PDA

View Full Version : HauntCon reviews?

bodybagging
04-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Anyone have anything to report?

xxxdirk
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I just got back cause I have two hypnosis shows to do tonight/Sunday morning. Had a great time and went through many very cool haunts. 13th gate,House of Shock, and Phobia were the biggies that all loved. The seminars were very informative and it was great hanging with everyone n some cool new exhibitors. Len announced the location for 2008, but out of respect for him, I will not post here until he gives the formal announcement.

hauntedhousenut
04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Rob, I thought you guys were going to be there.

bodybagging
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Conflicts of interest, prevented us from attending.

drfrightner
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I was told they're going to the Wisconsin Dells area. Considering the success of the Frozen Tundra tour I don't think this was a good choice because many people have already toured the area just last year. We'll see...

The thing with these Hauntcon's are they're fun, but the vendors don't seem to make money. Seems like the attendance was down again, and the vendors money wise aren't screaming with joy.

The people who attended are sceaming with joy if they visited House of Shock and 13th Gate. From everyone I talked to people where just blown away by these two attractions, making the trip worth the price they paid to get there.

I haven't heard anything about the tour of the local Houston attractions yet but I'm sure I will hear some soon. About 100 or so people tour 13th Gate and House of Shock and loved it.

Those are great attractions for sure!!!

Hauntcon seems to have found a mold of being a social event, fun for the people who go but not so much of a tradeshow. I think in the end to be a tradeshow you have to stop in one place for a long time, and establish yourself. People seem to have had a good time touring the attractions and that is the important thing. I also heard some of the seminars where well attended...

That is about all I heard.

Larry

stafford
04-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Just got back yesterday, attended the pre show tour, and the haunt tours in Houston, then flew home Saturday morning. 13th Gate and House of Shock were fantastic. The level of detail at 13th Gate was incredible, similar to Rocky Point, but probably more realistic in it's detail, their asylum and sewer areas were something to see.

House of Shock's pre show was definitely "shocking", coming from my background and upbringing, it definitely had be out of my comfort zone. But hey, they got under my skin, and that's hard to do. The haunt itself was excellent, well detailed, and the actors are really up close and personal, was grabbed a few times. All in all, a great haunt, if you're not easily offended.

Also toured Chamber of Horrors and The Haunted Mortuary on the pre show tour. Chamber of Horrors is a fairly new haunt outside New Orleans. The Mortuary looks like it's gearing up to be a great tourist attraction and seasonal haunt, talk about atmosphere, an actual mortuary in the heart of the New Orleans "city of the dead" graveyard area. Location, location, location, sheesh!

In Houston, toured Nightmare on the Bayou and Phobia, an excellent time was had by all. Then spent a day at the Hauntcon show before heading home. The show was a good opportunity to catch up with friends and make some new ones.

I don't know that the location of the Hauntcon 2009 is that secret since it was on the back of the show brochure, it said join us in Milwaukee in 2009. I heard rumblings that Terror on the Fox will be on the pre show tour, so if you missed it on the Frozen Tundra tour, here's your second chance.

All in all, as Larry had said, the pre show tour was well worth the price of admission. As it's nearly impossible for me to get away during Sept/Oct, Hauntcon in the past few years has given me the opportunity to see Rocky Point, Nightmare on 13th, Erebus, 13th Gate, and House of Shock, haunts with a long running history of excellence, that I would probably not have been able to see otherwise. If this is a trend continued at Hauntcon, I will definitely continue to attend.

Grimley
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
This was our first visit to Hauntcon. It being only 3 hours drive I decided to go and see things for myself. I was unable to attend the tours but did visit the showroom floor. It was good to see Little Spider props(now Haunted Enterprises) again as I had not seen them since 2006. I also met a few new vendors I have never seen at Transworld. I think the event looked well organized and very professionally run. One of the vendors I know said they sold their booth so the sales seemed to be going ok. I really wish I had the time to do the tours but I can always save that for next year.

xxxdirk
04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Seeing how Stafford spilled the beans, I will confirm. It was announced Hauntcon 2009, end of April into May Milwaukee Wisconsin. I am assuming there will be a pretour as well as visits to many Wisconsin haunts including Terror On The Fox. I know some of you went to Terror last year and Froze your butts off, so 2009 will be a chance to see the haunt without having to see it through the cloud of steam coming from your breath.

drfrightner
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Going forward Hauntcon should consider dropping the tradeshow aspect and focus on haunt tours and seminars only, I think that would save them money and or earn them more money and be just as successful.

