PDA

View Full Version : Make up artist pay scale

Darkangel
04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I was told that there was a thread a while back about this, but I didn't know how far back. I was curious to know what everyone pays for their make up artists? For those that only apply make up before you open your shows, what type of pay scale is usually expected?

Thank you,
Darkangel

shredman
04-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Usually it depends on the artist. We pay our artist about 20.00 a night. Is this what you wanted to know?

bodybagging
04-05-2008, 03:18 PM
For 20 dollars a night, you couldnt get me to stop laughing long enough to put makeup on anyone.....
Now for the record allow me to throw this out there.... FX MAKEUP can make or break a show, Ive said it before, for any shows that do not pay their artists what they are worth.................. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

xxxdirk
04-05-2008, 03:39 PM
It seems pay would depend on the quailty of work and length of time that the artist works. For example, a beginner artist who just throws a little latex on the people and maybe some basic grease makeup and blood and is there for 1-2 hours before the haunt opens should not expect to be paid much. However, If you get a top notch artist who is busting thier butt for 3-4 hours before the doors opens and is doing some top of the line work like Geoff Beck or Jason from Bodybagging, should get paid well. If the artist is also acting at night, they should be paid for their acting AND for the makeup jobs imho....

bodybagging
04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey whos this Jason guy at Bodybagging? LOL

The Last paid gig I got as a FX artist, I made 5000 for the season, during my time there I not only did the FX, I also trained the Actors to do their own FX, before the end of the season, I wasnt really needed.

shredman
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
We aren't a huge haunt we don't need to charge them to much. They do a great job. It usually only takes them 45 minutes to do all the actors. I was just saying how much I paid mine.

bodybagging
04-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Shredman, wasnt anything personal towards you, but I think that FX artists are the most underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, members, of the Haunt community.

hauntedhousenut
04-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree, 20 is way to low, I think the going rate for a makeup artist at a highend haunt would be a minimum of 150.

Killer Katie
04-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Rob - I wholeheartedly agree!! I myself have NEVER been paid what I'm worth, ever. It sucks. And I'm a pretty good makeup artist, if I don't say so myself! I would pass out to make $5000 per season. I was the cast manager, bookkeeper, actor and head make up artist and made a hell of a lot less than that... I was hosed! LOL

Darkangel
04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, thanks guys that really brought out several different thoughts and opinions. Our person we're considering is someone who enjoys applying make up, does a decent job, but by no means a professional. I think these days there are some people who know a few simple techniques and try to pass themselves off as fx artists expecting fx artist rates, at least this is what I have been told. A true artist deserves more, but the vast majority of haunts can not afford what they are worth I would think....

So, do you normally set up your payment on a nightly or weekly time table, or a flat sum for the season's work?

Thanks everyone,
Darkangel

PS: Jason(Bodybagging) I would love to see some samples of your work. Is there a site for me to see? Thanks!

TheNightMare
04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
PS: Jason(Bodybagging) I would love to see some samples of your work. Is there a site for me to see? Thanks!

Check it out, Well worth it - 2008 Xtreme Haunt FX DVD by BodyBag Entertainment

Check there website out and click on sales then misc http://www.bodybagging.com/

SpookywoodsFX.com
04-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I was told that there was a thread a while back about this, but I didn't know how far back. I was curious to know what everyone pays for their make up artists? For those that only apply make up before you open your shows, what type of pay scale is usually expected?

Thank you,
Darkangel

Ultimately, it comes down to what it's worth to you as a haunt owner. What do you want your guests to see as they walk through your attraction? You could pay the kid next door to paint faces or hire a professional. If you hire a professional you need to look at his portfolio and have him/her show you in advance with a demo or two. I've seen too many people try to pass themselves off as "make up artists" after making a black eye and a burn on their arm. What are they able to bring to your attraction, just make up? Original props or masks? Fresh ideas and character designs for your scenes? A professional make up artist will, more than likely, know that a haunt isnt going to pony up what he or she may be worth but if income/work is what's needed at the time, they may just strike a deal.
You can only offer what you can offer but if you can't offer what the artist is worth, at least appreciate the work that they do. Consider yourself fortunate if you're able to even find an artist. Trust me, the wrong thing to say to your make up artist is that they are a dime a dozen :roll:
It would be interesting to see what some of these haunted attraction owners actually pay their artists.

Darkangel
04-06-2008, 05:50 AM
I agree, I guess if the make up artist can prove he/she is really good it would be worth paying a little more. If they are just starting out, it would seem to be a good opportunity for them to build up some work for their portfolio I would think...
I would love to hear some more numbers from haunters....

