PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering......

Ken Spriggs
06-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Barry.........how many vendors do you have that have signed up for MHC this weekend?

I just remember a thread that says we need a buyers show.
If I am judging this right.......you have maybe more vendors than the actual haunt section at TW?

SOOOOO in theory....if TW splits the haunt show from the party side......
MHC would be a bigger show?
MHC would have more seminars?
MHC would be a place that haunters can be .... well haunters

gadget-evilusions
06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I count 84 on the vendor list, minus celebrities, and chairities, that leaves 81 vendors.

BruiseMuse
06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
How many haunt vendors were at TW in Vegas?

xxxdirk
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree, MWH is going to be THE haunt convention to go to. Transworld had a good thing but has decided they are not really interested in the haunt industry. Barry and his crew have put together a hell of a convention and are poised to take that next step. MHC has everything a haunt convention should have great seminars, a zillion vendors, haunt tours and a chance to socialize. As Larry has said, "we do not need another convention", so lets put our love & support to Columbus and Hauntcon!

Jim Warfield
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
That "Next Step" is always the tricky one, the one bio-documentaries never quite show us or explain.
How did a guy go from having one successful restaurant to having three to having 600?
But when will your convention begin selling fried chicken, Barry?
Top secret recipe he took to the grave with him, but we dug him up!

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Ken,

Just FYI... Transworlds show last year was about 600,000 square feet. Additionally, there where about 150 booths inside the Haunt only section, and at least another 150 other haunt related vendors outside the haunt section. All told I'd say there was about 250 or so booths related to haunts at Transworld Vegas.

However, let me say if a Haunt only show was to happen I would peg the number of vendors that would attend to about 500 booths. There are a great many vendors who do not exhibit at shows for our industry because...

THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT THE VALUE OF OUR INDUSTRY!

That could all change! Someone in this industry has datatbases that are equaled by no one including Transworld, and someone could help make sure this industry had a show that included every section of the amusement industry that could or should relate to the haunt buyer, then the industry would grow faster.

Remember the goal here isn't to always dip your hands in latex, or build wall panels for the rest of your life. The goal is to actually grow as an industry, grow the age groups who will attend our industries attractions, to expand our reach our markets, so how do you do that?

Do we do that ALL working against each other and acting like idiots who love to fight with each other or do we work together for a common goal? It takes ALL haunts working together on the same page to accomplish great things. I see that day finally coming!

In order to dream big, you have to see the bigger picture!

Larry

xxxdirk
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
"That could all change! Someone in this industry has datatbases that are equaled by no one including Transworld, and someone could help make sure this industry had a show that included every section of the amusement industry that could or should relate to the haunt buyer, then the industry would grow faster."

ie: substitute the "someones" in the above quote and plug in "I, Larry K". Comeone Larry, enough with the foreplay. Give it up!!, you know you wanna.... Gosh, reminds me of prom night!! lol

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Dirk,

Funny line about Prom Night!!! LOL

Larry

Slain
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
For us before any IAHA or groups of people or associations telling haunters how they need to do things there was just a bunch of haunters scary people making a bit of money (maybe even giving some away) but not to long ago it was just us.
What of Scarefactory's TV haunt show or Transworld's Halloween show or Barry's Midwest Haunt Convention.. How can that change the industry?
Will my attendance increase (NO) will the general public or average Joe even be aware of any convention or show (NO). So what is in it for the average haunter?

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Paul,

When people come together in one place, you must have the best opportunities for those people to learn, communicate, educate, and be exposed to services, opportunities or products they never knew they needed, wanted or existed. I'm sorry to say but most haunters still do not get the professional respect they have earned or deserve like other professional industries.

Do you get six figures in sponsorship, does our industry get its fair due on national exposure, do we know enough to launch group sales efforts, are their ways on line to make more money for your attraction or grow your brand?

Yes to everything.

In order to pull all of that off in one place takes the best of the best, the whole industry, everyone on the same page, and 110% focus on you, your business, your industry, and your FUTURE!

There is a better future if you just reach out and grab it!