I've now talked to 6 different vendors who told me they did horrible and will not go back. From last years Hauntcon to this years Hauntcon they lost so many vendors its not even funny, and I will expect them to lose a lot more next year. From looking at the tradeshow floor plan this show has shrunk and shrunk...its ONLY because vendors have to make money at these things, and when they can't cover costs they don't return.

Additionally there are to many of these regional events and you just can't attend them all...some people are going MHC, some are going to the EHC, and adding IAAPA and well the Transworld show. Some are telling me they're now doing so much business just from the net they not putting a zillion events on their calender. IF you're going to do a tradeshow the tradeshow has to focus on tours and social activities or you have to focus on vendors and attracting buyers. Hauntcon has a focus on the social aspects with horror movies, hearse rallies, garage sales, blah, blah...which doesn't bring vendors the type of buyers they need to make money.

As for next years choice...

All in all I think the choice to go to Milwaukee was the absolute WORST choice they could have every made. I was talking to some people who have attended every single Hauntcon who already told me they will not go next year because they've already seen all the haunts in that area at Transworld just a year or so ago.

I will predict this will be the lowest attended Hauntcon of all so far... not because the haunts are not worthy of a tour, but because of the Frozen Tundra just a little over a year ago.

When you look at the numbers, about 100 people attended the 13th Gate/House of Shock Tour at Hauntcon, and what did Frozen Tundra do a year ago...what about 150 or whatever? Well what that tells you is that there are about 100 to 200 people who will take off work, who will pay a premium price to take haunt tours when not on a weekend. I would bet you ANY PRICE for the MOST part the people who attended the 13th Gate tour just a couple days ago are the same people who attended Frozen Tundra just a year ago.

Those people are not and I mean FOR THE MOST part going to go through all the time and costs to do it again just 24 months later. Considering those guys already organized a tour and it went better than 13th Gate or the Rocky Point pre-tours of Hauntcon the people who wanted to see those attractions already saw them.

WORST CHOICE you could have ever made in my opinion. They should have considered a city like Boston and done some Salem haunts, etc. etc.

Or how about New York area where there are TONS of haunts especially in New Jersey. Its not that I don't like the haunts in Wisconsin because I do, but I think Frozen Tundra Tour more or less already exposed that market.

Creative Visions tried to talk Leonard into coming to St. Louis and Leonard said if I moved he would come to St. Louis...LOL. Leonard admitted to me that if he came to St. Louis it would probably be the most successful one he had ever done, because of the fact that I would probably promote it to death, the darkness, the regional location to so many people, blah, blah but told me he doesn't trust me to come here.

So I guess there will never be a Hauntcon in St. Louis...but there might be something else coming here March 2008. We'll see...

Larry

mindtumor
04-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Going forward Hauntcon should consider dropping the tradeshow aspect and focus on haunt tours and seminars only, I think that would save them money and or earn them more money and be just as successful.

I've now talked to 6 different vendors who told me they did horrible and will not go back. From last years Hauntcon to this years Hauntcon they lost so many vendors its not even funny, and I will expect them to lose a lot more next year. From looking at the tradeshow floor plan this show has shrunk and shrunk...its ONLY because vendors have to make money at these things, and when they can't cover costs they don't return.

Additionally there are to many of these regional events and you just can't attend them all...some people are going MHC, some are going to the EHC, and adding IAAPA and well the Transworld show. Some are telling me they're now doing so much business just from the net they not putting a zillion events on their calender. IF you're going to do a tradeshow the tradeshow has to focus on tours and social activities or you have to focus on vendors and attracting buyers. Hauntcon has a focus on the social aspects with horror movies, hearse rallies, garage sales, blah, blah...which doesn't bring vendors the type of buyers they need to make money.

As for next years choice...

All in all I think the choice to go to Milwaukee was the absolute WORST choice they could have every made. I was talking to some people who have attended every single Hauntcon who already told me they will not go next year because they've already seen all the haunts in that area at Transworld just a year or so ago.

I will predict this will be the lowest attended Hauntcon of all so far... not because the haunts are not worthy of a tour, but because of the Frozen Tundra just a little over a year ago.

