PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness looking for make up artist

drfrightner
05-20-2008, 05:02 AM
The Darkness is located in St. Louis. Looking for highly skilled make up artist to manager our actor room, costumes and more.

Please send your resume along with amount of money you would request, and pictures of your work.

We are open 6 nights in September and every night in October through November 3, 2008.

Contact Larry Kirchner darkrides@sbcglobal.net

drfrightner
05-20-2008, 05:04 AM
We're in need of construction workers, designers, people with foam carving skills and over all people who can work on dark rides, and haunted houses.

Contact Larry Kirchner at darkrides@sbcgloba.net

Slain
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Larry,
I can send you a resume of some 20 plus years of experiance in the haunt industry.
I don't know if you can afford me though...
What days/ months/hours would you looking at employing my services?
My fee is a minimum of 40 hours per week at $150 per hour. Plus two assistants at $25 per hour.
This would also need to include a meal per diem per day for all three plus transportation with room and board...Each having their own room. Let me know and I can get this resume out by weeks end..

graystone
05-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Slain and his guys are worth every penny I have used them many many times! I highly reccomend them! You cant go wrong with this team!!!!! Shane

drfrightner
05-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Slain,

You can send your resume to me at darkrides@sbcglobal.net

I doubt that I could afford that kind of money. First off I we're not even open 40 hours a week especially in September. Where do you live?

Im willing to work out deals to make things happen.

I have a big budget but I don't know about that kind of money. WOW.

Set fees might be better for me.

Larry

icandrawem2
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Larry I sent you an email last night are you ignoring me? Just checking up.

Slain
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Larry,
My makeup artist gets a flat fee of $2500 per week (3 hours per night) $150 per hour for any overtime..
My cad guy and set designer gets $200 per hour no minimum required..
For my services and committment to you haunt I can do a flat fee of $4000 per week
I will need three(3) rooms (and $50 per diem per day for each for the duration of our stay...I would make our own reservations...
A down payment of half up front would be required. Where was it you wanted me to send the resume?

drfrightner
05-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Slain,

That is probably too rich for my blood, thanks for responding though.

Nate,

I did not get an email.

Thanks
Larry

icandrawem2
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Larry, not sure why it didnt get to you, anyways I was just wondering if you were looking for designers solely in St Louis or would you be interested in freelance? I know we spoke a while back about me doing some work for you but never really got any farther than that. Just lemme know either way, thanks man.

Slain
05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Slain,

That is probably too rich for my blood, thanks for responding though.

Nate,

I did not get an email.

Thanks
Larry
That what I figured from the get go. You have neither

kpolley
05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, very mature. I see the level of professionalism that we can expect here. Also, if you are paying a CAD guy $200 an hour you have lost your mind! CAD is EASY to run, I have run AutoCAD for 8 years now and know a million other people that can run it just as well or better. In industry, they might make $20 or $25 per hour MAX. You're getting hosed!!!

On a related note...Larry, are you beginning to see how affordable my make-up services are???

drfrightner
05-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Slain,

I have neither what? I don't know of any haunt in the nation that would pay that kind of money. Don't you work at ATROX? Do they pay their actors? When you're paying your actors and you have 120 of them between two haunts, with a payroll of $30,000 per week there is NO WAY IN HELL I am paying some make up artist unless he's freaking on Rick Bakers level that kind of money. I couldn't ever afford that, and neither could any other haunt who's got a massive payroll.

I've got offers from several make up artists from this post, people wanting $100 a night, nothing like what you're asking.

I say this...if you can get that kind of money good for you! But no reason to knock those who wouldn't ever in their wildest dreams pay that kind of money.

Would never happen here or 99% of attractions across the country.

You're talking Hollywood movie budgets...haunts don't have 100 million dollar budgets sorry.

Larry

Kevin Dells
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Um sorry but i really do have to agree with Larry on this one!

Dam Slain it's a Haunted House for crying out loud! People see your make up for what 15 seconds then their haulin a$$ to the next room! Like Larry said it's not Hollywood, your not going to have the make up on a theater screen for two hours, you putting it on a person who does a quick scare and then disappears!

I talked to Larry after he messaged me and probably would have taken up his offer if i didn't live a 1000+ miles from St. Louis, i would have asked for 100 maybe a 150 bucks a night fee, plus room and rental car( Just so i could get around.)

Larry would have got somebody skilled at doing all the themes imaginable to relate to a haunt, Help with costuming, I would also throw in acting seminars if wanted, and i would have asked him for an acting spot as well because i get into character and jump into action for FREE!

Oh and did i mention i also build and distress as well without CAD! It's called a tape measure and know how!

