PDA

View Full Version : Who does their own work?

graystone
05-18-2008, 06:24 PM
We have been making several changes to Graystone and its got me thinking. My question to all out there is. Does everyone do their own work or have it hired out? We do 90% of our own work not that we cant afford to have it done but we feel so much better when we do it ourselves. I have seen lots of pics posted and several of them seem to have people they have hired to be doing the work for them. To me that would not seem very gratifying. Just like today I was working and when I got done I stood back and looked and felt good about it. Its just a good feeling to me when you do it yourself and you can tell everyone that you did it. Also when all the gang is down and were all doing different jobs we start pulling pranks on each other its just plain fun!!!!! So everyone tell me how you do it? And if you have it hired out thats cool but I sure can tell you your missing out not doing it yourself. Hell anyone can decorate thats the easy part I am talking about the building, the painting, the whole nine yards. Also I would like to dedicate this thread to Vinny God knows you have had your share of stitches! Shane

screamline studios
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Shane,

I truly understand the feeling of doing a scene from start to finish!!! however some people cannot, this is were SCREAMLINE STUDIOS steps in,we help people fill there imagination or desire to do a scene that they do not know how to do. The fact is there are many haunts who look to set designers to help there visions out. This is nothing to feel bad about. but i do know that feeling of doing the set yourself....GOD IT FEELS GOOD

Just my thoughts

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Tattoo
05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
100% Ourselves

Although we do buy props from a lot of different Vendors.

Design, Build, Decorate, Detail, Staff, Make-Up, Teach, etc. It's all us.

I agree, there is definitely a feeling you get when you stand back and say "I created this!"

Tattoo
05-18-2008, 08:31 PM
100% Ourselves

Although we do buy props from a lot of different Vendors.

Design, Build, Decorate, Detail, Staff, Make-Up, Teach, etc. It's all us.

I agree, there is definitely a feeling you get when you stand back and say "I created this!"

Tattoo
Terror on the Fox

Jim Warfield
05-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I own this house. I helped the first roof go on, the second roof Jessica and I did. I ripped out the old boiler and pipes and radiators, cut down trees, burnt the brush pile, tore down a farmhouse for it's lumber, emptied huge dumpsters because I have nail pulling technology and can also saw off rot and square up a board for reuse.
I built the cupola, the tower, the coffin hallway. I dug 99% of the exit tunnel, I built the curving forms for the cement to make the tunnel.
I have built all my displays except one which was a gift. My critters work off of electric motors, pnuematics, hydralics , fishline, weedwacker line and gravity. My electronics are various voltages, none computer actuated or controlled. I have about 70 motion detector switches in operation here plus manual over rides.
Some of my most unusual and terrifying scares come from very, very cheap, sometimes common items , but when you take the time to set it up right, anything is possible in fright making.
I have also been given the credit for some special effects that were actually supernatural that I could never duplicate, maybe no one could?
As far as hired help with building my things? I can count the hours of labor hired here on my fingers when they aren't in my nose, that is.(The rest of them are So jealous of "Pinky" since he can go hide deeper than the rest.)

Infoamtek
05-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Jim,
You forgot to mention about Mr. Tuxedo donating so many "props".

drfrightner
05-19-2008, 12:54 AM
We do all of our own work. Like Mike said we do buy props from vendors and animations we do the rest... sometimes we'll build the animations ourselves as well. We use to make them for other people so building them ourselves is not a problem. Sometimes it's just easier to buy something from someone else so you can FOCUS on something specific like making something look awesome.

However I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with bringing in a hired gun. WHY?

This is a business plain and simple, and if you can't make your haunt look as good as the haunt down the street then you need to get someone to help you. What is the difference when you hire someone to build your website, or do your graphics because you can't do it as good as someone else? There isn't one...

Remember even though you don't build it, create it or whatever you're still the producer the director, and you need to get what you want and what you know will put you over the top. The director of the best movies ever made typically where not writting by the director, the photography wasn't by the director, nor where the special effects, the sound effects, blah, blah, blah.

