that are not clipart, but someone had put it there from other sites....so things get messed up from time to time. My personal recommendation however, is instead of personally attacking anyone or their website, just email the designer or the owner of the site. It doesn't make you look bitter by lashing out, and the problem is usually fixed right away. You get far more flies with honey, than vinegar, plus, the designers are usually happy if someone points this out, because they are concerned about the same exact issues that you are. We hate it too when people take our artwork, by mistake or otherwise.

xxxdirk
02-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Rob did my site my site and is a great guy to work with. I love the site and love the music. It will be interesting though. By looking at the site you almost get the feel that the haunt will be a circus theme or a freak show. I visited their haunt with a haunt tour last year or 06. I wonder if they are changing their haunt....

TheCareTaker
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
let me tell you i have three boys ten fourteen and seventeen and when i was in the kitchen they had the damned speakers way up but had them turned off when i clicked on the link and realized i was missing the audio effect opf the site it blasted and they all came in to see wht it was one by one so it caought all of our attentionthe music had us bumbing and the flash keept us watching it took them a while to realize it was redundent they jsut keept watching and saying "that is bad dude" sweet and you know all that stuff i use to say befor ethe smoke screen cleared and i had them! damn kids will runin everything.

that would be an impulse buy for many a youngsters and coledge student for sure.

enjoy the day all.

TheCareTaker
02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
i have been thinking of using the designer for some time it is just the full set of products that is holding me back but i lover there work adnthink they are very creative. thre are few in the industry which i have felt can truly cater to the haunted industry theming and ideas and get it right with out getting frustrated first witht he customer but the vil and sinister have a great creative nature to assit the haunt owner or industry with gettig there idea out and on line.

keep up the good workyou guys!

enjoy the day all hope to see many of you in TW

Speculo
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
A couple of things:

1) Dead Acres: They rock! This is an awesome show with amazing detail and unique illusions. That said they are a little extreme on content for some, and they do have some contact between guests and actors, that is their style. I think the show is very cool, and really see the time money and creativity they put into the haunt.

2) The Site: Great work Robert, you really captured the chaos feel they go for at Dead Acres!

3) The Art: This is something that has happened to me on more than one occasion. I as well recognize that Heckles and Twitch clown, but I don't think Tim May of Dead Acres or Robert of the Village of Darkness would ever knowingly steal artwork.

At NETHERWORLD we do tons of custom creatures and artwork. I have had people steal artwork from us and THEN post it on clip art sites. When we found the stolen art on line we discovered that the guys using it thought it was free clip art when it wasn't.

The moral is all clip art you find may not really be free, it may be stolen. And this goes as well for everyone who uses movie art, photos and characters - you can pretty well bet that is all stolen. This last year for example, anyone using Freddy Jason or Leatherface in advertising or in haunts who wasn't Universal Studios most likely didn't have the rights to those characters.

Really you can only be sure if you pay to have the art made for you, and even then you need to know the reputation of your artist. Fortunately there are some excellent artists and web designers in this industry like Brainstorm, Rogues Hollow, Sinster Visions, Redcrow and Village of Darkness to name a few.

One other thought on The Heckles and Twich art specifically. Although they are iconic and well known Haunt characters, they use common available Scream Team appliances, Dental Distortions Teeth and easily aquired contacts. That may well be a picture not of them, but rather ANY haunt actor that used those products.

It sort of opens up the question of using purchased masks, prosthetics or props that ARE not movie characters to advertise your haunt. Can you use say a generic Party City type mask? How about a more rare thing (but not in our industry) like a Scare Factory Slayer?

Something else that has really fogged up the issue are web sights like Myspace. No one seems to see the harm in lifting images to use as backgrounds, or icons as a personal networking tool. Where it gets strange however is that many people use Myspace to promote actual business, and using images and music you don't own in a business venture could get you in legal trouble.

I don't know the answers here, but as long as haunts are filled with Freddys and Jasons, and movie art is commonly used to promote attractions, when gags and themes and prop designs get ripped off in plain view of the folks that created them, then it will continue to be open season on intellectual property.

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
NETHERWORLD

Motograter
02-11-2008, 01:02 PM
That site is awesome! Very well made

drfrightner
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Let me say this about stolen artwork... I know a thing or two about it. I've had several people steal my artwork and one guy who stole both my haunt name and my artwork and posed as my haunted house for almost two years.

I've even had a MAJOR MAJOR radio station company steal my artwork, not once but TWICE... I settled both times once for $5,000.00 and the other for $50,000.00. When you take something that someone knows is not theirs and uses it for their own personal financial gain that is WRONG!