Sorry man not trying to put you down, im sure your good at what you do but MAN thats a LOT of Coin! Again we are talking Haunted Houses here,not the next huge slasher flick!

hauntedhousenut
06-09-2008, 05:58 AM
You guys really believe he's serious, it sounded to me like he was have fun with larry on this.

Kevin Dells
06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
You guys really believe he's serious, it sounded to me like he was have fun with larry on this.

No i don't believe him, and maybe he was screwing with Larry who knows?
And if he was serious then Dam dude step aside,PLEASE!

I was just trying to say i work MUCH cheaper!

Actually the situation im in now i drive well over an hour to work at the haunt i work at, pay 95% of the gas out of my pocket and everything i build is vollunteer time on my part. I would much rather an owner buys a prop or materials for the show!

I have a small cabin on the haunt property with a couple of bunk beds and a fire pit, i use my truck and my tools (roughly 25,000 $ worth). I drive out after work on friday, set up camp build friday night all day saturday and most of sunday and ask for nothing in return.

Haunting is my hobby, my craft, my love i do it for me, my crew to enjoy and to see and hear the Ohh's and Ahhs and screams of the patrons as whatever i built bites them in the ass!

Haunting to me is not about a paycheck..... Yet! LMAO

Why do guys who build pyrotechnics such as fireworks displays put so much love into it? Is it the paycheck, the danger of it is insane, or is it because they love the crowd reaction to what they have built as it goes off. The squeel from the little kid in the audience when that real big pretty one goes bang!

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I can't believe ANYONE would pay their make up guys that kind of money...no freakin way. Those prices are absurd! You'd go broke!

Haunted houses just don't make that kind of money, to support an actor staff of 40 to 100 or more then hire a zillion make up artists making that kind of money night after night.

Maybe if you don't pay your actors you could get away with that...but to me it doesn't sound fair to ask your actors to bust their ass for free all night while you pay the make up artists a zillion dollars. No way!

If I was an actor at that haunt I would picket the place! LOL

Larry

screamline studios
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I really do believe as a make up artist you need to be compensated for your work and not chump change either, also be flexable owners love someone that takes the bull by the horn and runs with it, pay rates that are great happen when the owner has full belief in you and knows your mr. reliable, when your ass on the line and you produce under high stress and have tangible evidence of your quality of work this is were you better be making some serious money!!!! if you are not its time to move on!!!! Keep in mind there is not one person alive that goes to the store and says boy i hope i have to pay a high price for this item we always want a deal we always want the highest quality for the lowest price.but at that point somethings got to give pay more for quality or pay less for so so ... You decide

Just my thoughts
Jason Blaszczak

SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

drfrightner
06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Jason,

I agree with you 110%. I would love to find someone to take the bull by the horns trust me. But paying what Paul was quoating is absurd, no haunt that I know of would pay that in a zillion years.

But you are right they should be paid a great wage!

Larry

screamline studios
06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Larry,

Screamline has had many people come and go over the years and one person that comes to mind is a guy by the name of mike ross, he broke away from screamline to follow his dreams as a make up artist and within two years he was working under V neil as foam latex runner for pirates of the caribbean 2 and 3 , he worked on resident evil 3 and so on!!! I guess what i am trying to say is talent grows with desire, and passion is the talent. Pauls price is based of what he believes he is worth, is he over priced by all means YES but who the hell am i to say what he is worth, i would imagine that you may have people at your haunted attraction bitching about the ticket prices(depending on the market) but what is your time worth larry, you work hard for your passion. So i guess in the end it up to the customer or the owner (in pauls case) to deside if its money well spent...

Just my thoughts
Jason Blaszczak

SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 04:51 AM
Jason,

Haunts in general do not make the kind of money to pay those prices I think we both already know that. What someone is worth is soley based on what someone is willing to pay. He could be the best make up artist in the world but if no one will pay him he's worth nothing.

It is really no different than a classic car, one guy thinks its worth more money than we make in a lifetime and another guy thinks it worthless. I think what I'm saying is haunts desire the best they can find but no one would pay those prices.

They are so out of line they border on totally absurd. Our haunts have 40 to 60 actors each... so that is about 100 for both events. Do you know how many people I would have to hire and at those prices I would just go out of business.

We are NOT Pirates 2 and 3, or Indiana Jones, or Star Wars with 150 to 200 million dollar budgets. That is what makes haunters so awesome, we sometimes do MORE for LESS than most movies.

I would agree there are guys working in haunts better than guys working on movies... we have a passion for things, and it keeps us involved, but the dollars only go so far.

You can't pay kings ransoms otherwise you won't play long!

Make up artists are a huge part of a haunts success but hiring 4 or 5 at thousands of dollars per week...will never happen!

Again you think XYZ car is worth this and I don't... so you try to sell it to the next guy no big deal!

Larry