PDA

View Full Version : Narnia

hauntedhousenut
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Who's goin to see it, I'm going on Saturday, it should be better than that disapointment I saw last week.(speed racer)

icandrawem2
05-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Ill more than likely go check it out this weekend. Yeah I stayed away from Speed Racer!

graystone
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I been waiting so long for this movie! I dont know what I have waited longer for the Narnia Movie or Larry to stop removing my post when he dont like them! Now that I think about it I believe Larry must be the Gene Shalit of haunt world!!!! And hes given Shane a three thumbs down he blows rating!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!! HauntedHouseNut what do you think hurry and answer before Larry removes this!!!!! Paul you out there what do you think? Shane

Slain
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Shane,
I don't have time to watch movies.. I'm too busy reading all of the post on Hauntworld 24/7.. My favorite source for excitement..
See I didn't say anything about Larry so my post will stay!!! OOOPPPS..

drfrightner
05-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I thought the first Narnia movie sucked, I list that movie as one of the worst the year it came out. It was just dumb! I will not go see this movie because it will just be another silly cheap looking Lord of the Rings movie. Golden compass was WORSE than Narnia, my God that movie was BAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD.

All of these things coming after LOTR looks terrible.

I'll wait until next week and check out Indiana Jones, which I read is going to be terrible but we'll see. Go see Speed Racer that movie ROCKED! Iron Man ROCKED as well.

Larry

haunterx
05-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I thought Narnia was a good movie. Some parts were alittle slow, however overall it was an entertaining flick. I look foward to the sequel.

hauntedhousenut
05-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Who paid you off to say that speed racer rocked, It clearly sucked, and it's two hours I can never recover!

haunterx
05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
I haven't seen the movie, (speed racer), but the coming attractions looked corny. I'll wait and watch it on pay-per-view.

bamasmith
05-17-2008, 08:05 AM
The first Narnia rocked.I heard from people who saw the new one lastnight and they say this one is even better.Come on now,to say the first one was bad and that Speed Racer was good,well you just lost a little credibility.Or was that an anti-Shane post you made?Let's check the earnings of Narnia and Speed Racer when it comes out on dvd and see who earned the most at the box office.Just kidding,do'nt delete my post,I am just having a little fun!But really,you thought Speed Racer was better than Narnia?

MDKing
05-17-2008, 08:23 AM
I thought the first Narnia was only ok, definitely not great. The battle scene was fun. Those kids were almost too "British" and far too young even though they were supposed to be. The second one is supposed to be darker. I agree though, every one of these movies rip off from Lord of the Rings and none of them measure up!

I just watched the Golden Compass, boy was that LAME! Another movie copying LOTR and an obvious ant-Church storyline....

Allan

drfrightner
05-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Narnia was HORRID!!!!! The story line was LAME, the special effects where no better than you see in anything these days, and the fight scene at the end was same old same old, seen it a thousand times. Once you've seen LOTR, lame movies like Narnia or Golden Compass which sucked worse are just run of the mill.

I'll lay a bet right now that Narnia 2 doesn't make as much money as Narnia 1 because people did think it sucked...

As for Speed Racer, that movie was brilliant, it takes a real creative mind to come up with all that stuff. I will admit when I first saw the movie trailer I was like wow this movie will BLOW!!!!!!!!!!

I was expecting a SUPER LAME movie but I thought Speed Racer was one of the most creative movies I've ever seen. I thought it rocked! If you are an artist, if you can appreciate art or something new and original you'll think Speed Racer is one of the more creative things you've ever seen.

Larry

graystone
05-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Take that bet! Speed racer was a movie made for geeks. Need I say more? Shane

Scareview
05-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Narnia looked dumb and Speed Racer looked dumber! Iron Man was good and the previews to the new Hulk looked great!

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Batman, that is what I want to see. Forget the rest...Batman!

Here is what I heard about different movies... The new Indy movie is going to blow. I might still see it I don't know. It looks like a repeat of the second one which wasn't very good. I liked the first one and the third one better when he was chasing down real artifacts.

Ed Norton himself is unhappy with the new Hulk movie, so he's refusing to promote the movie. If that tells you anything.

Another CAR movie I'm looking forward to is Death Race (remake). I hope that one is good.

Get Smart looks dumb.

Hancock... that looks FUNNY! I will go see this movie for sure.

