PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones...

drfrightner
05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Anyone have a review?

Larry

Scareview
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
I saw it last night and was very disappointed!!! It was the worst one of the four.

I''ll just say that if you have followed the trilogy in theaters from the beginning you will probably feel the same. I think this was an attempt to interest the younger generation that never grew up on Indiana Jones.

I wont ruin the story line for anyone that plans to see, this was just my opinion.

toothtwister
05-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I took my two oldest boys to see it yesterday. They enjoyed it. I didn't think it was that bad.

Lately I have been lowering my expectations going in to see a movie. That way, if the film sucks I am not that disappointed and if it is actually good, I feel like I got my moneys worth.

A movie can be good but if we expect it to be great then we are left disappointed.

Harrison Ford does look a bit tired in some spots, but the movie moves along at a pretty good clip.

Of the four films I would put this one in a tie for third with "Temple of Doom".

Thad

Scareview
05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
You are right...I guess I expected a little more than I should have. Harrison Ford played his roll well for his age. It was the rest of the movie that I thought sucked. Just didnt have the same atmosphere as the rest.

FrightFarms
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I want my money back. Indiana Jones has a Close Encounter of the Third Kind
Harrison didnt' even appear to be into the role, IMHO.
For those of you who haven't seen it, please.... save your money.
You'll thank me later.

dr0zombie
05-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I was somewhat surprised as I expected it to be really bad and it was a decent movie. Not the best Indiana Jones in the series but a valid addition to the series. I thought Harrison Ford played his role well considering he and Indi are both older now. The first 30 minutes were slow, but it picked up to be a decent film. Not that it will hold a candle to Hellboy II. That trailer was worth my ticket. Of course, as far as I am concerned no one competes with Guillermo del Toro. So I may be a bit biased there.... :)

Mephisto the Great
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Worth going to see; it was a lot of fun. Some parts are horrible (three in particular) and some are totally brilliant. The scene in the graveyard with "the living dead" was very cool and worth a study by any haunter looking for ideas.

A mixed bag, maybe, but worth a look!

drfrightner
05-24-2008, 04:11 AM
I talked to someone who said it blows... someone said something about the monkeys was stupid. I also heard the villian Kate whatever was terrible.

So what is up with the Monkees? Some do tell...

I'm still going to see it... I LOVED the first one, hated the second and really liked the last one. No matter what I like Indy as a whole so I'll go check it out.

Lary

toothtwister
05-24-2008, 09:27 AM
So what is up with the Monkees? Some do tell...

It is a scene where Shia LaBeouf is swinging on vines through the rain forest with a horde of monkeys ala Tarzan style.

The scene was corny, but it was all in good fun. Made my kids laugh.

The two hours of the movie is like a marriage in a way- you have to commit to it lol

Thad

dr0zombie
05-24-2008, 01:50 PM
The monkeys, the gophers (or whatever), and anything else effects wise done by ILM hurt the movie. Lucas needs to close his doors and just accept that his company did not make it into the digital age. The last three Star Wars and his work on this, and other, films are simply not up to modern standards for digital effects. I thought the cemetery scene was well done and classic Indi. This was to me where the movie became worth watching and was a valid Indiana Jones film.

Like any series film the faithful freak out over anything new. Its a good enough film.....

... and btw, to anyone who gets pissy over the end you really need to read more on alternative theories of religion and the origin of man. There is so much conceptually in that space you could base one hell of a haunt on that "concept family" alone.

renrok
05-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Monkeys, space aliens and commies!

Barry
05-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Just got home from it. Eh, it was ok. I didn't like the monkey scene, and why didn't the magnetic box stick to the metal truck?? Overall, the action was ok, the plot was ok, acting was sub-par. Like I said, it was just ok...

drfrightner
05-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Dumbest Indy movie they could ever dreamed up. The acting was horrid, the story line was so over the top it couldn't be believed even if you wanted to try.

They spend 10 15 years to dream up an Indy movie and this is what the make...Lucas should shoot himself for this disaster.

This movie BLOWS!

Larr

grossparts
05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
One of the worst movies I have ever saw. Both directors should be ashamed to have thier names on it. As far as I'm concerned a total waste of 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!!