When you look at the numbers, about 100 people attended the 13th Gate/House of Shock Tour at Hauntcon, and what did Frozen Tundra do a year ago...what about 150 or whatever? Well what that tells you is that there are about 100 to 200 people who will take off work, who will pay a premium price to take haunt tours when not on a weekend. I would bet you ANY PRICE for the MOST part the people who attended the 13th Gate tour just a couple days ago are the same people who attended Frozen Tundra just a year ago.

Those people are not and I mean FOR THE MOST part going to go through all the time and costs to do it again just 24 months later. Considering those guys already organized a tour and it went better than 13th Gate or the Rocky Point pre-tours of Hauntcon the people who wanted to see those attractions already saw them.

WORST CHOICE you could have ever made in my opinion. They should have considered a city like Boston and done some Salem haunts, etc. etc.

Or how about New York area where there are TONS of haunts especially in New Jersey. Its not that I don't like the haunts in Wisconsin because I do, but I think Frozen Tundra Tour more or less already exposed that market.

Creative Visions tried to talk Leonard into coming to St. Louis and Leonard said if I moved he would come to St. Louis...LOL. Leonard admitted to me that if he came to St. Louis it would probably be the most successful one he had ever done, because of the fact that I would probably promote it to death, the darkness, the regional location to so many people, blah, blah but told me he doesn't trust me to come here.

So I guess there will never be a Hauntcon in St. Louis...but there might be something else coming here March 2008. We'll see...

Larry

Well whatever might have been coming in March 2008, I guess I already missed it!LOL!

hauntedhousenut
04-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Are you sure about the numbers that attended the 13th gate/house of shock tour?

last year I attended the one in michigan, and on the friday night tour Erebus/Realm there had to be over 600 people easily.

And about the next location for 2009 in Wiskey, are you saying that because of personal feeelings or do you really think it's a bad location.

And last but not least, I think everyone is aware of your take on Hauntcon, which I don't have a problem with personally; but what is the difference with you on this subject and Greystone on theirs? oops silly me, you have the power to delete!

How about this for an idea Larry, why don't you put on a two day seminar at your locations, that includes education, and socialization, and haunt tours.

xxxdirk
04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Larry, there is more than JUST TOF in Wisconsin. I would think you would know that cause you know about all the haunts in the US. We have quite a few haunts that people have not been to and many are pretty damn good. How about waiting until AFTER you see the schedule before you go bashing an event just cause you have issues with the producer? Or if you are so convincd that you could do a better event, why not create your own convention? I would love to see your haunts in person.

As far as there being too many conventions, I think a lot of choices is a good thing. I am sure vendors would LOVE to have 1 convention everyone goes to. It would save alot of money in booth fees, but having to go to trade SHOWS is part of the cost of being a vendor IMHO. Some people will wanna go to Hauntcon, some to MWHC, some to EHC, and some people go to more than one.

Ron

drfrightner
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Whoops... meant to say 2009. My bad!

Secondly as for how many people attended the 13th Gate compared to how many people attended the Michigan tour or whatever... you must understand Leonard for whatever reason didn't have the event IN NEW ORLEANS, he had the event in Houston, just like he didn't have the event in SALT LAKE rather than Denver.

The mega haunt was in Salt Lake not Denver, so if you wanted to see Rocky Point for example you had to pay a ton of money for plane tickets, blah, blah, and come in extra early, that is why the tour had so few people. Same with 13th Gate and House of Shock, you had to pay way more money because of bus rides, hotels, and all the extra expense.

I'm sure the tours of Phobia had WAY more people because that haunt is in the city that Hauntcon was actually in...had Leonard had the event in New Orleans I'm sure tons more people would have toured 13th Gate and House of Shock. But there was only two buses for those two haunts opposed to I'm sure several times more for Phobia because it was acutally in Houston.

When the event was in Detroit area, Erebus was in Detroit, had the tour been in say CHicago and you bus them over to Erebus you would have had the same exact results about 100 people rather than 4 or 500 people.

I hope that clears that up.

Secondly, as for me saying Milwaukee is a bad choice... NO WAY is it personal feelings NO WAY! I think there are a lot of haunts in the area and some pretty good ones, and that is NOT the point.