Larry

Darkangel
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Larry,

For the most part all haunt related companies already show at the conventions. Going out and getting a bunch of fringe companies or entertainment based companies who do no Halloween but "could for the right price" isn't what we need, IAAPA can do that. There are only so many true haunt companies. I know the foam carving people can make characters for us but charging 10 grand a piece will not help this industry they are used to high dollar accounts where most haunters will not shell out that kind of cash for a foam piece...For 500 booths, there will be 300 booths of non Halloween based companies who whipped up a few related pieces to show at the show but have no vested interest in this industry...

Darkangel

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Hard to explain but I do not agree with you I can assure you, and it is only because you don't understand what I mean. It is probably my fault because I would need to be MORE clear. But what you do want is to go to one place not six places to see EVERYTHING a haunter might want or need.

Tell me why is it that no haunt show has EVEN ONE concession vendor, food supplier, or foliage supplier, or people who offer services to help you complete on a level you'd see within an amusement park. We are NO different than an amusement park, we're just smaller, but that doesn't mean those types of vendors do not want to sell to us.

We need them to know we are here...

Larry

Slain
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Paul,

When people come together in one place, you must have the best opportunities for those people to learn, communicate, educate, and be exposed to services, opportunities or products they never knew they needed, wanted or existed. I'm sorry to say but most haunters still do not get the professional respect they have earned or deserve like other professional industries.

Do you get six figures in sponsorship, does our industry get its fair due on national exposure, do we know enough to launch group sales efforts, are their ways on line to make more money for your attraction or grow your brand?

Yes to everything.

In order to pull all of that off in one place takes the best of the best, the whole industry, everyone on the same page, and 110% focus on you, your business, your industry, and your FUTURE!

There is a better future if you just reach out and grab it!

Larry

Larry. In the past few years we have had Budweiser, Southern Link, Pepsi and so many others wanting to sponsor our event. I've been down that road before and I must say I would rather not put on an event if I had to answer to a sponsor.
Like I said it would be nice to put someones name on our place for six figures but for us that takes away from the ownership that we worked hard for. We have some so called competition up the road a bit that has just those corporate settings that does a whole lot less volume in patrons that we do and frankly the event itself I'm told really sucks.
So without those big dollars we still have survived where the others have not.
I would imagine if we sold out to a corporate sponsor we'd be like all the rest. I don't see that driving any more dollars to the bank...All I see is headaches that I would rather not have...LIke I've said in the past our group already has great jobs and we do this for the love of the industry not to line our pockets. That's what seperates us from most of the other big buisness haunts.....

mindtumor
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Everyone keeps saying that MHC should be the tradeshow of our industry so does that mean MHC would be willing to move to a FEB/MAR time frame or stay in Jun/Jul? It is hard enough getting stuff on time now imagine if ALL of us were placing our orders in Jun/Jul. Personally I don't care what show it is, where it is, who is running it, or what extracuricular activities are there as long as all the vendors we are used to buying from are there (plus some new ones) and the show is in a Feb/Mar timeframe to allow us the best chance to buy our products and receive them in a timely fashion.

drfrightner
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Jared,

Being "THE" buyer seller show takes a lot of investment to find buyers, it also takes a full time sales staff, and much more. Right now MHC is doing great doing what they do...why should they change anything.

You have a buyer seller show in March and then MHC in June. Sounds about the same time I print magazines...

I guess that would leave Hauntcon out in the cold, but that show is probably going down anyway. Larry

Haunted Illinois
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
According to the official TW Vegas vendor list, including the addendum, there were only 71 vendors in the Haunt Show section and the Dark Zone combined. This means, pure and simple, that MHC with its 80+ vendors will be bigger than the Haunt section of TW Vegas!!!

Regardless of whether of not TW Vegas was "600,000 square feet", most of that was cheap costumes, Chinese trinkets and other crap Haunters could care less about. The Haunt Show section of TW was 71 vendors period.

Congrats Barry. Your show has grown by leaps and bounds since I attended last. It will be a pleasure to attend this year to see the largest Haunter Show there is!

xxxdirk
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
It will be a pleasure to attend this year to see the largest Haunter Show there is!

