PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Waterfall???

Motograter
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
So this year I am wanting to build a skull waterfall for our swamp room. I heard monster mud doesn't work so well. Has anybody here made such a thing before that it has worked out for you? What I'm looking for is a wall of rock and skull's with a lovely stream of water falling into a pond/swamp. Any hint's or tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Infoamtek
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I would say start here: http://www.rockandwater.com/Web%20Site%20Images/Rock%20and%20Water%20Items/Book/artificial_rock_waterfalls_book.htm

SomeThingInTheIce
04-27-2008, 06:04 PM
pool pumps work great to get the water flowing, as for what to make the skull out of, I have no idea.

icandrawem2
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I will second that motion for the artificial rock and waterfall book. I bought one a couple years ago and its a great resource and goes into alot of detail.

Matt Marich
04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
This waterfall was 16' wide and 8' deep. It is simply 6" foam over a lightweight steel frame so it will break into pie shaped sections. We textured it with exterior stucco designed for foam use, quite popular here in the Southwest. The main area at the top was indented to hold a little reserve of water. If I can offer any advice, if you link you need a certain GPH pump, double it or triple it. Most of these ratings are far below your expectations. We built a water slide for Disney's Blank Check and bought what we thought was the right pump. It barely moved the actor! We ended up using a fire pumper and 6" hose!

Matt

SomeThingInTheIce
04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Matt, thats awsome, it looks a lot higher then 8'. Very cool stuff.

damon carson
04-28-2008, 06:34 PM
How bout using foam. And pond for an outdoor pool. A pump. And just shape and skulpt your foam by hand and a dremmel tool. And then harden the foam and paint it. Man you got me wanting to make one now!
Damon

Tom
04-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Hopefully my input will help.

I have a swamp scene with a waterfall. It measures 4' wide, 4' deep and 8' tall. It's made out of foam blocks, carved and painted. In the top there is a small reserviour that fills with water and then spills over the edge in front. I have a rubber liner inside the reserviour and over the edge to hold the water. Then I made the pond out of 2X10 lumber and a rubber liner for it. The pond is 10' long and 5' wide. I have a submersible pump I bought at Lowes. Can't remember the GPM though but it wasn't the most expensive.
I'm building my second waterfall in a different way. I'll build the pond in the same manner as previously mentioned. But the water fall will be a 3" PVC pipe 6' long. I plan to run a saw blade to cut a 5' slit across it (just the width of the blade). Cap it on one end and attach a hose on the other end. I will attach this pipe to the ceiling with the slit facing down (I'll try different angles to see what's best). The hose will run to a pump inside the pond. So the pump draws the water from the pond up the hose to the pipe and thru the slit in the pipe. I plan to cover the pipe with dyed cheese cloth and camo netting. Add some real moss and a little lighting and that should be it.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Motograter
04-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Thank you Tom and everybody else. This is very useful information. I think I can make this work. I'm excited to get working on it.

SomeThingInTheIce
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Great idea with the pvc pipe Tom, let us know how it turns out.