PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT...Television Show

drfrightner
03-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Okay folks here is some big news for you...

Several haunt owners last year hired a television production crew to work with us to produce a television show for a MAJOR cable network. We have made no mention of this show until now. The reason we are now releasing this information is because we'll have one of the main producers of the show at the Transworld show shooting footage for the final edit of the show.

The haunts involved in producing this show, have decided as a group that we don't want this show to be just about our haunts, but we want the show to be about HOW AWESOME our industry really is.

We decided to include the opening 6 minutes of the show about the haunt industry, and there is no better place to do that than at Transworld Halloween Show. We will be filming at the show, and will interviewing vendors who're willing to be part of our show.

We are also interested in interviewing some haunts, haunted figures, vendors and more.

If you want your vendor booth on our show, if you want to be interviewed please let us know so we can put you on the interview agenda.

We will be shooting on the show floor with Transworld blessing on Tuesday. We will conduct some of the interviews on Tuesday just after the show as well.

The show will air on national television this coming October on a MAJOR cable network. I've seen bits and pieces of the show and its awesome!

The show's purpose is to PROMOTE HOW awesome going to haunted houses really is... this is just ONE MORE STEP towards promoting the haunted house industry to the WORLD!

I'm telling you right now... we're on a MISSION!

This isn't some drop in the bucket show, its a six figure budget production!

You'll love it and what it will do to promote this industry. When people work together for the common good of all anything can happen!

Let us know if you have interest. Again Tuesday at the show.

Larry

bodybagging
03-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Larry, count BodyBag crew in, IF NOT, You wont be able to get any footage AT ALL, without The KROW RESSURECTION Costume Bouncing into every single segment....HEH
Scuze me Pardon me coming thru, scuze me , Pardon me, Bounce bounce!

graystone
03-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Thats what I been preaching the Mission of this Industry and I LOVE IT, There like I have mentioned are neagatives but the good sooooooooooooooooooooooo out shines the bad. I am sure as a fighter for honesty that everyone to be treated fair and with respect you will want Shane aka Graystone to tell. Or does that "Scare" you? I mean I do know what a awsome orginization we have and just as much as I preach the bad would be more than willing to show the positive. I for sure want you to comment on this. I will be waiting. As will my haunt fans here.

drfrightner
03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Shane,

I'm expecting you join the new HHA today... I want you as a member more so than anyone else. You'll help keep everyone on the straight and narrow! LOL.

here is a link to join... http://hauntedhouseassociation.org/join.htm

You will get a buyers guide, vendor discounts, magazine subscription and much more.

Larry

MMManiac
03-11-2008, 07:45 AM
awesome news larry.

another fine example on how your trying to promote the haunt industry as a whole...

thanks for your hard work!

xxxdirk
03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Wow, that is pretty cool. Thanks Larry!

drfrightner
03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks so much, but I can hardly take all the credit. There are several haunters who ponied up the money to produce this show. I actually had the idea that we should do it but everyone really put their two cents in. I had the production company all picked out, but the costs got a bit out of control. Randy Bates was the one who actually found the production company to produce the show. All of the haunts involved really had great idea's, and did more work than I did.

To be honest the person who really deserves 99% of the CREDIT is Ben Armstrong. Ben is a workhorse, who really cares about EVERYONE in this industry and does his best to help.

Ben really kind of spearheaded the whole thing once the idea was in place and once everyone was on board. Ben is an amazing fellow!

Like I was saying the budget on this thing is north of 6 figures once its all done... its VERY VERY VERY creative, and VERY original, and VERY cool!

The people who funded this project are Rodney Geffert, Dwayne Sandburn, Billy and Ben, Halloween Prodouctions, Randy Bates, The Jubies, and Erebus. Its a group effort. And its really unselfish of everyone in this group to pay even more money out of their own pocket to send the crew to Vegas to talk to haunters, vendors and highlight many in the industry.

Once its done you'll be proud to be a haunter.

I remember way back when then the VP of IAHA, said something like 'we're one step below carnival workers'. Meaning haunters are one step below carnival workers in the respect chain of the amusement industry. I took offense to that big time, and wrote about in my magazine.

I though NO association should say that about an industry they claim to represent much less the VP of it...

If I had been the president of the association at that time I would have instantly demanded for that person to step down.

This national publicity efforts we've taken on, or this television show, or everything between is about CHANGING America's perception about what we do, who we are, and gaining some damn respect for ourselves.

I can tell you for years Radio stations would say to me... we can't give you credit because you're a haunted house. I got sick of hearing that one year, and said to those radio stations... then SCREW OFF! They thought I would give in, one week turned into two, to a month, then my haunted house opened, and here they came knocking on my door offering me net 30.

As for myself I've never looked back...

Larry

xxxdirk
03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
There are so many in this industry that are trying to make haunting a real professional thing. Be it Ben, Larry, to Tatoo and the gang from Bad Boys that are helpig show how to create great sets, to Hanf who I learned so much from his LIVING DEAD LIVE DVDs to G Beck and the Guys from Bodybagging with their DVDs on make up. Times have really changed from when all you had to do to have a haunt was throw on a rubber mask and put up a few plastic sheets for walls. This is the information age and I am really greatful for all anyone does to improve the industry or help the world realize that this is a legitamite form of art.....

poison
03-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Adam is in for the interview. POISON HALLOWEEN PROPS. Booth #8720.

hauntedfarm
03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey, Larry if haunts are needed you can count in "The Haunted Farm" Pleasantville, OH for interview.
Kim :)

UndeadProd
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
The fight for respect really requires a constant amount of effort and education. When talking with advertisers, potential sponsors, marketing partners, etc - I find that there are still many misconceptions that have to be dealt with.