Wow! I had no idea that Barry has more vendors signed up than TW had!! All I can say is WOW, congrats Barry, and gang, that is a great milestone!

Ken Spriggs
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you Adam.

I have been traveling and didnt get a chance to answer.

graystone
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Piss on sponsors! Who needs them I mean I guess its ok if your giving all your money away to charaties but other than that Uncle Sam wants his part. Piss on Transworld splitting all I can say is go ahead and Larry you will be sitting there on your computer all alone! Wait you already said you would only be attending as a buyer and not a vendor. Also you can say all you want Larry but the haunt industry can go only so far I know you dont want to hear it but you cant take Halloween and Haunted Houses and streatch them out over a whole year! Unless your in an area that has tons of tourist year round. Its like taking Christmas and making every day, every month Christmas or me keeping my digital photography company in malls open everyday rather than just at the holidays. Hell can you imagine going into the mall this time of year and having your picture taken with Santa? It would never work! Its not ever gonna happen. Vendors have to work year round to get out products. Haunt owners have to work to open for what 4 5 maybe 6 weeks then its over. Its like Christmas morning after all the gifts are open its over till next year! Larry face it this industry has limits! Also I hope all the vendors at MHC tell the people at Transworld they are stupid for even thinking of splitting the show. Right now atleast the vendors can see other traffic flow from the halloween section. If they only wanna deal with Haunters we already have HauntCon and MHC! Larry stop before you close the lid on the coffin of the hard working vendors and allow TransWorld to remain as it is a Halloween/Haunt show!!!!!! I am begging you stop this crazy crap before TransWorld takes you serious or before I get my phone book out and look for hit men in St Louis!!! Shane

drfrightner
06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Adam,

Ahhh well you'd be wrong sorry t say.

For starters SEVERAL haunt suppliers did not display in the haunt section at Transworld because they wanted to be in the retail area. Many vendors and many of the same that you are naming displayed at TW ad in fact many more who simply did not display in the haunt section.

I could break out a LONG LIST FOR YOU, and it would include Ghoulish Gallery, Body Bagging, Midnight Syndicate, Morris Costumes, and ever Screamline Studios just to name a few. So you would be dead wrong.

Secondly, there is a difference between someone taking 2 booths at one show and at Transworld taking 6, 10, or even 16 booths. Totally different ballgame.

There where more vendors to buy from at Transworld than all of these other shows COMBINED! In fact if you want to throw IAAPA into the mix you'd have 10 times the amount of vendors you could buy things from for a haunt owner than Transworld and all these others combined.

MHC is NOT the first or second biggest show that I have been to, that is not to take anything away from them, but this is not a contest, but when you make it into you, you must stand corrected.

Larry

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Furthermore what is a 'HAUNT' vendor? I think almost everyone has it all backwards because you don't think business first...blood, guys, and body parts don't make a successful haunted house.

There are MORE vendors that I personally WOULD CALL A haunt vendors at IAAPA than 50 MHC's and HAUNTCONS put together...hell throw in Transworld as well.

I would call someone selling foilage or insurance, or concession equipment, or mold making supplies, or ticket management systems, or turnstyle compaies, or barricade people, or the zillion theming companies, or fog companies, lighting companies, special effect companies, people who sold flame machines, to yes Oak Island, Scarefactory, Halloween Productions, Creative Visions and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

Adam by my definition you are so wrong you couldn't be more wrong... by my definition IAAPA was the #1 Haunt Show by so far a long shot it coudn't be compared to... now if you can combine those vendors with a haunt show you'd have the best show EVER!

To create a truely ELITE show you need to cover all the bases not just body parts, blood, and monsters. There is more to running a successful business than the typical stuff.

Maybe that is why haunts like Netherworld, Headless Horseman are so over the top, making tons of money, building all the cool stuff. Maybe because they treat the attraction like a business first, but still has much if not more passion than ANYONE!

Running a haunt, a barber shop, a meat packing plant, or a check cashing outlet all must be run like a business first and foremost and what this industry needs is a no frills tradeshow that offers everything I've mentioned and more.

