PDA

View Full Version : Attention Vendors... You Better Read

drfrightner
03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Did anyone hear about this new policy? I heard you can't exhibit if you don't provide this insurance. Better contact them. After all these years of never being asked for this all of a sudden you do... I don't even get asked for this at the IAAPA show. I don't know how strict this will be but I know its NOT easy to obtain insurance like this and it can be very expensive. I'm trying to let you know this so you don't show up and bam you don't have it and they won't let you in the door. So make sure you contact them!!!!

Larry

CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE All exhibitors at any TransWorld Exhibits show are required to supply a Certificate of Insurance for

general liability; however, please see Cooking & Food demonstrations paragraph for further information

on food sampling.
TransWorld Exhibits, its employees and contractors are not responsible for any loss to exhibitor by

reason of theft, transportation perils, fire, breakage, etc. The International Halloween, Costume &

Party Show requires each exhibitor to carry liability insurance in an amount not less than $1,000,000

bodily injury and property damage combined. Show management requires exhibitors to file a Certificate

of Liability insurance naming the International Halloween, Costume & Party Show and TransWorld

Exhibits as additional insured or as their interest may appear. Exhibitors that will have a vehicle in their

booth must also supply a Certificate of Insurance for Vehicle / Comprehensive General Liability. Please

send all certificates by February 14, 2008, to: TransWorld Exhibits, the International Halloween,
Costume & Party Show, 1850 Oak Street, Northfield, IL 60093, attention Sharon Richards.

Sharon Richards
TransWorld Exhibits Inc.
1850 Oak Street
Northfield, IL 60093
www.tweshows.com
Phone 847-446-8434x222
Toll Free 800-323-5462
Fax 847-446-3523

scattered screams
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
The people that put on the show should be the ones to obtain this type of ins. I've put on car shows before at civic centers and parks and they always make sure I have $1,000,000 liability ins. Your local company should be able to offer this to you, for around 300. -500. But I think the promotor is finding an escape route on this issue, so they dont have any liability for any cause. It also might be the fact with the booths that some have with fire hazards, that they dont want to be responsible.

boneefx
03-05-2008, 12:44 PM
This policy was in effect last year. I'm not sure if it was enforced, but we had to provide proof of the policy. Good thing we already had one for Universal Studios.

drfrightner
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
On a FEW projects I've done I had to obtain this type of insurance before I could step on property, and I think it was Busch Gardens and that was probably the one ones who ever asked for it from us. TW might have had this policy in place last year but to my knowledge it was never enforced at least not with us and the few people I've talked to. Maybe Vegas is more strict I don't know. But I've been to IAAPA and have never supplied this. I think they have a policy on this as well but don't enforce it unless you're setting up a ride, or something that could cause injury. Some of the vendors at IAAPA are setting up these massive rides and stuff and I know they have to do it as well.

Larry

Dman
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Could it be a result of the accident in the Dark Zone that left the lady with the lump on her head? This is another case of the sad state we live in, simply go to tradeshow, attraction, etc and find a flaw, exploit it and $$$$$$$ Yippie......

I am just guessing that this may be a reason, and to insure that they put most of the liability on the venders side....

Dan

bodybagging
03-05-2008, 01:41 PM
It was in effect last year,but not enforced, we were not informed of the requirement until a few days prior to the show, but never asked for proof at the event. I think its bull as well because I feel the event organizers are once again Hosedicking the vendors. RE: ARE YOU SURE THAT THERE WILL BE NO EXTRA EXPENSES? YES MR.JOHNSON, PAY FOR YOUR BOOTH AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO! Lies all LIES!!!!!! BUT in their Defense they do have it in the exhibitor kit that you recieve after you pay for your booth!

Frighteners Entertainment
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
You might like to have insurance Rob. What would happen if you did a make up job on someone in your booth and then they have a reaction to the make up you are using. You are liable even though it was free. Or even if you were walking the floor in your costume, give someone a good scare (even more, you weren't in your own booth) they fall, bump whatever, again, you're liable along with the show.
It's a sue happy world we live in. You need as much protection as possible.
As Jim would put it....Get the largest prophylactic you can handle!:D

bodybagging
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
OH we are completely COVERED this YEAR! Jeff call me!

UndeadProd
03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I believe the injury was a little more serious than a "bump to the head" ...

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/scarehousescott/stitches.jpg

... I also didn't get the impression that the victim was really raising much of a fuss or stink, but perhaps someone here knows more of the story than I do.

- Scott Simmons
http://www.scarehouse.com

03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
This was the injury from last year?

MDKing
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
What happened for her to get hurt?

Allan

MindWerxKMG
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
One of the props activated and caused a lighting stand to fall over. The attached light hit her on the head. I had a couple of drinks with her at the Crowne. She was showing off her staples.