I'm only stating my opinion based on FACTS and LOGIC! The Frozen Tundra tour was very successful and toured several haunts in the area...correct?

The main haunt most haunt owners would like to see is Terror on the Fox... guess what most of the people who would like to see Terror on the Fox that go to these types of events ALREADY WENT...correct?

Lets be honest okay...it cost money to go to these events, its time away from your job, your family and everything else. A good reason to go is to see something you haven't already seen. Additionally lets be honest NO ONE is going to Hauntcon to buy new stuff from their haunts, because vendors are dropping Hauntcon as a place to exhibit. VENDORS for the most part are doing horrible there because it is NOT a buyers show.

So why do people attend??? TO SEE NEW HAUNTS...by going to a city that has already had a VERY successful TOUR is not smart and that is NOT a shot against Milwaukee area at all.

I mean we can lay a bet on it, because I've been know to make bets, but I will bet it will hit an ALL TIME record LOW in attendance due to the SUCCESS of Frozen Tundra just 16 months ago. This was a bad choice a real bad choice because of the SUCCESSFUL tour produced there just 16 months ago.

What I'm not saying isn't personal and its not NEGATIVE...its just stating a fact, that you can't dispute. You may not like it especially if you love Hauntcon but it would be hard for you to deny that 'yeah maybe it was to soon to go back to an area where a HUGELY successful tour took place not that long ago'.

Let me give you an example that maybe you can understand...

I run a magazine, Leonard runs a magazine...

I know this for a fact that Leonard had told haunts, he will not cover their haunt because its been on my cover already, and I can tell you that I'm not going to turn around and do a featured story on a haunt when it was just on his cover within the past year...that is stupid!

I'm not saying I would NEVER do a story because its been on his cover but I'm not going to cover a haunt that was on his cover within the past 4 to 8 issues. DO THE PEOPLE WANT TO SEE THE SAME THINGS COVERED AGAIN???

I wouldn't do it not based on personal feelings but rather thinking about the people who subscribe to our magazine. I want to do something new and different, and I'm sure he feels the same way.

I want to give you something you haven't seen before, I want to inform you of things you may not have known until you read the magazine, but I dont' want to give you something you already know or have seen.

Same thing here... most of you already went there just last year, going back to that area maybe 5 years from now would have been smarter. Going to Boston now that would have been a tour!!!! Going to New York area now that would have been something NEW!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion but I think I'm right but we'll see. Either way I do wish those haunts luck and Hauntcon success.

Larry

Feargore
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
i thank hantcon looks like FUN!!!!!!!!!!

-Taylor

drfrightner
04-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I think that is the point... Hauntcon is fun!

Larry

Feargore
04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Taylor

Mr Nightmarez
04-28-2008, 01:55 PM
First Year I have had to miss... but due to numerous reasons we were not able to attend.

I will be driving to PA this weekend to attend the Eastern Haunters Convention and I will give my review upon returning!

The pre-show was what I hate missing the most... Had a great line up.

MMManiac
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
The frozen tundra tour only covered two haunts in the Green Bay/Appleton area I believe. Southern WI has tons of excellent haunts and so does Green Bay. Yes, Terror on the fox would probley be the Main haunt being toured again, BUT.... It's well worth it. Being only located three blocks from terror on the fox and having the privilege of seeing them each other I can tell you its a totally different haunt. The bad boys do an excellent job redoing their haunt each year so its never the same. I for one will be attending Hauntcon for the first time next year.

MDKing
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Boy is this discussion getting interesting.....

Speculo
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I got back from Hauntcon yesterday, and had a great time! I want to thank all the haunts, 13th Gate, The Chamber of Horrors, The House of Shock, The Mortuary, Nightmare on the Bayou and Phobia for opening their doors to such a tough crowd, and thanks to the organizers for setting this up. Those of you who missed it ought to be kicking themselves!

I also got to catch up with lots of folks I missed in Vegas, saw some seminars and had some fun. The costumes and make-up at the costume ball keep getting better every year as well, it is cool to see everyone pull out the stops!

As to going back to Wisconsin again, I guess we will have to see what shows will be opening for the event. In truth I would rather go to another area we haven't been to yet, like Philly, for ALL those great Haunts, Kansas City, or maybe somewhere with those ships, like the Queen Mary in LA or the USS Nightmare.

But at this point it is so far away, I am more concerned with this season and whats up with Transworld in the near future.