Jeff

TheNightMare
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Movie almost made 300 million worldwide. Domestic and Foreign

Foreign Total as of May 25, 2008:
$146,455,434

Domestic Total as of May. 26, 2008: $151,081,000

Production Budget: $185 million

Looks like a lot of people went and seen this movie this weekend. Who says were in a recession. lol

TheNightMare
05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Forgot to add the following

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Domestic: $242,374,454 63.1%
+ Foreign: $141,766,000 36.9%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $384,140,454

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Domestic: $179,870,271 54.0%
+ Foreign: $153,237,000 46.0%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $333,107,271

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Domestic: $197,171,806 41.6%
+ Foreign: $277,000,000 58.4%

= Worldwide: $474,171,806

=======================

I know there is inflation, but looks like number 4 will be the highest grossing Indy movie yet

Jordan24
05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Saw it last night.

I've got to agree with the majority on this one.

One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

Motograter
05-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I saw it and thought it was ok. Few cool part's I thought

stafford
05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Saw it with my son yesterday, it was ok, wasn't horrible. But for Lucas and Spielberg, kinda just looks like they saw a cash cow, and went for it. It was at least entertaining.

Chris

mindtumor
05-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw it and thought it was ok. Few cool part's I thought

You thought it was ok?! You talked about how awesome it was for like 3 hours after we saw it. You said you were going to go and see it again this week. I tried to explain the difference between a good movie and this movie but you just kept talking about buying when it comes out.

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Monkeys, space aliens and commies!

This raised some interesting discussions for our part, being atheist I find the premise of aliens no more or less credible than that of the other three films.. ie Hebrew, Christian and Indian deities, so I was left wondering why the alien premise of this film should come in for so much stick?

I'm beginning to believe that people have a genetic predisposition to accept the inexplicable on 'faith', however as soon as you try and explain and rationalize the inexplicable then you are in huge trouble.... for example, Highlander, awesome film, but Highlander 2 tried to 'explain' and its dreadful... subsequent highlander evolutions don't bother with explanation and they are acceptable.

Star Wars, has the force, and we are happy to accept the force as some mystical power... until Episode 1 where they start explaining about the Medichlorins (sp)

Its not just films either, look at science, before Charles Darwin we were happy to accept that humans just were, but as soon as Darwin started explaining he encountered years of hostility that hasn't died down even today.

Magician always do a great stock in trade... we all know that its tricks and illusions, but we like the fact that we cant explain it, when the bore in the seat next to you points out that the box is bigger than it looks or there is a trapdoor... but when hearing this explanation is it the magician who fools us with a cheap trick thats the focus of our hostility or the loudmouth that pointed out how easily we are fooled.

Einstein got it right, he explained but pulled of a great trick, he boiled his explanation down to a simple expression E=MC^2, we all know and accept this.... but just about nobody understands it, Einstein did go to great length to explain it, but did so in a language that was so complex most of us just glaze over and accept the headline E=MC^2.... yeah Einstein, whatever you say, if we give you a Nobel prize will you shut the hell up!!!

graystone
05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
I would hate to know I was an Atheist. I mean why not just go kill yourself and save yourself all the pain and heartach of life. Or another suggestion I have some monkeys why not just come and breed them and see what you get after all you do think we are all monkeys. I myself look foreward to what God had made for me. Shane

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 06:41 AM
I would hate to know I was an Atheist. I mean why not just go kill yourself and save yourself all the pain and heartach of life. Or another suggestion I have some monkeys why not just come and breed them and see what you get after all you do think we are all monkeys. I myself look foreward to what God had made for me. Shane

So are you are suggesting that the other three films are better becasue you find the premise believable? or that Raiders and last Crusade glorify your beliefs?, is Temple of Doom bad because it doesn't glorify a western accepted faith?

Personally if I had to pick a reason while Temple of Doom was bad it was because of Kate Capshaws non stop screaming, put this aside and look at some of the set pieces and its a very enjoyable film, with some of the funniest moments in the entire series... however, I'm now wondering if there is another reason why its so badly rated, and maybe Crystal Skull is getting slated because it puts the Roswell 'conspiracy nuts' on the same podium as Christianity.

graystone
05-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Sad so Sad. Shane

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Sad so Sad. Shane

Do you have a point?

Speculo
05-27-2008, 07:57 AM
You may have a point there. However the movie had issues unrelated to the Alien thing.

Jumping from the Mystical to SciFi did change the tone of the series, and people don't like the tone of sequels changed.

I enjoyed some of the nostalgic elements of seeing the characters again, but overall the movie wasn't really that good as we all agree.

I think it felt like "product" something designed to sell that really didn't fit well together on its own feet.

Oh well! At least it brings the series to a new generation who will then watch the old DVDs. I would call it a bad or so-so album from a classic rock band, if you get my drift.

