PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, off topic Sad day for Cheeseheads

xxxdirk
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, Favre is done. Sad day on so many levels. Sad that we can not see the joy of a 37 year old loving his carrer. Sad to no longer be able to see someone make a play that NO ONE else would even be able to consider doing. Sad that he is done, reminding all of us that we too are getting older every day. Sad for all us Packer fans that have enjoyed 15 years of having the local pro football team being one of the top teams in the NFL and now looking at the prospect of a very uncertain future.

Ken Spriggs
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
IT's about time!!!!!

xxxdirk
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
LOL, yeah Ken, Now maybe the Bears have a snowballs chance in hell of placing 3rd or so in the NFC central !!

Jordan24
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I thought for sure he'd stick around for a least a couple more years, it seemed for a while like he was never going to retire. I was really hoping that he could have went out on top though. Wonder who his replacement is going to be?

xxxdirk
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
According to him, he knows he can still physically do it, he is just really burnt out mentally, which is kind of funny cause normally athletes say the oposite. They say they mentally know what they should do, their body just gives out on them. As far as Bretts replacement, it is for now Aaron Rogers, who makes me and many Packer fans nervous. I mean he has played like 3 quarters in his carrer and has been hurt a bunch of times. I have a gut feeling though that we have not seen him throw his last ball. I would not be too surprised to see him "unretire" before the 2008 season is through.....

Jordan24
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Who knows, over the past two years I've heard the rumor he was retiring at least once.

'Aron Rogers'? I can't say I've ever heard heard of the guy. On the bright side, the draft is coming up soon. Not sure how high of a pick the Packer's have, maybe they'll make a lucky pick-up.

My Steelers quarterback situation is looking pretty good though. Just signed Big Ben to a 8yr/$102mil.

damon carson
03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear this! He is an amazing athelete. And with them coming so close this year I thought he might stick out one more year?! He will go down as one of many great quarterbacks. What a streak for consecutive starts!!!
Damon

SomeThingInTheIce
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Hay, at least you have some Super Bowls under your belt. my Jags still have yet to get one.

xxxdirk
03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Pack picks around #28 & also #30 and they have a few more, so they can trade up too. They are also 35 million UNDER the NFL Salary cap, so the Pack could spend some money and get a few key players. Thing is the Packer organization does not like to do and trading up or spending so I doubt if they will do that.

Regarding the Packers backup, of course you have never heard of him. I mean Brett played about 99% of the snaps for the past 17 years. If you saw the Dallas game last November, he came in and played the whole second half and did ok, but like I said, it will be REALLY hard to fill in Favres shows, both ecause he was so good, and also cause he played hurt. I can just hear the fans now: "Shoot, Rogers broke his leg in 3 places last night and now is out for the season? What a wimp, Favre had his leg cut off and still played and threw for 5 touchdowns and ran for 1 more against the Bears that one game!!!!" I mean, how would you like to be the player that has to replace a living legend?

Sorry for this topic. I mean I know we should be talking TW here. It is one week away!!

Nicole
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
LOL! I was wondering who from WI was the first to post this! :)

I agree w/Ken - it iS about time! :)

Yes, it is a sad day here in WI...for the majority. I could care less since I'm a Bears fan living here. But - I have a husband in mourning.

The only good I see of it is that my husband's autographed helmet may go up in value now (if his retirement is for good)!

Jim Warfield
03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
As an "old guy" I remember some different "football" versus you younger people.
There was a bench/quarterback who sat on that bench for a long time, anonymous to most of the world, he wasn't a fast runner he didn't seem to have an exceptioanlly strong arm , he was just a warm body on a bench in a uniform. He finally got his chance to play and did pretty well, his name was Bart Starr (Brenda's younger brother?)
Of course times were diferent in the 1950's, atheletes didnot get paid enough to even have an agent, Mike Ditka as starting end for the Bears chanpionship team got something like $20,000 for his annual salary.
Some of the Green Bay linemen would go back to hog farming in the off-season.
"Money" changes alot, Big Money changes everything.

Kevin Dells
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Arronn Who?

It's about time the Pack will be down for awhile.BUT i don't see the Bears getting any better either.

The Bears have one huge problem, they keep their so-so players and let the good ones go!

Thomas Jones last season? Who's the brainchild investing the entire running game into the second string running backs. Did they really think Cedric Benson was going to step up that much!

Then a week ago they let the "Moose " go Musid Mahamad, hey why don't they trade urlacher for two unknowns while their at it!

Im sticking by what iv'e said Bears wise for the past few years, get rid of Ron "short pass predictable" Turner the offensive coordianator, and get a good QB even an older one, all these little kids they keep bringing in that are scared to death to play have got to go!

Nicole
03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Jim - Though we're "youngin's" (sort of) - my husband worships at the altar of Bart Starr, Nitchke (sp), Max McGee, etc, even though they were before his time... I have to give it to them, these Packers fans know their history.

I miss Sweetness (Payton). :(

xxxdirk
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Having been born in 1961, I was around when the Pack had its glory years and I MIGHT have a memory of seeing the ice bowl, but I was really young and its hard to tell if that was a real memory, or just a memory when I was young seeing a replay on TV. When I hit that age that I liked to watch football, 13 or so, the Packers were sucking bad, and I put up with all of that in the 70's and the 80's. Just so hard to believe the run they had in the early 90's til January 20 this year. The one cool thing is I did get to see him play at the stadium many times live and I was at his final game along with my 12 year old kid. What a great thing to be able to tell his kids, huh?
Now we are back to unfamilar waters. I just hope to God, I dont have to wait another 30 years for them to be great again!

MDKing
03-05-2008, 07:22 AM
It shouldn't matter what team you support in this case. When a sport faces a retirement of a player of this magnitude, we all lose! He's a legend and the NFL was better because of his involvement in it.

Allan