But anyway I am now inspired (and roasted by 20 foot HOS flame cannons!) to get back to work and knock em dead this October!

Thanks

Ben
NETHERWORLD

Jim Warfield
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Seeing the same haunt ever so often and having a few bus loads of people hateing the long ride through endless miles of cornfields, The Ravens Grin artistic deflector, Mr. Tuxedo, Spookhouse Cat has invented the ultimate Ravens Grin tour package!
Yoo payz thu munny, git on du bus, you say yer r bored, the UFO lands right there in the crap, er, crop circle and abduckz everyone!
How meny kan sai they be "ducked" before? Probablie knot just 16 months ago either or you alien offspring would be keeping you home to care for it! them dern aliens bring the real payne of chilbirth to men, it hurtz too! Pregnancy plays no favorites!
Fun fun fun!

Jim Warfield
04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Anyone owning a business , once it gets profitable enough to hire excellant employees, can find more freedom from the dailey sometimes mind-numbing aspects of running it to attend meetings where new helpfull ideas may be found and associations formed to make even more possibly profitable situations.
I certainly am not and probably never will be in such a place with my business or life.
To those who are I say go for it!
It's not a trust issue it's just who has the time, money and the will.

Maybe I just can't trust committes? A committee built the atomic bomb which is no big deal...until they all begin going off!

Tattoo
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I knew Wisconsin was one of the choices for next year but did not find out until it was announced in Houston. Terror on the Fox will be one of the Attractions on the pre-show tour and I look forward to everyone seeing our BRAND NEW ATTRACTIONS!

We re-design 90% of Terror on the Fox every year and by the time HauntCon rolls in next year it will be re-designed once again, it will have been 3 years since the Frozen Tundra Tour and we will also be setting up our second event TORMENT!

I'm very happy that the tour is happening in May and not in February! There are a lot of great Haunts in Wisconsin that deserve the chance to be seen and toured by members of the Haunt community.

I have already started the planning stages for the pre-show tour and Sponsors have been calling! I believe this tour will be bigger and better than the Frozen Tundra Fright Tour and look forward to working with all of our wonderful sponsors again! (You interested in being a sponsor Larry?)

On a side note, I heard good things from the vendors at HauntCon and we had a blast teaching our full day seminar! I am happy to report that we raised $850 by auctioning off our scene at the end of class! This money will be donated to another friend in the Industry who has been battling breast cancer and we are happy that we can do our part to help.

I look forward to seeing everyone at EHC and MHC!

Take care,

Tattoo

drfrightner
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Good for you Mike to donate that money. If you look on the blog of Hauntworld we have all the info to support the same person. I hope everyone donates money that is for sure!!!

Let me know if there is anything else we can do!

Larry

xxxdirk
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Mike,

I think it is wonderful that you guys donated that money! I really loved seeing you guys and as we talked about, I will be happy to throw whatever talents I might be able to bring to the the table to Hauntcon 09.

Hey, did you guys take any pics during the seminar? I had given half a thought to flying back to Houston after my shows, but my credit card, family and lack of sleep were all screaming at me to stay.

Ron

Monster-Tronics
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
We were setting up our booth during the Frozen Tundra Tour the last time and did not get a chance to attend, so I hope we can make it this time, I would love to see Terror on the Fox. Monster-Tronics was a sponsor last time and hope to be again, so stay in touch.

As far as vendor sales at Hauntcon, I went around on Sat. and talked to at least a dozen vendors and all but one said they were doing very well. Our sales were slow on Fri & Sat but we received a lot of orders on Sun. and ended on a high note and working on a bunch of large future orders that if a few of those come in, it will have made for another great show. I know there were some large buyers there from out of the country which was good for everyone.

Monster-Tronics donated money to the PayPal account for Kathryn DeSautell and also donated product for the Silent Auction Karen Murphy put together for her. Many other vendors donated as well and the Silent Auction raised over $1,400. It’s great to see the haunt community getting together to help out a haunter in need.