Darkangel

bodybagging
04-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Darkangel be sure to check references and portfolios, and then actual makeup work, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen portfolios doctored up... got to love Photoshop! and then also those guys that just straight up steal pictures of others work. When looking for a a artist find someone that is willing to teach your crew as well.........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/bodybagging/HPIM1306.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/bodybagging/IMG_6908.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/bodybagging/AllAboutAParty200717.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/bodybagging/websiteatbaby.jpg

screamline studios
04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey there darkangel, i know you posted this as a question but as a make up artist it would be a slap in my face to here a price that doesnt fit the talent .A make up artist is like a good doctor it takes many many years to perfect your craft, alot of schooling whether its though a institution or teaching yourself, It takes hundreds of hours to be a good makeup artist and hundreds more to be great!!! All i can say is you get what you pay for, if you land a good makeup artist for a very very good rate than you are very lucky.

Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Darkangel
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Jason, I understand what you mean, but for most haunts I doubt they could compensate a good artist what they are worth, ad tey probably know that. I would also think the haunt owner doesn't compensate himself/herself what they are worth verses what they put into it.

So Jason, you said if you can snag a good artist for a very good rate, what in your opinion is a good rate?

Thanks a lot,
Darkangel

MMManiac
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
at our haunt, our makeup artist are volunteers just like everyone else. They still bust their butts and do a great job. In return we do send them to makeup classes in orlando and vegas and what not.

sean

Jim Warfield
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Only a very small percentage of artists ever make a living doing their art. So art becomes something like a haunted house for most people, you do it because you like doing it.
I once read that only 5% of the population really have artistic talent and of that 5% only one half of one percent Every make a living at it. The rest are relegated to the lower status of a hobbiest or weekend art fair booth exhibitor. A college degree might help open a few doors for employment but you may not be doing your art, but you will be getting a paycheck doing "art" as defined by your employer.

Just like the mind needs several years to shake off the effects of serving in the military, it often takes several years to shake off the influences of college art training to re-find "yourself" and the art that fulfills you.

Matt Marich
04-06-2008, 07:16 PM
At a local major theme ;park haunt here, the artist oversaw about 75 make-ups and was paid around $ 10,000.00. But he fully designed concepts and really put a lifetime of hours in. Your right Rob, costuming and Make-up are a major part of your show, it either makes the characters real or costume store phoney! It also helps create a personna for the actor so he or she doesn't run around going GRRRR all night long.

Jim Warfield
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I always thought an actor going "GGGRR" was from a costume that fit too tight , especially in certain areas of the anatomy.
Or else it was "acting", probably faux-constipation.

Doing such incredible make up and original costuming really would create another level of the whole experience for the majority of the customers.

screamline studios
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
What i am about to say is by no means a slap in anyones face!!! I have spent over $20.000 in trying to be a great makeup artist, MANY UPON MANY hours just practicing to even go beyond the norm . I personally do not always get what i think i may deserve , but sometimes i give a little just because i believe in a certain project or a specific venue, also the more people you work with the more your name gets around .But for the most part i gravitate towards the upper end haunted attractions because i know they have the budget to allow for trained talent, again i love all haunts(keep that in mind) so why shouldnt trained talent receive what they put in???? By no means am i trying to say how great i am , however i am trying to make everyone understand there is definetly a price to pay for talent!!! DO any of you haunt owners spend more on the actors that you feel have unbelievable talent, or spend the money on a great advertising company, or a great set designer, all of these factor in to a great haunted attraction,so with that said the make up artist has its place and i guess it depends on the budget and the owner to see what is best for there attraction. boy oh boy am i rambling!!!

Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

bodybagging
04-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Jason, you are not rambling, PointBlank, you are making a point. Its a VALID POINT.
DarkAngel if your event pulls in 20,000 + visitors a season then you can afford to pay a FX artist what they are worth for a season. Again my last pay was 5000.00 for a local gig, Had it been out of state, you would have had to pay for expenses as well.
If your Event pulls in 3000- visitors a season then you cannot afford to pay a FX artist what they are worth, and if you get a good one you better make sure they know that you appreciate the fact that they are basically giving away their talent to better your EVENT.

drfrightner
04-07-2008, 06:11 AM
If there are ANY make up artist out there who are looking for a job call me...I'm looking to hire you!!!

