PDA

View Full Version : Is this wrong?

Mr. Haunt
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I was thinking, I know thats a bad thing LOL. I was wondering, is it wrong to accept donations to start a professional haunted attraction at a yard or home haunt?

Mr. Haunt

elowther
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I did that very thing. I approached a charity, the SPCA and offered to do a 50/50 split. I would run the yard haunt, accept donations and split the profits. That money gave me the boost I needed to keep improving the haunt and after 3 years I was ready to go commercial. Even though I sold tickets this year I still had a donation box at the end of the haunt for the SPCA and it did really well. I also got tons of free press because I was helping out the charity. Check out how small I started on my home haunt archives on the site. Doing the charity thing gives you credibility and people tend to give more. I don't know if this will work in every part of the country. I hope this helps but you still need to run your operation like a pro haunt with insurance and permits if you are planning to have loads of people through your event.

Eric

SomeThingInTheIce
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I was taking donations for three years didn't do bad but spent more money then I took in. It's a good way to off set the cost and get your feet wet. It sure worked for elowther and his amazing Haunt OverLoad.