There is another lady that is fighting the same battle which there will be some fund raising at MHC, and we will do what we can to help her too.

xxxdirk
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
When I have a booth at a tradeshow where people book me as entertainment for their event, it always seems many groups wait til the last day. Many groups Window shop the 1st day, confirm on the second, have a meeting and then write on the last day. Ehen I am buying for my haunt, I normally wait too...

drfrightner
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I talked to two vendors who said they didn't sell ONE item, and another who said they finally sold something on Sunday. When you look at the vendor history of this show it points to what I'm saying... the list of vendors who have not returned is long and major! This show is just not a buyer seller show. The show was down to an all time low in terms of vendors, and most of those who did come this year where new. I've already been informed by at least 5 vendors who said this was their last Hauntcon.

I think the show will be down to maybe a row or two of vendors next year maybe less. People have to understand if you don't make money you can't vend. Its not about wanting to support something to be supportive, its about spending money to make money, and when you spend it and don't make it back well you don't come back.

There is no doubt the show is fun for those who, some of the speakers did a good job and helped people, and the tours are worth their weight in gold. This show has some strong points to it, and that i why I think he should do away with the tradeshow floor and just go to a conference setting with just tours, seminars and communication.

He'll save himself money in the long run and the event would probaby be just as popular. I do think he will lose another big chunk of vendors for 2009. In part because of lagging sales of the past few Hauntcons, but also because of going to Wisconsin a place that has already been toured.

Mike said TOTF changes the attraction, but so does every haunted house. People come to my haunted house during the season, but don't usually come back the following season because in their mind they already saw it... but we change the scenes too. Its a lot of expense to attend these events. Hauntcon should have gone to Boston, or New York or something along those lines not a place where a tour just came through town.

There is NO DOUBT that the haunts are worthy of a zillion tours, year tours, monthly tours, but will people attend when they don't live there if they already did the thing? I doubt it... people want to see new attractions and that is why they go in the first place.

Just my two cents.

Larry

Darkangel
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Until Scarefactory, Unit 70, and Distortions attend every year, plus others like Lafond, etc start showing a lot of people will probably skip it as they would go to transworld because that's where the above companies go.

Darkangel

Tattoo
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't attend conventions BECAUSE Scarefactory or Distortions are there, thats kind of a funny statement. I attend conventions that feature new products AND new vendors! I also attend conventions that feature great seminar line ups!

To each their own, find the convention(s) that you like, I tend to support several.

So, if TW goes to Vegas next year, does this mean we will not tour any Haunts in Vegas because we have "already done that"?

Just asking...........................

Take care,

Tattoo

Darkangel
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I do attend for those companies, I go to to the shows to buy things and many of those new vendors will first show at Transworld before Hauntcon. I haven't heard of any new major company exibit at Hauntcon over Transworld.....

Darkangel

Barry
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Darkangel,

Actually most new companies do not debut at TW due to the cost and I can't think of any that new "major" companies in quite awhile. There are new vendors at MHC every year and some of those have gone on to be very recognizable names.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the companies mentioned. they seem to only do one show a year, although SF is part of MHC again this year. It will be interesting to see where they go in '09.

Jim Warfield
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
My buying patterns at a trade show like Transwurld are as follows:I see the show on Friday, avoid Sat., go back on Sun or Monday, don't buy a thing, come back for the next six years see everything before I buy.
As a one man haunted house (most of the time) I don't, can't (shouldn't try) to change vast portions of my house for one season.
When returning customers ask at the ticket window "Have you changed anything?"
I am always truthful and confess , "Yes, I changed my underware a few weeks ago."
Then they might whine,"No! Butt we liked your old underware, it was totally scary! Grandma thought the ghost of her first husband was following us through your house from the smell of your undies!"
Some think it smells like a fight is going on, which butt-cheek will win the fight?
Left or right? They just shouldn't keep fighting butt they just sort of keep rubbing each other the wrong way!

drfrightner
04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Barry is correct...many companies that start off prefer to try Hauntcon first because of cost concerns. Transworld has always been a buyer seller show, even if the costs are more you're still getting more for your money even though the booth costs are higher.

MHC who only charges like $500.00 or something for a booth, you have a better opportunity to make money. I think Hauntcon was charging like $1000.00 per booth. I've been told 5 to 1 that MHC has more buying than Hauntcon and its cheaper. For some reason people just don't buy at Hauntcon... I think it has a lot to do with the tours, the focus is square one on the tours!

THAT IS A GREAT THING those tours... I would have loved to see 13th Gate with actors, and House of Shock. Kudos to Leonard for making that happen.