Although MHC is a great event, and as much as TW has been great in the past, it is time for the business side of all this to move forward and grow this industry. MHC can help, as can all the other shows, but you need a bigger picture to accomplish what I'm dreaming about.

Larry

graystone
06-12-2008, 07:04 AM
So Larry will be be adding Walmart? Kmart? CVS Pharmacy? How about Campbells Soup company? The ExLax Company? Hell I mean after all they all do sell to Haunters! Why are the people/companies you mentioned not already setting up? What has kept all thoes companies from being at TransWorld? Whats stopping them now? Is it because they are waiting on the Larry/Haunt Vendor Assoc. approval? Again go ahead have it your way many of us buyers and vendors too will come back and tell you how wrong you were. Also could some of the companies Larry mentioned put your thoughts into a Haunt only Show? Also AGAIN LARRY ARE YOU JUST TO LAZY TO WALK TO THE HALLOWEEN SECTION IF YOU SEE SOMETHING THERE YOU LIKE? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE IN THE HAUNT SECTION? BULL BULL BULL THATS WHAT IT IS! Again Larry this Haunt Industry is a limited seasional Industry! Do a test for us all Larry open the Darkness and keep it open all year and come back and tell us how you did! Shane

Barry
06-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh, there are so many things I would like to comment on in this thread. LOL However, I am a little busy this weekend ;)

Yes, Transworld once again is going to come to MHC. They came here 3 years ago as well. I am sure there will be some news that comes out of the weekend but it may or may not be what everyone is discussing. :)

Thanks for all of the kind words from everyone in this thread and the other. We look forward to seeing many of you here.

Ken Spriggs
06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
You know what?

This thread asked a question.......how many vendors were in the haunt section.
Now as far as i am concerned....Adam answered correctly and he gets the cookie.

Larry I didn't have time to read your last post.....but I saw something about greenery people showing at a HAUNTERS show?
Retail or wholesale?
Back to the same old issue as we have at TW

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Ken,

Yes Transworld had a haunt only section, they gave vendors the option of being inside that section or displaying outside of the haunt section. SEVERAL haunted vendors decided to display just outside the haunt section like FRIGHT PROPS, GHOULISH GALLERY, SCREAMLINE, BODY BAGGING, HAUNTED MEMORIES, and so many, many, many, many more.

So we're going to create drama within our industry, and try to make it a competition to see how had the most vendors MHC or Transworld. That is exactly what Adam did, and I'm saying he's wrong. Transworld by far had more vendors, and those same vendors took 4 time as many booths at TW than they did at any show they went to this year. Correct?

So how can you really compare, and it is NOT a competition either. MHC is doing a great job no one is dening that.

But I've made a point out of helping people, and I can't lie to them and say go to MHC and NOT Transworld, I would say go to both, go to all of them if you can.

But certain people on here are trying to make it an either or and it shouldn't be, but if it was you have to go where the buyers where most of the buyers and vendors go, period! But NO ONE should be foreced into the haunters section at Transworld just like no one should be forced to display at ONLY TW or ONLY MHC or ONLY HAUNTCON.

So for those haters out there... stop making it into a competition because you are not helping the industry at all. Highlights the positives of both and let people decide for themselves.

I say and have always said this motto...

BUT ALL videos, books, magazines, go to all shows you can, visit as many haunts as you can make yourself do these things. I STILL FEEL THE SAME!

Larry

drfrightner
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Ken,

I said we need people who sell foilage at the show... vines, trees, weeds, stuff for swamps all that. How do you figure that is retail?

I'm talking about attracting the MANUFACTOR who sells direct to attractions and gives you 40 to 50% off by opening an account. Do you not place vines on scenes in your haunt?

I do and I buy TONS OF THEM... and I find all of those companies at IAAPA, not Transworld, not MHC, and not anywhere else just IAAPA.

Those companies along with many, many, many more should be coming to a HAUNT ONLY SHOW!

Larry

MMManiac
06-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Shane you keep mentioning that we are only a seasonal attraction, which is correct we are BUT.... That doesn't mean we STILL don't need all the different companies that Larry is talking about. Just because I'm only open 1.5 months out of the year doesn't mean I should automatically be excluded from the same vendors and discounts as say, Disney gets (just an example, i know thats a stretch) but why not.