Lots of really cool horror movies come out after October isn't that weird... I guess they finally realize these haunted houses run the show in October now! LOL

Larry

The Ghoulish Gallery
05-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Let's not confuse personal opinion with facts. The first Narnia film (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) won an Oscar for best achievement in make-up and was nominated for 2 more for sound mixing and visual effects. I believe it was also nominated for something like 35 other awards internationally. Its worldwide gross box office take was $744,783,957. Opening weekend alone it made $65,556,312 showing in 3853 theaters.

By comparison, Speed Racers opening weekend was only $18,561,337 showing in 3606 theaters.

By the way, J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit was published in 1937 and his Lord of the Rings was published in 1948. C. R. Lewis published The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in 1950. Tolkien and Lewis shared a lifelong friendship from 1928 on. It is said they often helped each other out with with story ideas and story elements. Maybe that's why both stories have a similar feel..

As far as the new Indiana Jones film goes, there has been only one negative review and nobody is sure if the guy doing the reviewing even saw the film. Spielberg has been keeping this one under tight wraps and it was publicly screened for the first time this weekend at Cannes. The very first review from someone who has actually seen the film has just been put online and it is very positive. That review is here:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/cannes/article3953920.ece

Of course, Larry is free to like or not like whatever films he wants but his tastes on what is a good or bad film doesn't seem to be in sync with most moviegoers.

Looking forward to Dark Night too....and as ashamed as I am to admit it...The Love Guru.

-Tim Turner
www.theghoulishgallery.com

graystone
05-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Damn you LOL!!!! I knew the facts thats why I told Larry I would take his bet! Now I think Larry will back out! Larry is the bet is still on that Narnia will whip Speed Racers ass right? My guess is you want to back out on the bet. Shane

hauntedhousenut
05-18-2008, 08:08 AM
According to your analogy about movies made after LOTR, any mob movie made after the Godfather must be horrible.

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Okay here is the deal...Narnia only made 56 million this weekend that is about 10 million less than the first, and after Indy gets done next weekend, I would predict that Narnia's second week take will drop to about 28 million. This movie will struggle to get to about 165 million which would be about 130 million less than the first one.

Narnia one was not good, and it will have a huge effect on this one. Additionally the first Narnia opened in the winter with less competition this one is opening in the summer so its going to get hammered.

So Shane, what do you owe me? You lost that bet. Disney was predicting the movie would open with 90 million, it fell about 35 million SHORT! As I predicted this movie would NOT do as well as the first and that has already happened. Pay up baby!

Tim,

As for Indy, if you ever read AICN you'd have seen Paramount has already done 2 or 3 screenings of this movie and all the reviews so far are bad. One of the three said it wasn't as bad as the first two reviews and said it wasn't as good as the first three. I still might go see it but it was pretty much shredded ... I've personally already read four reviews on the movie from geek type people who say its not nearly as good as the first three but we'll see. It will still do huge business.

As I said before I think the most anticipated movie of the summer is DARK KNIGHT, if not for the Joker, Heath Ledger or just a love of the first movie this is the movie everyone wants to see. The last Batman movie only made 206 million dollars... this movie will made 300 plus, and it will open up over 100 million, which would be about 50 million more than the last one.

Bring on the Joker!

As for Speed Racer this movie is a MAJOR box office bomb, but if you ask me its Warner Brothers fault for marketing this movie wrong, not the movie itself. Also they should have never opened this movie in May, this movie should have been a Christmas movie with more families seeing movies together. This is a action packed, funny, family film.

Larry

MDKing
05-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Larry is right it seems when comparing any movie to LOTR. Those movies were so great, so close to perfection, that all movies in that genre look bad by comparison which sucks because I like these type of movies best of all. I'm hoping The Hobbit comes out with PJ's vision and keeps that franchise going, would be good to see the Silmarillion in a movie as well.

I think movies in general took a big dive after Return of the King rans it's course. It's a tough act to follow.....

Allan

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Here are the facts...

Narnia came in on the heels of LOTR, and lets be honest it wasn't very good. It came in at a very weak Christmas season and it cleaned up because of LOTR.

Now we've seen other LOTR type books make it to the theaters and they have since BOMBED. Narnia 2 is already a bomb compared to the first one, ticket prices are more than two years ago when Narnia 1 came out, so it dropped its ticket sales by a ton from the first one. They wanted 90 million for an opening and it got only 60% of that figure. It will DROP LIKE A ROCK in the second week, thanks to Indy.