At the end of the day though its just not a buyer seller show, its a great social experience.

If I was doing a second show I would do MHC or even the new EHC because of their proximity to so many haunters. Eastern Haunters Convention is smack dab in the middle of a zillion people, and Ohio was Hauntworld's number one state last year. I think that says it all...

My number one state was Ohio but the number one area was the Philly area because New Jersey, New York, Maryland and PA its just unreal.

I think most people who go to these regional events want to travel by car, so when you're in the heart of so many people it will help a lot. When you go in the middle of no where like Denver that hurts. I've been told Denver was a bad show for the vendors.

The highest concentration of MAJOR attractions is PHILLY area bar none, Ohio second and that probably has a lot to do with their success.

Not to mention a lot of vendors reside in these area's, that doesn't hurt either.

As Hauntcon moves around America they should pick area's where they can tap into more local vendors and buyers that might help.

Larry

hauntedhousenut
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
You talk about Shane repeating the same story about a certain vendor, yet we here you sing same tune about hauntcon, I think everybody here gets it, Hauntcon is not a vendor show, it's a socilization event.

Darkangel
04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
There are a lot of people who go to see new product from the companies I mentioned. If those three all went to Hauntcon their numbers would go up...Glad to hear SF will be at MHC Barry...

I think the MHC is the future big convention that will rival Transworld.

Darkangel

screamline studios
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
You are so very right darkangel, MHC is the haunts future and i will say it till i am blue in the face..

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Tattoo
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Here is a photo of the partial scene we built during our seminar, I will post more photos with the scene lighting soon.

http://a384.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/84/l_a2e8d0a0f39fb83d282c201ece0116bf.jpg

Take care,

Tattoo

screamline studios
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Is that all you got pitifull, haha just kidding tattoo you guys kick ass as always and i hope you did very well you deserve it..

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

P.S Who is the guy to the left of the set?? and more important it looks like he is wearing a screamline hat???? could it be.

Greg Chrise
04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Tattoo I was gonna ask if you got a picture! Looks good.

Greg.

icandrawem2
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Tattoo man it looks great, cant wait to see more pictures!

Nicole
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Tattoo - that scene kicks serious you know what - :)

I've been at a conference for work all week so this is the first I've been on the boards in several days - its late and was skimming through this thread so sorry to get back to the location topic...BUT Did they say exactly where in Milwaukee?

Downtown Milwaukee hotels (convention-wise) are actually limited and book out at least a year ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised if they listed "Milwaukee" but had it in the Dells (Dells are about 2-2.5 hrs away - about 1 hr north of Madison), due to the fact of the plethora of hotel/meeting space as well as entertainment options. Plus, there are a few to several year-round haunt/dark attractions in very close proximity to each-other located right within the Dells itself. Either way: First Transworld back in Chicago and now HauntCon in Milwaukee in April? I'm 45 minutes right between the two - I can't complain, I'm a happy girl! :)

Anyone unfamiliar with The Dells can find info here: http://wisdells.com/

Here's the haunt and haunt-related and/or fun-house attractions in the Dells I was referring to:

http://www.dells.com/display.php?id=411
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=HAU001
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=GHO001
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=EXT001
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=MUS005
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=RIP001
http://wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetail.cfm?MemberCode=HAU001
http://www.wisdells.com/WisconsinDellsAttractions/memberdetailseason.cfm?MemberCode=WIZ001

and if it's in the Dells and you have time you GOT to see this: http://www.thehouseontherock.com/ (the attraction only) UNREAL BUILDING WITH CRAZY STUFF INSIDE!

I may have missed a few - it's late I need to go to bed and get up and be Admission Counselor all day at conference tomorrow starting in the morning... early.

icandrawem2
04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
plus all the waterparks! wooo wooo

Nicole
04-30-2008, 11:45 PM
...and a major casino.

....and cheese - we have lots of cheese.

Barry
05-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Nicole,
It is going to be at the "Wyndam Milwaukee Airport Hotel and Convention Center"

drfrightner
05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Tattoo,

Did you build that set ongoing to the show? A few years ago I helped a classic car body shop organize a rebuild of a 1970 AAR Cuda during a major car show...they had only four days to rebuild and paint the body while the car show was going on. That was fun!

I think that would be cool at a tradeshow to totally build a booth...something really complicated with foam carving and all.