Larry

Finnegan
04-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Let me break it down according to other industries, if it may help:

$8/hour = $16,000 year (Fivebucks Coffee Barista)
$10/hour = $20,000 year (Best Buy Sales Rep.)
$20/hour = $40,000 year (Computer Networking Technician)
$30/hour | $5,000/Season = $60,000 year (Entry Level Computer Programmer)

It's all based on the who, what, where, when. I think that several people are overworked, underpaid and underglorified but you have an equal amount that are overhyped, over paid and underworked primadonnas (NO insinuations about anyone on here). That is just a basic pay scale to keep in mind of the big picture. The numbers are somewhat arbitrary since it is seasonal work, those are just to put you on par with what they'd be making if it were full time.

Jim Warfield
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I had an unemployed brother-in-law living with me who proclaimed "I will never work for less than $45,000 a year!"
Then he jumped at a job paying $8.00 an hr.!?
Ever since the common practice of wearing shoes became popular alot of people are suddenly found "wanting" when it comes to basic math skills.

SpFXChic
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Shredman, wasnt anything personal towards you, but I think that FX artists are the most underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, members, of the Haunt community.

Amen to that, brother!

dr0zombie
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
First: Larry I'll email ya... I didn't get down to your place last year as there was that whole end of Creatures Crypt thing..... Your place would be FUN!!!!!!

Second: I LOVE the FX makeup job. That said, I think makeup artists are a tough call for a haunted event. I looked at what it would take to be the local haunted house owner and you know what, it is a PAIN IN THE BUTT. LOL ....There is so much involved I can see where often makeup is just not in the budget in a way people really want it to be. I doubt most haunt owners don't want to have some great makeup artist giving them incredible work. They just don't have the time or budget for it after all the "must have" work is done.

Are "FX artists are the most underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, members, of the Haunt community." HELL YES!!! But what can you do.... you already have a day job. :)

screamline studios
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, there have been some very interesting posts here. I specifically appreciate the post by the person who was savvy enough to compare what "we" do with other very over-worked under-paid "professions" out there. I respect his understanding that "we" are not the only "ones" out there who work very hard, but feel "unappreciated" by our "employers." So, as you can see I pick my words carefully-the word employer in the haunted attraction industry can mean many different things. It can mean the guy who is out there to make a "quick" buck by having over-prized tickets to a show filled with kids in masks, or "blue" raccoon-eyed looking makeups worn by a bunch of kids screaming their lungs out. Or-hopefully- the word employer means a guy (or lady) who knows great makeup when they see it and understands (like my friend Jason Blaszczak mentioned earlier) the amount of time (many years) it takes to become a great makeup artist. A haunt owner can expect a local person who has shown loyalty towards their haunt (doing set building, design, makeup, etc.) and has been around for a year or two to do makeup for free, and that "artist" should feel happy with that-for they are building their skills, and ability. Then, there are makeup artists out there with say about 3-6 years of experience, that can charge anywhere from $7.00 to $9.00 an hour for about 2-3 hours each night helping out in the makeup room. Depending on the size and budget of the haunt, they could even charge a flat rate-like $50.00 per night given their responsibility. Yes, the main motivation is to "do what you love", and being a actor as much as a makeup artist myself, I truly understand the emotional frustration that exists in weighing our "talent" with our "worth" in the choice we make in where we decide to work. Having said this, I am now talking about the makeup artists who have at least 10 years of solid training/experience under their belt, and have worked in many different haunts(not just one). These makeup artists have (hopefully) several years of experience being a makeup coordinator at different haunts where they were in charge of running a makeup crew, and know how to schedule and handle time-management of many different artists and can keep the quality up to it's highest standard while collectively still turning out anywhere from 30-50 actors each night. These individuals usually charge a "blanket" fee for the whole season to the haunt owners and may even get travel expenses paid for as well. Again, based on the haunt, the budget, and the passion of the makeup artist, the fee can be several thousand dollars for a whole season. Also, doing seminars a month or so before haunt season is common place where (depending on how long), several hundred dollars per seminar can be paid by the haunt owner. Yes, this is not your normal nine-to-five "job", and it is seasonal, but if a makeup artist has proven himself and his reputation for many years to different owners familiar with their work, they can be in the position that they are booked a year or more in advance to the haunt of their choosing.

Geoff Beck
Makeup Artist/Actor

bodybagging
04-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Well said Geoff, now stop hacking jasons account , and get your own!