You have to go with the best you can find... I hire Brainstorm for graphics because I think they are the best, as an example. The people I choose to work with are people I think have something great to offer, like Rogues Hollow he has something great to offer, Unit 70, or whomever.

I thought that new effect from Skulltronics was AWESOME, could you make one yourself? Sure and I know we could, but would it be as good, do you have time to do that, would it be right? Those are all things you have to ask yourself.

Hire the best people, be the director and you will go far.

Laryr

graystone
05-19-2008, 06:43 AM
I could be wrong but your post sounded more like an advertizement ! Jason came out point blank and said thats where he came in. You went around the world when you should have just said call Halloween Productions. Anyway personally I think if you have to hire the design, layout ect then you got a strike aginst you from the get go. To me you dont seem to be a very creative person if you cant put your own effort into it. Dont get me wrong this is not about buying products to fill the vision this is about building getting your hands dirty, puting in long hours on 100 degree days! Hell Screech from Saved By The Bell can direct but will it be good? Anyone can stand back and say do this or do that but without ones on vision and being able to get in and get your feet wet then I am afraid in many ways you have already failed. Just my opinion. Everyone feel free to express your thoughts as well. I am not saying I am right I am saying this is HOW SHANE FEELS ABOUT IT! Shane

hauntedhousenut
05-19-2008, 07:54 AM
It's people like Larry that helps vendors, he probably buys more props than anyone out there, and as far as his creativity, I think your wrong there, He's done alot around the country as well reinventing his haunt.

graystone
05-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Go read the post this was not about Larry spending more than anyone.I have companies that tell me I am their biggest client but thats not the question here. I did not ask who spent the most. Also I said nothing about his creativity. I just said or ment that his post sounded like an ad to give him a call and he will build you a haunted house. Honestly no offnce towards you Larry none what so ever. This is about who goes out and actually gets dirty and feels the reward of busting their ass and feeling good about it. Please dont turn this in to a Larry thing Larry did not invent Halloween nor did he invent Haunted Attractions that was way before his time! Again who does their own work. Shane

Jim Warfield
05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
It is just alot easier for me to do something myself rather than try to find to motive for someone else to do it and give it real effort and attention.
When I worked in the trades I never saw a case in which two men could get more done than one man who knew what he was doing. Why? Because if there are two, one is always the "Boss" and the time spent telling, explaining, explaining a few more times...the single worker already has a big lead on this process.
Focus, dedication, desire, these things are definately missing in most people when they are working soley for the benefit of someone else's bank account with no percentage of the action.
I think it's human nature, we all wake up with a hungry stomach each day, some fill it honestly some steal from others . The desire to accomplish something noteworthy and have be from our own efforts is a hungry stomach not quickly or easily filled by just food.
It's a very abstract concept to the majority, they can't understand.

Kevin Dells
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey gang,

Been awhile since iv'e chimed in.
Great topic though and a sedgeway to give a little sneak peek.

At Woods of Terror we do everything "In house" except for large scale Props, those we would buy.

All our building, painting and decorating comes straight for our warped little minds!
Much better way for us at least to expand further then to hire on people to do what we can do ourselves. I also agree i get really excitied about standing back and thinking "Hey we designed and built that ourselves".

So without further ado i present what iv'e been working on as one of the new features at Woods of Terror this season. I won't say what it's function is (unless you message me then i"ll share) i don't want to just give away the scare. I meen hey some of you may visit !

Before

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/babyman1/p10406122.jpg

After about half way done!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/babyman1/P10506122.jpg

BIG Difference!

twohlgemuth
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Here in High Point, NC deep in the Spookywoods we have to do our own work so our haunt does not look like something you can buy at Transworld. Nothing against the cool stuff you can buy, but when you seen it once at a haunt it really takes away the wow factor when you see it at another haunt. Shameless plug, (Our full body Creature Suits look really cool coming at you out of this place.) We'll sell you that part. www.spookywoodsfx.com (http://www.spookywoodsfx.com)

Before Shot:
http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/P1010012.JPG

After breathing foam for 3 weeks:

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/IMG_6494.JPG

Here is a photo with the crew from Woods of Terror coming through. Hey, there is Kevin Dells promoting Scream Fest.