From there it will just get lost... they're also releasing part 3 to that series next summer but it will do even worse.

I watch these things alot.

Shane you owe me baby...pay up!

I'll do double or nothing that it doesn't even get within 100 million of the first one...we can make it double or nothing.

And the reason it didn't do as well...because the first one blows!

Larry

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Tim,

BTW, Indiana Jones made its debute overseas already at Canne and it recieved according to all reports 'so-so' reaction. I think the movie will get a lot of business but so far the movie seems to be getting run through the trash compactor. I'll still go see it though.

Larry

Matt Marich
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Hellboy, Hellboy, Hellboy, Hellboy

TheNightMare
05-18-2008, 06:42 PM
movie debate... okay my turn.

I'm sure LotR laid the groundwork, but I ENJOYED Narnia more than LOTR. To me LOTR was boring with a lot of walking around. At least Narnia had action throughout.

Narnia>>>>>>>>>>>LOTR

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll go see Hellboy.

As for Narnia did ANYONE actually see this movie this weekend?

Can we get an update?

As for LOTR being boring... well the last movie, the third one was so boring at the end I almost fell asleep so I'll agree with you there. But actions scenes in LOTR can be matched by no movie, especially Narnia.

Larry

graystone
05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Not so fast 1 my bet was that Narnia will beat Speed Racer in all sales. We wont know for a while yet on that . Also there are many many movies not opening as good as they did 2 or 3 years ago for several reasons. The internet, the price of gas was about 1.50 a few years back, lots of things have changed. even milk, bread, hell popcorn and cokes!Some families that have several kids just cant afford it now with the way the economy is now lots have changed many are staying home because they are paying out the ass to get back and fourth to work so their spending money is being burned up. So I think lots of movies will be taking in less. Anyway lets not rush things just yet Larry lets wait and see. I am betting that you will be working my box office before its all said and done! And yes I seen the movie last night it was great maybe not as good as the first for sure its a little darker but still loved it and will go see the 3rd installment! Shane

Matt Marich
05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I actually enjoyed Narnia, Prince Caspian. It is long and a little slow considering it's suposed to be more for kids. The effects, and Make-up work by Weta and KNB are awesome!

drfrightner
05-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Shane,

Go back and read what I wrote, I said Narnia 2 will not make as much money as Narnia 1. I never said anything about Speed Racer beating Narnia because I know that won't happen. Larry

drfrightner
05-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Here is a review of Indy Jones... and it says it blows!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_en_ot/film_review_indiana_jones;_ylt=Ai6bEjgKeLECTTfcNaK SS32s0NUE

The Ghoulish Gallery
05-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Here's a review from Ain't It Cool news (AICN), the site Larry referred to earlier. AICN owner Harry Knowles gave the new Indy film a rave review.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36804

His two associates also had positive things to say about the film. By the way, this site is a major fan boy site. These guys tend to be much harder on films then the general public, unless it is a super hero film - lol. Anyway, if you do a Google search on the name Indiana Jones you see that most of the reviews of the new Indy film are coming in positive.

For those interested, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian finished #1 in box office sales this weekend doing a total of $56,573,000. in 3929 theaters. Opening weekend for Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was $65,556,312 in 3606. Considering the 100+ degree temperatures out on the west coast (which kept a lot of people at home this weekend), those are excellent numbers.

As for Speed Racer, did anyone else hear that Warner Brothers lied about their opening weekend box office take on this film. Originally, Warner's said that Speed Racer had a $20,000,000. opening weekend which would put it in second place right after Iron Man. Well, that turned out to be a bunch of BS. Speed Racer actually made only $18,561,377 its opening weekend which puts it in third place... right after Ashton Kutcher's What Stays in Vegas.

Tim Turner
www.theghoulishgallery.com

drfrightner
05-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Tim,

I don't think Warner lied, when they release estimates on Sunday they're released based on projections for Sunday's business. Actual box office info doesn't come out until Monday. When Warner reported the actual numbers on that Monday they gave the accurate info.

As for Narnia yes it was about 10 million less opening than the first Narnia, which spells doom for reaching the numbers of the original. Narnia 2 won't reach 200 and I doubt it will peak over 160, which will be about 130 less than the first one. It will NOSE dive after Indy opens this coming week.

As for Indy, if you look on that site, you'll read three other reviews that said it wasn't good at all, and if you read the post that I posted you'll read another review that spears Indy, in fact I also watched a video on Yahoo about how the movie was torpedoed at Canne last weekend.