Scary Jerry
06-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Jerry here;

I wonder how some of these shows pick their dates...
MHC in June is silly. What manufacturers have time to do production runs between late June and September? It can take that long to get delivery on parts and supplies.

IIAP is in November. I don't know about the rest of you but come Nov I'm exhausted and take a vacation. There is no way I could prepare for a trade show during October.

Ignoring other issues going on, wouldn't it make sense to move MHC to March and make it THE show? Maybe they should change the name also.

All I really want to do is scare little kids. How come it got so complicated?

Jim Warfield
06-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Scary Jerry, Will you be the new person incharge of the Federal funding for the school lunch program?
"Boo! You're gunna be REAL hungry Now Kids!"
"Whaaa!" My tummie hurts too much!"
Go to the basics when it comes to scaring. This is why it's too easy to scare people from third-world countrys, they know true , basic fears!

Barry
06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Jerry here;

I wonder how some of these shows pick their dates...
MHC in June is silly. What manufacturers have time to do production runs between late June and September? It can take that long to get delivery on parts and supplies.

Jerry,
MHC was planned in the summer for two specific reasons. #1 It did not conflict (or be too close to) any other events. #2 In the summer, haunts have started to plan for the season and come here with specific needs. We do a large amount of cash and carry here. For 90% of the vendors this works out very well.

Ken Spriggs
06-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Larry,

If a foilage company comes to a tradeshow......will they sell wholesale or retail?
Since haunts are an end user....a consumer...they should pay retail pricing

Now why would a manufacturer bring their product to a show where they would have to sell wholesale to us? Do you resell the plants? NO you don't deserve to get wholesale prices.......Does that make things clearer? or is this going to get deleted too?

drfrightner
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Ken,

Whenever you go to IAAPA and say talk to Autograph Foilage you simply tell them you are a end user and you get like 30 or 40% off. If you look at their price sheets it will tell you the discounts... I don't have to do anything special to get any discounts with this company you just tell them.

Autograph Foilage is the best company I've ever seen for vines, fake grass you name it... they have everything and what haunter doesn't want that stuff?

I have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from this company and they give me all kinds of discounts everytime I order... sometimes they are trying to get rid of stuff and will give you even deeper discounts.

The only people who sell at retail prices are people who re-sell not the actual supplier. When I go to IAAPA I have never had anyone tell me 'you have to pay retail'. Never.

No one would be coming to a haunt only show saying you have pay retail again unless they are a re-seller of the product. We're talking about bringing the supplier to the show not re-sellers.

Ken if you want to buy from the acutal supplier of vines and fake foilage you need to go to IAAPA, or we ned to bring IAAPA vendors to YOU! See my point?

Larry

drfrightner
06-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Ken,

After reading your post again, it almost seems like you want everyone to pay retail, but they sell WHOLESALE to anyone you just ask them. Why would ANYONE want to pay retail prices... LOL

If you want to buy from them, you can get up to 40% off they will give you the discounts. I think I have got 50% off many times on closeout items.

Do you want their information? Here ya go...

http://www.autographfoliages.com/

Request a catalog, tell them you saw them you are a supplier, builder or whatever. They don't argue they just give you the discount, they will give the discount to just about anyone.

Larry

Ken Spriggs
06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't need a foilage company Larry.
I am trying to make a point.
You know i needed a bad thing in my life to make me slow down and think.

Now......I buy foilage from local people in my town.
It is a huge green house.....I walk in 2 times a year and buy out all their crap.
We have over $15000 in plants vines and greens for 25% of the normal cost when we built our swamp.

No Larry I don't want to pay retail.
I don't pay retail. We have a store and sell stuff in our store.

The whole issue about retail and wholesale is because of the TW show.
Now absorb this and think for a minute before you type again.