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/IMG_6659.JPG

Here is our own work again, this time making a Voodoo Bayou in the middle of a Christmas Tree Forest.

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Voodoo_Bayou/IMG_6467.JPG

Speculo
05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Really don't we all build our own haunts, except those rare exceptions that get them built by Oak Island or HP or something? Certainly some haunts buy more "stuff" i.e. props and scenic items that other haunters might recognize, but for the most part its the haunt owner and thier employees that build it all together I would think.

What I find really interesting is when a haunt creates a monster, or an impressive facade, or some intense massive effect that has never been seen before..(Thanks Tony!). But on the flip, I think using existing haunt vendors to make cool stuff for you is also great, because the goal really is to give the customer a great show however you can.

We make a bunch, buy a bunch and modify a bunch of stuff for our show. But if I was in a market were most of the haunts bought at transworld, I think we wouldn't because the goal is to be a great haunt that is different, and in a crowded market that must be so much more difficult!

Thanks

Ben
NETHERWORLD

SpookywoodsFX.com
05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I think Ben nailed it. I typed up something similar last night, took too long, clicked submit and was logged out :confused:
I'm a BIG fan of team work. Not one haunt owner has done it all themselves, save a yard haunt. Shane, you make one point and turn around and contradict it. What's the point, exactly? Everyone has their own talent. Here at Spookywoods WE build our own scenes, %95 of our own masks and about %50 of our own props. It's not a pissing contest, we work together. Tony works as much, if not more than any man I've ever met, (except myself :rolleyes: ) and still finds the time to join in the building and painting fun of his own haunt.
Give your guests the best show you can, weather you build it yourself or pay someone else to do it, and when they run out screaming and crying, well.... THAT's gratifying.

SpookywoodsFX.com
05-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I left someone out and didnt mean too... Our very own Jim Warfield. I think most will agree, Jim is in a class all his own. A unique man with an extremely unique haunt. He's a one man crew!

graystone
05-19-2008, 09:20 PM
What did I contradict? You have lost me? Shane

SpookywoodsFX.com
05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
You're easy to lose. Pay attention.

I could be wrong but your post sounded more like an advertizement ! Jason came out point blank and said thats where he came in. You went around the world when you should have just said call Halloween Productions. Anyway personally I think if you have to hire the design, layout ect then you got a strike aginst you from the get go. To me you dont seem to be a very creative person if you cant put your own effort into it. Dont get me wrong this is not about buying products to fill the vision this is about building getting your hands dirty, puting in long hours on 100 degree days! Hell Screech from Saved By The Bell can direct but will it be good? Anyone can stand back and say do this or do that but without ones on vision and being able to get in and get your feet wet then I am afraid in many ways you have already failed. Just my opinion. Everyone feel free to express your thoughts as well. I am not saying I am right I am saying this is HOW SHANE FEELS ABOUT IT! Shane

Your mention of Screech directing. Will it be good?
You can build your own haunt, but will it be good?
It's about getting the right person for the job. If it's you, great. If not, hire it out.

Your mention of buying products to "fill the vision"... Why not do it ALL Shane? That's what your topic is about. You don't know how? Not creative enough?
You talk of strikes against haunt owners that hire out their work and how they have failed if they are not doing it themselves....