Like I said I will go see the movie but from what I'm reading it doesn't look good but we'll see.

Now... I will predict right now Indy will gross about 100 million for Thursday through Sunday and 130 million for Thursday through Monday. It might reach as much as 150 million total for the five days. Indy will do more in on Saturday than Narnia did this whole entire weekend.

Iron Man will reach 300 million, Indy will reach 300 million and Batman will reach 300 million. Those will be the only three films to reach 300 million with Hancock having an outside shot at 300 million.

I'll make some box office predictions...

Indy 325 million

Batman 315 million

Iron Man 315 million

Hancock 250 million

Kung Fu Panda 185 million

Wall-E 175 million

Narnia 165 million

Mummy 3 135 million

Hulk 125 million

Get Smart 85 million

X Files 85 million

Hellboy 80 million

Again as for Narnia it was a movie that had a built in audience and awareness from the first film, they're suppose to make MORE money on the opening with the second one, and this one failed to hit the mark well about 40 million short of projections.

Speed Racer is another movie that didn't meet projections, coming short about 20 million on opening weekend. Both Speed Racer and Narnia will not hit projections of studios. Narnia will do better overseas than in the US, and Speed Racer will do awesome in Japan and South Korea, helping the movie make a profit. Speed Racer will also probably do awesome in DVD, and its toy line. Speed Racer started life as a Japanese cartoon so it should make a lot of money there.

United States is the #1 film market followed by Japan, followed by England.

Those are the big three...

We'll see how it all plays out for sure!

Larry

mindtumor
05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought the new indy looked interesting but I wouldn't put ANY stock in ANY review Harry Knowles writes. That guy's reviews make me sick. Plus he will post advanced screening reviews of people he doesn't even know so how can you tell if the reviews are real. The fanboy thing goes both ways he is harder on some movies most people would like and easier on fanboy movies most people can't get into.

The Ghoulish Gallery
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Indy was torpedoed at Cannes? Are you kidding? Did you read that somewhere or was that your opinion (a serious question not a snotty response). I say that only because today's Variety is reporting that it got a standing ovation at Cannes that lasted nearly three and half minutes. If you read that comment somewhere, please provide a link to the article because I would be very interested in reading that.

To clarify on my earlier comments, that opening day box office take that Warner's gave out for Speed Racer was not a projection. They gave that number out to the media on May 12, the Monday after opening weekend. Warner Brothers knew the true box office numbers but just rounded up to get second place. Most of the time the media just blindly picks up those box office numbers but this time someone checked on it and Warner Brothers got caught red handed. Basically, Warner Brothers knew they had a bomb and were rounding up to get Speed Racer the second highest grossing spot on it's opening weekend. Having done special make-up effects for film for 20+ years, I can tell you this type of deception is all too common in the film industry.

Some might remember a couple several years back when Eddie Murphy, who often gets a % of box office gross, had to sue Paramount for under reporting the true box office take on one of his films. by under reporting numbers, Paramount literally cheated Murphy out of millions of dollars. I don't remember his exact award amount but it was much, much larger than what he was actually owed.

At least he now has enough cash to fuel his transvestite hooker habit - LOL.

Tim Turner
www.theghoulishgallrey.com

MDKing
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
How can you find LOTR boring? There is a world that had to be created, you can't have nonstop battles throughout the movie. The only people who I have found to think it was boring was those who just don't like fantasy or period movies anyway, or people who haven't the brain capacity to keep up with a convoluted storyline and unable to process dialogue and then give up.....

LOTR were Masterpieces, Narnia has a long way to go. The talking gophers and fauns is just too childish I think. Still Narnia is entertaining and I plan to see it for sure...I do hope I like it more than the first one...

Allan

TheNightMare
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
How can you find LOTR boring?

I just did, I enjoyed the visuals very much, but I guess I didn't grasp the whole story line cause it was the same in ALL 3 movies. Oh my god, gotta protect the ring, I need my precious to stay with me and NOT go to the bad guy, So lets walk a million and a half miles and put it in a safe place. Ugh, get a horse or something to ride on. And I don't mean the trees.

I forget which one I like the best, but I think it was 3. Don't know, I should watch them again. Does anyone know if there on blueray yet? That will be the ONLY time I watch these looooong ass movies again.

I forgot which comedian told the joke about LOTR, but it was hilarious.

