PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness LAST FEW PHOTOS... Construction

drfrightner
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Check these out... we finally got around to working on the thing. Here are some photos...

Right now we're building a graveyard that will also feature a four point moving swamp house, a walk through crypt and several animations and even a CGI effect.

This other room will be a bedroom, which sits next to another room which will feature moving eye balls all over the room.

Check them out.

I'll have more photos every week. I would love to see some of YOUR photos as you guys get your haunts going.

Larry

drfrightner
05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Here is a picture of another major crypt we're making, and when its done it will look like the other picture complete with the CGI effect.

Larry

drfrightner
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Here are some more photos...

The one picture is of a crypt we're building that goes against a real brick wall. It looks pretty real... we're doing texture work to all the walls we're building this year and we'll also texture up the crypt as well.

Larry

drfrightner
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
More photos...

drfrightner
05-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Here is a photo of the new addition to the Darkness. We're adding onto our building... it will be about 13,000 square feet bigger. They start putting the steel in within two weeks. Larry

drfrightner
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Here are some more photos

drfrightner
05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Our tilting swamp house under contruction.

This will move in four directions.

Larry

drfrightner
05-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Our new graveyard and a wall that will all rocks that leads into the swamp house.

Larry

drfrightner
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Here is a few more from today. Larry

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
First batch.

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Here are some more....

I will post more later.

Gotta run!

Larry

drfrightner
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
The Mummy head has a home, we found a spot for it last night, when we had a huge meeting at the Darkness last night. It should be up on the walls later today. Here are some more pics.

You are looking at our moving swamp house here being built, the exit of the graveyard, and some other stuff.

Larry

drfrightner
06-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Here are a couple more...

The one showing the ceiling is going to be a pot rack holder sorta...

We are planing on hanging 100 plus pots and pans from the ceiling to give the room the feeling of a ceiling when there really isnt one. Plus some of the pots will actually fall to the floor making a ton of noise.

Larry

drfrightner
06-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Here are some more I took today. Larry

drfrightner
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Here is a couple more. Larry

drfrightner
06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Here we go...

drfrightner
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
How about some more of that pea soup???

drfrightner
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Three more my haunted friends.

Larry

drfrightner
06-24-2008, 04:23 AM
A few more...

Larry

drfrightner
06-25-2008, 02:01 AM
here are more ... The Darkness is going fast now.

Larry

drfrightner
06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
here are some more even

drfrightner
06-25-2008, 02:10 AM
The one photo is of our building that is ony days away from steel going up.

Larry

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
The Darkness will be open for the whole entire haunted house industry in March 2009 for the Transworld first ever Haunted House ONLY SHOW!

Enjoy!

Larry

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes that is the Scarefactory Attacking T-Rex... it is already mounted and working.

We're testing to see how far out it will go...it will be so close you can stick your hand in its mouth.

Larry

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Here are a few more.

drfrightner
07-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Here is a new scene we are working on... this truck will do something.

Larry

drfrightner
07-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Here are some more.

Larry

drfrightner
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Pics of the floor in our graveyard...

drfrightner
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I hate to keep showing the same rooms but we're getting more and more along on these rooms. By weeks end we will hard coat all the form work then paint and theme. Larry

drfrightner
07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Last pics of this room before it gets hard coated on Monday. You might notice a bunch of faces we had sculpted on the pillars and stuff. The scene gets hard coated on Monday and from there, we'll paint it, then we'll theme it, and lastly we'll set up all the props and light the room.

This room will come full circle by next Friday.

I'm so sick of looking at this room in this state but more less we're almost done.

Larry

drfrightner
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Swamp house is also coming along. Next week we'll start installing the equipment needed to make the thing rock back and forth. From there we'll finish the floor and move the props in... hoping to have this done next week.

Larry

drfrightner
07-16-2008, 05:32 AM
More photos... plus the hard coating process has begun!

Let me know what you think. We have had our crew working today from 9am until 9pm every day this week so stuff is getting done really fast.

Larry

drfrightner
07-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Shane,

Let me say a few things here...

One no I don't do tons of the physical work ANYMORE...

When I first started in the haunt business I did everything from building of the sets, building the walls, making the props, acting, and all the marketing.