Like throw up a picture and say... we're going to build this over this show.

Something that people say can't be done but somehow you make it happen!

People can keep coming back and check on the progression.

That would be cool! How was your set done during the show during your seminar what?

Larry

drfrightner
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
FYI...

I can't say ANY DETAILS but our company is about to do a MAJOR project in this area, so the project we're doing or will be doing will be open by Hauntcon 2009 and will be open year around.

We haven't signed the contract on this yet but it will be a HUGE project. In fact these people are meeting us at Kennywood to see our Dark Ride there this weekend.

It will be pretty major!

So we'll have some attractions in that area next season!

Larry

Greg Chrise
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
They built that in one day as a Monday seminar from scratch.

Nicole
05-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Barry - thanks.

That's 20 min. from my house. In all honesty, I'd rather go the 2-3 hours away in the Dells - more hotel/entertainment options there. Hoping there are some unique/different haunts they are showcasing too.

Jim Warfield
05-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Nicole, Are you saying you wouldn't want a mere 5,000 haunters showing up at your door ?
Well! I never! (would either!)
hahahahahah!
Of course when word gets out the alien Mother Ship will begin boarding passengers ........

graystone
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Looks like fun was had by all!!!!!! Shane Graystone

RJ Productions
05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey the Wisc Dells can be FUN!! My brothers in Chicago call it “White Trash Orlando”!!!!
CAN’T afford to take the family to Orlando this year???? Go to the Dells!!!

Some think the Dells is kind of hokey, but hey, it’s still around, and VERY successful!!
They know what they are, who they appeal to and they embrace it!!

I stated from day one that HC could be successful if it played to a specific niche, which is what it seems to be doing. Leonard focused on the haunt enthusiasts and let’s face it, when not conducting business we are ALL haunt enthusiasts! But HC in not and will probably never be a TRADE SHOW. By definition a trade show is “a large exposition to promote awareness and sales of especially new products within an industry.” By definition TW is a trade show. HC’s focus is NOT promoting products. It focuses on the end user, us. It focuses on tours and parties, not the business of doing business.

This is NOT detrimental at all. It can have its place and do extremely well, just ask attractions at the Dells. But it is not a trade show, period. You go to a trade show to conduct the business of business. If you have a good time in the process…bonus!! HC is the exact opposite. You go to have FUN, if you do a little business in the process…bonus!!! (Plus we get to write it off on our taxes!!!)

As a fan show, HC needed to keep moving, why? The Trade Show presents new products, at HC the new “products” are haunts and tours. So if you move to new locals and present new and different attractions you stay successful! If HC quits trying to fool itself and everyone else that it is a “trade show” and concentrates on its strong points it can become VERY successful.

It’s simple, just stay away from the trade show time slot. We still have to conduct business. Don’t get too close to our season, we still have to build and prepare. Don’t go just after our season, we’re too pooped!! If it is placed in that right time niche and promotes the FUN aspect we probably wouldn’t even care where TW goes because we would just do our business and save the fun activities for the new HC city of choice!!! Mid to late May seems the best, the weather’s not too bad for most areas, you don’t have to tend with summer tourist crowds, kind of an off travel season so you might find deals….

Drop the whole “Trade Show” and “For Haunters-By Haunters” monikers, it is neither. Instead brand it as “HC…FUN for Haunters!” (note to LP, you can use it, I have to problem) Remember WE need a little R&R as we prepare for the HELL of a new season, why not provide it??? I’d LOVE the opportunity to go see other attractions, just hang out with other haunters and not feel pressured. The vendors could go, enjoy themselves and not have to worry about making enough money to justify their involvement. They just go to have FUN!!! Face it, you’ll meet and greet, press the flesh, have a few drinks, socialize, but SOMEONE will ask you questions about your product line! (Talk shop and you still right it off your taxes!!!)

This is like a single haunt trying to promote himself as a “ScreamPark”, sure you can do it, but how many people get pissed off because it’s not what they expected? HC needed to emphasize its strong points and quit trying to be everything for everybody…it doesn’t work. Instead of people concentrating on the fun they had, they complain that there weren’t many vendors; vendors complain that they didn’t make any money….why fight it??

Don’t tout what you AREN’T ….embrace what you ARE!! It’s the key to success and longevity! Did anyone mention cheese curds???