Could have been a fun topic, but it turned tasteless pretty quick.

graystone
05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
If its tasteless you made it that way not me. My opinion is just that MINE! Just like your opinion is yours I never said I was right and everyone else was wrong just like no one said I was wrong and they were all right. My point to this is feeling good about what you have done go to my first post and dont skip over it. Again I said I was working on a project and I stood back and looked and felt good about it. I dont see how someone feels gratified by hiring everything out. Again I was taking about building,desigh,layout ect. I was not talking about buying or any vendors yes you can buy all day from vendors to add to your project thats just the icing on the cake! Again this is about getting dirty and sweaty. You missed what I was driving at. Shane

TheNightMare
05-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Could have been a fun topic, but it turned tasteless pretty quick.

Thats cause shane likes to debate

SpookywoodsFX.com
05-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I read your first post. And your second. And your third. That's why I typed what I did.

It's all good Shane. This is your world, I'm just a squirrel. Carry on.

TheNightMare
05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Here in High Point, NC deep in the Spookywoods we have to do our own work so our haunt does not look like something you can buy at Transworld.

That looks awesome, Wish I lived closer so I could go. Thanks for posting pics

ScaryJerry
05-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Like many of you, I started as a poor yard haunter where I built everything. There was a tremendous amount of fun in that. I love working with my hands and I love scaring people. What could be better?

Then things got out of control and I needed a way to build a larger haunt and still get a feeling of satisfaction. So I started Scary U, a haunted house school for teens. Each year we bring in 30 or so local disadvantaged teens for a free 6 week program. They learn teamwork and leadership skills while they build and operate a commercial haunted house.

Many of the students return year after year. Each season they take on higher leadership positions and more extensive projects. The oldest is now 21 and started when she was 6. Halloween offers enough varied projects and roles that every teen finds their niche. Watching the rag tag gang that can't stand each other turn into a well oiled machine is amazing.

My role has become more producer than designer. I'm living life vicariously through the kids. At 58 years old it makes me feel much younger to work side by side with teens rather than peers (not that there aren't a few of those around). And our community REALLY needs programs for teens.

We've resorted to buying a few pneumatics and they are my least favorite props. Last year we had our first customer injury from one and we've had a lot of close calls. I'm concerned that there aren't any sensors in any of them to tell them to stop before they hit someone. How hard could that be?

So my creative talents are now focused mostly on commercial products. Sadly, I can't afford all the expensive materials needed to just keep it a hobby. And I hope to actually make a profit someday on my products. Each year I say: "This will be the year!"
I get my ego stroked now at the trade shows and in emails. The kids get to keep all the kudos for the haunt itself. In fact, once they start running they don't much want me around.

We all have our psychological needs. Working with my hands, scaring kids, working with teens - these all do it for me.

Best to all

Jerry Jewell
SkullTroniX
916 600-2295

MDKing
05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
I have seen Spookywoods and I'll be the first to say that they are amazing. Great haunts, great crew, and great vision that runs through their entire process of their haunt. They surround themselves with like-minded people with talent and the result is an amazing show.

If you need help making youe event the best it can be, don't be afraid to get it!

Allan

Scareview
05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
We take alot of pride in doing our own work too. It's just time consuming and sometimes tough to get everyone on the same page as far as the look that you want or expect. I can see where hiring someone (one person in charge) could take away from all of the internal drama. Sometimes there can be too many chiefs and not enough indians. That's just us though.

icandrawem2
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Heres a before, during, and after shot of our own work.
http://a989.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_d813c94ae72d5bcb079e58ec8084185c.jpg
This shows the idea from initial concept through the finished product...with some minor field changes along the way of course:)

graystone
05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Great Job Guys!!!Looks Really Good! Shane

scareshack
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Heres a before, during, and after shot of our own work.
http://a989.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_d813c94ae72d5bcb079e58ec8084185c.jpg
This shows the idea from initial concept through the finished product...with some minor field changes along the way of course:)

That looks amazing...great work.

I can understand the love u guys get building your own stuff and getting the satisfaction from it...nothing like that.
Nothing wrong with if u have to turn to outsourse work to get the job done.

I just a homehaunter but can apprectiate the build it urself and fell the love from what u did...may be on a different level...but the self rewards to ones self is great knowing they did it them selfs and peoples are enjoying it. Nothing better to hear.."where did u buy that", "i made it" or, "how much to make me this".