Matt Marich
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
This has been in effect for years, TW just let it slide in Chicago. We are an expo design firm so we already have this kind of insurance to around 10 million I think. We can't do work without it at any expo hall, stadium or facility. Rich Hanf said it best, its the cost of doing business and having a waiver like this with TW named as insured is necessary. Again, this is not new, just more than enforced, besides, if someone should get hurt who will they go after? The little Haunt Compnay or the Sands/TW?

What is going to get interesting is when the union starts showing up and people are using drills to set-up, they can be a pain in the ass if they want to be. All of TW promises will quickly fade away.

lurker
03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I always wondered what that woman said after she had recovered from the initial shock of getting wholloped on the head.
"aaaaaah, Iíll take one them there Pumpkin Kings, and we will call it even."

bodybagging
03-06-2008, 02:23 AM
I can only assume that this is the woman that got beaned by the FlyingDragon prop in the DZ?

03-06-2008, 05:41 AM
I didn't see it happen, but I did see her on the floor.

MDKing
03-06-2008, 05:48 AM
For someone to get hit by the Dragon, they must have crossed their lines to get a closer look, right? They have everything blocked off pretty well, but some people need a closer look I guess....I could see where that would cause some stitches though...OUCH! Glad she wasn't hurt too seriously.

Allan

Barry
03-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I was there when it happened and, while I do not know exactly what caused it, she did nothing wrong. One of the lights mounted on a tripod fell over and hit her in the head. She ended up with five staples.

I ended up speaking with her later that day and more extensively at HauntCon. Her mother and her were here from England and both very nice people. Unfortunately the names escape me now.

Monster-Tronics
03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
As others said, it was required last year and was documented in the 500 pages of crap they make you wade through. Maybe some of you didnít do your homework like good little boys! lol

Read the fine printÖ all 500 pages worthÖ

Just one of the reasons why I am focusing on the other shows like Hauntcon and MHC, TW does not make it easy for vendors thatís for sure.

P.S. For you haunt owners out there, donít blow all of your budget at TW, we have lots of cool new stuff coming out this year!!!

Regards,
Jeff Londos
Monster-Tronics
Innovators in Haunt Technologies
www.Monster-Tronics.com

drfrightner
03-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Jeff,

I think you get more bang for your buck with TW than any other show from the pure standpoint its a buyers show. This is NOT to say you don't get bang for the buck at other shows but clearly TW brings in the most people, and people bring big check books.

However, I do agree with you, I don't like these hoops either. I told them in an email ... who has time to read through all that stuff? YOu never asked me for it in the past so why now? This girl getting hurt says a lot. Transworld can be sued.

So I do understand, but for years you don't need and now you do, its extra cost that I don't want to pay.

Oh well.. the show must go on!

Larry

lurker
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Her being English probably explains why she didn't sue. The English don't seem quite as SUE HAPPY as we yanks do.

Monster-Tronics
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Larry,

I donít have a problem with the insurance, I think if you have a business you should have it since it is a sue happy world these days.

After vending at other shows I guess I was spoiled since they made it easy to do so, TW did not. Last year was the first time vending at TW and with all of the misinformation and nickel and dime expenses and grief they gave me I just could not go back as a vendor this year.

TW was a good show for me as far as sales and exposure but I did double the amount of sales at Hauntcon at ľ the expense and zero grief.

I was disappointed to hear you were not going to run ďThe best of TW 2007Ē story in Hauntworld Mag because I think Monster-Tronics would have pulled at least 4 of the categories from your post I saw. I was truly humbled at TW when at least a dozen people came up to me and said I had some of the coolest and the most innovative products at the show. That was definitely the best thing I could ever wish to hear for the customers and made going to the show worth it for me. There were some really awesome stuff/companies at the show and to hear that blew me away.

It is probably a mistake not vending there this year but Iíve been busting balls on a lot of stuff that would not be ready in time anyway and will have some big announcements coming very soon.

Regards,
Jeff Londos
Monster-Tronics
Innovators in Haunt Technologies
www.Monster-Tronics.com

drfrightner
03-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I was given this number by Transworld

Kendra A. Reilly
http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/mhtml:{EF635B1C-3C5D-4B64-82DF-B83C7E82CF5F}mid://00000766/!x-usc:cid:031264315@27022008-2269
125 Park Avenue, third floor
New York, NY 10017
Phone: 212-697-1010 ext. 49
Fax: 212-504-8084
Email: kar@buttine.com (mhtml:{EF635B1C-3C5D-4B64-82DF-B83C7E82CF5F}mid://00000766/!x-usc:blocked::mailto:kar@buttine.com)
Website: www.buttine.com (mhtml:{EF635B1C-3C5D-4B64-82DF-B83C7E82CF5F}mid://00000766/!x-usc:blocked::http://www.buttine.com/)

TW says about $150.00

drfrightner
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Jeff,

We will do just what you suggested... if I could do this magazine full time I would do that and everything you can imagine. I will get to it... your stuff is amazing no doubt. Larry