For example, all ScareHouse actors must be 18 or older and most underwent some kind of audtion/interview process. They range in age from mid-20's to mid-40's, and a significant amount of our cast - particularly in Screamatorium - were well over 6 feet/200 pounds. And yet people still ask me things like - "Where do you find the kids that work for you?" or "so you just get volunteers from the high schools?"

Once people experienced the haunt, or saw the footage online or on air, most of those questions went away... but getting people to see that footage or experience the haunt definitely required lots of time and money in marketing and PR.

Any kind of national exposure (particularly when it's connected to a high-end production) is usually a good thing. It makes my job easier when I can reference the USA today article, the GMA story, the Travel Channel shows, etc.

Like it or not, I think we are fighting many years of bad behavior and low expectations (both as a business and as entertainment)

To be blunt, there have been - and continue to be - haunted attraction owners and promoters who are hurting our reputations and relationships with local media and advertisers.

Many radio stations refuse to offer haunted houses credit or net 30 strictly because of past experiences with other haunted attractions and seasonal events. Just in my own market I know of 3 attractions that opened, had a rough season, then failed to pay their marketing bills. I can't totally blame the radio stations for being hesitant when you ask for net 30. They've been burned before, and it may take a season or two before you can earn their trust.

I'm not blaming or criticizing any fellow haunter for having a bad season or making bad business decisions - we all know this is a rough way to make a buck - but skipping bills and ripping off businesses plays right into the media's perceptions .... and hurts us all.

graystone
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I bet you say that to all the Buyers " I WANT YOU MORE THAN ANYONE" Anyway as far as filming and things go I was being scrcastic. I hate doing interviews as I do not do them here ( my haunt)I always get someone else to do it. I am better at bitching and keeping our Buyers Safe dont get me wrong I will take up for the Sellers too if I feel they have been done wrong. Remember its a 2 way street!

elowther
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
The question should be, what haunt wouldn't want to be interviewed for a project like this? Even 10 seconds on a show like this could bring huge exposure just by being associated with it. We are still a very small haunt but would be willing to be interviewed if you wanted us. Thanks to all involved in this project! There's no better time to be involved in the haunt industry.

Eric

Nightgore
03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Larry,

I don't know how far this show is from being done... but I think it would have been cool to involve the industry in EVERY aspect of the show. I think if you incorporate people like Virgil, MS, Elswarro, myself (had to),... and others in the video editing, music/theme creation, etc. this show would be a full industry effort!

I can't wait to see this... since it'll be on TV, will a DVD be available for purchase? Sounds good Larry... I'm excited. -Tyler

grossparts
03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey Larry we are new but we at GrossParts.Com booth #8118 would love to be interviewed. We have some new products to show at Transworld and could use the exposure, thanks in advance.

Jeff

SomeThingInTheIce
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Like NightGore, I would like to know if this will come out on dvd? I don't have cable. Man, this Halloween is going to be awsome!

icarian
03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
its going to be nice to see this once its done. Whenever i tell people what i do with my free time (prop building, sculpting, etc.) i get scoffed at and told that im wasting my time and money doing it. People in my area have very low expectations when they go to a haunt because there is no one in the area that puts on a decent show. Haunts in general here are black plastic walls and party city masks. there was ONE haunt here last year that had an animation.... thats right, one haunt had ONE animation, the Distortions Electric Chair... and the thing was so banged up and mistreated that it wasnt even functioning, just making a lot of noise from the broken pnumatics.... and that was sitting in the middle of a corn field... no theming, no logic, no scares.... thats what people expect in my area.... so hopefully this show will shed a little light as to how the industry runs as a whole, bad apples excluded.

Also hoping this will get ME a little more exposure, even though i wont even be featured (not going to vegas this year), the local haunts may consider purchasing from me this year if things pan out the way i hope. Im also hoping i can get in with the larger haunt and form a sort of partnership to beta test my first few animations over the next couple seasons, before i offer them up to the industry as a whole.

heres to crossing our skeletal fingers and best of luck with the rest of production!!!

Nicole
03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Larry,

You guys ROCK! Tthis is probably the best way to get the word/PR out about how cool this industry is. Yes, there's been some coverage in USA Today and other papers but a TV show that's going to get renewed airplay on a major TV cable network is something that people will take notice and see more.

It seems every year, Cable TV channels like Travel and Discovery are adding more and more Halloween and HAUNT-related shows into their programming line up in late September through October. With guys like you and Ben leading this project we know this is going to be something to be proud of - I CANNOT WAIT to see this next fall - this will be TiVo'ed for sure at our house!!! :)

twohlgemuth
03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Larry,

I would be glad to be involved with this as a new vendor.

Thanks to all the haunt owners that paid for this!

Jim Warfield
03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
That whole "Carnival worker" statement does seem to ring true as far as the carnies I have known. Haunters do rank below them, at least in the success rate of acquiring numerous sexual conquests while working at your job.
"Hey there Girly!" Nobody in your hometown wants anything to do with you?
Here comes the carnival!!!
It's your lucky night!

So this production crew isn't just some kid with his new video camera?
Hope not.
To truly capture the human look and frightful feel of the haunted attraction experience will require time, talent and skill with the lighting and of course a real "Eye" for it all.
As Scoobie would say:"Rots of Ruck!"

drfrightner
03-21-2008, 12:49 AM
I wanted to thank everyone who helped us with the video. We interviewed several vendors from Ghost Ride to Wayne Toth to Rich Hanf to you name it.

We got a lot of footage from several booths.

Once the show is done we'll let you know...hoping to have this completed by May 1st. The show will be on a MAJOR cable outfit.

Can't say just yet, but this will really make the haunt industry shine!

Larry

brad
03-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I cant wait to find out what station this will be on! I already cant wait for Halloween to role around, and this is one more reason for that.