SomeThingInTheIce
05-20-2008, 05:57 PM
So I guess Walt Disney was not very creative? He brought in the best people to build his vision.

TheNightMare
05-20-2008, 06:03 PM
So I guess Walt Disney was not very creative? He brought in the best people to build his vision.

LOL, ... BUUUUURNNNNED

Kevin Dells
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
LOL, ... BUUUUURNNNNED

Yes but it was Disney that did have the vision,yet it was such a huge vision he couldn't have done it himself even if he wanted to!

The real fact is that the vision has entertained people for many years, that i would call fufilling a dream,and thats even better!

graystone
05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Walt is Dead! You dont need to hire the best to be the best! You just need to be a hard worker and love what your doing, look at some of the comments and the pictures thats been posted here. They have become the best at working on being the best. Shane

icandrawem2
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Looks like the subject just got changed from DIY yard haunts to multi billion dollar theme parks, and thats like comparing apples to oranges, ALTHOUGH the general mission behind each is to provide guests with an entertaining experience. There is definitely a direct relationship between the size/budget of an attraction and how much work is actually contracted out. Just because you cant do alot of the physical work yourself doesnt indicate your lack of creativity and direction and a vision of what the final product will become (in Walt's case, and he was a very multi-talented person in many aspects) On the other hand, all those DIYs out there who work year round on their yard haunt, doing most of the work themselves, create some pretty amazing things as we have all witnessed. I just think outsourcing is a matter of budget and time...after all, its still YOUR vision as to what is created. If you have the time, the talent, and the knowledge to do it yourself, I say go for it, because it is that much more rewarding in the end.

So I dont think one guy should look down on the next guy just because he outsources alot of his work...and vice versa.

ScareShack, thanks for the comments on the artwork and construction photos. Scale models are next on my agenda of things to do...dont worry ill post photos ;)

Infoamtek
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Foamcore is great for making models. i"=1' is a good working scale.

graystone
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the post!!!!!!!!!! I can see where your coming from on this one! Shane

icandrawem2
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah I like using foamcore, but these particular ones im going for high detail so ill probably go with real materials and build 1:24 scale (1/2"=1') I wanna get some good modelmaking skills in my portfolio.

Killer Katie
05-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I can see both sides. I am most definatley proud when I bring something together that kicks ass, but knowing alot of people that have great ideas and lack the skill to execute them - I can see a sense of accomplishment in finding the perfect people to come together and complete the final product. This is the difference in "creative mentality" and "management mentality." I don't see that it is any less creative.

Kevin Dells
05-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Here in High Point, NC deep in the Spookywoods we have to do our own work so our haunt does not look like something you can buy at Transworld. Nothing against the cool stuff you can buy, but when you seen it once at a haunt it really takes away the wow factor when you see it at another haunt. Shameless plug, (Our full body Creature Suits look really cool coming at you out of this place.) We'll sell you that part. www.spookywoodsfx.com (http://www.spookywoodsfx.com)

Before Shot:
http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/P1010012.JPG

After breathing foam for 3 weeks:

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/IMG_6494.JPG

Here is a photo with the crew from Woods of Terror coming through. Hey, there is Kevin Dells promoting Scream Fest.

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/IMG_6659.JPG

Here is our own work again, this time making a Voodoo Bayou in the middle of a Christmas Tree Forest.

http://spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Voodoo_Bayou/IMG_6467.JPG

Tony, you caught me!LOL

Had to point out that shirt didn't you! Truth is i advertise anybody's and everybody's haunt, it's all i have in my dresser drawer is scary black t-shirts!

Iv'e also been caught wearing Dream Reapers and Theater of Lost Souls attire as as well but also have a very cool selection of Woods of Terror stuff too.

I advertise haunting in general because of the brotherly love of it all, if you want i"ll send you my address and wear your shirt as well if you send me one!