And I continued to do all of this for years and years... many nights I slept at the Darkness because I was too tired to drive home, only to wake up the next day and do it all over again.

As time goes on some people get really good and doing one thing, and you break off and do something you are really good at. Today I have some really good carpenters, sculpters, painters, creative people, animation guys, you name it.

And some cases I don't have the best lighting person so I'll get someone else to come in and help. If I want web cams set up I get the web cam guys to set them up, if I want the best toys for my website I have to hire the best people I can find.

I'm involved in EVERYTHING we do...however we have some pretty creative people working with us, and they create some amazing stuff. I try to find the best people I can find to help the overall company grow.

Nolan who just directed Batman didn't make the movie himself, he didn't write the script himself, he wasn't the camera man, but still he gets most of the credit. It is just how it works isnt it... The Darkness is awesome because there are A LOT of great people working on it including myself.

I go by the place every week and tell everyone what I like and don't like, what to change, what to add, what to leave and what to take away. Am I down there doing much of the physical work...no not anymore.

Shane, I personally installed over 50 haunted houses around the world, and I went on almost EVERY install we EVER DID and worked like a dog, I would always be the last one to leave ask anyone.

These days I don't go on very many because the business requires me to do other things, which I am doing. As your business grows you have to rely on more and more people to get the job done and that is what I'm doing.

Larry

drfrightner
07-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Here are some more including us putting in the mirror maze... we are replacing it with real mirror, hence the suction cups.

Larry

drfrightner
07-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Shane,

I don't know why I keep wasting my breath answering your questions but...

I AM involved in EVERY aspect of our haunted house... actually to the point that I drive some of my staff CRAZY! LOL

I'm the do over king...if I don't like it or it wasn't done exactly how I wanted it it is a do over. When we worked on Kennywood that was a big bone when they guys who were working on the graveyard got the TEAR IT OUT do over speech. They wanted to kill me... I ended up doing the Graveyard myself more or less. At Kennywood every prop, every animation, was put in place by myself, I pointed out where I wanted everything.

Jim for example would say...ahhh we're not putting anything in until Larry tells us where he wants everything, because we're not doing it twice! LOL

That is how we operate. At Kennywood about the only thing I didn't have a say in was the colors the painters painted everything, our head artists picked everything and did an awesome job at it. But say for example in the Darkness's new scenes I did tell Jim who told the painters what colors I wanted the rooms. Sometimes I'm totally involved and other times I am not. Sometimes I'm the one moving all the props into place and sometimes I am not.

BOTTOM LINE... nothing is done at the Darkness be it marketing, new scenes, what we buy, what we design or build nothing without me involved. Period!

So yes I am involved in everything and have been since day one! The point of this thread is education, not debates. I want everyone to enjoy the photos and be inspired by them. I am personally inspired by all the photos everyone shares!

Larry

PS: Now here are some more pics!

drfrightner
07-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Things are really cooking at the Darkness this week. By weeks end the whole place will be done theming wise, and construction wise. The final steps will be lighting, cleaning, some painting and animations.

Larry

drfrightner
07-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Here are some more. Larry

drfrightner
07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Here are a few more.

The Darkness will be done this Saturday.

All work will switch to Creepyworld and I will start a new thread simply on Creepyworld.

There will be a few more pics coming on Darkness over the next few days.

Also here is one pictures of the steel truck that showed up for our building add on... BEAMS already went into the air folks. Today the first beams went up. Within three weeks the whole structure will be up in the air. For Transworld 2009 show it will be done and a second haunted house will be built.

Take care.
Larry

drfrightner
07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
That is a huge canvas that we painted with real paints, then went over it in blacklight to make it looking like a deep forest. You barely see it because the room is covered in vines but it looks cool its lit with blacklights.

Larry

drfrightner
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Here are some more from the Darkness.

Larry

drfrightner
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
And a few more.

drfrightner
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Here are some more... I took a TON today and I will post more tonight. Gotta run to my sons baseball practice!

Larry

drfrightner
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Here are some more.

Larry

drfrightner
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Here a yet more...

Larry

drfrightner
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Here is our building going up!