Killer Katie
04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
After reading all of the posts, I come to a few basic conclusions.
1. You get what you pay for, unless you luck out and get talent for peanuts.
2. Check out the artist, make them do makeup in front of you (as the BS in a biz like ours in neck deep)
3. In this day and age - multi task, make yourself worth more by doing more.
4. Haunt owners - teach yourself how to be an artist and you'll get it for free. And realize that the consumers of today have high standards (thanks to CGI in movies in my opinion) and bad makeup can really crap out an event.

And a side note - actually talk to the people that your artist/actor has worked for. As we all know in any profession, a resume can be enhanced to make someone out to be more than they are. I have been BS'd inthe past and wow did that cause me twice as much work and three times as much headache!
And tell the makeup artist up front what you can and can't pay them, then it's their decision if they want the job or not!
The thing that sucks is that it is a buisness, and in these times budgets can suck.
That's my summation, and I'm sticking to it!

dr0zombie
04-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Time to play a little devils advocate.....

Lets not get carried away and imply that there are not great makeup artists out there that are new to this. Guys, where do you think YOU came from!! :D We all train new artists every year and find gems in the crews we work with. Hell, my 12 year old daughter had a slumber party and I did their makeup Wolfe Brothers style to go. One of her friends could copy that damn Wolfe Brothers book perfectly in like 10 minutes a face for each face she tried. First time.... my daughter just replied... oh, she is just like that when it comes to art... LOL....... Anywho, my point is there is new talent all over the place. Lets give experience its credit but accept that you can find gems too.

Haunt owners need to decide if they want to take the risk of finding new talent or paying for a seasoned pro. I guess that is my way of saying the same thing as the last post....

Just wanting to play another side to this soundtrack..... ;)

Had to edit this.... speaking of experience... that video BodybaG did was great. Geoff, the quality of build up with the wash that was done on you was VERY cool. My favorite thing I think I have ever seen done in a haunt makeup video. That entire DVD is a GEM!!!!

screamline studios
04-13-2008, 12:25 AM
hey DR0zombie,

You are ten thousand and twenty billions percent right about some great rookie make up artists however, the new guys and gals do it out of passion and lust of the craft and at that point it is not a buisness because they are willing to give away ther talent . if a haunt owner or a manager does not do make up its because they cant, or are to busy with everything else, so at that point every brush stroke and every drop of blood, or tootheffects you apply on someone should be worth something right!!!! and i am not talking about a couple bucks either(i speak from my own past, allowing people to just walk all over me because i let the love i wanted stand before a decent pay) So the newbees in my eyes need to work there way up the food chain and at that point , they should recieve the money they deserve . I can honestly say there is nothing better than haunted houses but it really grinds my ass when i see haunt owners walk all over there talent like they dont mean a damn thing.

Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Transfusion Tom
04-13-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm not a make-up artist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.....

Jim Warfield
04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Tom, the subject is make -up not make -out artist.

As I was carrying my one bag and my video camera to my motel room late one night in Nashville suddenly a man appeared inside "my" room and began screaming through the window at me!?
I could have been shot holding that video camera right outside "someone else's" room, the desk clerk had screwed up, they gave me a different room, the lights were on in the second room, nobody there but wet towels on the floor and bed !
Double booking in a motel room late at night can become very interesting and possibly fatal, watch out!

geoffgbeck
04-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Just a clarification to DrZombie a few posts ago. I want to preface this post by saying that I understand that you were playing devil's advocate, so please understand that I am doing the same. Having said this, I can't speak for others, but as far as your interpretation of some comments made earlier in this thread as us implying "that there are not great makeup artists out there that are new to this" is not necessarily fair. At least from my point of view I can tell you that I never said or implied that. That was then..... now, I will honestly ask you to please define what a "great makeup artist" means to you and would also like to see five photos of that new makeup artist's work. I can tell you that if I show you five photos of a makeup artist with 7 or more years of experience, I guarantee that all of a sudden your definition of a "great makeup arstist" would change. I don't mean to sound arrogant here, but in my opinion from my experience doing makeup over 15 years now, your barometer of what qualifies as a "great" makeup changes drastically over time. The makeups I did my first year were challenging and made me grow, but if I showed you photos of them now I would honestly be embarrassed, and none of them fall into the "great" category. I personally have not met anyone with only a year or two of experience that I would consider to be a "great" makeup artist. Most of the makeup I see from people at that stage is barely even what I call "good" to be completely honest. Most people take a long time to be able to blend highlights and shadows correctly, and that is understandable. But, good blending is also what classifies a makeup as being "good" not to mention "great." I know there are extremely talented new people out there that have only a year or two under their belt and I wish them all the best of luck. But, I don't think that makes them either ready or qualified to run a makeup room for a haunt as a makeup coordinator. I just wanted to clarify that is what I was addressing in my original post for this thread. I was giving general information on pay scales based on the amount of experience a makeup artist has. More specifically, people like Jason Blaszczak, Killer Katie and myself have all worked for someone who didn't really appreciate the fact that we each could run the makeup room very proficiently, but didn't want to pay us what we were worth based on our skill level. And, now many years later with more experience, I think its safe to say that we all feel like we deserve to be paid more fairly in comparison with our talent. You have to balance your passion for what you do with what your skill level is and what it is worth.