That is a great picture by the way, first haunt picture inside somebodyelses haunt with my daughetr Katie. The one in the back that was nudged out of the safety zone of myself by Morgan my assistant.LOL
That was a very fun night thanks again for having us!

Scareview
05-21-2008, 08:26 AM
This is all still in the works and was a real bitch to put together, especially the roof. We have got ALOT more to do too! This was taken with a crappy camera phone so sorry for the poor images.

Advise from ANYONE on what to do or changes to make would be appreciated.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/Scareview/scareview50.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/Scareview/scareviewfront2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/Scareview/scareviewhearse.jpg

MDKing
05-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Hey Nate,

After seeing some of your work first hand I am even more impressed. The new sketches look awesome!

Allan

twohlgemuth
05-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Before Photo
http://www.spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/House/Bathroom_1.jpg

After Photo
http://www.spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/House/IMG_7044.JPG

Got to love working in blood all night!
http://www.spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/House/IMG_7071.JPG

MMManiac
05-21-2008, 08:52 AM
pretty sweet pics!

TheNightMare
05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
What the hell man. Why you calling me out? I didn't call you out. All I did was respond to SomeThingInTheIce and said burned. I just thought it was funny b/c it was true and a good point that was made.

If you go back and reread all the post in this thread I have already praised all the people who do all the work. I also thanked the people for posting pics.

So sit back, relax, enjoy this thread and STOP trying to pick a fight/argue.

graystone
05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Bro wtf? Were did I call you out? I have went back and looked and dont see it? I do see there you said I like to debate LOL so again have I missed something. If so bro I am sorry but you have lost me on this one. Look its all cool lets meet drive over to Larrys and egg his house!!!ROTFLMAO! Shane

Kevin Dells
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Tony and crew,

I personally loved that Saw schene it was very well done and if you remember right Tony i had asked you how you did the saw through the leg bit,you had me fooled I will say that much!

If you don't mind divulging a little info i would like to know for the tilework did you use actual tile? Foam or is it painted?

Secondly im not a huge fan of depicting movie schenes at all even though people at my haunt do thats why we have Movie Maniacs. My question is do you feel the crowds response is more of a liking to it than a thought up schene they have never seen before? Iv'e heard mixed reactions from owners, some say the crowds get upset if there isn't a movie theme.

Personally like i said im not into it, but still love to see it at the same time as to how well it has been depicted and made real.

I guess all in all i could very well live without the Jason's,and Freddies every haunt seems to have. Those movies were never huge to me to begin with so i never found the love to have it as a schene in a haunt.

Not to carry on with this topic but to better explain myself, i do love the Hillbilly house at Dream Reapers which i believe Jim Irwin built while slow framing his dvd player, now thats cool as hell !! Tons of detail in that house as well!

Iv'e had the honor to work as an actor in that house and theres sooo much depth to all the layers of whats there,you can't even begin to grasp it all even after a full weekend.

And for the two guys bickering about nothing lets let it die huh fella's this is a great topic,let's not ruin it by comparing male members! Jeez!

icandrawem2
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Kevin, I can speak on Tony's behalf regarding this particular scene. The tile, as you can see from the photos, was cut from 1/2" BC sanded ply. The reason I chose this method was for 2 main reasons: 1. They dont make (to my knowledge) FRP tile board with 4"x6" tiles and 2. Installing real tile would have been great, but very expensive and time consuming. I wanted to keep with the look from the film with the rectangular tiles so I cut saw kerfs about 1/8" deep into all of the plywood sheets. with 2 or 3 coats of high gloss paint and sanding, you got yourself some nice looking tile walls. The scene isnt perfect by any means, but the guests knew what it was the instant they walked in. Im such a perfectionist I could have spent weeks on this one scene and still not be finished with it...sometimes you have to get to a point where you just say "OK its finished" and walk away.

As far as doing scenes from movies, I am not the biggest fan of it because youre using someone elses intellectual property to benefit yourself...although when you do, 95% of your guests can relate to what they are experiencing to a certain extent. That story has been engrained in their minds and that anticipation of what is next really strikes fear in alot of folks.

