PDA

View Full Version : Coffin Pictures!!!

Mr. Haunt
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Well the coffin is complete for the most part. I might paint it yet, but I still need to add handles.

I know off the bat you can see some flaws. I will say that I learned a lot doing this project and had fun doing it. It took me 4 days to finish. I of course did not spend all day working on it. I think considering that I did this project by myself and having never built a coffin before, I am proud. My dad helped with the angles, however those were not a 100% either.

I will show one picture I have from my yard haunt. I will admit I am a bit shy posting this picture. It does not compare to the talent that is on this forum. Trust me, if I could spend more to add more things I would do so. I spend about $100 each year to add to what I have; sometimes itís just one thing or a bunch of small items. I also do all of this on my own to. There were a few things that I did not get out do to windy conditions, so this last year was a bit of a disappointment. What it is I have to add to my cemetery, adds to the overall look and feel. Oh and that is not me in the picture. This is a friend of mine that acted for me. This to was a disappointment, I thought there were going to be older kids to scare, but to my dismay, they were mostly young kids.

But at any rate I still have a good plan for a wood casket that will take the cake. I am not sure though when this will be built.

Mr. Haunt

Mr. Haunt
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
One other thing, the coffin bolts together for easy storage.

Mr. Haunt

neffuri27
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Greg Chrise
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I never thought of that kind of lid holdy openny thing.

Jim Warfield
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I am 99% sure there were some old coffins that used short pieces of thick rope for their handles. Holes could be drilled , rope inserted , knots tied on the inside ends of the rope to keep them from pulling out.
Or metal straps wrapped tightly around the rope ends then bolt the steel straps to the coffin sides with rope ends taped with electrical tape.
Sometimes there may be kitchen cabinent handles on sale cheap at a home center that have a "coffin" look to them.

Mr. Haunt
03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Greg,

The lid holder does not work the way I thought it would. In the pictures the wall is whats holding the lid. I am not sure that the lid holder will hold the weight of the lid. I am going to add a chane to the top section of the coffin and lid to help hold the weight.

Jim, thanks for the rope idea! I will look into both ideas.

Mr. Haunt

Mr. Haunt
03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I am not surprised anyone commented on my Halloween picture, but I will say this to who ever whants to read.

There is not much there, but I am the only person in the area that does up their house for Halloween. Thus the kids LOVE IT----NO JOKE! I had someone take pictures this last year.

It looks better at night with fog and lights.

Mr. Haunt

Jim Warfield
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
My house, The Ravens Grin Inn, has been featured on the cover of national magzines (National Geographic World) yet the mayor of this little town once said in an on camera interview that my house looks better "in the dark"!
I replied that he looks better in the dark too! Real dark. No moon at all. No streetlights.
Boogie is in the eye of the Bee holder, then you get stung!

Mr. Haunt
03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Jim, I have been to your web site. Your home looks cool, I hope to maybe a trip to your place some time might be in order.

I have never been to Illionois, but I hope to go to Chicago and check out the city.

You don't have much pictures on your site, but I can see why. You keep everything low key so when people come to check out your place, it's more of a WOW facter.

I would like to do a little haunted trail around though the back of the house. Our house has a bit of a wooded section that has a nice path through it, but mom's garden is all over the backyard so what ever goes on back there has to be away from the nice flowers. There is also a garden shed in the corner of the wooded part of the back yard to would make a great place for an actor to come out.

But there also lacks other places for a scare or two. But who knows, I might be able to come up with something her in there.

Problem with that though is the younger age of kids.

Mr. Haunt

Greg Chrise
03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
The one I made that is known as the "guest bedroom" has a full length piano hinge and a chain to stop the lid. The handles are from a wooden fence and come in brass or nickel finish.

I have not yet done one with so many boards as yours. If you could stain it a grey color that would show up nicely. I have always wanted to chop one at a weird angle and have the halves look like they are coming up out of the ground. Yours might look cool just with a bright red light shining through all the joints?

The other fun thing about coffins is they become storage crates for all the props and figures.

Mr. Haunt
03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Greg,

Neet idea with the lights. One reason why I chose this wood was because it was .84 cents for 6 feet of 1x4. So the wood was about $28.00. Of course I was in a bit of a hurry when I was picking out pieces, so not all are flat. Some are twisted a little and some warp here and there.

That is one lesson I learned, but who knows back in the 1800-1900's coffins were built perfect. They did not have the tools we do, and when you died then, you were stuck in the hole the same day.

I did think about going to town with an axe to a coffin, but then I would have a bunch of sharp pieces of wood. I also would not need a coffin in a bunch of pieces either.

You could make a coffin a leave some pieces missing or by the most twisted lumber you could find and use them.

I still want to do some kind of haunt this year. Just need to find a good CHEAP place to do it. I have this itch I need to scratch, I just can't reach it. LOL

I was hoping to find someone on this forum in Minnesta that would be interested in starting something. But know one has said anything.

Mr. Haunt