And we're totally replacing the windows in the building. Here are a couple pics of that as well. Larry

drfrightner
08-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Here are some more pics of the Darkness today. We are lighting the Darkness and in the final stretch ... we have to get the thing done before next Monday because....

Drum Roll...

The Darkness will be featured on Modern Marvels.

They are coming to shoot on Monday.

Larry

drfrightner
08-13-2008, 12:38 AM
One of my favorite effects is this three headed dog he LOOKS awesome the way we set him up. You have to see the thing work it is awesome. But my favorite thing out of EVERYTHING is the TREX from Scarefactory. When you see how we did this thing you will NOT BELIEVE YOUR EYEBALLS.

He's so close to you you can put your hand in his mouth!

You will never see him coming!

I'm going to get some pics of that this week.

Larry

drfrightner
08-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Here are some LAST FEW PHOTOS...I will send more but these are about he last for the year. Enjoy! BTW...that is Mr. Kipp in the Wolfman costume. ;)

I am SOOOO tired right now... I woke up at like 9am and it is 4:30am and I went to bed at 6am the night before when I woke up at 9am. I spent about 3 hours taking pics and stayed until almost 4am. I have many more to share but just way to tired right now.

Larry

drfrightner
08-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Here are FOUR more then I'm going to bed. Also wanted to let everyone know Im' going to be erasing all the posts to this thread but my own with the photos...

Why? So you can see START TO FINISH like a scrap book.

You can start this whole entire thread over and look at every single page, and every single picture and see just how it started from basically nothing and developed into the photos I'm sharing with you NOW!

I will post more when I wake up but I think I will be in a bit of a coma for a while! LOL

Larry

TheCareTaker
08-17-2008, 05:18 PM
shuuu don't tell any one. especialy not the kids. LOL any way here is a few pics of a last project I worked on for the home thing i do.

not that you want to see.LOL

drfrightner
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey Guys and Ghouls... I have erased all posts on this thread but ones where I have posted pictures so you can see page by page the progress from day one through the last day. What was intesting was reading all these posts from people who say I'm posting these for my ego, or why so many pictures, or whatever. Interesting!

No I'm not promoting them for my ego, I'm posting them to show the development from day one through the completition of the project.

I can't believe anyone would discourage that ... amazing.

As for Shanes comments that I have now swayed him from spending $50.00 to attend...okay whatever. Let me say a few things about that...

For one the Graveyard is so slim I can't really shoot it very good, it looks ten times better than a photo. Secondly you are NOT experiencing the attraction, seeing the CGI, hearing the sound, the actors, the animations you are just seeing photos.

That is the same thing as saying oh I've seen all these trailer of Batman so now I'm not going to see the movie. I watched like 30 trailers on this movie and ran out the first day to see it. When you have something good you show people and it peeks their interest.

Our swamp house... did you walk through it? Did you feel it rocking back and forth??? NO YOU DID NOT... you just saw some photos.

C'mon now!

Larry

drfrightner
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Modern Marvels came to St. Louis and shoot the Darkness yesterday. Here are some pictures! One of the photos here is Jim showing them how we did the moving floor in our swamp house. Larry

drfrightner
08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
BTW... an updated Scarefest.com is only a few days away and we also will have a NEW Darkness 2008 Promo video next week for all to see!

It will be fun!

Larry

Haunting Copy
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
I think it's very exciting, Larry. Congrats!

Sarah

damon carson
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
When does the show air? And what is John doing on the pic on the right? Is he juggling rats? LOL!
Damon

Nightgore
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice pics... make sure you let us know when this airs (I'm sure you will). Also, is that a painting demo being conducted? sweet! -Tyler

scareshack
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the modern marvels, awesome.
Pics look sweet! That looks like one awesome and detailed haunt!

drfrightner
08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
New Darkness Logo ... what do you think?

Thanks
Larry

Haunting Copy
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I like those jagged fingernails. Eww!

damon carson
08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Looks pretty neat! But maybe a bit demonic? I was kinda used to the ring girl. Kinda needs a background or some kinda electric or fog or moon and trees w it? Does Creepy World have a new one? I love the new Scarefest logo. Now that is the $#!*!!!

drfrightner
08-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Here is another version of the same logo. Which one do you like better?