Oh, and please pardon that awful looking corpse in the room (one of those last minute things!)

twohlgemuth
05-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree that movie sets should be done only if it can be done right. Nothing is worse than a movie set done poorly with mis cast actors etc.

The reason we choose the bathroom set was due to one of our actors, Steve Lucas, came down with a disease where he lost his leg. I promised Steve we would come up with a set for him to work in. He was a great sport about the whole idea and after a life cast of what was left of his leg he was ready to go to work. This one scene turn out to be of the most talked about last year. Seeing him scare the hell out of people as he cut his leg off and crawled toward them turned him into the star of the show.

TheNightMare
05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
And for the two guys bickering about nothing lets let it die huh fella's this is a great topic,let's not ruin it by comparing male members! Jeez!

I agree

--------

Also Shane, page 4 post 2 - you put my name there and your tone didn't sound nice. Also I know Walt is dead. What do you think I'm 5 or something. lol

As far as egging goes, I'll buy the first dozen.

Water under the bridge, no worries, now lets enjoy this topic with popcorn and bloody butter. Mmmmmm

graystone
05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
That should have read SomeThingInTheIce he made the comment about Dead Walt LOL! MY BAD now SomeThingInTheIce can jump me now LOL. Shane

SomeThingInTheIce
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
She is not going to jump you. Now "What's my name Bitch?"lol. (thats from American pie) its all good. Great photos everybody.

shawnc
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Tony, That's interesting that you bring that up. I have someone who lost both legs who wants to act for me this year. At first I was kind of leery about it for fear of offending someone, but he loves the idea and can't wait. Now it's just a matter of coming up with the perfect scare.

screamline studios
05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
SOMETHING IN THE ICE!!!!!

JACKPOT,

Lets step back a second on everything that goes into a production!!!! why should anyone feel guilty for hiring people that would fill your creative thoughts.....I personally look at it like this, AGAIN, ICE nailed it!! did walt disney do every thing by himself i would say NOT!!! but he was a very smart man by hiring people that were qualified for what his dreams and drive were made of. To some this is a travesty, to others it is a beginning of a legacy, you choose.

Jason Blaszczak
SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Jim Warfield
05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Part one was "Do you do your own work?"
Part two (I guess?) should be:"Do you scare all of your customers yourself?"
My answer is :I try real hard to do this all year long but , unfortunately I have to hire help in that fall season.
It is funny when some kid comes through here for their first time and think that they have made an amazing discovery as I scare them again when the kid says, "It's him again!"
Then they will commonly be heard to say things like:"How does he keep being in front of us?"
Then the dumb question comes : "Don't you ever get lost in this house?"
OR, "You must know where ALL the secret doors and passageways are?"
The parents add to the "Duh"-Factor with common gems like:"How many rooms are in this house?"
My answer:"All of them."
I mean, really! How do you count "rooms" when you divide a big room into smaller ones, does this make for a larger house? NO! Is a hallway considered a "Room"?
Yet, I have some very interesting hallways here! (We will just forget about them, save them for a surprise later.)
As the person running around here scaring people I do pass the thrill around from one customer to the next so, theoretically at least everyone gets a chance to laugh at the other guy jerking, jumping , screaming, gasping, flinching..
Recently someone might have "borrowed"a small prop, I had nothing to use , so I pulled out one of those dark blue farmer's handkerchiefs, pinched it in the center and made it flop-fly like a bat and managed to scare the customers!
(Or maybe it was the snot-stains and booger-bombs under the "wings" that scared them?)
20 feet later as they were leaving the steeple area a real bat buzzed them and scared most of the group for good measure. He forgot to drag his rabid fangs across the tops of their heads. "More trainiong exercises for you young Bat!"

Motograter
05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah we build and design everything 100%. I build a few props myself and we buy props from vendors also. Thats about it