Barry
05-20-2008, 06:10 AM
TheNightmare, I agree with you. I never "got" those movies either. Walk for awhile, walk some more, fight some bad guys, walk more... Repeat as necessary.

MDKing
05-20-2008, 06:18 AM
You guys should watch the extended versions of LOTR, they are even better and added bits of action. I've never heard of anyone being critical of the films while focusing on them merely walking! With those movies, you have to pay attention to the whole story, even if it is long it's worth it in the end. I used the subtitles when I first was watching them, made it easier...LOTR is the second most read book of all time behind the Bible worldwide as well...

icandrawem2
05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
First off, the Chronicles of Narnia were written as childrens books, so talking beavers and fauns, and in Prince Caspian, sword-wielding mice are very entertaining to the younger audience. Besides, its fiction and fantasy, and pretty much anything goes. I just watched Prince Caspian tonight and I really enjoyed it, Im not asking any of you to agree with me, Im just simply stating my opinion. And alot of times I enjoy movies solely for the visuals and photography, even if the storyline is a bit flawed and unconvicing.

graystone
05-20-2008, 09:50 PM
This is just a great movie all around. Its nice to see a movie with out all the sex, nudity, cussing ect! Narnia will always be one of my favorites! I look foreward to the 3rd installment! Shane

Patti Ludwinski
05-20-2008, 10:00 PM
How can you say Narnia ripped off Lord of the Rings when The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is a book WAY WAY older than any Lord of the Rings concept?

As for Speed Racer, I walked into the movie theater expecting Speed Racer to be bad. I hated any and all trailers that I had seen, so my expectations were low. I only went because my kids wanted to see it. But to my surprise, Speed Racer was awesome. It was funny. It was exciting. I really enjoyed it!

mindtumor
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Neither Narnia or Speed Racer looked that good to me. My wife is at the theater watching Narnia right now so I am curious as to what she will think about it. And speaking of Indy 4 I just read that Lucas already wants to 5 with Ford playing a secondary role.

mindtumor
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Ok my wife got home and she said she liked Narnia 2 and she said it reminded her of Lord of the Rings. But she is kind of weird...

MDKing
05-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey Patti,

I think you are wrong about Narnia predating Lord of the Rings. Tolkien was penning ideas for LOTR while at brief periods of rest while in the trenches during World War One at the battle of the Somme, and other places as well. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were among a couple others who at Oxford called their club TCBS(Barrovian Tea Club and Society) where under Tolkiens influence and his love for ancient langauge, medieval studies, and Christianity he started writing The Chronicles of Narnia between 1949-and 1954. Tolkien completed The Hobbit and the first 2 volumes of The Lord of the Rings in the mid twenties while at Pembroke College.

Either way, they both were extremely imaginative and important writers!

Allan

drfrightner
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
If Lindsay says Narnia 2 is good, then I'll give it a go and check it out. (Jared, you're horrible...lol.)

mrs_boo
05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks Larry at least someone values my opinion. :)

mindtumor
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe I was just jealous not being invited...

mrs_boo
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I did like the Narnia 2, even though it was very predictable. Reepicheep rocks! I liked the first Narnia movie too. Ironman is one of my new favs now too. Loved that movie!

drfrightner
05-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Just fyi... Naria is more or less officially a bomb. The box office totals on this movie are down about 30% of Narnia 1, and I think Indy will be bringing in the wrecking ball on Narnia. I doubt at this point the movie will make 150 million, which would put it at about half of the first one.

Speed Racer is indeed a bigger bomb, but Narnia did cost more to make 200 to 120. Narnia might do better overseas, as will Speed Racer.

Indy made 25 million last night (Thursday).

Larry

graystone
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Jumping up to fast Larry! Wait till all the sales figures are in! Just because sales are down dont mean its not going to be a money maker. Shane

hauntedhousenut
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Larry so much wants that movie to fail.

Larry you ever heard of Karma.

drfrightner
05-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Let me say this... its kinda like the haunted house business. Just because some guy is doing something and making a business for himself, doesn't mean someone has to open one across the street, and say they're best right out the gate, false advertise, blah, blah, blah.

If you've been in the haunt business long enough you know what I mean. Let's take cool products made by vendors, someone does something then someone else comes along and clones it and tries to sell it cheaper, and tells everyone theirs is better... blah, blah.

This probably goes on in many industries, and yeah it sorta bothers you.