Geoff Beck

bodybagging
04-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Personally I think Jason is one of the best makeup Artists in the Haunt Industry,
He deserves to write his own Paycheck.

JamBam
04-25-2008, 05:44 AM
I paid for a degree from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I have no ability myself as my stick people look bad, but my son earned that degree well. (ok I only paid for the part his talen didn't earn) He could draw before he could walk or talk. Moved to Chicago for school and still there. He is now drawing for a slot machine company. Can you believe they pay him a good salary, benefits, 401K, and force him to go to Reno every month. And they underwrite gambling in his expense account. Research is what they call it. lol

Anyway, my make up artist and his helpers are awesome. He is a self employed artist and is involved in the local play theatre as well. Did I mention he also is my director!! Has made several awesome character costumes and is now making masks. He is not paid what he is worth, but each year as we have gotten more successful, his compensation has gone up. He is starting to explore the haunt market for business now.

So far, he is underpaid. His loyalty and talent is much appreciated. My intention is to make it up to him in the future.

Jim Warfield
04-25-2008, 06:34 AM
How much to pay a make up person?
A few dollars more or a few dollars less? It's hard to judge when they are always "making faces!"
As far as not being paid for what you are worth? WE are all the final judge of what we will tolerate in any work situation.
I was a loyal son and employee for 15 years , then I read the local paper that the guy the city hired to mow the grass in the park was getting paid lot more than I was! It was the city's mower and the city's gas too!
I was on-call 24/7 to repair and install furnaces and Ac and plumbing, but the guy riding someone else's mower was worth more! (No he wasn't)
I didn't even have a phone for the first three years I moved into my haunted house, I wanted nothing to do with my previous work picking up "pennies" while my kids went without. 15 years is a long time to be in denial.
Don't put the responsibility on someone else, it really is not theirs for more than a paycheck or two.

Killer Katie
04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Let the record show, I actually agree with Geoff Beck has said!! LOL (you know it's all in love...)

bodybagging
04-25-2008, 02:54 PM
JAMBAM, classic case of a little APPRECIATION going along way.
Being appreciated means alot.....

screamline studios
04-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Personally I think Jason is one of the best makeup Artists in the Haunt Industry,
He deserves to write his own Paycheck.

10 to 15 million dollars is all it takes for me to do make-up. Rob thank you for all the kind words and i will pay you the ten bucks for the ego fill up !!! haha.... OK now lets really talk about talent.... lets see??? dvd, seminars,make-up, fill all the orders ,new designs,haunted houses,your own haunted house, and what do we get WOOOOOWWWW Mr. rob Johnson thank you for keeping this F@#$%@ up industry alive and i raise a big cup of coffee to you (inside joke folks, to me its beer) and i want to say thank you for all your efforts and i pray the new guys down the road step back and say wow this guy really made a difference to me ..... Good job rob keep it up!!! and thank you

Just some ramdom dude
Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Feargore
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
just do waht we do get someone who will do ifor free, pizza,etc. if they do- they probably r thetype of people u want 2 work with!

-Taylor

bodybagging
04-26-2008, 01:35 PM
feargore how about some pics from your haunt, would love to see them.....

SpookywoodsFX.com
04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
just do waht we do get someone who will do ifor free, pizza,etc. if they do- they probably r thetype of people u want 2 work with!

-Taylor

That will bring the pro's crawling out of the wood work.....

That's how it's done in Hollywood....

really..

dr0zombie
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Geoff, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I did not intend to imply your skill, or anyones, was not worthy of compensation. I am sorry if that was how it sounded. It was honest praise when I said you guys did great job with your segment on the BodybaG DVD. Just trying to throw a bone to the new guys working hard to learn and those events that give them that opportunity.