Lets use Rubies for our example shall we?
Rubies manufactures costumes and such for sale to stores......on a wholesale basis. Now should John haunted house be able to get the wholesale price?
NO
Should Walmart who buys a bunch then resells it?
YES

same goes with the foilage we keep talking about.
The wholesale price is set up for people to RESELL the product.
You are jumping the system and this is what caused all the BS at TW

AM I WRONG?

If you want to make ANOTHER show...........then do it.
I don't care.....but it will screw up the other shows that have a good thing going.
I personally talked to Jennifer at MHC and scratched my head and still can't figure out what their plan is for 2009.

mindtumor
06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
But if a company doesn't care and wants to sell you at wholesale price even though they know you aren't going to resell it then what is the problem?

Nightgore
06-17-2008, 07:30 PM
But even at wholesale, the supplier stills makes money... So... why would they care even a little what happens to product after the sale? -Tyler

drfrightner
06-17-2008, 11:03 PM
The bottom line is it is not solely about just a foliage company it's about a bigger picture, it is about everything we don't see at a tradeshow now not specifically one company.

Most haunts sell food or have a concession stands, but at our haunt shows we see not vendors for this end of our business. Why? Well no one has tried to do it because Transworld who wants to represent us haven't put money into our industry.

I can understand that as well...they run a retail show, and they do put money into that show, because that is the industry that pays their bills. We just kind of came along at some point and just well showed up.

It is time for us to step out on our own and make our industry what we want it to be!

Larry

MMManiac
06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Wholesalers dont just Aim for "resellers." For the most part, yes probley BUT... Really they are selling to other companies too. Dont matter if they are selling that product or using it for a display. We might not be selling trees, but we are using them as displays for was we are selling, entertainment. For the most part from what I see wholesellers dont care if they sell to haunts, you just have to meet the min amount just like walmart and the big stores. What they dont want to sell is to the consumer who only wants one peice.

Ken Spriggs
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Gee I asked a simple question.....

How many vendors tw vs mhc

Since i was at both shows.....I can answer myself now

MHC had more vendors

Larry.....# of booths mean nothing
A vendor who usually buys 10 booths at TW
will only by 2 at MHC......

Still only 1 vendor but the booth count dropped

So when you post please talk apples to apples

Folks.......the people have been complaining about the haunted house section at TW for 5 years now....

drfrightner
06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey Ken,

Why don't you ask the vendors which show made them more money. Enough said! This is a business, and vendors need to make money, that is how they pay their bills, as you pay your bills from your job or your haunt or whatever.

MHC did not have more vendors than TW but if you think they did great, but who cares. What matters is writing orders. Why don't you go call all those vendors, do a poll and get back to me and tell me what you find out.

Larry

Ken Spriggs
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
The Tw haunt section had less vendors than the MHC convention.

Would you like to argue some more?
After you have asked me to stop?
I don't think....I know

enough already

GraveStalker
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Ken,

Why don't you ask the vendors which show made them more money. Enough said! This is a business, and vendors need to make money, that is how they pay their bills, as you pay your bills from your job or your haunt or whatever.

MHC did not have more vendors than TW but if you think they did great, but who cares. What matters is writing orders. Why don't you go call all those vendors, do a poll and get back to me and tell me what you find out.

Larry

I'm sure vendors did better at TW- BUT, Do you think if MHC was prior to Transworld it might change things a little?

Barry
06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
A few points:

In my opinion, MHC had more pure haunt related vendors than Transworld. I counted them. Not more vendors but those selling traditional haunt merchandise.

As I mentioned in the other thread, many vendors have told me that MHC is the most profitable show for them. Writing orders does not always equate to profit.

Now, a serious question for Larry. Using your foliage vendor example, do you think they would write enough business to make them return the following year? There are a number of other types of vendors I could go after for MHC (I certainly have the space) but my concern is whether they would do enough business to make it worthwhile. The goal is not to get a bunch of vendors for one year, it is to grow a show as we have done with MHC.

Speculo
06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
WHEN a show is in the year makes a difference to me. We now make MOST of our major haunt equipment style purchases in November/December. We make the rest at the Transworld show. We are always LOOKING of course, and may pick up some smaller items at Hauntcon and MHC, but it is just too late for big stuff. Of course we might buy from a vendor we saw at Hauntcon or MHC the FOLLOWING year.