LOTR came out and was just awesome, then every Tom DIck and Harry digs out any book they can find to make a movie just like LOTR. So unless it can stand up on its own two feet, they are nothing more than knock offs even though yes those books are out there. Narnia was made based on the success of LOTR, and so was that HORRID Golden Compass.

So no I'm not pulling for them, unless they have something new to offer. Narnia to me seemed like a cheap, knock off of LOTR.... and if I thought there was anything original to it I might have liked it more.

I like those throw back sword movies, and look forward to a remake of 'Sword and the Sorcerer' or a new Conan movie or and for sure the Hobbit movies. But Narnia I can pass on that...

But the facts remain as for the money end of it its a total disappointment for Disney. They should have released this as a Christmas movie, and Speed Racer should have NEVER put put between Indy and Iron Man.

Stupid mistake! Speed Racer makes 100 million dollars if you release it in January or March or anything that puts it away from blockbusters same goes for Narnia.

Bring on Batman...I'm still waiting.

Indy which made 25 million yesterday will probably end up at about 130 for the four days.

Larry

graystone
05-23-2008, 06:13 PM
What I am thinking? It appears that Larry is afraid of Lions. OMG I just had an idea pop in my head!!!!!!! Larry your so going down! Shane

MDKing
05-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I think I'm going to have to back Larry on this one. First of all I love fantasy movies, and LOTR are my all time favortite movies and my main haunt is inspired by these films in many ways.

But I though the first NARNIA was OK. The costume characters are lame and the main actors. I know it's a kid movie but it's just not believable that these kids could be warriors.

I watched the second one last night and I thought the movie absolutely sucked!! Again the battle scene was good, the second half was tolerable on the film but the first half was so boring and drawn out. The talking badgers and bears and dwarves were bad, the one dwarf could barely walk around in real life and then he's a main warrior? As much as I love Disney, I just don't think they are cut out to do epic sword movies. They are far better off doing the Pirate films. In a medieval war movie where people get their heads or body parts chopped off and it's extrememely gory and disturbing, I don't think you can water it down and fake it even if it's a fantasy film. Braveheart made no apologies for what it was, a violent story during a violent time when people get hacked to death in battle. Lord of the rings had wild battle scenes even in fanasy it worked and changed everything.

Also, there were so many small things in the film that you could easily tell they ripped it from LOTR. You can't depict medieval warfare in a kid friendly way it's impossible. Either they make it the way it should be made and that's violent, gory, and disturbing as it would have been or really water it down for kids and concentrate on the story and have little to no battle scenes.

While I watched the films I felt as if I could actually envision CS Lewis looking over Tolkien's shoulder copying what he was writing and then wrote his story. Or it may have been the studio pouring over Peter Jackson's films and copying them in any way that they could. Don't believe me, watch the TRilogy and then go watch Narnia, you'll be laughing!

Allan

drfrightner
05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Narnia is NOW officially a BOMB. It's only up to $50 million overseas and barely over $100 for the US... this movie is a BOMB! Tim, well I guess you got this one wrong! Disney today said they made a mistake with the release of this movie, basically admitting it is now officially a bomb.

Disney is now saying the movie should have been released as a Christmas movie, which is what I was saying. I think Speed Racer also should have been released as a Christmas movie as well.

Either way I think it has more to do with the fact that Narnia I blew so people didn't really care about Narnia 2, or for that matter part 3 next year.

The box office in general is not doing well, I wonder if this will carry over into the Halloween season.

Everything seems to be working against us right now...bad economy, elections, gas prices, just everything. Going to the movies is usually a cheap entertainment experience. Going to a haunted house isn't far behind... so I wonder how the box office will finish out here, so we know what we might expect.

Oh well... two supposed blockbusters are already BOMBS. Right now Hollywood is batting 2-4 so that isn't good.

I may be wrong but I don't think Hulk will be a big hit either so its looking bleak!

Larry

MDKing
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
People will go back to the movies as soon as they start making good movies again. Hasn't been many REALLY good ones in quite a while now it seems...

Allan

TheCareTaker
06-01-2008, 11:31 AM
saw it cuase the kid had his mind set on it, SUCKED roaly, Indiana Jones was prety good untill the end with the whole space ship leaving thing, speed racer i thought OK not great not bad but bottom line kids liked them all so i will have to wait to get them on DVD and still creativity ideas from them all. LOL

enjoy the day all.