Thanks
Larry

dr0zombie
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I like the second one better. The background gives the reaching creature more depth, to me....

I would agree the image may be a bit too "evil" depending on the locals. I have to assume you really know your locals and know that or if anything that image stirs up will be good for some TV news time. :)

Raycliff Manor
08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Larry,

Don't know how you do it, but once again you've raised the bar! Enjoyed the pix immensely! I'm looking forward to seeing your attraction featured on Modern Marvels! Great news for you and great news for the industry! Congrats on your continued success Larry!

Kel

P.S. Thanks for the chat the other day too! ;)

drfrightner
08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Kel,

Glad your are back in the fold around here... we missed you!

I heard you are opening a haunt in Missouri! Joplin is that right???

We'll have to come up and see you!

Larry

Haunting Copy
08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Too demonic?? Are you serious?

Larry, don't you dare pander to the holier-than-thou crowd!

The guy on the logo is *supposed* to be scary and threatening and
look like he's been to hell and back.

Don't kids wear devil costumes, for goodness' sake?

I like the added red splash behind our lovely demon. Only thing I
would add - and this is nitpicking - would be a slight shadow of
some sort.

Looks great, Larry.

Sarah

Raycliff Manor
08-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Larry! Yes, we actually purchased a property in Joplin so we finally have a PERMANENT location! We're working like crazy to get the attraction done. We got the SBA loan and closed on the property on June 17th this year so I've been working an average of 14 hours a day and 6 days a week! We had our first Fright Team meeting this past Saturday night. We're having to build a virtually brand new team! The new Fright Team is extremely fired up and already becoming a family!:)

I'll try to post pictures soon. Come on over and see us Larry!

Kel

damon carson
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Now that one is cool Larry!
Damon

drfrightner
08-28-2008, 05:36 PM
New Darkness t-Shirt design.

hauntedhousenut
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Are you selling them through your store, Jim did a great job once again finalizing the artwork.

brad
08-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Larry, once again- everything is looking great! I cant wiat to see the place during TW.

And congrats on Modern Marvels.

You need to tell us when they're gonna air it.

damon carson
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice looking shirts.
Damon

Mephisto the Great
09-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Larry mentioned a "hard coat" on the carved foam. What is that coat and how is it applied?

MindWerxKMG
09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.volatilefree.com/qwik_spray_system.asp

UnDeRTaKer313
09-01-2008, 04:41 PM
what is the cheapest thing you can use to hard coat.
and how much does the one that you posted a llink to cost

Greg Chrise
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
cheapest hard coat is cement, sand with acrylic additives like sakrete or quickcrete additives at Home Depot or Lowes. Perhaps 12 to 14 cents per square foot.

UnDeRTaKer313
09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
could i just use the stuff used to stuco. also how weather proof is the stuco vs cement

Greg Chrise
09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Modern Stucco is acrylic and styrofoam and is indeed water resistant but very expensive. It usually has a layer of styrofoam and then requires a brown coat and then the finished stucco mixture. Usually each of those layers is about 25 to 35 cents per square foot.

Most things for haunt decor can stop at the brown coat level and be finished with paint and details then if it is for long term outdoor use then it would require a sealer.

Brown coat sold as a part of a stucco system is also more expensive (twice) than you being able to make your own mixture. Plus, any product that has the polymer already in and you just add water have problems curing and need to be sealed. Like by adding a layer of stucco. Do you have something twice as expensive that has less durability.

You can very easily get yourself into $1 or more per square foot.

Greg Chrise
09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
In comparison for strength, stucco is for on a wall. Concrete with additives can over lay places you actually walk on. Even high traffic like a post office or Walmart entry. Plus way cheaper.

drfrightner
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Here are some more of the Darkness.

Larry

drfrightner
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I will say and I'm not just saying this but this three headed dog from Scareparts just might be my favorite prop/animation we bought last year. Once you add digital sound, in the right setting, with a good set, this thing is just impressive especially for a television commercial...which I will have an updated one coming soon!

Here is a pic of a zrig from Scarefactory jumping up and let me tell you this is REALLY cool when you stick them in a TIGHT space!

Larry

Raycliff Manor
09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Phenominal!!!

Kel