We have found it is just too risky and down to the wire to buy big complex items in the summer and to hope that they will come before we open. All of you who have had a big empty hole in your show in late August early September know what I mean.

I like these regional shows because they sometimes turn up smaller vendors we might not have otherwise seen, guys with some cool item or concept that is the icing on the cake. Cash and carry is good! Not so good when you fly however.

We will go where the vendors go - early is better! It would also be nice to see new smaller vendors early as well, but I guess that factors into booth availability.

MHC was a blast - we had 13 people there, and we acted, toured places, had fun at the party etc. It was a good time! No downside really, just we were pretty much done buying, thats all.

Thanks!

Ben
NETHERWORLD

GraveStalker
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
This is what I was alluding to. The earlier show is going to get the most orders regardless. I'm worried about getting stuff I ordered from TW in time -never mind ordering something in June. I'm sure most knowledgeable buyers are the same way

Also, I am willing to bet vendors got orders at MHC they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I know I took advantage of some cash and carry. I'm not saying I wouldn't have spent the money, but it probably wouldn't have been with that particular vendor

Barry
06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Gravestalker,

I agree with you completely! MHC has carved out a niche that we saw. There is a market for people who have definite plans/needs once they start planning for the upcoming season hence the large cash and carry business that is transacted here.

If nothing else the upcoming few years will be very interesting for our industry. Either way, plan on coming back to Columbus next June 5-7. :)

Frighteners Entertainment
06-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Awesome, a week earlier too.

drfrightner
06-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Barry,

Let me answer your question in two ways...

RESPONSE FROM THE BUYER SIDE OF MY BUSINESS:

I would never wait until June to buy. I would never got to MHC to buy in June or from any other show. We start planning our haunted house in October when we are looking at it on a daily basis. You really see what you like and don't like when you look it every single night.

Additionally, we unlike most do not wait around from even the Transworld show to build our haunt. We start building it and work on the attraction during open spots from building attractions for our clients. We could be working on our haunt in Decemeber just depends how busy we are.

Additonally I don't want to go to a show to see a vendors two booth exhibit I want to see their 10 booth exhibit. At these smaller shows the vendors bring smaller items, and that is of no interest to me. If your show was the main show, and Scarefactory as an example was coming with 20 booths I would come.

If Scarefactory said they're going to your show with 2 booths I would not come.

Secondly by the time June rolls around even new vendors who you might buy a little something from has already posted on forums like these and I already heard or seen their product on their website.

I wouldn't want to go to a show just to see their one booth with their one cool product...that is why they have a website.

I will give you an example... Skull Tronix. They posted their new talk bust after TW, I saw that I loved it, I had to have it...I called them and bought it. I do not need to travel to a tradeshow to buy it.

I will go to a tradeshow if I can see EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE...

I'm offering my views on what it will take to get me to a how with my check book. If that show was yours, if your show became the haunt only show, and all of these vendors came to your show with all of their booths I would come and so would everyone else.

If that is your goal that is what you would have to accoplish to make it happen.

I think most buyers would agree.

Right now it doesn't seem we have a show so maybe your show will be THE SHOW... and if that happened I would be there with bells on.

RESPONSE AS A VENDOR...

I would not attend a smaller show because time is money. Even if I went to a smaller show and made a profit it took me away from my shop where I make product, or fill orders, or even talk business. Making a small profit isn't always worth what you lose from being away from filling existing orders.

People sometimes learn this the hard way I know I have.

I'm sure if I would have come to your show I'm sure I could have sold some videos, some magazines, and maybe some banners but the time away from the shop would more than make it a loss for us.

You must get a large percentage of industry buyers to support large booth or bring out major vendors.

NOW...

To do that you must spend a massive amount of money on marketing. I did some figures and a haunt only show to bring in real buyers from everywhere would cost around $40,000 to $60,000.00 dollars.

Also you would have to move the show into March or even sooner.

As it stands now almost ALL MAJOR VENDORS want a show in January.

Let me make a Hanfodamous prediction here...