I cannot say I had a lot of expectations, in truth the sequels never were as good as the first anyway, aside from the fun of Sean Connery as the father.

Thanks!

hauntedhousenut
05-27-2008, 09:08 AM
I think his point is, this isn't the place to impose your politics, this is a haunt forum.

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
I think his point is, this isn't the place to impose your politics, this is a haunt forum.

I was actually being deliberately neutral and you will see Ive refrained from actually expressing any real opinion, just asking a few questions, may I point out that its myself thats getting insulted and abused here not anyone else, and for what?

Is it really so wrong to question that we may be naturally predisposed to reject something that falls outside the belief system of our upbringing?

hauntedhousenut
05-27-2008, 09:33 AM
au con·traire, you did interject.

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
au con·traire, you did interject.

again, your point is

hauntedhousenut
05-27-2008, 09:46 AM
again, your point is

Please take your politics to another forum and leave this one to haunting, and please don't give me any of BS about being deliberately neutral.

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Please take your politics to another forum and leave this one to haunting, and please don't give me any of BS about being deliberately neutral.

What politics? I was asking if we are predisposed to be more accepting of certain films becuase of their inexplicable content, and tend to reject others when they get too bogged down in explanation? I think its an interesting question, with many many precedences and it gets especially interesting when you turn it to a haunting context where we are providing a similar entertainment.... the question that follows is are haunts better when they create a complicated explaining back story or just don't bother trying......

... but since this is an off topic thread about movies just like a number of other off topic movies thread then I still don't see the problem.

xxxdirk
05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
An ok film. Was it as great as the 1st three, no. Did I leave the theater mad at spending $8 No. It was an ok movie. I think what I got from it was a reafirming. TREASURE every second of life and enjoy the ride cause you can never recapture the magic of what you are doing now. Imagine shutting down your haunt for almost 20 years and then trying to start it all up again. Times change, you change, your cast will change and the expectations of the public will change too

hauntedhousenut
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
you said the question is:
the question that follows is are haunts better when they create a complicated explaining back story or just don't bother trying......

I do think they are better when they create a back story, it adds to the mystery.

UndeadProd
05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I didn't mind the alien angle nearly as much as I did the general sloppiness and laziness that hung over the last 90 minutes of the movie.

It started with such great potential, and started several interesting plot threads (Commies! McCarthy-era paranoia! Saucer men! The FBI tracking Indy! Esp and mind control!) ... only to largely drop all of them completely to focus on a needlessly muddled series of events and seemingly endless exposition.

(future drinking game - take a drink everytime the movie screeches to a halt so that a character can explain to audience what is actually happening, or what another character is really saying)

It was neither cheesy or cartoony enough to be truly bad, nor funny or exciting enough to be truly good. I felt as if Speilberg still had some sense of play and creativity during the early scenes set in the states ... but as the story went deeper into the jungle, his interest clearly started to wane. Unlike Lucas, Speilberg is not known for returning to the same well over and over and over again -- and I think his heart wasn't really in it, personally.

lurker
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
It was just a bad film. It has nothing to do with the alien/sci-fi plot line. It is just riddled with cliché after cliché. It was okay that they let us know it was set in the 50’s with cool little references, but instead they turned it into a “I Love the 50’s” show. They just beat us over the head with 50’s nostalgia.
I thought the story concept was a good one, but the holes in the plot were monstrous. The monkey scene was dumb. The going over 3 giant waterfalls without anyone getting hurt or dead, was completely retarded and bordering on slap stick. I think by that point in the movie they had gone completely into the realm of cartoon.
It was fun seeing Indy in action again, but what a train wreck of a movie! I’m willing to forgive all involved as long as they don’t make “Mud Jones and The Temple of More Money”

graystone
05-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Here is my point! For you to think we were pulled from a monkeys ass is stupid. Again the best thing you can do as a non believer is to go out find a tree and hang yourself or put a gun to your head! There is no sense in going through the journeys of life only to end up in a box! If you wont do it for me do it for yourself there is really no need in living if your living for nothing in the end! Shane

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Here is my point! For you to think we were pulled from a monkeys ass is stupid. Again the best thing you can do as a non believer is to go out find a tree and hang yourself or put a gun to your head! There is no sense in going through the journeys of life only to end up in a box! If you wont do it for me do it for yourself there is really no need in living if your living for nothing in the end! Shane

What I really don't understand is why you feel the need to be personally offensive about this, regardless of what I feel or believe it causes you, nobody you are associated with and indeed nobody in the world any loss or harm, from where I am sitting the only thing that diminishes you as an individual is the unwarranted hostility you are expressing towards me.

drfrightner
05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
You know what people can hate a movie, and another person can love it... I'm sure even Ishtar has some fans out there. Either way I did NOT like the movie and it seems like most people are agreeing with me on this point. However for those who do love it no need to get offended by those who don't, and vice versa. We can all have an opinion and they can all be different, which doesn't make anyone wrong.