Just to be open about all this, I have 10 years in, ran Creatures Crypt makeup room for most of that (not in 2007), and I am alright at what I do. Its not my full time job, and I am just as happy working for a not-for-profit as I am getting paid. My work isn't amazing but you can check it out if you want. http://www.myspace.com/dr0zombie anything that's not a prosthetic was done in 3 to a max of 10 minutes. With 30 - 50 actors in an hour with 3 - 4 makeup artists you never get much time to do more than one or two good ones a night.

Taylor, If the pizza includes Guinness that sounds like a work plan.... :D whats that bit from Mystery Men... "Throw in a barbecue and a couple kegs, they'll all show up. The mooch factor is pretty high with this crowd. "

Darkangel
04-27-2008, 07:33 AM
So it's settled then I have two good options. Pay several thousand dollars or just offer them free pizza! Thanks guys! I have seen some haunters that may actually be able to eat thousands of $$ in Pizzas over the season....

Darkangel

Killer Katie
04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Dr0z said...
"anything that's not a prosthetic was done in 3 to a max of 10 minutes. With 30 - 50 actors in an hour with 3 - 4 makeup artists you never get much time to do more than one or two good ones a night."

I have several years of this exact experience and you hit it right on the head. And unless you've been the "one in charge" if everyone isn't in makeup by opening, you don't "get" the amount of sacrifice in detail and creativity you have. I've had nights where it was a necessity to have functional make up first. Can we do amazing makeup? hell yeah! Can we spend 40 minutes on each actor all the time? Hell no!
and...
what was said about someone starting out that will work for free stuff was a good observation and a good way to try out to see if talent exists without wasting money before you see the product. Unless they are established and known talent,(like Rob, Jason and Geoff) it shows a certain dedication.

In all reality - who, in any profession, gets paid what they're truly worth? In this day of multi task or you're fired and jobs leaving the country at a rapid pace - we are lucky if we get paid anything at all for "frivolous"jobs. Defeatest attitude, huh? LOL I think this should be a political platform! I bet we could get Warfield to run for President! What do you think????

scareshack
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I respect all of you guys and what you do.
Great.....I Have to Pay people to let me put make-up on them. Even my own kids....lol
All you guys doing this stuff....praise and respect to you, you all seem to do great work.

geoffgbeck
04-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks Rob and Katie for the supportive comments as well. Maybe we can start our own makeup artist union. I elect Jason Blazczak as president! Seriously, it is actually good their isn't a haunted attraction makeup artist union. If there was, it would just create an environment that would breed laziness where there would only be a few really good makeup artists that apply themselves, and others wouldn't practice and try to get better, but would expect to be hired because they were part of the "clan." My point is that by having people work hard at their skill and pitch their talent as individuals with their merit riding on their own reputation to haunt owners who have heard through the "grapevine" through other haunters about that artist and their ability works better. Yes, it is a little more like the wild wild west, but I think that works better in a "real" world of haunters hearing from a lot of new artists with a lot of inpiration, but not enough skill to really demand what only a seasoned artist with many many years of experience can. More importantly, only someone with many years of experience can deliver on a nightly basis both on a creative level as well as a quantity level.

Geoff Beck

P.S. DrOzombie, I know you weren't trying to pick a fight. That is why I said at the beginning of my post that I understood you were playing devil's advocate, and that I was just doing the same. I was just using the specific words you chose (great makeup artist) to prove a point. That being the fact that a lot of us "veterans" know what it took to get "here", and that there shouldn't be any confusion between that talent and someone who is a "newbie" even though like you said they try real hard. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but again, as you know, there is a huge difference between a beginner's effort and inspiration, compared to one's proven ability, skill level, and talent. Thanks for listening. Peace.

screamline studios
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Geoff you could be on to something, i dont know about the whole jason blaszczak as president thing, but it would be good for someone to help monitor the growth of talent by calling, or e-mailing them on tricks of the trade or suggestions??? I dont know guys what do you think!!! this could be a great idea. Also geoff dont exclude yourself out of this you have many great dvds, what about bodybag or evilusions?? they deserve to be in the mix, or lets make it a challenge of who should be the president..... This could be fun !!!!
Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Infoamtek
04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
If any of you makeup artists want to go see the latest in makeup materials or go rub shoulders with the Industry pros, check out this trade show:
http://www.makeupmag.com/tradeshow.htm

screamline studios
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Screamline has been thinking about going to this show for a long time (as a vendor) for all of our latex, i hear nothing but good things.... WHAT DO YOU THINK INFOAMTEK??? Do we stand a chance against all the other latex guys..

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS