PDA

View Full Version : has anyone heard of this?

agent man
10-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I've just heard about a new haunted attraction back east called Buried Alive

The guests are taken into a large room and sealed in. Then plastic play pen balls are dropped down from the ceiling filling the room to about 6 1/2 feet, well over most people's head. After everyone has been buried alive in plastic balls, the balls are removed by giant vacuums and recycled back to the top to await the next group of patrons.

Now that's innovative!

steve
10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
dungeon of doom in grayslake IL has done that for the past 4? years...

Its a cool idea, but many people dont like being pegged it the head with the balls...

Darkblood
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM
agent man,
Last year my wife and I went to visit her brother and his wife in Antioch, IL...near Chicago...
We went through the Dungeon of Doom and the finale was exactly that...
We were there on opening night and there were only a few of us so they made us lie down (normally you just stand)...
What an experience...we didn't know what to expect beforehand, just that we'd be buried alive.
I'd love to find out the schematics or where to purchase that effect and someday use it in my haunt (if it ever gets of the ground...NEXT YEAR!!!)

<link>www.dungeonofdoom.com</link>

Hope this helped!

Kirk :twisted:

Nicole
10-29-2006, 05:55 PM
It's a super cool effect but... it was a bit gross and something happened all 3 times to me that made me think. As I said I've been through it 3 times (DoD is only 30 min. from where I live).

Twice we went on a rainy night and once on a dry night (note: all times, dressed apprpriately/warm for the weather)... people do have wet shoes and of course got some moisture and mud on the plastic balls... then you have people sneezing, breathing, etc on them when they are "buried." Then you have these things all over you and on your face. Probably not the most hygenic thing - but each time I got a bad cold a few days later. I'm not sure if they are washed every night or not, but all 3 times I got colds afterwards (within 2-3 days) - makes me think if it had anything to do with that.

bhays
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
How do they reset the effect? What sort of giant vacuum would handle balls? I was thinking you could just tilt the floor and let them all run out one side into a box that could then be lifted back up to dump them again.

ZachWeaver
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
In the most recent edition of Rue Morgue magazine they did a review on the Erebus haunted house. Apparently they also have this "buried alive" room. I thought this was a really neat and unique idea, but I guess I was wrong. There seems to have been multiple haunts using this idea for years.

agent man
10-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys (and gal)

Nicole: yeah, I didn't think about that whole hygenics thing. I guess they would have to do the same kind of maintainence and cleaning that the operators of children's playpens use - a mild detergent wash, I would think.

But the folks from DoD would be able to coment on that better than I would.

I was blown away when I heard about this. I would definately give it a try if I were out in IL.

Dr. Spooky Pants
10-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Hmmm...

I could be wrong about this, but I believe the Buried Alive effect was first created by the Asylum Experience in Berwyn, IL.

bhays
10-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Hmmm...

I could be wrong about this, but I believe the Buried Alive effect was first created by the Asylum Experience in Berwyn, IL.

I know I read a review of Erebus about five years ago that mentioned the Buried Alive scene and said it was a reprisal of the Asylum Experience's scene. Adam from hauntedillinois.com could verify that.

Haunter3
10-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Bhays, you are right. The Asylum Experience first did it way back in I wanna say 1999? im not sure on the year but I remember it clearly, we were standing, I was only in 6th grade so I dont remeber how high the balls were but they covered me, ha. I havent been to the DoD but from what I understand it causes a long backup with patrons, the Asylum limited the number of people a night and was more of an interactive experience, best haunted house ever!

Mr. Malice
10-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I remember seeing it at the Asylum back in the day. I think the balls went to waist high but then I could be wrong.

bhays
10-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Does anyone remember how they reset the scene?

Jim Warfield
10-31-2006, 01:55 AM
I was told about an outdoor slide company that used a corral of foam balls to absorb the shock/impact when the sliders landed.
A 4 yr. old was crushed underfoot by bigger people and died.
This whole set up was out doors in a park. They began finding used hypodermic needles in the foam balls and broken glass (and dirt) thanks to the local drug addicts, who obviously could haved cared less about injuring anyone else.
It only takes one or two of those "Rotten Apples" to ruin the whole bunch.

Scaremaster
10-31-2006, 07:45 AM
We had the pleasure of visiting a few haunts in Michigan last week namely Erebus. I had heard about the "buried alive" room, so I was excited to experience it.