We saw more of this in the past than we do today for several reasons. For one most haunted house owner look around and see other haunt websites, and when they see them they'll inform the owners, and from there you can do something about it.

This has happened to me about 10 or 12 times but only once was someone so illegal that they took my name and artwork. Either way I doubt very seriously that Robert stole artwork or used artwork that he knew was someone elses.

As you can see Robert creates some pretty cool artwork himself, so no need to use someone elses. I think it was just a mistake or oversight, and to be honest its an actor not artwork that was being used. It was an actor dressed up as a CLOWN, not artwork.

Either way I know those guys have their own look, and it should be protected for just them. When you're dealing with clown images its probably pretty easy to think they 'ALL LOOK ALIKE'. LOL

From what I'm seeing of Roberts work, I'd say he's doing a top notch job!

Its a good thing you caught the clown thing, so now he can remove it!

Larry

Empressnightshade
02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Awesome website! However, it's no good for those who don't have a good computer -- I doubt it would load.

Greg Chrise
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I have seen on posters and fliers everywhere, including ones made for the local one here, art work I obviously know by name who owns it.

Perhaps a little investigation into who these clip art curators are is in order. They seem to be scouring the web and selling a CD to print shops and such. This is not only disrespectful but puts the small haunts that use print shops at some liability.

The print shop thought it was okay, the web publisher thought it was okay.

The clip art CD guy is the theif, even if there is disclaimer of some type.

Barry
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Ben had it right, it is an actor wearing a Scream Team prosthetic.

Greg, if you want to read some interesting stuff, look into the strong-arm tactics used by Getty Images against people who used what they thought were royalty free pics. It can get very ugly...

Greg Chrise
02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
I once did free cover art for a members list for a local group called a touch of class. It was a simple top hat and gloves and a cane I think that took me maybe an hour. Several months later I see this same thing on a bill board super large advertising some other company. I guess it is kind of flattering and sad at the same time.

It was not copywritten, I'm a poor man and certainly couldn't trace down all involved so it flies. It was up for maybe 6 months or a year.

With the heckles and twitch controversy, I can only imagine the prosthetic and the characters were developed at similar times and anyone can buy the costume and now The characters are someone. So if Six Flags now ownes all of this, they haven't really controlled the access to the costumes or the fandom in so many mediums and maybe it would be impossible to actually follow up on completely.

There is only so much clown art out there, the customers don't know where it all came from and if we hadn't gotten the chance to enjoy it no one would have notced it.

In many cases you aren't sueing companies that have raked in the big bucks over the images and content. It certainly costs money to investigate all of this and more money to spend the time to do something about it. Or time that should be money.

It wouldn't be hard at all to be the CD guy and have filtered the business transactions by shipping the CD from out of country and it is all totally legitimate. Back in the day you could get B grade blueprints from Greece on about anything and use them to modify or hack anything. Even complete computer systems if you could read the drawings.

An organization like Getty Images probably began with the legal staff first and the machines to watch where the stuff is posted.

Never the less, I love the dead acres site, don't really find those images to be flagrant black hat operations. I'm even familiar with the Heckles and Switch site because I at and played the little coliapy gaphic over and over and wish that music was available.

It is all blatantly out of control when my charity comes back from the print shop with totally donated posters and there is something from 3 big names in the images on there. The print shop doesn't know, the charity is so happy about their new tool and only those of us familiar with all of these web sites and iconic images know any better. The local customers don't.

It all comes down to no resources at any level, doing something for free with things at their disposal or in my case an occasional skill. The whole thing really quells producing lots of stuff if you can't maintain the credit for it.

Jolly Pumpkin
02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned this website a while ago. It's been online since late August 2007. It's as crazy as Dead Acres is, but if you have a slow connection it will take forever to load or not load at all. Thank God for broadband! Some haunts have a technically impressive website to make up for a poorly organized haunt, but this isn't the case with Dead Acres. Dead Acres has an insane amount of detail and some of the craziest actors and animatronics you'll find in any haunt. It's one of the best hight startle haunts in the country and since 2004 it's gotten tons of press and rightfully so. It's been around for nearly 20 years and deserves all the praise it gets. But technically Dead Acres has only been around since 2003 when The Haunted Hoochie moved in doors.

Jim Warfield
02-17-2008, 05:34 PM
It's not just haunted houses. Years ago a "Watchtower" had alot of stolen images being displayed in it.
"Thou Shalt Not Steal!"
"Whoops!" They forgot or missed that one along the way.