There will eventually be a haunt only show and the show will happen in January or February NOT March.

I will make one more... Transworld will move their main show in 2010 and it will not be in March but in February. This industry both retail and haunt needs more production time not less.

June is too late. May is too late. April still too late. March now well basically still too late.

Larry

drfrightner
06-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Barry,

To answer your other question...

I feel a foilage company at a major haunt show would write 50k in orders and ultimatly for the year through the leads they gained would sell more than $250,000.00 in product if not a half a million.

I know our company alone wrote $30,000 in orders with Autograph Foilage ourself in one years time.

It doesn't take too many attractions at 3k here or 5k there or 8k there to add up quick.

Larry

Barry
06-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Larry,
Thank you for the responses. Towards the first response, as I mentioned, MHC found a niche and it has been successful. It was never targeted at the major haunts but more at the people who could not afford to go, or who were not welcome at, Transworld. So I understand your position. As for the timing, that is the tricky part. A lot of haunt vendors say January, and even February, is too early. If the "major vendors" need an earlier show they should consider doing a showcase type event and fly in their major buyers.

Towards the second response, thank you for your buying numbers. I would like to know if anyone else reading this thread buys in that quantity from a foliage vendor. I am trying to gauge how seriously I should try recruiting other types of vendors.

hauntedhousenut
06-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Besides transworld and IAAPA, have you ever been a vendor at another trade show, and how did you fare?

mindtumor
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Larry,
Thank you for the responses. Towards the first response, as I mentioned, MHC found a niche and it has been successful. It was never targeted at the major haunts but more at the people who could not afford to go, or who were not welcome at, Transworld. So I understand your position. As for the timing, that is the tricky part. A lot of haunt vendors say January, and even February, is too early. If the "major vendors" need an earlier show they should consider doing a showcase type event and fly in their major buyers.

Towards the second response, thank you for your buying numbers. I would like to know if anyone else reading this thread buys in that quantity from a foliage vendor. I am trying to gauge how seriously I should try recruiting other types of vendors.

I would spend a few thousand with a foliage company. I doubt I would ever spend 30K but my haunt isn't as big.

graystone
06-23-2008, 02:31 PM
For the love of Pete would someone please find a foliage company heck I will even pay the booth rent. Lord forbid if we leave any folage company out that has already had the chance to show but none of them thinks its worth their time!!!! Ken? Tater? Nut? Bama? Paul? Anyone? can I get an AMEN! Shane

drfrightner
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Shane,

Are you saying you would like info on where to find a foliage company?

I posted a URL to their website address.

Other than that I can see you are back in full force!

Larry

Matt Marich
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
fo·li·age / Show Spelled Pronunciation[foh-lee-ij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the leaves of a plant, collectively; leafage.
2. leaves in general.
3. the representation of leaves, flowers, and branches in painting, architectural ornament, etc.

graystone
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry I am not up to your grammer standards. Next time I post I will get up with you and make sure its to your approval. I think you may be trying for the position of hall monitor of HauntWorld. Then again maybe your vying for a teaching position here. Matt nothing personal next time instead of trying to correct my spelling do as I did and show an opinion on the topic. Whether I agree or not I will respect you more for giving your opinion on a topic rather than try to correct me like a child. And this is coming from one man to another. Shane

hauntedhousenut
06-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Nice cut and paste, I wish you were this articulate in person Matt!><

Jim Warfield
06-24-2008, 01:13 AM
"Farticulate" Seems to glue the word "Fart" to the word "Particle".
I hate it when I Fart Particles
("Schrapnel!")!

Ken Spriggs
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Jim......

as long as you don't shart....I think you will be ok!

AMEN BROTHER SHANE!!

Jim Warfield
06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Well it could get better for one of us..this weeks offering will be donated to Mr. Tuxedo's illegitimate love-child Sparky, send the box full of money to :
Ravens Grin
411 N. Carroll St.
Mutt Carnal, Ilinioids

damon carson
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Ewww Sparky! I love that name! Jim isnt that the old bum that gets drunk over at charlies and then sleeps out in the sausage wagon in your backyard?
Damon