First, I think that it's a GREAT concept! We went into the room and the room filled up with plastic balls. The room filled up over our heads. Pretty cool. After being buried I looked down and saw the door open and all of the balls fell into a pit. After that part, I am lost. I would think that it's a pulley type system like you see at the batting cages to return the balls in the basket. But, that would require a fast pulley. Or it could be a vacuum, but I don't see how they would have that much suction to pull that many balls back up top.

Anyone know the exact specs on this?

bhays
10-31-2006, 07:54 AM
So, what were you standing on that you didn't go into the pit with the balls?

Scaremaster
10-31-2006, 08:37 AM
I know that it's a BAD drawing, but here is the general concept (I believe)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261/hauntvideos/buriedalive.jpg

Scaremaster
10-31-2006, 08:40 AM
The floor did not move. Just the doors opened to let the balls out. There were still a few balls in the room when we were exiting, and there was an actor with a leaf blower pushing the remaining balls down to the pit.

bhays
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
So the floor was not slanted, the balls just went out the side door due to the volume of them?

Scaremaster
11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Correct. What I would like to know is how they get the balls back up in the hopper.

OgeXam
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
What kept a person from getting swept into the hole?

The balls rolling into the hole will cause some force on the people near the hole. the likely hood of an adult being sucked in are slim, but a really small adult or a child could be pulled into said hole.

Just curious on what saftey feature they used to prevent someone from getting rolled in with the balls.

Scaremaster
11-01-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't think that they run every group into this room. I think that they only pick adults. About being pulled into the hole.. There's not enough force with the balls. (They are plastic and light) So, I don't think that there is a problem with that. When you are put into the room, you are told by someone to stand against the opposite wall.

I can't see where anyone could really get hurt in here. At least not anymore than the rest of the house. ;)

Nicole
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
From what I remember it seemed like a space opened along the sides of the trailer we were in (from the looks of it, it seemed like we were in a semi trailer)...fravity took over from there - the balls naturally ran out the bottom/sides... you hear a RUSH of balls running out the sides... and they asked us to help them along as well... not sure how they were reset but it amazes me that they didn't get huge gridlocks between these large groups. All 3 times we walked right into the trailer with everyone and didn't have to wait.

Nicole
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
From what I remember it seemed like a space opened along the sides of the trailer we were in (from the looks of it, it seemed like we were in a semi trailer)...fravity took over from there - the balls naturally ran out the bottom/sides... you hear a RUSH of balls running out the sides... and they asked us to help them along as well... not sure how they were reset but it amazes me that they didn't get huge gridlocks between these large groups. All 3 times we walked right into the trailer with everyone and didn't have to wait.

Nicole
11-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Nicole
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM

Jim Warfield
11-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Balls into a Pit? Where have I heard this before?
Balls? What do you know about this?
We ain't talking , Boss.

bhays
11-02-2006, 05:24 AM
Plan on spending about $7500 bucks on balls, I contacted mrball.com

Dear Mr. Hays,
Ball pits hold a max of 65 balls per cubic foot. Your 12x8x6 = 576 cubic feet or 37,440 balls.
The balls come in boxes of 500. You would need 75 boxes. I am out of used balls. New ones cost approimately $90 per box.plus shipping..
Sincerely,
Mark Riley

Scaremaster
11-02-2006, 06:01 AM
I have a business contact over in China. I'll see what he can get them for. :)

Jim Warfield
11-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Wishing to be "different", and wanting to make something with a longer life span, maybe I'll build one using bowling balls?
Wouldn't this be a big surprise for people?
Someone once told me that this device used at The Asylum did really cut down on throughput, but then everyone has their own ideas about balancing "show" with customer numbers.......

Dr. Spooky Pants
11-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Hmmm,

But Jim, Why would anyone want to be different? The trick is to let a select few people build new and original things, so the rest of us can copy them and call it our own.

I learn more about this industry daily, it seems.

So how does the floor work? Can you get cheap balls from overseas? How do you suck the balls back up? Can we all build these?

Dave who?

Scaremaster
11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Is there anything wrong with incorporating an idea that is used at another haunt?

I thought that we were here to help each other out. I guess if we were trying to SELL this idea to someone it would be different.

Brett, PM me and we can talk about it.

Jim Warfield
11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
"Dave Link" ? He brought his parents through my house one summer day just before he closed.
His Mother is quite a woman, she was So Impressed with my cat, Mister Tuxedo! (All the other work that I have done here didn't impress her at all, I guess?)
She was amazed how I could have "trained" Mister Tuxedo to nod affirmative in reply to a question I threw at him.
Actually Mr. Tuxedo had trained me.
"MMMMRR!"