As the saying goes eye of the beholder.

I thought Indiana Jones blew... but clearly some liked it.

No need to turn it into an argument.

Larry

drfrightner
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I have a better plot line for an Indy movie...

All the other Indy movies where based pre-WW2.

So yeah he's older, so how about a movie during WW2, like in 1945 and Hitler has no other options so he seeks out the Spear of Destiny, which they say any army who brings it into battle will win.

So Hitler sends out a crack force to find it and kidnap Indy to help them, to give the Nazi's one last shot at defeating the WORLD.

That would have been better than bad accent Russians, Monkeys, Aliens and everything else we had to endure to sit through this nightmare.

Larry

mindtumor
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I have a better plot line for an Indy movie...

All the other Indy movies where based pre-WW2.

So yeah he's older, so how about a movie during WW2, like in 1945 and Hitler has no other options so he seeks out the Spear of Destiny, which they say any army who brings it into battle will win.

So Hitler sends out a crack force to find it and kidnap Indy to help them, to give the Nazi's one last shot at defeating the WORLD.

That would have been better than bad accent Russians, Monkeys, Aliens and everything else we had to endure to sit through this nightmare.

Larry

How would the ants play in if it was done this way?

Phoenix
05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't think the problem was the premise, but with the characters and execution, the only scean where the characters appeared to come alive was the argument in the truck between Indy and Marrion

Exposition has never been a problem before Last crusade had a LOT of Exposition, but it was carried by Ford, Connery and Denholm Elliot.

If you look at the other films everything up to the end was 'normal' there were no issues with supernatural powers, yeah it was hinted and expected, but the supernatural moment was just a moment at the end.

Commies were an interesting choice of bad guys and to a certain extent made a logical choice given the historical period, but they really didn't make as good bad guys as the Nazi's.... they could of kept the nazi's by exploiting theories that they formed communities in south America... it would have fitted perfectly!

The Monkeys and Ants were just pointless as was the three waterfalls scene, they wrecked the formulae, as did the unexplained Indian bad guys who just appeared to attack them.

The ending just went too far, it was too explicit it left no room for doubt or 'wonder' they could of kept the alien premise as just a suggestion, and even had a dramatic expression of power, but they didn't need to resurrect them, beam up the bad guys and fly off in their saucer, nor did they need to come up with that utterly dumb 'space between space' line good grief, even the worst of pulp sci-fi would have killed that one!

graystone
05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Pull or cut Phoenix from the tree. He was rasied by monkeys he needs help! Shane

Jordan24
05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
And what was up with Indy surviving a nuclear explosion at the begining?

The movie got really rediculous on way too many occasions, the whole plot got me lost, and that Russian chick or whatever was extreamly anoying and a terrible actor.

Bad movie.

Phoenix
05-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Pull or cut Phoenix from the tree. He was rasied by monkeys he needs help! Shane

I guess divinely given intelligence exempts you from the need to have to say anything intelligent and excuses your need to behave like an animal?

So what is it you really don't like here, the points I tried to make or the messenger, would my thoughts and opinions have made any difference to you if I was Female, Gay, Black, Muslim or Pagan?

When you get the t-shirts printed make sure you spell my name right its O before E

scarymoves
05-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Just saw the movie.
It was fine I love the special effects.
I give it a 4 out of 5.

SpFXChic
05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Our family went to see Indy this past weekend. I was really excited to see it, as I had fond memories of going with my mom and brother when I was younger to see the original films.

I thought the movie was ok. Yeah, there were mixed storylines and if I was making it, I probably wouldn't have made it the same way. But, it was worth my $8 to see my kid grinning from ear to ear just the way I did when I was younger.

Didn't hate it, didn't love it...had a good time watching it with the family.

mrs_boo
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
And what was up with Indy surviving a nuclear explosion at the begining?

The movie got really rediculous on way too many occasions, the whole plot got me lost, and that Russian chick or whatever was extreamly anoying and a terrible actor.

Bad movie.

Couldn't have summed it up better than that.